PDA

View Full Version : So are you ok staying if it is Houston or SMU?

soonervegas
8/29/2011, 10:14 PM
It appears BYU is our last hope at a big name. If Dodds strikes out are you ok with one of the two names above?

silverwheels
8/29/2011, 10:28 PM
Nope. Neither school adds anything to this conference. Just waiting for the Longhorn Network to fail so OU, Texas, OSU, and Texas Tech can finally go to the Pac-12.

SoonerMarkVA
8/29/2011, 10:28 PM
No.

kevpks
8/29/2011, 10:32 PM
I'd only be okay with it if we got two other decent northern teams to go back to twelve. There just aren't many decent teams North of OU to choose from. Colorado State, Air Force? Those don't do much for me. It's a shame we couldn't have grabbed Utah before the Pac whatever go them.

Dio
8/29/2011, 10:34 PM
staying at 9 would be better than taking either of those losers

silverwheels
8/29/2011, 10:36 PM
Staying at 9 would void the ESPN contract, though, which is why it's such a big deal to replace A&M and it wasn't when Nebraska and Colorado left.

Sooner5030
8/29/2011, 10:38 PM
Y - BYU/AFA
N - Another Texas School.

yankee
8/30/2011, 12:17 AM
Not only no, but hell freaking no. SMU and Cougar High? We need to bolt if those are our two best options.

Sooner Eclipse
8/30/2011, 12:19 AM
Hell no. Since when did we sign up to rebuild the SWC. 1 texas team is 1 too many if its initials are u & t. I'm tired of watching ut trying to teabag every other school in the conference.

OUInformant
8/30/2011, 12:47 AM
If those two teams came to the conference with BYU, then the Big 12 would be really bad.

OUInformant
8/30/2011, 12:51 AM
I think OU and Texas have incentive to keep the conference together, as both of us have been immensely successful. Moreover, I would still rather stay in the Big 12 and take on the likes of SMU & Houston then go to the SEC.

MeMyself&Me
8/30/2011, 12:57 AM
It appears BYU is our last hope at a big name. If Dodds strikes out are you ok with one of the two names above?

If that happened and OU was in this conference for more than one solitary year, I'd start acting crazy. Really though, I can see it happening just for a season if for no other reason that to collect extra money from the aTm exit fees and give time for OU and other members to negotiate an exit. They don't have to be so forward about why they are allowing East Texas State into the conference or anything.

IlliniJ
8/30/2011, 12:57 AM
REALLY, REALLY sad when some OU fans on here consider adding SMU & Houston to what is left of the conference (with 7 mediocre teams left) an accomplishment. IMO it is a tremondous hamper athletically, as well as in terms of national reputation academically based upon who you choose to lump yourself in with (although a lot of posters on here seem to care less about academics).

It sounds like OUInformant and others are hoping that OU becomes the next Boise State, whereby you play a bunch of small-time games (with maybe one nationally televised game) which are almost all guaranteed wins, and then hope to get lucky in terms of all of the good conferences beating up on one another and drawing an easier bowl opponent.

MeMyself&Me
8/30/2011, 01:01 AM
REALLY, REALLY sad when some OU fans on here consider adding SMU & Houston to what is left of the conference (with 7 mediocre teams left) an accomplishment. IMO it is a tremondous hamper athletically, as well as in terms of national reputation academically based upon who you choose to lump yourself in with (although a lot of posters on here seem to care less about academics).

It sounds like OUInformant and others are hoping that OU becomes the next Boise State, whereby you play a bunch of small-time games (with maybe one nationally televised game) which are almost all guaranteed wins, and then hope to get lucky in terms of all of the good conferences beating up on one another and drawing an easier bowl opponent.

God, I thought you were banned already. Is your reading comprehension that bad? OU fans DON'T want those programs. Now go do like you did before and LIE on Texags that we're really excited about adding those teams.

