PDA

View Full Version : 8/28 depth chart...

NOVSooner
8/29/2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

NOVSooner
8/29/2011, 10:13 AM
interesting to note the RB situation with Dominique Whaley a big factor, Jackson backing up Franks. Fleming over Lynn, don't see Mccay, Mclain or Geneo on the 2 deep.

Mississippi Sooner
8/29/2011, 10:15 AM
I know Whaley was running like a madman in the spring game. Maybe he'll be a breakout star this year.

NOVSooner
8/29/2011, 10:16 AM
and to think, on the 2 deep, we are STILL a young team....

GameWarden
8/29/2011, 10:20 AM
WOW. I see my man Nila is already on the 2 deep with an asterik. Kellen Jones is as well and he didn't even go through 2-a-days did he??
Who is Caleb Gastelum??
Looks like Brent is trying to build a fire under some guys.

JLEW1818
8/29/2011, 10:22 AM
i hate to be the guy to bring it up, but will Kenny and Tony have to sit out the first half vs Tulsa?

NOVSooner
8/29/2011, 10:28 AM
i hate to be the guy to bring it up, but will Kenny and Tony have to sit out the first half vs Tulsa?

FWIW, tony "tweeted" the other day that he was not suspended for the Tulsa game and "never was suspended"....

LVSOONER15
8/29/2011, 10:36 AM
I never saw or heard that he would be suspended. They will play.

JLEW1818
8/29/2011, 10:39 AM
good

boys are gonna be boys

SoonerAtKU
8/29/2011, 10:54 AM
So, the only senior starters at this point are Stephenson, Hanna, Broyles, Alexander and Fleming?

There's some real talent there, but if that's all we're guaranteed to lose at the end of the year, that's pretty stunning.

srweinbe
8/29/2011, 11:25 AM
No J. Miller?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 11:28 AM
In reality, basically 6 senior starters factoring in TLEW's return. Landry is the only non-senior I could see having a legitimate chance of leaving early, but I think he comes back. Losing Broyles and Lewis hurts, but having 8 starters back on both sides of the ball along with Stills being the next Broyles in terms of productivity from the receiver position softens the blow. I think the same thing will happen with Nelson at the LB spot. The most important thing is Oklahoma not losing 4 or 5 starters on the offensive line like they did after the 2004 and 2008 seasons. That really hurt as we all know.

sooner59
8/29/2011, 11:34 AM
I guess Trey Franks is good enough that he is no longer in the shadow of Broyles. They moved them around so Franks, Broyles, and Stills are all starters. Used to be Dejuan Miller opposite of Broyles and Stills...until the injury. Either Miller isn't bad to full for yet, or Franks is impressive. I will assume the latter. Also, seeing more young guys cracking the 2-deep given who we have back is encouraging of the future. Guys like Nila, Kameel, Haywood, Tyrus Thompson, Shead, Torea, Chuka, Kellen Jones, Gastelum, Franklin, Hayes, and some other SO and JRs that aren't big names yet are getting in there. Obviously, this is probably to light a fire under some more experienced guys, but they have to be somewhat impressive or the coaches wouldn't even remember their names enough to put them on the 2-deep. My guess is that this isn't indicative of what we will see Saturday, though.

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2011, 11:38 AM
Stevens as the back-up punter? JS is the man and versatile too! And he has filled out the 5'5" frame with 172lbs of solid granite.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 11:43 AM
Trey Franks reminded me last season of a young and inexperienced Manny Johnson from the 2005 season and that's a good thing if it works out that way. Miller isn't a good practice player, but I reckon he'll shine in games this season as he started to show glimpses of last season. Oklahoma could really uses his freakish talent that he doesn't always seem to be motivated to use. Perhaps his final year will change that. These depth charts are always "iffy" any way as things end up somewhat different on gameday.

sooner518
8/29/2011, 11:44 AM

Gunna be a tough week for me...

you know I'm Gunna prepare just like I was getting after it on Saturday

You learn from your mistakes but it's rough when you already knew better

seems like Kenny aint playin this week

JLEW1818
8/29/2011, 11:48 AM
crap

instigator
8/29/2011, 11:56 AM
Someone want to fill me in on what Stills did?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 11:58 AM
We already know what Stills can do and he isn't exactly needed for the Tulsa game. It will be good to see what some others can do regardless of the receiver position such as seeing how Miller's knee is in a real game situation along with the return of Reynolds and the likely debuts of McCay and Jackson and McClain. I wish Tulsa's Damaris Johnson wouldn't have messed up though, so Oklahoma's really awesome and new and improved kick coverage could get some reps against a fine kick returner.

Hopefully, kick coverage is fix this year. Missouri scoring on the opening kickoff last season was all the momentum they needed, ATM built a lead on a kickoff return for a TD that just added to their momentum and it darn near costed the Sooners in the Oklahoma St. game. No need to bring up the pain from Shipley's 2008 kickoff return. Grrr...

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 12:07 PM
I wish Whaley the best, but I get that Eric Bassey, Donta Hickson and Sam Proctor "King of Spring" feeling. I love walk-on success stories though (except for the Nebraska ones since they were phony and actually scholarship quality players), so hopefully he can make a name for himself.

Stooper
8/29/2011, 12:25 PM
I saw the Hammer listed, do you think this means he will play?

OUbasketball4life
8/29/2011, 12:40 PM
I think the hammer will play until he is declared ineligible

Muno
8/29/2011, 12:43 PM
I always try to take these depth charts with a grain of salt since coaches like to use them as motivating tools for certain players.

CatfishSooner
8/29/2011, 01:11 PM
I surprised D. Miller isn't listed as a starter. We need him out there.

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2011, 01:17 PM
I would think the Sooners could afford a real Special Teams coach. I've been waiting for this to be addressed for several years.

5-0

Boomer.....
8/29/2011, 01:19 PM
Someone want to fill me in on what Stills did?

DUI in January.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?150798-Rumor-Mill-Two-Players-Arrested&highlight=kenny+stills

Soonerjeepman
8/29/2011, 01:27 PM
and to think, on the 2 deep, we are STILL a young team....

it's FREAKY...2 SR starters each on D and O...that's scary...can you image next yr...coming back with 9 players on both sides of the ball...wow...

** I know, we'll prob have some others leave..but maybe not...both Broyles and Lewis came back...

also RL still on list...good..