PDA

View Full Version : Texa5-7onghorns release depth chart

ATX Sooner
8/29/2011, 12:49 PM
...and Gilbert is still the starter.

As expected, Gilbert named UT's starting QB

The announcement came Monday at Mack Brown’s inaugural weekly press conference of the regular season, when the Longhorns coach released Texas’ first official depth chart.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ATX Sooner
8/29/2011, 12:50 PM
I'd post a link to the Statesman article, but their "Bevo Beat" page is down.

Here's the link. I love the last line in the article.

"Fans criticized him for everything from poor body language to the way he seemed to squint while looking for his receivers."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/08/29/and_texas_start.html

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 01:09 PM
It's the right thing to do from an experience versus inexperience standpoint, but I don't think he will work out for obvious reasons. I imagine that either in the BYU or UCLA game, Case McCoy will come in some time in the 2nd quarter and then if he doesn't work out, they will then try Ash. No offense to Jaxon Shipley, but I hope he ends up being a bust at the collegiate level. :friendly_wink: It's interesting to see that Malcolm Brown is 3rd string as the backs in front of him aren't exactly world beaters. Of course, only having the experience of fall drills makes it tough to get ready unless you are of A.D. caliber.

SoonerOX
8/29/2011, 01:37 PM
Lawl....Gilbert.

Muno
8/29/2011, 01:48 PM
It's the right thing to do from an experience versus inexperience standpoint, but I don't think he will work out for obvious reasons. I imagine that either in the BYU or UCLA game, Case McCoy will come in some time in the 2nd quarter and then if he doesn't work out, they will then try Ash. No offense to Jaxon Shipley, but I hope he ends up being a bust at the collegiate level. :friendly_wink: It's interesting to see that Malcolm Brown is 3rd string as the backs in front of him aren't exactly world beaters. Of course, only having the experience of fall drills makes it tough to get ready unless you are of A.D. caliber.

Brown was also hurt for part of their fall camp so his reps have been pretty limited which is probably another reason he is running 3rd team right now.

Muno
8/29/2011, 01:49 PM
I'm surprised at the number of younger guys in the two deep. It is very unlike Mack to play younger players.

Sooner_Tuf
8/29/2011, 01:54 PM
Mack is potentially coaching for his job and most certainly for his legacy. Seems strange for a team that has recruited so well to seemingly have very little talent. I don't know if it is the result of Texas football get fat and lazy or because Mack spends every waking moment trying to get his mug in front of the camera pretending to be more important to college football than he ever was or will be.

KantoSooner
8/29/2011, 02:04 PM
Trying to be serious, sober, level headed and adult: "Boy, Mack sure has a challenge ahead of him with that group. Probably have to really get back to basics to make that team go."

In my heart of hearts: "Bwahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha, Gilby? That stone loser is going to be eating more grass this year than Les Smiles! They might end up 4-8! Suck it Texas!"

JLEW1818
8/29/2011, 02:05 PM
they suck so bad.

somebody post that Mack Brown we suck picture please

EatLeadCommie
8/29/2011, 02:07 PM
Gotta say that I love referring to the Texas Longhorns as the Texa5-7onghorns. Bravo, sir.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2011, 02:15 PM
Mack says everyone has to earn their position... (http://blog.chron.com/longhorns/2011/08/garrett-gilbert-named-starting-quarterback/)

Wonder what Opie thinks of that statement. Because if true, he would be the QB of fond memeories, not Sissyboy, err, Limo...

ATX Sooner
8/29/2011, 03:06 PM
Gotta say that I love referring to the Texas Longhorns as the Texa5-7onghorns. Bravo, sir.

I'd love to take credit for that golden nugget, but I can't. It was borrowed from someone on this board and I can't remember who it was.

Will the real author please rise up and claim your glory?

Partial Qualifier
8/29/2011, 03:10 PM
hornfans is down.... them losers be trippin'

BigTip
8/29/2011, 04:00 PM
I'd post a link to the Statesman article, but their "Bevo Beat" page is down.

Here's the link. I love the last line in the article.

"Fans criticized him for everything from poor body language to the way he seemed to flinch while looking for his receivers."

Fixed it for them.

Best thing that could have happened for us. Hope he's still "the man" for them in Dallas.

adoniijahsooner
8/29/2011, 04:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Cv5TL.jpg

Statalyzer
8/29/2011, 04:32 PM
Wonder what Opie thinks of that statement. Because if true, he would be the QB of fond memeories

I think you meant to say "If he hadn't have blown out his knee twice."

It's the right thing to do from an experience versus inexperience standpoint, but I don't think he will work out for obvious reasons. I imagine that either in the BYU or UCLA game, Case McCoy will come in some time in the 2nd quarter and then if he doesn't work out, they will then try Ash.

Right now, McCoy is #2 and Ash might redshirt, but all of this is subject to change on a day-to-day basis.