OU_Sooners75
8/30/2011, 01:34 AM

God passed by you when he was giving brains, didnt he?

Peach Fuzz
8/30/2011, 02:10 AM
Guys, for the love of God do some research before popping off some names. I know it's still all speculation, but this isn't about geographic regions, traditions, rivalries. No, it's about the $, and what brings in the $? TV markets. SMU/TCU/RICE/HOU are already covered with B12 markets.

Think of it this way. What schools would be a great fit that have a good TV market? BYU, ND.
What conference is friendly to a program's own TV network? B12.
What schools have a great national following(TV market) and have/want their own TV network? BYU, ND.
Next in line would be what can these schools provide. No, football isn't the only thing. Academics is a major part too, along with all around university programs.

With all that in mind, which universities should be considered first and foremost in realignment talk concerning B12? BYU, ND. ND isn't as far of a hope as some of you think.

ouflak
8/30/2011, 02:21 AM
ND isn't as far of a hope as some of you think.

That's only because most humans are incapable of imagining infinity.

BASSooner
8/30/2011, 02:33 AM
SMU or Houston? How about neither? This conference will die. It is just a matter of when. You can't replace the exact prestige of what both Nebraska and Texas A&M had. The only reason why we're still in this together is because of beebee boy's desperate attempt to save his own arse.

There are obviously better opportunities out there for OU. I'm very glad that our board is analyzing the scenarios in a way that they are but it is time we make OUr move.

Statalyzer
8/30/2011, 02:39 AM
It's a shame we couldn't have grabbed Utah before the Pac whatever go them.

It's a shame A&M couldn't have just stayed. Colorado was addition by subtraction. Nebraska sure hurt, but this was still tied for the 2nd best football conference and could have been stable if not for some tautological arguments by Missouri and A&M.

Sooner95
8/30/2011, 06:40 AM
No. it's time to go.

Okie35
8/30/2011, 06:53 AM
No more Texas schools. I'm fine with BYU and another decent school.

Sooner in Tampa
8/30/2011, 07:31 AM
**** NO!!!!!!

Soonermagik
8/30/2011, 07:54 AM
HELL NO!!

I would only want them to stay if they added Arkansas, TCU & LSU. We all know that's not going to happen, so it's time to bail.

I would prefer the PAC 16 with Tech, OSU & Texas. Staying in a dumbed down conference will only hurt us in the long run.

EatLeadCommie
8/30/2011, 07:58 AM
if it is SMU or Houston, OU should pay their way out of the conference.

cleller
8/30/2011, 08:03 AM
Its sick that ESPN contracts, TV money, etc are controlling college football. I'd rather have old guys with hats and cigars control it.

Mississippi Sooner
8/30/2011, 08:14 AM
Its sick that ESPN contracts, TV money, etc are controlling college football. I'd rather have old guys with hats and cigars control it.

:texan:

Soonerfan88
8/30/2011, 08:30 AM
Y - BYU/AFA
N - Another Texas School.

This has always been my preference. I thought we should have approached BYU and Air Force as soon as Nebraska and Colorado left.

ouflak
8/30/2011, 08:45 AM
I am not interested in OU being a member of the SWC 2.0. There is no reason a program with this kind of storied history and current success should pave the way to its own mediocrity by being a member of a joke of a conference. We should never even considerate it and there is no need to. We are in a strong position. Use that position to get ourselves in the best situation possible for the rather obvious future.

OUDoc
8/30/2011, 08:49 AM
Not okay with any more Texas schools. I'm not all that excited about BYU either.

Taxman71
8/30/2011, 08:55 AM
No more texas schools, period...and definitely choose the SEC over the PAC-10. Would you rather drive through the scenic south amongst rabid fans or fly to the west coast and attend a 2/3 full stadium?

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 08:59 AM
"Rabid fans" is a nice way to describe the denizens of Dixie, I guess. I'll take the Pac-12.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2011, 09:04 AM
B12 is dead. Thanks *. I'm ready for the Pac 16.

