PDA

View Full Version : Awright, Dr. Who Nerds...Torchwood, Anyone?

SunnySooner
8/26/2011, 08:59 PM
I'm gettin' free Starz, so for as long as it lasts, I'm diggin' the Torchwood, and I just clued in to the Captain Jack/Dr. Who connection. Any info on more back story muy apreciado. IDK what I think of this whole idea of no one dies...freaky. And the deal about the Hong Kong guy, seeing the construction site and then joining the "45" club...WTH???!?! Well acted series so far, I'm just trying to figure out where they're going here...

GottaHavePride
8/26/2011, 09:06 PM
I don't really know. I only watched the first season of Torchwood. I dig it, I just haven't had time to watch more. My girlfriend could totally fill you in, though.

SunnySooner
8/26/2011, 09:12 PM
Well get her beehind on here, I'm confuuuuused.

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 05:54 AM
I'm gettin' free Starz, so for as long as it lasts, I'm diggin' the Torchwood, and I just clued in to the Captain Jack/Dr. Who connection. Any info on more back story muy apreciado. IDK what I think of this whole idea of no one dies...freaky. And the deal about the Hong Kong guy, seeing the construction site and then joining the "45" club...WTH???!?! Well acted series so far, I'm just trying to figure out where they're going here...Long ago, a group of beings(i'm having trouble remembering the names)tried to use werewolves as a front to kill the Queen, the Doctor showed up, solved the mystery and was given thanks by her majesty.

With one caveat, she knows he is not of this world and is never to set foot on it again.
Once he leaves she creates an order of humans who will capture/interrogate/kill any alien/extra terrestrial....IE The Doctor/ life form who may do the Earth harm....this all took place in the house of Torchwood. It major goal was to capture him, but thru time has reverse engineered alien tech so that humans can makes use of them today. Like the Evo phone? Thank the Daleks for that one. :D

Actually when it first aired it was pretty good but now that they have moved it stateside it sucks balls.
Much in the same way that the US version of Top Gear sucks.....balllllllllllzzzzzzzzz.

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 05:57 AM
Oh, and if you want to watch good Dr Who then look for the episodes featuring Tom Baker/Peter Davison/David Tennant, the new Doc is pretty good too.

Actually I think the reason I watch it now is for the character Amy. I know Sic 'Em approves. :D

Chuck Bao
8/27/2011, 06:22 AM
I have only seen the first year too. I feel in love with the Jack Harkness character and the man-on-man science friction. I mean if you are a time lord and all why not get the men to drop their underwear too.

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 06:36 AM
http://sketchler.com/images/riker.jpg

SunnySooner
8/27/2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks Bud, I never watched Dr. Who, so now it makes a little more sense. This series is starting from Miracle Day, a day when people stopped dying, no matter how sick or gravely injured, and is going from there to all the problems that ensue when people don't die when they should, which raises a lot of interesting moral and ethical questions. However, Immortal Man Jack, why is he immortal, BTW? Is he an alien? Anyway, now he's MORTAL, he doesn't automatically heal, etc. It all flipped, and no one knows why or who is behind it. The only clue was some internet chatter a few years ago that suddenly disappeared about "The Blessing".

That's about it so far, I like the cast of characters, lots of action, some romance thrown in, and of course the mystery. IDK how much longer my free Starz lasts, I may have to track it down on the innerwebz at some point, 'cause now I want to know the answers!!!!

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks Bud, I never watched Dr. Who, so now it makes a little more sense. This series is starting from Miracle Day, a day when people stopped dying, no matter how sick or gravely injured, and is going from there to all the problems that ensue when people don't die when they should, which raises a lot of interesting moral and ethical questions. However, Immortal Man Jack, why is he immortal, BTW? Is he an alien? Anyway, now he's MORTAL, he doesn't automatically heal, etc. It all flipped, and no one knows why or who is behind it. The only clue was some internet chatter a few years ago that suddenly disappeared about "The Blessing".

That's about it so far, I like the cast of characters, lots of action, some romance thrown in, and of course the mystery. IDK how much longer my free Starz lasts, I may have to track it down on the innerwebz at some point, 'cause now I want to know the answers!!!!I started watching it on Netflix, and yet I don't understand how Jack became immortal. I don't know if you can call him a time lord, as the Doctor is the only known time lord....it's all a bit confusing.

I think it was due to helping save an alien who gifted him the ability to not die, he is I believe 600yrs old.

SunnySooner
8/27/2011, 11:01 AM
Hmmm, so since he's now lost that gift, does that mean that it was an alien power that caused Miracle Day? What I can't figure out is motive, who stands to gain from causing the planet to grossly overpopulate, bacteria and disease to mutate, spread, and become med-resistant, huge numbers of people in "limbo", i.e. grossly injured or deathly ill, but unable to significantly heal, etc. How would that benefit anyone, including an alien race? They better have some good answers, I'm gonna be pissed if it's lame!!

sappstuf
8/27/2011, 11:03 AM
Jack isn't immortal.. He can't be killed, but he is still aging very slowly. In the Dr. Who universe it is very slyly hinted at that he turns into the Face of Boe and is thought to be the oldest living being in the universe. The Face of Boe refers to the Doctor as an old friend, but the Dr. doesn't recognize him, which is odd for the Doctor.

The Face of Boe eventually dies of old age and exhaustion. This is what a billion years will do to you...

From this:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj1bq9MYqz1qc4zhto1_400.jpg

To this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Face_of_Boe.jpg

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 11:31 AM
Jack isn't immortal.. He can't be killed, but he is still aging very slowly. In the Dr. Who universe it is very slyly hinted at that he turns into the Face of Bobby Bowden and is thought to be the oldest living being in the universe. The Face of Bobby Bowden refers to the Doctor as an old friend, but the Dr. doesn't recognize him, which is odd for the Doctor.

The Face of Bobby Bowden eventually gets fired from FSU then dies of old age and exhaustion. This is what a billion years will do to you...

From this:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj1bq9MYqz1qc4zhto1_400.jpg

To this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/Face_of_Boe.jpg

:D

Jacie
8/27/2011, 01:54 PM
Captain Jack Harkness first appears in the Doctor Who episode, "The Empty Child" (really creeps my wife out, the people whose faces are turned into WWII-era gas masks).

At first, he saves Rose (one of the all-time best companions) and makes the Doctor jealous who finds them dancing but then shows his other side when the Doctor is trying to gain access to an alien space craft that crash landed in London during the Blitz and is cordoned off by the military. He tells Rose to distract the officer at the gate but Jack tells him he would have better luck with him doing the distracting since he already knows the officer is of a different persuasion.

Gotta hand it to Doctor Who, giving us Jack Harkness, the first bi-sexual alien.

Hardcore Whovians will remember that long ago, the series had the first transgender alien in The Hand of Fear (Eldrad must live!).

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2011, 02:05 PM
Jack can't be killed because in one Dr. Who ep, Rose saves Jack be giving him Tardis energy. Because of this, he can't die. As a child he was called The Face of Boe on his home world, so he takes this name in the future. Don't know why ole doc didn't recognize him.