PDA

View Full Version : Directv Question

jthomasou78
8/30/2011, 10:05 AM
So I have had Directv for a while, this summer I built a mancave with dual LED big screens. Does anyone know if a splitter will work to run both TVs out of one cable outlet. Or do I need to get in the attic and pull the cable out off the room where a TV previously was, rewire it into the new room so that each tv has its own cable.

rekamrettuB
8/30/2011, 10:16 AM
Nope. That cable box, even tho it probably has a dual tuner, will display the same on both TVs. You would need a 2nd box.

What I have done is run a cable from another box in a seperate room (office) and worked it like that.

pphilfran
8/30/2011, 10:16 AM
You will have the same pic on both sets...

Rusty Shackleford
8/30/2011, 10:33 AM
You may have already done this, but just in case. You will want to set one of the receivers up to work by RF instead of IR so that you can change one without changing the other.

jthomasou78
8/30/2011, 10:35 AM
I have two different boxes....but do i need two seperate cable lines running into the room. Or can i use a cable splitter out of the wall.

achiro
8/30/2011, 10:38 AM
Splitter will work if you have 2 boxes.

pphilfran
8/30/2011, 10:38 AM
I have two different boxes....but do i need two seperate cable lines running into the room. Or can i use a cable splitter out of the wall.

You talking about splitting the sat feed prior to the boxes?

That you can do....

rekamrettuB
8/30/2011, 10:48 AM

O I C

That I don't know. You are talking about having 1 cable from the satelite itself to the wall then splitting it into your two boxes? I'm not sure how the new LNBs work but I would think you would need a cable for each box from the satelite. Otherwise you could just have 1 cable running from the satelitte itself and then splitting it in the attic instead of 4 cables all running to different rooms. I guess video quality could be an issue.

soonerboomer93
8/30/2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think a splitter will work with multiple lnb satellites. When I was at dish we didn't support them as everything like that had to go through a switch.

OrlandoSooner
8/30/2011, 01:36 PM
I can't speak to the cable question, but contrats on the man cave!

I built my own screen and love it. Can't wait til OU football.

BudSooner
8/30/2011, 07:30 PM
Split it after the satellite receiver, one box for two tvs but as was said earlier....you will have the same picture on both sets.

Get a RF remote control to control the box from a different room.

BudSooner
8/30/2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah, that I remember from my satellite days....damn we had some dumb asses trying to set up their own stuff.

Rusty Shackleford
8/31/2011, 08:32 AM
Split it after the satellite receiver, one box for two tvs but as was said earlier....you will have the same picture on both sets.

Get a RF remote control to control the box from a different room.

No need to get one unless he just wants to. The directv remote will function on RF mode.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/31/2011, 02:04 PM
Okay, a few more nuggets of information.

One, it depends entirely on which box you're using to power your LNB. If there's a box somewhere else and it's the one passing power through the demark to service the LNB, you're good for single LNB set-ups. Otherwise you'll need a power-passing splitter and know which leg is set up to pass power at the demark. This also applies for multi-LNB set-ups.

Two, well, you're not good. Not yet. IF you're powering your LNB from elsewhere you'll also need to check the pass range of the splitters you'll need. It's been forever ago since I've stabbed a dish but then you needed a very broad splitter just to pass the appropriate range. A 5-2200MHz used to be the standard but I don't know what range you need to pass now. Your common cable splitters are usually 5-1000 or 5-1500s so those won't work. Don't forget your number one source of attenuation is at the connector as well so craft quality fittings and know either how many dBmV you need at the set top or how many maximum set tops your LNB set-up is designed to output. From there, with the appropriate splitter range, you can count losses per leg to see if you're good.

Three, with all that in mind, it may very well be easier to relocate a drop and trim it out for what you need or throw a new duplex home run to the room.

Regardless of what you decide, it can be done. But unlike cable, there's a few things you have to prepare for to make it work. Good luck!

jkjsooner
8/31/2011, 02:46 PM
I need to piggyback a question onto this. I'm having DirectTv installed in my new house. I only have two lines going from outside to the closet where things are distributed. One of these will need to be used for Internet. The other will be for DirecTv. I believe this will mean that I will need to use a SWM LNB.

Is that now standard or is that something I need to order separately. I'm a little confused about the process to get this all set up because the DirecTv website doesn't get into this level of detail.

jthomasou78
9/3/2011, 12:15 PM
Got a satellite splitter at Radio Shack for 10 bucks and it worked. I split the cable into two boxes and got two different feeds.

trey
9/3/2011, 12:29 PM
Splitter will work if you have 2 boxes.

this correct. i have mine set up right now.

i bring the tv and box from the bedroom to the livingroom and use a splitter. i have mine set up so that i can have 4 games playing a once that i am able to pause and rewind. obviously i can only see two at a time, but it's easy to switch tuners and rewind if i miss something.

trey
9/3/2011, 12:31 PM
I need to piggyback a question onto this. I'm having DirectTv installed in my new house. I only have two lines going from outside to the closet where things are distributed. One of these will need to be used for Internet. The other will be for DirecTv. I believe this will mean that I will need to use a SWM LNB.

Is that now standard or is that something I need to order separately. I'm a little confused about the process to get this all set up because the DirecTv website doesn't get into this level of detail.

i asked my installer and he went to his truck and gave me a splitter. i love directv

SoonerBorn68
9/4/2011, 04:48 AM
When I'm out on the rig I use a passive multi switch to get 2 lines to my dvr & 2 for the other other sat boxes in our trailer. 2 in's from the LNB & 4 outs for the receivers. I bought mine at Radio Shack for $30. Works like a charm. Recorded the game last night.

SoonerBorn68
9/4/2011, 04:48 AM
I've found the regular sat splitters will omit some channels.

BudSooner
9/4/2011, 02:09 PM
I've found the regular sat splitters will omit some channels.Yeah I think what is needed is a "diplexer" rather than a splitter, a true cable splitter will only give you like half the channels on one and the other half on the other box.

Because it SPLITS the signal, where teh diplexer combines teh signal.

jkjsooner
9/5/2011, 08:51 AM
I've found the regular sat splitters will omit some channels.

I think the issue is that the receiver "selects" the satellite's frequency/polarity and sends only this signal down the line. The box selects this by sending a specific oltage that is to the dish. I believe in the old SD technology there were two frequency bands and two polarites. If you simply split the signal before running to the boxes you will only be able to receive the same group of channels on each box. My guess is that that you will select the frequency/polarity corresponding to the highest voltage selector.

I could be a little off there but I think that is the issue. I'm not sure how SWM has changed this.