PDA

View Full Version : aTm and the Big 12

Sooner70
8/27/2011, 08:38 AM
Is there anybody else like me out there.....sick and tired of hearing about aTm leaving Big 12? It appears by all this talking, they've painted themselves into a corner, and they just need to go. Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out. That way, B12 can quickly see who they might be able to invite in....SMU, TCU, Houston or? There's been talk of even BYU, Air Force, Notre Dame.

If aTm goes to SEC, they will be sorry. Right now, they've worked their way up to being a larger fish in a good sized pond & in BCS bowl contention. If they go to SEC and run that gauntlet every week, they'll end up being a little beat up fish in a big pond, likely out of BCS bowl mix.

If Beebe doesn't get off his butt & do somehting, he may no longer even have a conference to head up in the near future. If OU, Texas, OSU and/or Mizzou bolts, B12 is done.

Is there anything to the legend that the Okla legislature made it a "law" that OU & OSU are joined at the hip as far as conferences go. In other words, they cannot split from each other by one going to a different conference?

MeMyself&Me
8/27/2011, 08:49 AM
Is there anything to the legend that the Okla legislature made it a "law" that OU & OSU are joined at the hip as far as conferences go. In other words, they cannot split from each other by one going to a different conference?

No. There has been talk that they could do something to force them staying together though since they are both state institutions and OSU not being in a BCS conference would hurt a state schools finances.

BUT, I think it would be political suicide to force OU in a bad spot to save OSU. There are a lot more OU voters than OSU voters. I think OU's admin holding onto OSU has more to do with trying to keep them on the conference schedule rather than tying up the out of conference schedule since OU is going to play them anyway.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2011, 09:02 AM
I for one would love ND, BYU and TCU to fill the 3 spots. I'd love to Drive to Ft Worth every year to see Sooners.
What month do the slopes open in Utah? That'd be an awesome road trip too.

I know these really are pipe dream right now (especially ND), but I think from a sheer football perspective, these would make for some fun additions to the conference.

soonervegas
8/27/2011, 09:17 AM
I vote for:

a. A&M staying
b. Still adding BYU and TCU/AF/or Louisville
c. Firing Bebee

badger
8/27/2011, 09:31 AM
I vote for firing Beebe first. The other two are secondary to that important step

bluedogok
8/27/2011, 09:40 AM
Everyone though that UT and A&M were inseparable for a long time...that isn't the case now. It is always subject to change. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/rickperry.gif

I vote for firing Beebe first. The other two are secondary to that important step
Beebee is nothing more than Dodds sock puppet, he would have to remove his arm from Beebee's *** before he fired him.

silverwheels
8/27/2011, 09:52 AM
As far as I know, OSU is not holding OU back from anything, so there's no need to dump them. Not yet, anyway.

FriscoTXsooner
8/27/2011, 10:44 AM
I think the Aggies are all but gone from the Big XII, either by way of the SEC or just simply leaving. The LHN was the last straw, and may be the kiss of death for the Big XII.. You can thank Recardo Cabasa Bebee for that! I would love to see TCU and Air Force + 1 come to the Big XII, but that won't happen because of their inclusion in the Big East. BYU or Utah wouldn't be a bad addition, but Please God, don't let Recardo Cabase Bebee allow the SMU little ponies to come to the big Xii, that would all but destroy any chance of respect the conference would have left.

yukonsooner
8/27/2011, 11:28 AM
I say tell A&M to hit the road. We don't want you any more. Force them to move, don't let them control the conference. They are just like spoiled kids, threatening just to get their way. I for one am tired of this drama every year. Let's just cut the cord an move on.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2011, 11:33 AM
I say we vote Bebee out!

I will say this though. If OU and Texas both stay in the Big 12, it will not die.

OU_Sooners75
8/27/2011, 11:34 AM
What about Missouri? Last year, they were the dolts that started this mess.

I say if any school wishes to be in another conference, then we should kick them out, even if they dont get into the other conference.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think aTm talking about bolting paints them into any corner. Talk is cheap and ultimately they will follow the money whether that means staying or going.

MountainOkie
8/27/2011, 01:29 PM
I say tell A&M to hit the road. We don't want you any more. Force them to move, don't let them control the conference. They are just like spoiled kids, threatening just to get their way. I for one am tired of this drama every year. Let's just cut the cord an move on.

In my opinion A&M isn't the problem. The problem is ut's pride. I mean look what their behavior has accomplished:

1. The destruction of the SWC (many people lay the death of that league squarely at ut's doorstep)

2. Nebraska's departure (Most of Nebraska will tell you they left because they didn't want to stay in a league run by texas. The last straw was the extra play the refs gave texas in the Big 12 championship.)

3. Now A&M has made a similar decision.

So, I don't see it as an Aggie problem. It is a texas problem.

If texas had never been a part of the Big 12 we would never have the infighting we've had to put up with the past two years. We'd still be playing Nebraska and have A&M long-term.

I don't like hitching our wagon to these guys because they're bad news (Judge a tree by its fruit) and have not been loyal to anyone but themselves in the past. That trait has hurt a lot of other institutions and conferences.

Texas_Longhorn
8/27/2011, 03:43 PM
1. The destruction of the SWC (many people lay the death of that league squarely at ut's doorstep)

No. It was SMU and aggy cheating plus we were not a good team the last years of the SWC. With the sanctions that hit some of the SWC schools and us not having good teams all the good football players were headed ot of state. Also, college football became big business and everyone wanted more tv sets in their conference.

