PDA

View Full Version : With A&M gone, Mizzou becomes the key to the future of the Big XII

champions77
8/29/2011, 10:12 PM
Watch Mizzou, as there has been speculation elsewhere, the Mizzou, having been embarassed by being left behind by the Big Ten, has been quietly behind the scenes positioning themselves to take OU's place in the SEC. Remember it was OU, not Mizzou that the SEC wanted last June. Mizzou sees an opportunity to take OU's place, and there is growing speculation that the SEC is warming to the idea. Missouri borders three SEC states now, and with the KC and St. Louis TV markets.

With a curious absence of discussions coming out of the Pac 12 regarding conference realignment, and OU snubbing the SEC, it is becoming more and more evident that OU is determined to make a stand in the Big XII. Silly delusions of attracting Notre Dame and Arkansas, who escaped texas's wrath some 21 years before Nebraska, and now A&M, is a long shot...at best. It is laughable the schools now being mentioned as replacements. Air Force, Houston, SMU, and TCU along with Brigham Young, who is not coming because they feel that as Independents, they can be free to schedule thie games across the country, free of the limitations in geography that Conferences have, to further promote their religious message. Haven't heard Rice mentioned yet, probably just a matter of time, as desperate times requires desperate measures. Back to the Future of the SWC?

So where does this leave the University of Oklahoma? I am afraid wishing that we had taken up the SEC offer when we had our chance. Great conference, great leadership (something the Big XII has never had) great money, convenient geography, similar cultures, great time zones, good weather, and a love for football second to none.

silverwheels
8/29/2011, 10:40 PM
Larry Scott (Pac-12 commish) is still adamant in his belief that the 16-team super conferences will happen. He sees his conference expanding again in the near future, preferably with Texas, OU, and 2 other teams in this part of the country, to lock up most of the major markets and schools west of the SEC/B1G. I think that is where we ultimately end up. The only snag is the Longhorn Network (which collapsed the Pac-16 proposal last summer), which I think will fail within a couple of years. There's just not enough good programming to show that will entice enough viewers to get it picked up by the major cable companies.

Boren also loves the academic profile of the Pac-12 and believes it will elevate OU even further than where he has brought it to this point.

Peach Fuzz
8/29/2011, 10:54 PM
I never really understood why we need to start stocking up on the tin foil. I don't see a worst case scenario for us, I mean someone please tell me what the hell is the worst thing that could happen to us? Why does it matter that we have to strike first? The schools bailing out are flailing around looking for life preserves, they haven't had much to ride on for a while now (neb isn't old neb).

IMO if the ship sinks, we will be welcomed with arms wide open somewhere that probably won't be too ****ty. Life has been good to us.

cantwait48
8/29/2011, 11:51 PM
well if the pac-10 commish wants to expand to that many teams you would think OU and tex would be at the top of the list. I still do not see why their needs to be 16 teams in one conference but it would be fun.

47straight
8/29/2011, 11:52 PM
Larry Scott is a visionary AD. Some of his ideas are far-out there, but at least he has ideas. Beats the pants off of Assistant UT AD Dan Beebe

delhalew
8/30/2011, 12:11 AM
I'm not the least bit attracted to super conferences. Say goodbye to regional identity. Say goodbye to intimacy. Say goodbye to tradition. All I feel is a great big Meh...

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 12:17 AM
I'm not the least bit attracted to super conferences. Say goodbye to regional identity. Say goodbye to intimacy. Say goodbye to tradition. All I feel is a great big Meh...

Me neither, but it's all a cash grab now. Well, way more than it ever has been.

the-rover
8/30/2011, 12:20 AM
I think we need to kick Missouri out just for starting this mess.

agoo758
8/30/2011, 12:26 AM
Except for the players. What's "just good business" for everyone else is a crime punishable up to and exclusively gasing stupid athletes

delhalew
8/30/2011, 12:26 AM
Maybe a twenty team conference split into two ten team divisions. Play a everyone in your division. Have your championship game, and then on to the playoffs. Nobody seems to care what I think, so **** it.

delhalew
8/30/2011, 12:29 AM
I think we need to kick Missouri out just for starting this mess.

I'm about sick of all these **********s. At least Baylor knows how to take an @ss whippin and STFU.

IlliniJ
8/30/2011, 12:48 AM
Heads should roll with the OU administration. While Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M secured far better positions for themselves, and while Mizzou has diligently been working to land in a superior conference, the OU administration sat back and made sure that the school gets left out in a barren wasteland for decades to come.

I personally wish that the B10 would have taken you, but can understand the academic concerns that they had (although OU's academics are improving slowly but surely). At this point it appears that OU is shut out of the SEC as well, leaving only the Pac 12 if OU can work out the nuances with appeasing Texas and protecting OK State (which is a BIG if).

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 12:51 AM
Heads should roll with the OU administration. While Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M secured far better positions for themselves, and while Mizzou has diligently been working to land in a superior conference, the OU administration sat back and made sure that the school gets left out in a barren wasteland for decades to come.

I personally wish that the B10 would have taken you, but can understand the academic concerns that they had (although OU's academics are improving slowly but surely). At this point it appears that OU is shut out of the SEC as well, leaving only the Pac 12 if OU can work out the nuances with appeasing Texas and protecting OK State (which is a BIG if).

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Shut up and leave already, troll.

IlliniJ
8/30/2011, 01:02 AM
Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Shut up and leave already, troll.

I can assure you that I am more informed on football and overall university administration than you can ever hope to be. If you'd like to respond to the OU administration's incompetence, lets have that chat. Otherwise, personal insults and ego fests are silly.

