PDA

View Full Version : RJ Washington & Jeremy Calhoun... busts?

Soonermagik
8/29/2011, 12:02 PM
Both guys were highly touted and have yet to make the depth chart. Can we pencil these guys in as busts? There are plenty of good RB's, so I feel that Calhoun has little to no chance. Maybe RJ can still crack the line-up, but man these guys have been disappointing.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 12:10 PM
This year will tell the tale. If they are "busts", they won't be the first 5 star rated prep recruits to not live up to expectations, nor the last. There are lots of reasons why it can happen whether it be injuries, lacking confidence, schemes too complex at the collegiate level, faced weak opposition at the prep level, zero technique and relied completely on raw skill at the prep level, etc. Hopefully, the proverbial lightbulb will come on for them and may they play in a really great way!

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2011, 12:16 PM
So far, yes.

Widescreen
8/29/2011, 12:25 PM
This year will be telling. I guess it could be that the lightbulb could come on for them their senior years but even if they contribute for one year, it would have to be considered a letdown for a 5-star recruit.

CatfishSooner
8/29/2011, 01:21 PM
I think RJ will have a pretty good year this year....Calhoun though is a BUST!

Curly Bill
8/29/2011, 01:40 PM
So far there's no question. They'd need big years to not be considered busts with the reps they came in with.

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2011, 01:47 PM
Calhoun has been a bust.

Washington came on late last season.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2011, 01:56 PM
Calhoun has gotten a few positive comments from coaches during camp - including from Stoops. That's a new thing. Stoops did mention that Calhoun's leg has gotten tired late in practice, so he must not be 100% yet. With so many backs showing talent, that can't be good.

Okie35
8/29/2011, 02:39 PM
No and no... Calhoun has battled injuries and RJ should have a good year (hopefully). Calhoun might too.

Curly Bill
8/29/2011, 02:53 PM
No and no... Calhoun has battled injuries and RJ should have a good year (hopefully). Calhoun might too.

Injuries or no, they haven't live up to the hype. They may have huge years, but so far both of em have been total and absolute busts as college football players, especially as highly rated as they were.

That being said I hope both are great students and great human beings, and they'll be anything but busts in life.

Okie35
8/29/2011, 03:00 PM
Injuries or no, they haven't live up to the hype. They may have huge years, but so far both of em have been total and absolute busts as college football players, especially as highly rated as they were.

That being said I hope both are great students and great human beings, and they'll be anything but busts in life.

Well put I just don't like calling kids busts unless they jump to the NFL.

Partial Qualifier
8/29/2011, 03:08 PM

Me neither and not to mention: the people who rate these kids often do a poor attempt at what's essentially an impossible job.

8timechamps
8/29/2011, 03:48 PM
Combination of the talent pool ahead of them, and the lack of continuity among the rating agencies. Like Okie35, I don't call college kids busts....there are just too many variables. The NFL, that's a different story.

Lawton4Life
8/29/2011, 03:50 PM
Stephen Good is about to get beat out by a Sophomore...

MountainOkie
8/29/2011, 05:12 PM
In my opinion, any kid who has the talent to even get invited to the best college football program since 1945 is not a bust.

Widescreen
8/29/2011, 05:19 PM
In my opinion, any kid who has the talent to even get invited to the best college football program since 1945 is not a bust.
I've seen other people with that opinion too. To me, taking a scholarship requires results, not potential or "talent". Texas had a bunch of busts playing last year. Why? Because they were highly rated recruits who weren't getting it done on the field. Bust!

However, some people are way to quick to label someone a bust.

gaylordfan1
8/29/2011, 05:37 PM
You never know when a player puts it all together and shows up.... Price Macon is a perfect example of this. The kid come up big last year in the win over Neb. He was def a difference maker in that game. So, these two may not be able to put together a cumulative resume of great play while here at OU, but who's to say they wont have a game or a season that defines their career here.

