PDA

View Full Version : Guys, I'm worried ****less about those poor folks in the Northeast

Penguin
8/26/2011, 09:46 PM
Irene is about to wipe the East Coast off the map. :topsy_turvy:

Memtig14
8/26/2011, 09:57 PM
They're yankess, they breed like rabbits............they'll be OK.

BigTip
8/26/2011, 10:37 PM
I have a friend in New Jersey that is telling me all the preparations that they are doing for this thing. Makes me wonder what I would do to get ready.

proud gonzo
8/27/2011, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I'm getting worried. My dad's whole family lives in New Jersey and I'm worried about them. Plus my uncle commutes to work in Maryland from New Jersey every week--they evacuated his office when the earthquake happened and sent everyone home until they could assess safety. So he's already had one major event this week.

diverdog
8/27/2011, 01:28 AM
I live in Delaware and we are pretty prepared. We bought about 15 gallons of bottled
water, lots of batteries, a small generator and other items. I will fill up more containers with water so we should have 50 gallons or more.

My sisters beach house is exactly where Irene will make landfall. She was there
yesterday locking everything down.

Our biggest worries are the storm surge and prolonged power outages. The storm is
slow moving and will beat the chit out of us. Om top of that we have gotten a ton of
rain and I fear the trees will just topple at the roots.. I think our beach area will get
a lot of damage through flooding. The storm will hit us around 8 pm tonight. I will
report back later.

sooner59
8/27/2011, 03:28 AM
I am worried for people's homes and businesses, but the people themselves are given plenty of time to prepare or leave. I am sure they are given plenty of info on how to deal with it. Aside from homeless and the such...if regular people are too dumb to make it through, then evolution will make its case. I'm sure there will be lots of monetary damage. Most human danger is avoidable by common sense.

OUHOMER
8/27/2011, 05:36 AM
http://surfchex.com/topsail-island-web-cam.php

heres some webcams for NC coast. I have an aunt that lives in surf city nc. They boarded up and left town

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 06:06 AM
29 Million people to evacuate, ****.....they could not clear out Nawlins for Katrina.

Good luck with all dat!

rdusooner
8/27/2011, 06:37 AM
I live a few hours from the coast, just outside of Raleigh NC. The wind is starting to pick up, but even on the water, the news is only reporting gusts of 60 or so. Hopefully it won't be as bad as everyone around here expects. We've certainly had worse ones. I would imagine it would die down a bit before it hits the northeast.

oumartin
8/27/2011, 07:49 AM
Lots of worry over very little

cleller
8/27/2011, 08:45 AM
Lots of worry over very little

Already down to Cat 1.

sooneron
8/27/2011, 01:19 PM
2.5 hours of rain so far where I am in N. Jersey. It looks like we're going to get a ****load of rain and some high winds, which is not good as the ground is already pretty saturated. Add in big trees...

you get the idear.

fadada1
8/27/2011, 02:25 PM
just started raining (on and off) just west of philly. could be a fun 24 hours.

Whet
8/27/2011, 02:32 PM
Big hype, little impact, so far. Of course, it may wash some of the stank from NYC!

pphilfran
8/27/2011, 03:10 PM
I want some damn pictures from you people up thar....

BajaOklahoma
8/27/2011, 03:30 PM
I just want my daughter to survive it.

cantwait48
8/27/2011, 03:39 PM
we stayed on one of the isle's in jersey earlier in the year and when a 20-30 min storm would come over there would be 1.5 feet of water in the streets, I can't imagine what it will look like after all the rain they are going to get.

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 06:01 PM
Big hype, little impact, so far. Of course, it may wash some of the stank from NYC!Coming from the guy in the Chicago area. Home of the most corrupt state government in the nation and ****ING PROUD OF IT! :D

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 06:02 PM
Then again, my town has two dickheads battling it out for the principal chief of the Cherokee nation....meh nevermind.

8timechamps
8/27/2011, 06:06 PM
My thought was how bad this could be for the homeless in NYC. I'm sure they're over preparing the area, but after Katrina, nobody should take it lightly.

I'd much rather be away for a couple of days than end up like so many in New Orleans.

diverdog
8/27/2011, 08:00 PM
We are getting pounded pretty good right now. Power has been out for several hours, my yard is a pond,
the basement has some flooding and the wind speed is picking up. There have been several homes that caught fire. In about ten minutes we will be under a tornado warning.

diverdog
8/27/2011, 08:17 PM
Arrgh we had a tornado a mile away. Winds are now picking up to 60 mph sustained. Flooding is getting
pretty bad.

StoopTroup
8/27/2011, 08:55 PM
Geraldo has a new Condo in NY and he's out in the street and it looks like Steve Ducey peed on his head.

The Ghost of Mex
8/27/2011, 09:08 PM
Is sounds like this Caine has been ruled ineligible...

The Ghost of Mex
8/27/2011, 09:12 PM
I can't hear someone talking about Irene without thinking about the helicopter pilot in Black Hawk Down sayen' "F***in' Irene"...

Whet
8/27/2011, 10:59 PM
Coming from the guy in the Chicago area. Home of the most corrupt state government in the nation and ****ING PROUD OF IT! :D

I don't know, it is neck and neck between the state and Chicago for which is more corrupt!

SteelCitySooner
8/27/2011, 11:05 PM
ugh.. i'm in DC now and it's really starting to get bad!

sooneron
8/27/2011, 11:37 PM
Sounds like the wind is picking up out there. Crapfull of rain. It took me 5 minutes to coax my dog into taking a leak out there. Isn't going to get much better when he's bursting 10 hours from now. THANK JESUS, he drained it!