I honestly think Mack is making the right decision now. Yeah, Gilbert isn't great, but given that, you'd think one of the other 3 guys could have consistently outplayed him over the spring and summer, but nobody showed more than flashes. If you can't beat out a guy who's struggling, that's your own fault. All of which doesn't make me confident in our QB situation no matter who gets the start - I don't understand the attitude of some Texas fans who like their favorite backup is a sure thing.

No offense to Jaxon Shipley, but I hope he ends up being a bust at the collegiate level.

I doubt it. He's better as a freshman than Jordan was as a freshman, albiet Jordan was still coming off a pair of serious injuries at that point. He's been destroying people in practice, but our CBs aren't exactly the cream of the crop (although I think Byndom and Phillips will be better than the Brown brothers were).

It's interesting to see that Malcolm Brown is 3rd string as the backs in front of him aren't exactly world beaters.

I actually think our RBs were the best part of our offense last year. Whittaker and Johnson both did well when they actually had holes to run through and when they weren't facing 8 or 9 man fronts because our WRs couldn't get open nor catch the few well-thrown balls that came their way. And DJ Monroe could be a star if he could get his head in the game consistently.

kevpks
8/29/2011, 04:38 PM
C'mon guys. Gilbert is a winner. Just ask ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/6901299/leading-mattered-most-garrett-gilbert-remain-texas-starting-quarterback

In the worst of moments, during the worst of seasons, James Kirkendoll saw one of Garrett Gilbert's best qualities.

"He was a winner,'' the former Texas receiver said of the 2010 season. "No matter what was happening on the field, you could go in that huddle and you knew you were with a winner.''

47straight
8/29/2011, 11:49 PM
In all seriousness, Mack's answers during the press conference were bizarre regarding Gilbert. Would not come out and give a football analysis of anything Gilbert-related.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2011, 11:55 PM
I think you meant to say "If he hadn't have blown out .

Did Applewhite have 2 knee injuries? I wasn't aware of that.

TahoeSOONER
8/30/2011, 12:32 AM
I'd love to take credit for that golden nugget, but I can't. It was borrowed from someone on this board and I can't remember who it was.

Will the real author please rise up and claim your glory?

That's me, thanks! It came to me in a laughing fit that rivaled the one above. I get much joy when texa5-7onghorns suck that bad and it's a reality check to those pompus bitches. ****em and I hope it continues....

Kick it off already!!!

Statalyzer
8/30/2011, 02:46 AM
hornfans is down....

It was up the entire day.

Did Applewhite have 2 knee injuries? I wasn't aware of that.

Most people forget that - even many Texas fans who were following the team at the time, which has always baffled me. Major blew out his knee at the end of the 1999 season in our embarrassing bowl game against Arkansas. He was co-Big 12 offensive POY (tied with the Heisman winner) that year. He was splitting time with Simms to open the 2000 season, which pissed off a lot of fans b/c Simms was struggling, but Major was struggling too. Finally in mid season he started looking like his former self - and then reinjured the same knee 2 games later and was done for the season. My theory is that Simms started virtually the entire 2001 season because, just like the year before, Applewhite wasn't his old self at the beginning and Mack figured going with one guy was better than shuttling the two back and forth like he had done in 2000.

In all seriousness, Mack's answers during the press conference were bizarre regarding Gilbert. Would not come out and give a football analysis of anything Gilbert-related.

This whole month he has been pretty dead-set upon not giving a straight answer on the QB situation outside of "Just watch and you'll find out on Saturday."

bluedogok
8/30/2011, 10:06 PM
We went to a quarterfinal playoff game between Brownwood and my wife's school last season, Shipley looked great but unlike Gilbert in high school he didn't have a ridiculous amount of talent around him. I think he will be very good.

Evidently Conner Wood is considering a transfer.
The Denver Post - Texas QB considering switch to Colorado (http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_18784971)

Herr Scholz
8/30/2011, 10:17 PM
Thin at O line and CB. Injuries there would be devastating.

Jacie
8/31/2011, 03:27 PM
It was up the entire day.

Most people forget that - even many Texas fans who were following the team at the time, which has always baffled me. Major blew out his knee at the end of the 1999 season in our embarrassing bowl game against Arkansas. He was co-Big 12 offensive POY (tied with the Heisman winner) that year. He was splitting time with Simms to open the 2000 season, which pissed off a lot of fans b/c Simms was struggling, but Major was struggling too. Finally in mid season he started looking like his former self - and then reinjured the same knee 2 games later and was done for the season. My theory is that Simms started virtually the entire 2001 season because, just like the year before, Applewhite wasn't his old self at the beginning and Mack figured going with one guy was better than shuttling the two back and forth like he had done in 2000.

Reading the boards then, there was another one besides hornfans I used to look at which no longer exists, it was incredible watching a fanbase divided over who should play, the insults and infighting, I had never seen anything like it. No chance of anything like that happening this season (seems poor Gilby doesn't have a single fan on his side except for the whorn coaches). However, if Gilby's play (and by extension, sa*et's record) mirrors last year and Mack refuses to put in McCoy or Ash, the message boards will once again be quite entertaining for everyone except the orangebloods . . .