Sooner_Tuf
8/29/2011, 05:40 PM
For me it's hard to call someone a bust until their time is over.

sperry
8/29/2011, 06:22 PM
I think Calhoun was just severely and inexplicably overrated. It's not like he hasn't worked hard or lived up to his potential. I just don't think he was a super talented back. His high school highlight tapes weren't too impressive, and nothing he has done here has been great. He's a big strong back with not much speed or exceptional agility. He could probably do a good job as a goal line back, but he isn't and never was an elite talent, in my opinion.

Good hasn't been great either, but it's very hard to judge offensive linemen in high school.

I can see R.J. Washington putting together a couple of very good seasons to close out his career.

mightysooner
8/29/2011, 06:47 PM
Calhoun had a devastating knee injury and has been rehabbing for quite a while from what I read. He's finally healthy and ready to contribute but we'll see. I don't think anybody was going to crack the rotation with Murray in there though.

AlboSooner
8/29/2011, 06:49 PM
In another thread we will agree that the recruiting rating system is worthless.

trwxxa
8/29/2011, 07:04 PM

..or become punks. I have not seen anything that tells me these are not good kids.

A knee injury changes alot of things. Hopefully Calhoun can contribute in some way.

As for RJ, it he does not pan out it is on the coaches. They either did not coach him up to his potential or misjudged his potential in the recruitung process. RJ committed very early so they obviously saw something.

Crimsontothecore
8/29/2011, 07:10 PM
Who the hell is Jeremy Calhoun anyway? And to think people poked fun at Bob Barry, geesh!

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2011, 07:18 PM
When I replied "so far, yes" I just went with the thread title. I don't call kids "busts" unless they sabotage themselves with off the field stuff. But both these players have been disappointments relative to expectations. That was already true for Calhoun before his knee injury. But I hope they both hang in there and finds ways to contribute.

8timechamps
8/29/2011, 07:23 PM
In another thread we will agree that the recruiting rating system is worthless.

Can we just agree that is the case in this thread?

Okie35
8/29/2011, 07:26 PM
..or become punks. I have not seen anything that tells me these are not good kids.

A knee injury changes alot of things. Hopefully Calhoun can contribute in some way.

As for RJ, it he does not pan out it is on the coaches. They either did not coach him up to his potential or misjudged his potential in the recruitung process. RJ committed very early so they obviously saw something.

I forgot about that aspect too. You're right about the knee injury. A lot of athletes lose confidence after major injuries.

GameWarden
8/30/2011, 04:46 AM
May just be semantics but I have a problem calling a kid a bust who stays in school and out of trouble. They have contributed to the team, not just at the level that was expected of them out of high school.
I realize we need a term to describe someone who doesn't live up to their billing, but I always think of a 'bust' as someone who quits or gets in trouble. You can call 'em whatever you want, but I'm not gonna call 'em a bust if they graduate - only if they quit.

zandozan
8/30/2011, 05:03 AM
Who the hell is Jeremy Calhoun anyway? And to think people poked fun at Bob Barry, geesh!

I bet JERMIE is wondering who the hell this Jeremy Calhoun guy is too.

SoonerMarkVA
8/30/2011, 09:09 AM
I won't call a guy a bust who's had serious injuries, like Calhoun. That can be a complete game changer.

Washington I certainly expected great things from. I hope he still delivers, but thus far he hasn't. Makes me think of Rocky Bright.

badger
8/30/2011, 03:39 PM
Rather than refer to our beloved Sooner kids as "busts," I would say that if they were at LSU, Lester would have grayshirted them and then yanked their scholly while out of the office on a tropical family vacation by now. And how would they find out? A "Dear John" letter mailed to them, dated two weeks prior, when Les pretended everything was fine. :rolleyes:

Stoops, love him dearly, has given these guys the chance to adapt to college and rehab from injury and hasn't just tossed them aside as "busts" as they might be labeled in a different conference.

