PDA

View Full Version : AD's contract is up at the end of this nfl season

SCxxSOONER
8/28/2011, 03:07 PM
Just seeing what everyone thinks. AD's contract is up at the end of the year, and if Minnesota has another mediocre season I think there is a possibility he could
test the FA market. What if AD ended up in Dallas. If he tests the waters i think Jerry will throw big money his way, plus its his home state. Thoughts?..

Aries
8/28/2011, 03:13 PM
Jerry has to deal with the salary cap just like everyone else, and as far as I can find right now, Dallas does not appear to be in particularly good shape cap-wise.

BudSooner
8/28/2011, 03:20 PM
Don't see it happening, not with drafting Murray, I just can't.

En_Fuego
8/28/2011, 03:39 PM
The RAMs would be great also.

boomersooner28
8/28/2011, 03:56 PM
I did here that DM7 does want to play in Dallas, but ya, with the way JJ has screwed everything up with the Dallas roster/salaries, I don't see it happening either.

Soonermagik
8/28/2011, 03:57 PM
The problem is RB's don't have a long shelf life in the NFL. With that said, I'm still sure people would pay him a good deal of money. The next big problem is salary cap issues for teams. I think he might be interested in leaving if the situation is right. I'm sure he wants to a SB, so it would have to be a team with a good line, QB and defense. That's going to be hard to find under the cap.

C&CDean
8/28/2011, 04:16 PM
Dear Lord,

Please, please, PLEASE let AD go to the Packers. Please.

Amen.

JLEW1818
8/28/2011, 04:18 PM
that wouldn't even be fair

OUster
8/28/2011, 04:27 PM
Somewhere that has realistic chance at a championship and has more than just running back as an offense, so that AD doesn't have to be the target of the defense everytime he's in the game.

King Crimson
8/28/2011, 05:50 PM
in Dallas?

i've never understood OU fans who honk the Cowboys.

misplacedsooner
8/28/2011, 05:58 PM
he would look great on my lions team!!!

BudSooner
8/28/2011, 06:05 PM
As much as I dislike them, he would be pretty awesome in Baltimore....with that offense and defense.

Yeah he would get his ring.

BudSooner
8/28/2011, 06:07 PM
Beg to differ about the Lions, until they can get and keep Stafford to stay healthy then the situation is the same as in Minnesota.
No way Matt lasts a whole season, he hasn't so far.

bluedogok
8/28/2011, 08:23 PM
he would look great on my lions team!!!
Dear Lord no....that is the place where Oklahoma running backs end their careers in bad ways.

tcrb
8/28/2011, 09:23 PM
AD would be a good fit on any team.

SCOUT
8/28/2011, 09:27 PM
I've always been confused by folks who don't realize that there is a huge OU fan and alumni base in Dallas.

tcrb
8/28/2011, 09:51 PM
I've always been confused by folks who don't realize that there is a huge OU fan and alumni base in Dallas.

Me too. Heck, there may be more OU alumni living in Texas than there are in Oklahoma!

bluedogok
8/28/2011, 10:11 PM
There's many more in Austin than most people think, I see OU stuff on different cars many times a day pretty much everyday. People wearing OU hats and t-shirts almost daily as well.

C&CDean
8/28/2011, 10:13 PM
I said Green Bay. TIA.

SCOUT
8/28/2011, 10:14 PM
There's many more in Austin than most people think, I see OU stuff on different cars many times a day pretty much everyday. People wearing OU hats and t-shirts almost daily as well.

You are absolutely correct. I specified Dallas because that is where I am, but it is certainly not exclusive to Dallas. Didn't mean to leave out the rest of the fans/alumni.

bluedogok
8/28/2011, 10:29 PM
You are absolutely correct. I specified Dallas because that is where I am, but it is certainly not exclusive to Dallas. Didn't mean to leave out the rest of the fans/alumni.
Just expanding on what you said, I see quite a few out in West Texas as well when I am out there....we're everywhere.

SCxxSOONER
8/28/2011, 11:42 PM
I just don't see AD staying in minnesota if they have another down year. I would love to see him go to Dallas although I don't know how realistic that is. But i would think Jerry J would realize how much that could help out ticket sales and so forth...It'll be intersting to see what happens

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2011, 12:59 AM
Maybe this thread could evolve into teams you don't want AD to go to.

I'll start with the Seahawks.