MountainOkie
8/30/2011, 09:04 AM
"Rabid fans" is a nice way to describe the denizens of Dixie, I guess. I'll take the Pac-12.

As long as the rest of the PAC-12 fans are nothing like the CU fans in Boulder.

crackback
8/30/2011, 09:05 AM
If the Big XII stays intact in any capacity it will be trash. Forever behind the Big 10, SEC and PAC-12, obviously. Therefore the only saving grace I can come up with is an annual high profile non-conference game late in the year.

busynothings
8/30/2011, 09:05 AM
No. The Big 12 is dead, and we should be the next to jump ship - regardless of what happens to Texas or OSU. We need to be in a competitive conference, or we will be no better than Boise State is and TCU was, winning game after game in a cupcake league - which a great deal of the Big 12 already is in football.

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 09:07 AM
As long as the rest of the PAC-12 fans are nothing like the CU fans in Boulder.

That always confused me. They seem to hardly care about sports at all in Boulder, yet their fans are some of the trashiest in the country towards visitors.

stoopified
8/30/2011, 09:11 AM
no

Taxman71
8/30/2011, 10:09 AM
Winning in the SEC would be much more difficult than the Pac-10, but the fan experience would be 10x greater. The SEC lives for football and will remain the powerhouse conference for the foreseeable future.

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 10:20 AM
Sure, but then we'd have to hear **** like "TIGAH BAIT!", "ROLL TAHD!", and "SEC! SEC! SEC!" everywhere.

And deal with the KKK in Oxford.

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 10:28 AM
Also, they actually have to teach you how to cheer at Ole Miss:

http://vimeo.com/28218187

TMcGee86
8/30/2011, 10:28 AM
The only thing good about that would be I would get to see OU play live without leaving Houston every other year.

But **** that. That would be a joke conference.

Okie Hillbilly
8/30/2011, 10:38 AM
No to Houston or SMU. ND/BYU combo would "save" the conference, but I can't see it happening. The one option that has me most intrigued is a preemptive strike merging the remnants of the B12 and teams from the Big East, ACC, or a combination thereof to form the first 18-20 team "Superconference".

TMcGee86
8/30/2011, 10:47 AM
The one option that has me most intrigued is a preemptive strike merging the remnants of the B12 and teams from the Big East, ACC, or a combination thereof to form the first 18-20 team "Superconference".

I agree with this and am having a hard time understanding why Beebee is not pursuing (maybe he is). I would think the Big East would be desperate to stay relevant and if they merged with the Big12 it would allow that. Plus with a 20 team superconference, you are basically just talking about two 10 team divisions sharing a CCG. Mix in a few cross-division games and you've saved your conference without much hassle at all.

budbarrybob
8/30/2011, 10:51 AM
NO!
I don't want to be in a conferenced named the Big WAC

sperry
8/30/2011, 10:52 AM
We cannot get out of this pathetic conference fast enough. Being in the 5th best out of the 6 conferences is not an exciting prospect, and I think you can expect to be passed on for the national championship in favor of teams from the good conferences on a fairly regular basis. 1 loss team from the SEC would deserve to go to the national championship over an undefeated team from the Big XII-III, and I think they would get the nod.

Football Jim
8/30/2011, 11:13 AM
No to both,

I really dislike the Pac -12 as well as the SEC.
The money is there so that's where OU is headed if the Big 12 implodes.
I honestly would like to see the remainder of the Big 8 teams hang together. I am totally against adding any more teams from the old SWC.

OU will be fine as excellence always has a home.

Sooner98
8/30/2011, 11:16 AM
No to Houston or SMU. ND/BYU combo would "save" the conference, but I can't see it happening. The one option that has me most intrigued is a preemptive strike merging the remnants of the B12 and teams from the Big East, ACC, or a combination thereof to form the first 18-20 team "Superconference".