I'm just biding my time til the power goes out. and this is NOT much hype about a little. dumas.

diverdog
8/28/2011, 03:40 AM
Sounds like the wind is picking up out there. Crapfull of rain. It took me 5 minutes to coax my dog into taking a leak out there. Isn't going to get much better when he's bursting 10 hours from now. THANK JESUS, he drained it!

I'm just biding my time til the power goes out. and this is NOT much hype about a little. dumas.

My power has been out 9 hours so far. Thank god I charged my Ipad and Mifi hot spot.
I don't think the storm damage has been bad in my area. Further south of here they
took a beating. Roofs of houses, flooding and other good stuff.

Sooner_Tuf
8/28/2011, 05:00 AM
Good Luck Dog we will all be pulling for you.

diverdog
8/28/2011, 07:39 AM
Good Luck Dog we will all be pulling for you.

Thanks. We are still without power. The rain has stopped for a while but the winds are 40 mph. I have lots of debris but nothing to bad. We really dodged the bullet on the
tornado. Had it headed east instead of west we would have been hit. It touched town
less than a mile from here and most likely went over our house while forming.

pphilfran
8/28/2011, 07:51 AM
Glad you are safe...

soonercruiser
8/28/2011, 08:53 AM
Glad you guys are safe Diver.
Do you have a generator?

BudSooner
8/28/2011, 09:37 AM
Watching 8 guys in one of the harbors in NY trying to secure a sailboat to no success, WTF? Man that is getting beat.....to ****.
On the weather channel btw, they finally got it....well....no, ****.

DAMN, it's right up against a larger fishing vessell.

QUINT IS GONNA BE PISSED!

sooneron
8/28/2011, 09:57 AM
We seem to have dodged quite a bit. minor roof leak in the room that has always had issues, but we didn't lose power. Light drizzle and slowly clearing up here.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/28/2011, 11:36 AM
http://members.cox.net/firemanat25s/irene.jpg

You guys calm down. Virginia is for lovers!

diverdog
8/28/2011, 11:43 AM
Yeeeehaw. Got our power back. All is good. I can deal with the rest.

diverdog
8/28/2011, 11:45 AM
Glad you guys are safe Diver.
Do you have a generator?

I bought a generator but it was smaller than I needed. I started to unpack it when the power came on. So I think I will take it back to home depot and get a bigger one.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/28/2011, 12:00 PM
CNBC has had pretty good coverage this morning.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/28/2011, 12:06 PM
Orioles and Yankees are planning to play a doubleheader in Baltimore today. Still very windy. Does that favor the pitchers or the hitters?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/28/2011, 12:07 PM
Only one oil refinery closed in refinery heavy northeast. Good news.

StoopTroup
8/28/2011, 12:36 PM
Remeber the thing about generators....the bigger you get...the more fuel they use. Now...if you need to keep a deep freeze going...you have to get have you need but if you are trying to keep the entire house going like you never had a problem...remember you'll need a fuel truck to stop by the house. What sucks is having to go down and get 10 5 gal fuel tanks filled every few hours.

I always say...get what you need to get by...

diverdog
8/28/2011, 01:50 PM
Remeber the thing about generators....the bigger you get...the more fuel they use. Now...if you need to keep a deep freeze going...you have to get have you need but if you are trying to keep the entire house going like you never had a problem...remember you'll need a fuel truck to stop by the house. What sucks is having to go down and get 10 5 gal fuel tanks filled every few hours.

I always say...get what you need to get by...

Stoop:

What would I need to run a freezer, refrigerator and a fan? The one I bought is 2000
watts

sheepdogs
8/28/2011, 02:27 PM
Is the fridge/freezer one unit or two separate units? If it were one then w/the compressor on it would generally consume upwards of 700 watts or so.

salth2o
8/28/2011, 02:35 PM
Diver....you do not have to run the fridge/freezer all the time. Alternate a few running each a few hours and your stuff will stay cold enough. We did this during Ike for 15 days. I also bought a window unit AC and tarped off the living room doors. Living the the NE it may not be as hot as it was for us.

BudSooner
8/28/2011, 03:23 PM
When the time comes, I would seriously consider getting a Generac generator that delivers power to the whole house.

diverdog
8/28/2011, 07:20 PM
Sheep:

I have a freezer that is a stand alone unit and a refrigerator that has a smaller freezer bottom drawer.

DD

Preservation Parcels
8/28/2011, 08:17 PM
DD,

Where do you live in Delaware? We're in Hockessin, and we are accustomed to losing power whenever a squirrel sneezes. We didn't lose power, FIOS, or sleep over Irene. The neighbors lost a tree, but it was down the hill back in the woods. No problems. God was merciful.

CowboyMRW
8/28/2011, 08:45 PM
I found it awesome how the tomb of the unknown soldier continued to be guarded even during the hurricane. I was up in DC 5 years ago and watched the changing and it is really something special

soonercruiser
8/28/2011, 09:10 PM
Orioles and Yankees are planning to play a doubleheader in Baltimore today. Still very windy. Does that favor the pitchers or the hitters?

Very Windy!!!????
Favors the announcers...:kiwi-fruit:

diverdog
8/28/2011, 10:23 PM
DD,

Where do you live in Delaware? We're in Hockessin, and we are accustomed to losing power whenever a squirrel sneezes. We didn't lose power, FIOS, or sleep over Irene. The neighbors lost a tree, but it was down the hill back in the woods. No problems. God was merciful.

I live about three miles south of Dover.