5-0

SoonerinSouthlake
8/29/2011, 07:30 AM
in Dallas?

i've never understood OU fans who honk the Cowboys.

well......like a lot of OU football players....many of OU's grads come from Dallas

C&CDean
8/29/2011, 07:50 AM
well......like a lot of OU football players....many of OU's grads come from Dallas

Well that's a dumb reason for liking that POS team with the star on their hat. I come from Arizona. I don't honk the POS team in Phoenix.

So, we've got Seattle, Dallas, and Arizona as teams Peterson should NOT go to. Who else? I'll submit the Bears, New England, and Buffalo.

sooner518
8/29/2011, 08:17 AM
neither of the Ohio teams.

C&CDean
8/29/2011, 08:20 AM
Agreed. Also, not the Raiders, Broncos, or Chargers.

olevetonahill
8/29/2011, 08:24 AM
And stay the hell out of Green Bay :D

C&CDean
8/29/2011, 08:29 AM
Don't make me come over there.

olevetonahill
8/29/2011, 08:49 AM
Don't make me come over there.

LMFAO, Hell you know I dont GAS about any of the Pro teams . I watched The Vikes/ Dallas the other night rootin for the Vikes in the 1st 1/2 when AD was in . then rootin fer Demarco in the second.

ouleaf
8/29/2011, 09:09 AM
AD would be a fool to not test the FA market next year....He'll command top dollar from any team, and I'm sure he and his agent will want him to be one of the highest paid players in the league....Certainly the highest paid running back.

I'd love for him to head down to Dallas, but I just don't think that is practical financially, plus the Cowboys have greater concerns at other positions than RB.

Just about any team would want him, but here are a few that I think would have the cap space and a legitimate need at RB.

In no particular order...

1) Broncos - they should have the cap space to make a serious move at him and have been looking for an RB ever since Terrell Davis retired. Combine that with the fact you have John Fox as a coach who loves to run the ball.

2) Redskins - as much as it pains me, AD could do very well in Shanahan's system. Plus you have an owner in Snyder with some of if not the deepest pockets in the league.

3) Bucs - They should have tons o' cap space and I really feel like they are a young and upcoming team. Add an AD in his prime to that mix and it could be great. Tough division and small market though.

4) Packers - unfortunately can't rule them out....I think they'll have the space to swing it, and he'd do well in their system. It is a small market though, plus it would be pretty ironic to have a Vikings superstar go to the Packers.

5) 49ers - Again would hate to see this, but it could make a lot of sense for him. AD moving to the 49ers could be just the impetus that organization needs to get a new stadium....possibly in LA?...Candlestick is ancient and in bad part of San Fran. Imagine those practices with AD squaring off against Patrick Willis everyday.

6) Falcons - Not sure if they'll have space, but it's a big market, they like to run the ball, have a nice young QB with other offensive weapons at WR already in place.

stoopified
8/29/2011, 09:27 AM
Me too. Heck, there may be more OU alumni living in Texas than there are in Oklahoma!The two largest Sooner Club chapters are in Dallas and Houston.
As to the OP AD is better off at Minnesota than Dallas. I would love to see AD get a ring but I don't see that happening in Dallas.

soonertravis
8/29/2011, 12:11 PM
I know his contract may expire, but if he doesn't sign a long-term deal with Minnesota this year, then I suspect he will be franchised for next year. All the talk about where he ends up is relatively meaningless this year. Assuming no injuries, Minnesota will not let him walk.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/29/2011, 12:17 PM
Well that's a dumb reason for liking that POS team with the star on their hat. I come from Arizona. I don't honk the POS team in Phoenix.

So, we've got Seattle, Dallas, and Arizona as teams Peterson should NOT go to. Who else? I'll submit the Bears, New England, and Buffalo.

Well I wouldnt like Phoenix if I was from Phoenix either. Until a couple of years ago it was the one of the most unsuccessful clubs in Sports history.

Your still mad because an Coach who came from Stoolwater and the U was incredibly successful in Dallas.

AD to Dallas would be sweet. Although it'll never happen.

Taxman71
8/29/2011, 12:19 PM
AD should go to the Steelers. He might make a little less, but his long-term value (Steeler fans never forget their heros) would improve. Plus, the Steelers (1) always have a solid O-Line, (2) always have a sold defense and (3) have their QB in place for the remainder of AD's career. Oh, and they also always are in the hunt.

swardboy
8/29/2011, 12:44 PM
I'll second the Rams. They're only going to get better with a young Sammy, and Steven Jackson is getting old. Good defense...good coaching...only need to add a true "1" receiver and AD, and it's titlesville USA for the foreseeable future.