That's an interesting possibility, and would make the conference viable in the long-term. I wouldn't think the ACC would be interested in merging with the Big 12 because of academics, but the Big East just might. Of course this creates issues with other sports like basketball (which is very important to the Big East) - with TCU, they will already have 17 teams playing basketball. Add the remaining 9 Big 12 teams, and you've got 26. How this would be possible, I don't know.

MI Sooner
8/30/2011, 11:37 AM
Can the Big XII add whomever they want to keep it at 10 and maintain their current TV deals? If so, short-term, doesn't Houston or SMU become more attractive since they'd presumably be willing to join for a smaller share of the pie? Once these TV contracts play out, then see where you're at relative to other conferences in potential TV revenue, and decide whether or not to blow it up then. The TV money is fixed for quite a while, right, so long as the conference survives? If A&M is paying over $1.5 million to each school for leaving, and each conference member could keep an extra $1 million or so by reducing the TV share Houston gets compared to A&M, why would they want to blow up the league (at least from a $$$ perspective)? It looks to me like A&M leaving might yeild each of the other 9 schools $2.5 million this year, and $1 million a year going forward.

Frankly, I'm not so sure that Houston takes too much of a back seat to A&M in terms of their football and basketball accomplishments in my sports-viewing lifetime (basically the 80s on). They have a much less passionate fanbase and worse facilities, but by the time the TV contract is up for renegotiation, the gap between A&M and Houston could have closed considereably.

Peach Fuzz
8/30/2011, 11:41 AM
The problem is, nothing is just "that simple" with adding/subtracting. If the B12 is going to do anything, why would they just want a simple fix that won't help the situation AT ALL with SMU/Rice/HOU/ITT Tech? Might as well calm down, keep working behind closed doors, and sack up to give some deserving schools the golden offer.

badger
8/30/2011, 11:51 AM
I don't think Houston/SMU deserve BCS conference status. Granted, there's teams already in BCS conferences that probably don't deserve it, but no reason to add more of them.

I am not 100 percent adverse to adding a Texas school to replace a Texas school. I would be adverse to replacing one Texas school with multiple Texas schools. Four is more than enough, and I'd rather they not get a controlling majority, or even half ownership of the conference.

I know it seems like a pipe dream, but the option of having your TV network independent of a conference network will be the biggest selling point to the BYUs, NDs and Big East schools out there that we might try to entice.

soonervegas
8/30/2011, 11:52 AM
I am surprised the Big 12 and the "football" Big East have not discussed a merger of sorts as well. It would solve travel problems and guard against the inevitable 1-2 more pickoffs down the road. It would be a 17 team league currently, but at some point it would settle around 14-16.

You would get WVU, Pitt, and Louisville without actually getting them.

Benefits include:

Big 12 getting access to East Coast TV's
Big East getting access to some Texas players

Lott's Bandana
8/30/2011, 11:53 AM
Nyet
Nein
Non
Nay
Neg
Not
No

OUNASH
8/30/2011, 12:01 PM
No. it's time to go.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

EatLeadCommie
8/30/2011, 12:26 PM
No more texas schools, period...and definitely choose the SEC over the PAC-10. Would you rather drive through the scenic south amongst rabid fans or fly to the west coast and attend a 2/3 full stadium?
lol. I'm not particularly happy about either option, but in terms of what's scenic and what isn't, I'll take the Pac 12 every time. Outside of the Smokey Mountains, there isn't a lot to see in SEC country.

Sooner Wing
8/30/2011, 12:30 PM
I am surprised the Big 12 and the "football" Big East have not discussed a merger of sorts as well. It would solve travel problems and guard against the inevitable 1-2 more pickoffs down the road. It would be a 17 team league currently, but at some point it would settle around 14-16.

Benefits include:

WVU, Pitt, and Louisville dont do much for me personally. I think you add ND, BYU and (AF) (plug in any also-ran here). Unfortunatly I don't think that there is a snowballs chance in Hades of securing them.