OUNASH
8/27/2011, 05:38 PM
In my opinion A&M isn't the problem. The problem is ut's pride. I mean look what their behavior has accomplished:

2. Nebraska's departure (Most of Nebraska will tell you they left because they didn't want to stay in a league run by texas. The last straw was the extra play the refs gave texas in the Big 12 championship.)

If texas had never been a part of the Big 12 we would never have the infighting we've had to put up with the past two years. We'd still be playing Nebraska and have A&M long-term.

I don't like hitching our wagon to these guys because they're bad news (Judge a tree by its fruit) and have not been loyal to anyone but themselves in the past. That trait has hurt a lot of other institutions and conferences.

^^^^^This + ( Matt Hayes makes reference to this in his latest article in Sporting News) The problem is Bebe and Texas, He does point out that aTm needs to quit whining and just leave).

CBUS_SOONER
8/27/2011, 05:50 PM
I kinda respect A&M for standing up to Texass... Texass and ESPN will ruin the big 12

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2011, 06:01 PM
I kinda respect A&M for standing up to Texass... Texass and ESPN will ruin the big 12

indeed...ESPN had big money on the table, thus incentive to promote the lhn. Therefore, ESPN has incentive to promote whorns.

Every time a non-whorn big12 member sees a LHN commercial while watching Game Day, its going to **** them off

MountainOkie
8/27/2011, 06:37 PM
No. It was SMU and aggy cheating plus we were not a good team the last years of the SWC. With the sanctions that hit some of the SWC schools and us not having good teams all the good football players were headed ot of state. Also, college football became big business and everyone wanted more tv sets in their conference.

To be fair I asked around about this issue. Here is an article I was pointed toward outlining the circumstances surrounding the death knell of the SWC, linked with some message board opinions from the "orphans" of the SWC (SMU, Rice, etc): http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=75976&pid=684752

Aside from the questionable nature of ut's decision to keep it's SWC move secret initially (and the loyalty problems that points toward) There seems to be some indication in the comments down the page that ut blocked the entry of tulane into the league after Arkansas left. If that is true, such a move would definitely have worked against the best interests of the league and kept it from acheiving any possibility of continuing viability.

Additionally, I am curious about your comment that "everyone wanted more tv sets in their conference." Who do you mean by "everyone"?

Did "everyone" include Rice, Houston, TCU, SMU, Baylor and Texas Tech? (the last two of whom did not initially want to leave before they heard that ut already had one foot out the door) All of them seemed to be pretty happy with the SWC and its number of tvs.

Forgive me, and I don't want to be rude, but you seemed to use the word "everyone" when you seemed to mean just ut.

Finally, ut is still hated on the Arkansas boards. After twenty years apart! Why is that? I'd be interested to learn everything that went into their decision to leave the SWC.

Herr Scholz
8/27/2011, 06:59 PM
Finally, ut is still hated on the Arkansas boards. After twenty years apart! Why is that? I'd be interested to learn everything that went into their decision to leave the SWC.
It goes back to beating them in the Big Shootout in '69. Texas fans still won't get served food and drink in a lot of places in that state. Fayettenam is worse than Columbus, OH.

And you can't lay the demise of the SWC on Texas. Possibly the Big XII but not the SWC.

soonerstan56
8/28/2011, 11:58 PM
AtM,pay your exit fee "In Full" and move on!
I think the conference can survive without them.

Stan

the-rover
8/29/2011, 12:11 AM
I think the Aggies are all but gone from the Big XII, either by way of the SEC or just simply leaving. The LHN was the last straw, and may be the kiss of death for the Big XII.. You can thank Recardo Cabasa Bebee for that! I would love to see TCU and Air Force + 1 come to the Big XII, but that won't happen because of their inclusion in the Big East. BYU or Utah wouldn't be a bad addition, but Please God, don't let Recardo Cabase Bebee allow the SMU little ponies to come to the big Xii, that would all but destroy any chance of respect the conference would have left.

Utah is in the Pac-12, they ain't comin.

Sooner95
8/29/2011, 06:59 AM
Demise of the SWC imo amounted from 3 things..

1. To many scandals involving SWC schools (TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas and Houston) culminating into the SMU shutdown in 1987 and 88.

2. The conference was not that competitive after the mid 1980's. texas, SMU, Ark where the teams that carried this conference..you lost one, another was shutdown and another just wasn't that good.

3. Arkansas bolting for the SEC in 1990. This left an all texas schools conference..no way that would work..and soon the invites where sent out in 1994 to begin the setup of the Big12.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/29/2011, 07:32 AM
Utah is in the Pac-12, they ain't comin.

I believe the op meant that BYU is in Utah as well. Hence the skiing comment.

:bri:

XFollower
8/29/2011, 07:34 AM
To me it just confirms that any form of "Aggie" is worthless.

EatLeadCommie
8/29/2011, 08:47 AM

Exactly. And frankly, I'd rather have kept aTm, Nebraska, and CU and lost Texas. The league would be better in the long run with that option.

KantoSooner
8/29/2011, 09:06 AM
It goes back to beating them in the Big Shootout in '69. Texas fans still won't get served food and drink in a lot of places in that state. Fayettenam is worse than Columbus, OH.

And you can't lay the demise of the SWC on Texas. Possibly the Big XII but not the SWC.

It's always given me a warm feeling to be a bar in Arkie and hear the unfiltered hatred toward Texas. It's just so, so.....genuine. You can literally break up fist fights outside of Arkansas bars by simply asking, "So, who here wants to hate on Texas football?"

And, Fayetteville, you must admit, is absolutely gorgeous. One of the prettiest small cities in this part of the country.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/29/2011, 09:16 AM
I'm sure the Big 12 can find another program that can win 7 games a year on average.

Regards,

Ahmed Kabba