And St. Louis ain't a bad drive up I-44 for OU- eans

JLMSOONER
8/29/2011, 01:05 PM
I don't like any of thE choices above. As a Vikings fan since forever, I thought I died and went to heaven when they drafted AD. Then they go and get Rufus Alexander and the Jon Cooper. Heck it was only a couple a years ago they were one game from the SUper Bowl. One itty mistake late in the game away from possibly a SB championship. Yeah, last year was a little rough but AD looks good in purple. I say he just stays there.

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2011, 01:08 PM
Tho I liked a few individual players I was never a big Cowboys fan. Dallas I mean.

Fer sure I'll be following DeMarco's career.

5-0

C&CDean
8/29/2011, 01:33 PM
Well I wouldnt like Phoenix if I was from Phoenix either. Until a couple of years ago it was the one of the most unsuccessful clubs in Sports history.

Your still mad because an Coach who came from Stoolwater and the U was incredibly successful in Dallas.

AD to Dallas would be sweet. Although it'll never happen.

No, I've disliked the kaboys since I was a wee lad. Being raised in Tucson, everybody was a Kaboy or LA Ram fan. I was a Packer fan since birth from my dad's side. I'm blessed enough to remember Super Bowls I and II (I was 8-9 years old then).

I pretty much dislike all things Texas. It's not just a Kaboy thing. It's a "we're bigger/better than y'all" thing. The only time I semi-rooted for them was when Switzer was the coach.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/29/2011, 01:53 PM
No, I've disliked the kaboys since I was a wee lad. Being raised in Tucson, everybody was a Kaboy or LA Ram fan. I was a Packer fan since birth from my dad's side. I'm blessed enough to remember Super Bowls I and II (I was 8-9 years old then).

I pretty much dislike all things Texas. It's not just a Kaboy thing. It's a "we're bigger/better than y'all" thing. The only time I semi-rooted for them was when Switzer was the coach.

by that Logic you dislike AD...he's from Texas ;-)

just kidding...I understand the sentiment. BUT my point was to answer the question why so many Soonerfans are "Kaboy" fans. Of course at this point me thinks you knew the answer already

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2011, 02:02 PM
He's not going anywhere. They'll just franchise him.

AZSOONER
8/29/2011, 03:17 PM
That is why the Rams saved their $$$ this offseason, they're planning to reunite AD & Bradford. :)

SoonerFan303
8/29/2011, 03:26 PM
Exactly, he is a Vikings next year no matter what. The Vikings will negotiate a long term deal with AD next offseason with leverage knowing they can franchise tag him. If he wants a long term deal it will be with Minnesota.

ouleaf
8/29/2011, 05:13 PM
You're probably right about the damn franchise tag, but it'll be interesting to see wether it will be the exclusive or non-exclusive tag....I wouldn't put it past AD for a lengthy holdout if they aren't going to allow him to negotiate with other teams. Plus w/non-exclusive tag, if the Vikings don't match another teams offer, they at least get a couple 1st round picks in compensation.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/29/2011, 06:09 PM

maybe not.....didnt they get rid of the franchise tag rule in this last collective bargaining agreement?

SCxxSOONER
8/29/2011, 09:58 PM
The fans in Minnesota love him, so it would be a huge blow to the fans and of course the team in minnesota. I just can't see him not testing the market if Minnesota doesnt improve this year. If
mcnabb doesnt work out hes gonna have to deal with a few years of them breaking in a rookie qb...Im not a huge NFL fan but i do keep tabs on OU players in the league, it would be awesome if he
did end up in st louis

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2011, 10:46 PM
maybe not.....didnt they get rid of the franchise tag rule in this last collective bargaining agreement?

No, they talked about it but it's still there. Sadly, he will be a Viking for most of his productive years...

kelloggOUballa
8/29/2011, 11:00 PM
You don't franchise the best player in the game. You pay him.

Aries
8/30/2011, 07:29 AM
As much as I'd love it, there's very little chance he would end up in St. Louis. Stephen Jackson will play 2-3 more years, and they will not upset him by bringing in another top tier RB. Plus, the Rams probably won't have cap space next year, plus it's against their overall philosophy to build a team with expensive free agents.

AD will test the waters, but there's a strong chance he'll stay with Minnesota. Yes, teams DO franchise the best player in the league, if they can't reach a mutually agreeable contract, to keep him with the team until they do.