If you can not secure ND and BYU then be proactive and head west. Get into a respectable conference that you have a solid chance to win 5 out of 10 years. If you keep the B12 and add nothing but also-rans it destroys the credibility of the conference.

Sooner in Tampa
8/30/2011, 12:37 PM

Benefits include:

You are forgetting about USF...South Florida is picked by many to win the Big East this year. Personally, I think they are a year away, but Skip Holtz is going to have a damn good team down here. Getting into Florida for recruiting cannot be overstated. Hell, Hillsborough County alone is a good enough reason to get with some recruiting pipelines built.

That being said...I just don't see the Big East and The Big XII -III being an option.

S008NER
8/30/2011, 05:31 PM
If those were the only two choices and we had to stay in the conference then pick Houston.

badger
8/30/2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, if we are only left with two options to replace A&M, then Houston would be a feasible alternative.

The football team regularly makes bowl game appearances, and the men's basketball team has made 19 appearances in the NCAA Division I Tournament—including five Final Four appearances. The men's golf team has won 16 national championships—the second-most of any NCAA golf program.

Its Wiki page says its also the third-largest university in Texas, which I assume is second to A&M and UT, so if we had to replace a Texas school with another, they'd be the one to go with.

I get that their football stadium is crap... that's where Reliant might save them. Other colleges use NFL venues or bowl venues regularly for home games. No really UH couldn't. Basketball stadium holds 8,500, which isn't too shabby. Their NBA stadium might also solve and facility worries there... but smaller bball stadiums can be d@mn loud and awesome on national TV, moreso than large ones. Cameron Indoor comes to mind.

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 05:44 PM
No one cares about Houston, though, and that's not going to change overnight if they're added to the Big 12.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2011, 10:26 PM
No. Houston and SMU are turrible options. Time to pack up if that's the best we can do.

S008NER
8/30/2011, 11:05 PM
No. Houston and SMU are turrible options. Time to pack up if that's the best we can do.

Texas political interference will be nothing compared to what would happen here if we were to follow a&m path.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/31/2011, 12:15 AM
What next, East Central?

ouwasp
8/31/2011, 12:36 AM
NO to any more Texas schools. Shoot, let's bring in Tulsa before any more blowhard texans!

Joe C and Pres Boren need to make sure the following events happen: Fire Beebe. Get the heck out.

PrideTrombone
8/31/2011, 08:23 AM
Texas political interference will be nothing compared to what would happen here if we were to follow a&m path.

I was thinking more of reviving the Pac-16 idea.

Mississippi Sooner
8/31/2011, 08:33 AM
What next, East Central?

Hey, they have a cool fight song.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2011, 09:41 AM
No, those programs are bottom tier and add nothing to the conference. I would rather disband than add programs like this...

Landthief 1972
8/31/2011, 11:20 AM
Dan Beebe has run the Big XII - II into the ground in his never-ending pursuit to keep his lips firmly attached to Dodd's ***. How about we keep A&M and fire Beebe?

IndySooner
8/31/2011, 11:23 AM
Texas has run the Big XII - II into the ground in their never-ending pursuit to keep their lips firmly attached to their ***. How about we keep A&M and fire Texas?

fify

Tear Down This Wall
8/31/2011, 12:14 PM
These two schools are like bird poop on a sidewalk during the heat of summer. No one really wants them...except Texas. The more patsies to us around, the better.

Looks like we'll fire up a little network like Kansas State. But, who really cares? The whole thing is stupid to me. Only the most hardcore idiots of each fanbase will subcribe. Every OU football game is already on TV.

What this is heading towards is each school having as many of its game pay-per-view instead of broadcast network. That will be a bad day. So, instead of watching an OU road game on a cable channel you've already subscribed to, you'll turn on that same TV and pay to watch the game.

Schools more and more view their fans as customers more than fans.

