PDA

View Full Version : Can Dominique Whaley be the guy? Or at least one of the guys?

cleller
8/30/2011, 07:55 AM
So the latest depth chart lists Brennan Clay OR Whaley as the starter. Who knows what the coaches intentions are, but I'm developing a soft spot for Whaley. Finch has the talent, but seems to be down on the chart due to ball security issues. In the little bit I've read up on Whaley he seems like one solid, squared away young man. Fitting, since his parents are in the army. Looks like he played some of his HS football in Germany before ending up in Lawton.

The kid seems to be loaded with willpower, and out to make his own opportunities. Bet Heupel takes notice of that. We obviously have some big name recruits trying to establish themselves, I just hope Whaley can make something happen to grab a piece of the pie.

Not to mention, he's fast:
http://www.stripes.com/sports/dodds-europe-combine-a-way-for-players-to-get-noticed-1.50256

OU Engineer
8/30/2011, 08:29 AM
I'm really excited to see him in action. Th last time I was this excited about someone was when Demarco Murray was AD's backup... and I learned about both guys through playing NCAA...

Soonermagik
8/30/2011, 08:43 AM
I heard that he was the best all around back due to blocking, not fumbling and his work ethic. I think he will be a solid back. However, Stoops already said it's going to be RB by committee and not one guy. Stoops wants constant fresh legs and for these guys to compete against one another to get more playing time.

Bringing in a fresh back will ensure they have a legit threat at RB at all times. Honestly, it could be better than just the Murray show, because he seemed to wear down in the 4th quarter.

MountainOkie
8/30/2011, 09:29 AM
I'm not too sure about the running back by committee approach. If a guy is hot you should run him and not substitute people just to substitute people.

But with that said we're talking about a Stoops team here with Heupel as OC. I can think of no other people better qualified to make the right decisions on the football field.

Stoops has always rewarded work ethic. I would not be surprised to see Whaley secure the starting job if he continues to work his tail off and produce on the field.

BoomerJ
8/30/2011, 09:38 AM
I keep thinking of the spring game where he broke a tackle and ran for something like 40 yards. I'd like to see him do it again Saturday night.

I think we'll see three for four rotate, but I believe Stoops himself has said that if someone gets hot then they will stay out there more.

Lawton4Life
8/30/2011, 09:59 AM
I am always down with players from Lawton

Buster
8/30/2011, 10:24 AM
Dean Blevins said yesterday that he had broke some of AD's records on S&C testing...things are pointing at this kid being for real

sooner59
8/30/2011, 10:36 AM
Should we call him "All Week"?

TheresOnlyOne
8/30/2011, 10:37 AM
We havent seen a back break long runs since AD. That would be awesome if that changed this year!!

Lawton4Life
8/30/2011, 10:39 AM
We havent seen a back break long runs since AD. That would be awesome if that changed this year!!

Demarco vs Texas and Utah State 2007 says HELLO :eagerness:

TheresOnlyOne
8/30/2011, 10:41 AM
Sorry Lawton4......two in 4 years. Thanx for backing my point.

Sooner_Tuf
8/30/2011, 10:59 AM

Today or TD for short.

rekamrettuB
8/30/2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry Lawton4......two in 4 years. Thanx for backing my point.

Well Murray has been that back for 4 years.

bixby28
8/30/2011, 11:13 AM
Didn't Murray go 90+ yds for a TD against Utah St. in '07 ? I recall he had a long TD last year against against Utah St. too.

Lawton4Life
8/30/2011, 11:24 AM
So now we're up to three, so take that!

Just messing around with you of course :)

cleller
8/30/2011, 11:30 AM

Domique "All Week" Whaley?

soonerrhea
8/30/2011, 11:34 AM
Its funny someone always wants to find something small to complain about when you have an outstanding player. Demarco Murray was probably the most complete running back to ever play at the University of Oklahoma when he was healthy. He probably was not the best pure runner, but when you put his vision, playmaking ability, blocking, pass catching out of the backfield I think he was the best. I think a lot of us are going to realize how great of a player he was more this year than last year. Not saying we don't have talent at the position because we obviously have great talent in Clay, Whaley, Finch and Williams, but Stoops himself said he never had to take Murray off the field

BoulderSooner79
8/30/2011, 11:53 AM
Its funny someone always wants to find something small to complain about when you have an outstanding player. Demarco Murray was probably the most complete running back to ever play at the University of Oklahoma when he was healthy. He probably was not the best pure runner, but when you put his vision, playmaking ability, blocking, pass catching out of the backfield I think he was the best. I think a lot of us are going to realize how great of a player he was more this year than last year. Not saying we don't have talent at the position because we obviously have great talent in Clay, Whaley, Finch and Williams, but Stoops himself said he never had to take Murray off the field

And you forgot the fact that DM didn't fumble. Even if the RBs by committee are very good in that area, I expect a few more on the ground this season.

CrimsonCommando
8/30/2011, 12:09 PM
Does Whaley have a nickname yet?

kevpks
8/30/2011, 12:12 PM
I'm excited to see the RB rotation. I don't think it matters where Finch is on the depth chart. His position is playmaker and he'll get 10-15 touches a game IMO.

Buster
8/30/2011, 12:13 PM
Murray was great, and the most complete, for sure. The one thing that just left you wanting is he never get the burst back like he had that first year.

NormanPride
8/30/2011, 12:16 PM
Cream rises to the top. I bet we run the ball enough vs. Tulsa that we find out who our best guys are to carry the rock.

I am a huge fan of DW, though. He brings a level of physicality to the position that we haven't had in a long time.