MeMyself&Me
8/30/2011, 01:04 AM

You have no idea what you're talking about and have nothing to add. You lie on other boards about us and you stir up trouble here. Can we perma ban this guy yet? I'd rather have whorens here than him.

silverwheels
8/30/2011, 01:08 AM
I can assure you that I am more informed on football and overall university administration than you can ever hope to be. If you'd like to respond to the OU administration's incompetence, lets have that chat. Otherwise, personal insults and ego fests are silly.

Judging by your posts, I highly doubt that. You don't know anything. You're just trying to stir the pot, which I admit, you are quite good at doing. Just because the OU administration hasn't said anything publicly, doesn't mean they're idly sitting by. As of this season, OU still benefits from being in the Big 12 and more importantly, benefits from the connection to Texas (the university AND the state). OU was on its way to the Pac-# last Summer with Texas (the main draw for Larry Scott) before the Horns broke off negotiations because they wouldn't be allowed to have their own network. That doesn't mean that OU is stuck in the Big 12 forever. It just means that Boren and Castiglione are biding their time and weighing their options.

zandozan
8/30/2011, 01:15 AM
I think the idea that the SEC shares cultural similarities may be true for a small segment of Oklahoma but for the state as a whole I believe we have much more in common with the folks going west. I have and I know most of my friends and co-workers have family in California and other western states. Plus I think people in Oklahoma have a more laid back attitude about things than our friends to the southeast. They have very specific traditions that are great for their schools but all you have to do is go to an OU game to see we do things a little differently. We're more concerned with kicking the ever lovin *** off whoever we're playing than doing chants, songs, wearing Sunday best to the game, etc. We also don't have a weird conference lust, we care more about our school.

We usually make fun of A&M for their slightly creepy fanatical fan base but I think they actually fit in better with the SEC. While I do love their band, the fake soldiers, nut grabbing, dog worshiping psycho fan base has always felt out of place among our conference. I think this part of the country, old Big 8 schools especially have a more no nonsense view of football. While we absolutely love the sport, the school and the players/coaches....we rarely take it to that 'other' level and most of us realize life goes on if our team loses. You can have passion for your school without being a borderline sociopath.

Sooner_Tuf
8/30/2011, 01:19 AM

Yeah you should try showing it. By showing it I mean that you are informed not your homo tendencies. If OU wanted to go to the Big 10 and there wasn't a slot they would kick Illinois out to make one.

zandozan
8/30/2011, 01:34 AM

I would inform you of how ignorant of the situation you actually are, how you mistake silence for inaction. I would have this little chat with you about how OU's admin is highly respected and prefers to work behind the scenes instead of airing their dirty laundry to the world like Missouri and A&M. I would tell you that our desire to stay with Texas has nothing to do with appeasement but everything to do with recruiting. I would assure you that OU's admin is doing everything in the best interest of OU and no one else. I would do all of these things but I think you're more interested in causing trouble than actually having an intelligent conversation.

Peach Fuzz
8/30/2011, 01:53 AM
J, I know you knew this already because you're so ****in informed. OU is working with the other teams left in the conference and upon aTm's announcement will be a part of invites to several teams joining. BYU, ND, PITT/AFA are the frontrunners. Maybe that's why we haven't jumped ship yet? Hmmm, you'd think our dumbasses wouldn't be smart enough to wait until **** plays out and do what's best for us, instead of running around trying to get a prom date the day before.

Statalyzer
8/30/2011, 02:51 AM
Larry Scott (Pac-12 commish) is still adamant in his belief that the 16-team super conferences will happen.

I hope he's wrong.

Yep.

I never really understood why we need to start stocking up on the tin foil. I don't see a worst case scenario for us, I mean someone please tell me what the hell is the worst thing that could happen to us? Why does it matter that we have to strike first? The schools bailing out are flailing around looking for life preserves, they haven't had much to ride on for a while now (neb isn't old neb).

Exactly. OU has no need to get frantic. Let Aggies be Aggies and Missouri be aggies as well. OU can just calmly ride this out while continuing to toss out winning season after winning season and snicker at the minions around them scrambling for every scrap they can freeload. It's part of the perks of being one of the top programs - you get to not waste time or energy being overly worried about **** like this.

Three teams that were underperforming decided they had to shake things up and take a risk because they weren't in a good spot. Missouri has been diligently begging for handouts because they don't think they are getting a high enough cut of revenue that they themselves didn't even produce. OU has been relaxing in their big chair, puffing a stogie, and laughing as everyone else is throwing resumes out across the country desperately hoping to get hired for a job they aren't qualified for.

SOFSooner
8/30/2011, 09:11 AM
What happens if A&M applies for membership in the SE conference and the application gets turned down? Will they remain in the Big XII? Or will the Big XII throw them out also?

soonervegas
8/30/2011, 09:31 AM
I think they are officially leaving the Big 12 today. Knowing Texas, they might not let them come back out of spite (if the SEC happened to deny them).

But they are getting approved.....or they wouldn't even have made it this far in ther proceedings.

saucysoonergal
8/30/2011, 10:02 AM
But aTm didn't leave. http://newsok.com/am-spokesman-denies-school-sent-withdrawal-letter/article/feed/290558?custom_click=pod_headline_sports

TheresOnlyOne
8/30/2011, 10:05 AM
Hey New York Times.........I'm bout to pull a Mike "Bart Simpson with a spray tan" Gundy on your arse........."Git yer FACTS STRAIGHT!!!"

SoonerDood
8/30/2011, 10:20 AM
I can assure you that I am more informed on football and overall university administration than you can ever hope to be.

That's innerweb speak for "I'm a 16-year-old with a keyboard."

Football Jim
8/30/2011, 11:23 AM
That's innerweb speak for "I'm a 16-year-old with a keyboard."
So right!