Hunyock
8/31/2011, 01:43 PM
So why is the Big Ten out of the question. I am sure that OU would have it's pick of conference if and when they decide to leave so it may be an option. As a Husker fan, we would really like to restart the rivalry with the Sooners.

silverwheels
8/31/2011, 01:59 PM
So why is the Big Ten out of the question. I am sure that OU would have it's pick of conference if and when they decide to leave so it may be an option. As a Husker fan, we would really like to restart the rivalry with the Sooners.

Big Ten isn't looking to expand again unless it has to keep up in the super conference race, and Notre Dame will always be their first choice until they join. Plus I don't think OU's academics are viewed very highly in Big Ten land.

soonermix
8/31/2011, 02:04 PM
as long as we are in a conference that has an automatic bid to a BCS game i don't care who is in our conference.

soonervegas
8/31/2011, 02:10 PM
We aren't AAU or whatever....and we are not going to go to a conference without at least one of OSU or UT

Hunyock
8/31/2011, 02:33 PM
I politely disagree. The only issue I see with the BIG and OU would be Geography. With the SEC moving to 13 - 14 teams, this will make them more interested in expansion. I am saying that it is a possible option.

MeMyself&Me
8/31/2011, 02:41 PM
Big Ten isn't looking to expand again unless it has to keep up in the super conference race, and Notre Dame will always be their first choice until they join. Plus I don't think OU's academics are viewed very highly in Big Ten land.

Notre Dame will never go to the B1G. CIC/embrionic stem cell research and the a Catholic school will not mix so Notre Dame is not an option for the B1G.

OU academics are on par with Nebbish. If they're happy with Nebbish, they'll be happy with OU. They will not take OSU though. That's what makes OU a no-go for the B1G.

silverwheels
8/31/2011, 02:56 PM
I know Notre Dame will never join the Big Ten, but there will always be an open invitation.

OU isn't an AAU school, so they wouldn't get the invite, anyway.

BigDeezy
8/31/2011, 03:25 PM
BYU and Notre Dame maybe even Arkansas are the best options if we are trying to preserve the Big 12 as a conference. I cannot see how SMU or Hosuton would add anything, and in fact may hurt us a bit in reputation. If it comes down to just SMU or Houston I think OU needs to go another way (to PAC10 or SEC). SEC seems like a closer fit, seems to me.

Taxman71
8/31/2011, 03:26 PM
Two things I don't understand:

1. Why osu has to be part of the deal.
2. Why anyone would choose the Pac-10 over the SEC.

OSU deserves to hang in the wind for all the crap they've thrown at us in the last 15 years and the Pac-10 schedule, travel schedule and tv schedule would be horrid. We would games on par with the KState, KU and Iowa State games, except they would kickoff at 11:00 p.m. 1,500 miles away.

BASSooner
8/31/2011, 03:31 PM
Two things I don't understand:

1. Why osu has to be part of the deal.
2. Why anyone would choose the Pac-10 over the SEC.

OSU deserves to hang in the wind for all the crap they've thrown at us in the last 15 years and the Pac-10 schedule, travel schedule and tv schedule would be horrid. We would games on par with the KState, KU and Iowa State games, except they would kickoff at 11:00 p.m. 1,500 miles away.

1. We're tied together via state legislature. A divorce between the schools will never happen
2. SEC is too competitive as it is. Pac-12 is better academically. I would argue that money is better there in the long-term but I have nothing to back that up.

Taxman71
8/31/2011, 03:35 PM
I understand the practical issues (i.e. - state funding) tying OU and osu together at the capitol, but fail to see why that is tied to an athletic conference. If anything, leaving osu behind should only increase OU's power and yield a greater advantage.

While the SEC is much more competitive right now, I think a coming-soon playoff negates much of that. Besides, the Pac-10 is just plain, ole boring.

silverwheels
8/31/2011, 03:41 PM
OU has more room to grow as a University in the Pac-12. That's why I prefer them to the SEC. Plus I just don't like SEC culture at all. It's like taking the worst parts of Oklahoma and multiplying them by about 20. And I'd rather OU not get absorbed into the SEC! SEC! SEC! groupthink mindset.