They are not busts. They are Sooners. Support them!

Soonermagik
8/30/2011, 04:17 PM

Wouldn't know how to spell it.. I've never seen his name on a depth chart.... burn!! ;)

Soonermagik
8/30/2011, 04:18 PM
Rather than refer to our beloved Sooner kids as "busts," I would say that if they were at LSU, Lester would have grayshirted them and then yanked their scholly while out of the office on a tropical family vacation by now. And how would they find out? A "Dear John" letter mailed to them, dated two weeks prior, when Les pretended everything was fine. :rolleyes:

Stoops, love him dearly, has given these guys the chance to adapt to college and rehab from injury and hasn't just tossed them aside as "busts" as they might be labeled in a different conference.

They are not busts. They are Sooners. Support them!

Sounds good, mom. I think the cookies are ready to be taken out of the oven. :)

BigDeezy
8/30/2011, 04:47 PM
Let's let this year play out before we write the ending to their careers. They might yet have a surprise or two for us this year.

BoulderSooner79
8/30/2011, 04:48 PM
I like cookies.

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 01:19 AM
RJ got significant time tonight and made a few plays. I didn't study him real closely, but I saw several plays where he had a tough time getting off blocks. I don't know if it was all him, or may have been at least partially related to scheme where he had to keep contain from his end position.

Sooner_Tuf
9/4/2011, 01:28 AM
RJ chased Kinne down from behind a got a pretty spectacular sack.

Curly Bill
9/4/2011, 01:31 AM
That's one of the plays I'm talking about. :tongue: The kid was so highly rated coming out of HS, I'd like to see him make a lasting contribution on the field.

Calhoun appears to be sitting like 5 or 6 on the depth chart. :subdued:

hawaii 5-0
9/4/2011, 01:41 AM
I stand by my earlier comment.

Washington had his name called a few times tonight.

5-0

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/4/2011, 02:55 AM
May just be semantics but I have a problem calling a kid a bust who stays in school and out of trouble. They have contributed to the team, not just at the level that was expected of them out of high school.
I realize we need a term to describe someone who doesn't live up to their billing, but I always think of a 'bust' as someone who quits or gets in trouble. You can call 'em whatever you want, but I'm not gonna call 'em a bust if they graduate - only if they quit.nicely stated! Instead of bust, you could say they turned out... "stunted".

tennsooner
9/4/2011, 08:25 AM

If he can't figure it out that might be a strong indication of why he isn't getting any playing time.:ambivalence:

PLaw
9/4/2011, 08:41 AM
This year will be telling. I guess it could be that the lightbulb could come on for them their senior years but even if they contribute for one year, it would have to be considered a letdown for a 5-star recruit.

It just drives home the point that these recruiting services and their "stars" are pretty much meaningless. You and I could go find the "can't miss" types like AD or GMc.

BOOMER

kevpks
9/4/2011, 09:02 AM
RJ Washington looked good last night and I would imagine he'd be an important part of the rotation at DE.

Soonermagik
9/4/2011, 09:36 AM
No offense, but he looked good against a Tulsa team who tossed in the towel in the 4th quarter. The sack he had was good, but he's got a long ways to go to prove he isn't a bust and I'm not talking about mop-up duty.

I really hope I eat my words, but we will see!

kevpks
9/4/2011, 09:55 AM
I don't know how much he played but I seriously doubt the 4th DE only plays in mop up duty. I said he played well. I didn't say he has lived up to the recruiting hype. A lot of guys don't. He is important to what we do on defense and we'll need him IMO.

TheChucker
9/4/2011, 10:48 AM
I like cookies.Me eat peanut butter

Eielson
9/4/2011, 11:38 AM
Even our All-Big XII runningback is third on the depth chart. Most of the guys ahead of Calhoun on the depth chart were just about as highly recruited as he was. If he had gone to another school and stayed injury free, there's a good chance he would have done well.