MeMyself&Me
8/30/2011, 12:25 PM
I have not seen this guy run at all. Not even a highlight but the talk about him breaking AD's s&c numbers caught my attention. Would LOVE to have someone like that lined up behind Milliard!

nativesooner
8/30/2011, 12:58 PM
Dom is a good dude too! He said a few months ago that he was going to do everything he could to get on the field this year and make the most of it when he did. Don't write Finch off yet though. He's been working in the slot some so you may see all 3 at times.:hororr:

Soonermagik
8/30/2011, 01:15 PM
During the press conference today, Stoops said he would like to get the ball more to Millard. So, there will likely be 4 guys that can help run the ball.

misplacedsooner
8/30/2011, 01:30 PM
wow, cant even imagine the fear of a defensive coordinator with all those playmakers on the field then having to worry about broyals and stills(next game) too.

cleller
9/28/2011, 11:56 AM
Slow week, had to revive this for a fat, gloating feeling.

Lott's Bandana
9/28/2011, 12:05 PM
"Walk-on" Whaley

"Weebil" Whaley
He wobbles but he won't fall down.

"Dominant" Whaley

You're right, it's a slow week.

NormanPride
9/28/2011, 12:14 PM
I think his twitter is Domin8 or something like that.

cccasooner2
9/28/2011, 12:58 PM
So why are we calling him AW? I thought his initials were DW.

cleller
9/28/2011, 01:09 PM
So why are we calling him AW? I thought his initials were DW.

Its good to have a running back to generate conversation again.

Keller Sooner
9/28/2011, 01:12 PM
Whaley is the guy. I think he and Clay makes a good tandem. Let's hope the O-line continues to improve and give these guys some holes to run through. I'm still hoping we get to see Brandon Williams and what he can do.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 01:26 PM
Whaley is just a decoy until we unleash Brandon Williams.

badger
9/28/2011, 01:36 PM
Walk-On Whaley is a cool enough nickname for now till he gets his scholarship.

I have no problem with Stoops giving every running back that has been working hard in practice et al playing time. I'd hate to see us lose more to transfers at this point. Haven't we already dropped two since the season started?

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2011, 01:39 PM
Whalk-On Whaley

Kinda like Whill Wheaton

Breadburner
9/28/2011, 01:45 PM
Defense wins championships....

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 01:50 PM
Defense wins most often used cliche....

8timechamps
9/28/2011, 02:01 PM
Defense wins most often used cliche....

I'd have to go with "Bring their A game" as the most often used cliche....the defense one is a close second though...

cleller
9/28/2011, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Mississippi Sooner;3356426]Whalk-On Whaley

This one gets my vote.

BoulderSooner79
9/28/2011, 02:48 PM
I'd have to go with "Bring their A game" as the most often used cliche....the defense one is a close second though...

Dang, I forgot about that one. Where does "giving 110% effort" fall?

Mississippi Sooner
9/28/2011, 02:52 PM
Take it to the next level.

Spanish Sooner
9/28/2011, 02:57 PM
Dominique Whaley is Weapon X

rekamrettuB
9/28/2011, 03:00 PM
How about The Langston Reserve

SoonerMarkVA
9/28/2011, 03:02 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "yes" :tongue:

Jacie
9/28/2011, 06:13 PM
Since we can't have Demarco Murray for another year, he will have to be "the guy" . . .

Soonerjeepman
9/28/2011, 07:11 PM
I'm not too sure about the running back by committee approach. If a guy is hot you should run him and not substitute people just to substitute people.

But with that said we're talking about a Stoops team here with Heupel as OC. I can think of no other people better qualified to make the right decisions on the football field.

Stoops has always rewarded work ethic. I would not be surprised to see Whaley secure the starting job if he continues to work his tail off and produce on the field.

agree...but every time Clay came in he didn't gain many yards...Whaley avg 5 yrds? big diff.

C&CDean
9/28/2011, 07:33 PM
If anyone has actually watched our first 3 games they would get this out of it:

Whaley is #1. Not even a question. I heard today he had 10 knock downs as a blocker against Mizzou? Those are O-line deals, not RBs. Then, he does his deal as a runner/pass catcher to boot. Dude is the real deal.

AlbqSooner
9/28/2011, 07:46 PM
Walk-On Whaley = WOW!

sooner KB
9/28/2011, 10:44 PM
I think it would be an absolute hoot if we used the guys NAME as an acronym. Use the "D" for Dominque, the "W" for Whaley, and put them together to get "DW!"

cleller
9/29/2011, 08:03 AM
I think it would be an absolute hoot if we used the guys NAME as an acronym. Use the "D" for Dominque, the "W" for Whaley, and put them together to get "DW!"

I don't know if people could follow all that.

Oh, and he's going to featured in the next ESPN magazine.

FirstandGoal
9/29/2011, 08:35 AM
Walk-On Whaley = WOW!

We have a winner!

I'm just going to start referring to him has WOW

BeaSooner
9/29/2011, 01:05 PM
The more I read about this kid, the more I like him...

" I’m pretty sure the normal student lives life as hard as I do. Because I’m not the only one that pays for school. Right? I’m not the only one who takes out a couple loans to pay off their stuff. More than half the students at this school have to take out loans and pay for things, and they’re still trying to pay off those loans."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?/If_Whaley_got_a_scholarship_bills_would_be_getting _paid;_everybody_would_be_happy/12-12707

cccasooner2
9/29/2011, 03:51 PM
This picture is my wallpaper. This shot was on his 10 yd run one play before the first TD against FSU. Unbelievable that he still had the ball.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320849_10150302631267005_99307042004_8134855_14828 91552_n.jpg

mightysooner
9/29/2011, 08:48 PM
So far Whaley looks superior to every back I've seen out there. Clay hasn't shown me jack. He's good for 3-4 yards but he's not a game breaker yet. I'd like to see a Whaley and Finch rotation just to see what's what. Whaley has earned having the bulk of the carries though, by far.