Keller Sooner
8/31/2011, 04:11 PM
We have three Texas schools now. The Big12 footprint is covered in Texas, Oka., Kansas, Missouri and parts of Iowa. If we add teams, let's go for more TV markets. Louisville, W. Virginia, Pittsburgh, or BYU. We need to try to strengthen the Big 12 market and I don't see how adding SMU and Houston will help. If we can't make the Big12 stronger, I think we should move to a stronger conference.

soonergirlNeugene
8/31/2011, 04:33 PM
Earlier this summer there was some talk of the Big 12 raiding the Pac 12 for Arizona and Arizona State. Did something happen to have made this impossible?

OUInformant
8/31/2011, 04:40 PM
When Texas A&M leaves, it is likely that we'll only bring in 1 team and remain a 10 team conference if the conference remains. I think it will be BYU based on what I've read, which is pretty obvious. We won't bring in Notre Dame and another team and go back to 12 teams. We won't take in SMU or Houston or any other small schools either.

Though Nebraska was a big loss, and I considered them to be one of the big 3 programs in the conference (with OU/Texas), neither A&M nor Colorado have had much success against/in the Big 12 South, therefore, I think the conference can remain viable if we can bring in another program like BYU. Actually, it could help OU in terms of recruiting, especially if A&M fails to perform in the SEC; that is, less recruiting competition in Texas and more exposure in the Mountain West region.

silverwheels
8/31/2011, 04:41 PM
Earlier this summer there was some talk of the Big 12 raiding the Pac 12 for Arizona and Arizona State. Did something happen to have made this impossible?

The Pac-12 Networks deal. One national network, six regional networks, and a ton of money.

Sooner_Tuf
8/31/2011, 04:53 PM
I'm OK if we are in a two team league with nobody but Texas and OU.

ouwino
8/31/2011, 06:44 PM
first of all, lets hope some cooler heads are in control of the situation than what we have on this board. i trust that David Boren and Joe C. will do the best thing for the University.

second. folks, OU and Texas are big enough to carry the conference no matter who gets invited in. personally, i think A&M made a huge mistake. they are not going to be able to win any more often in any other conference than they have in the past big xii. oh, they may get more money, but texas and OU will continue to get the best recruits out of the state of texas. texas usually gets 20-22 of the players they want out of the state. everyone else fights for what's left. and basically, unless there is an adrian Peterson out there, the number 26 player in the state is almost as good as the number 1 player. not much difference. and the last time i checked, a team is still allowed only 25 schollys per year. unless it is an sec team and they can offer 50 it seems. ???

in my very humble opion, i believe the best thing for OU is for the conference to survive. if it does.... i dont know. it does not look good at this point. however, if it does not survive, then i think the best place for OU would be the PAC16. if texas goes too. that way, we can continue to recruit the state of texas, plus, we already have inroads into recruiting in southern california... we will be able to get more.

whatever will be, will be. the sooners will be fine. we will continue to win championships.

sooner KB
9/1/2011, 10:35 AM
The Pac-10 schedule, travel schedule and tv schedule would be horrid. We would games on par with the KState, KU and Iowa State games, except they would kickoff at 11:00 p.m. 1,500 miles away.

Check out the game times for Pac 12 schools for this Saturday. It looks like the latest times for televised games is always 7 pm central. They are only 2 hours ahead of us. The only thing it would change would be a lack of 11 am games (a positive in my opinion). You're acting like the Pac 12 resides in Japan or something.

