PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

Lott's Bandana
8/27/2011, 11:43 AM
If I hadn't been in 9 hurricanes in my lifetime, the Chicken Littles on the Weather Channel would be scaring the pants off me. I think one Met guy would burst into tears if this Cat 1 Hurricane weakens and doesn't destroy NYC like he keeps predicting.

They just chastised people for driving around behind their cub reporter while he was broadcasting on location in Virginia Beach. "Why aren't these people inside?!!!" I'll tell you why...because a Cat 1 to a Virginian is like a Tornado Watch to an Okie...meh.

75mph winds is a spring day in the 405.

Petro-Sooner
8/27/2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah. Thought the media has been making a lot of news about nothing the whole time. Not surprising I guess.

proud gonzo
8/27/2011, 12:10 PM
The thing that worried me about it is that they typically don't have a lot of wind out there. I've been in Jersey when they had 45 mph gusts that took down huge trees. Because a lot of places there don't have that constant wind like we do in the midwest, the trees grow big but not strong, so those 75 mph winds are going to do some damage. So that will suck for them. Maybe Virginia isn't too worried, but New Jersey and New York never worry about hurricanes, and it's not something they usually have to deal with. Just like tornado season--if you know how to react, then it's probably not a big deal. But if you don't know what you should be doing, it could be a problem.

Lott's Bandana
8/27/2011, 12:25 PM
The thing that worried me about it is that they typically don't have a lot of wind out there. I've been in Jersey when they had 45 mph gusts that took down huge trees. Because a lot of places there don't have that constant wind like we do in the midwest, the trees grow big but not strong, so those 75 mph winds are going to do some damage. So that will suck for them. Maybe Virginia isn't too worried, but New Jersey and New York never worry about hurricanes, and it's not something they usually have to deal with. Just like tornado season--if you know how to react, then it's probably not a big deal. But if you don't know what you should be doing, it could be a problem.

Peej, I would completely agree...except their Nor'easters often much stronger than this storm is and they seem to handle those fine. Biggest difference? The ground isn't frozen and the trees have leaves, so the tree damage will be more significant, as you pointed out.

rekamrettuB
8/27/2011, 12:57 PM
Ya I kind of laughed this morning when they said "gusts of 70 MPH!!!".

I can understand why they are worried about NYC tho. It has time to gain some strength and all those tall buildings will be hit with a lot more wind than they are used to. The Weather Channel keeps predicting this huge domino display of buildings tumbling is eminent.