Plus, it's not like we would be playing very many games on the west coast anyways, if any. If OU, OSU, UT, and TT all go as a package deal, that would create two divisions with 8 teams. I would imagine our division would look something like OU, OSU, UT, TT, Arizona St, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. If that were the case, we would never even step into the pacific time zone until possibly the conference championship game. Unless they would have us play 1 or 2 cross-division games since we would only have 7 conference games. I'm not sure how that would work. I would rather have those 7 conference games and play 5 non-conference games though.

Thinking about it now, that 8-team division makes a lot of geographic sense. Seeing a conference championship game clash between the two culturally different divisions of the Cali/Oregon/Washington teams and our division actually sounds kind of fun.

saucysoonergal
9/1/2011, 10:42 AM
Pac-16, Clap, clap, clap!!!

MeMyself&Me
9/1/2011, 10:51 AM
Check out the game times for Pac 12 schools for this Saturday. It looks like the latest times for televised games is always 7 pm central. They are only 2 hours ahead of us. The only thing it would change would be a lack of 11 am games (a positive in my opinion). Your acting like the Pac 12 resides in Japan or something.

Plus, it's not like we would be playing very many games on the west coast anyways, if any. If OU, OSU, UT, and TT all go as a package deal, that would create two divisions with 8 teams. I would imagine our division would look something like OU, OSU, UT, TT, Arizona St, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. If that were the case, we would never even step into the pacific time zone until possibly the conference championship game. Unless they would have us play 1 or 2 cross-division games since we would only have 7 conference games. I'm not sure how that would work. I would rather have those 7 conference games and play 5 non-conference games though.

Thinking about it now, that 8-team division makes a lot of geographic sense. Seeing a conference championship game clash between the two culturally different divisions of the Cali/Oregon/Washington teams and our division actually sounds kind of fun.

I agree. I don't get all the complaints about late games. Games involving central time zone teams are not going to be played that late. The times when games were played that late for Pac teams were always between two teams from way out west. And yes, 11:00am games suck.

badger
9/1/2011, 10:57 AM
OU has more room to grow as a University in the Pac-12. That's why I prefer them to the SEC. Plus I just don't like SEC culture at all. It's like taking the worst parts of Oklahoma and multiplying them by about 20. And I'd rather OU not get absorbed into the SEC! SEC! SEC! groupthink mindset.

A Texas A&M grad I spoke with has this same worry, that it would make Aggie look even more Aggie to be around the SEC. A&M can try and claim academic prestige that some of the schools bring, but when people look at LSU, they don't see AAU membership or Princeton Review rankings. They see corn dogs. Florida? Jorts. And when they look at Aggie, they'll see jean overalls, white male orderlie cheerleaders and play army squeezing themselves.

Is it fair? No, but anyone that's traveled or talked to somewhere/someone outside this region of the country knows what the outside perception is. We are in Oklahoma, so we are getting sucked up in twisters while trying to save our Indian tepees. In Texas, they're all wearing cowboy hats while speaking in their southern drawls. In SEC country, its racist rednecks with southern gents wearing bolo ties while overlooking their huge plantation farmhouses.

Then again, the bratty coastal elites with their hippie joint smoking and law breaking counter culture crap might not be better.

basel90
9/1/2011, 11:14 AM
No way . There are way too many Texas schools anyway and these schools are low end and we have nothing to gain or prove if we beat them each year.

MeMyself&Me
9/1/2011, 11:14 AM
Then again, the bratty coastal elites with their hippie joint smoking and law breaking counter culture crap might not be better.

It will be better if we're kicking their ***!

OrlandoSooner
9/1/2011, 11:21 AM
No one in this thread has discussed that the exodus of current Big 12 schools isn't finished yet. If offered, Mizzou will absolutely jump to the SEC or Big 10. In my opinion, the worst thing the Big 12 could do is offer Houston/SMU the 10th spot. If that happens and MU bolts, we would have to add the other Texas school or someone else to get to 10 again. How does this line up look?

OU
Texas
Texas Tech
Ok St
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St
Houston
SMU

Not very attractive to football fans or TV sets. The time to move is now.