PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Phil Collins?

MR2-Sooner86
8/26/2011, 08:14 PM
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

mgsooner
8/26/2011, 08:22 PM
I'm more of a Huey Lewis and the News fan. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Lott's Bandana
8/26/2011, 08:44 PM
Peter Gabriel > Phil Collins

silverwheels
8/26/2011, 08:47 PM
Don't just stare at it, eat it.

Curly Bill
8/26/2011, 11:31 PM
Phil Collins and Genesis suck beyond belief. I never got him/them, and still don't.

So...if I don't like em that means they suck. :cheerful:

sooner59
8/27/2011, 12:14 AM
I don't know about you, but I can feel it in the air tonight.

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 06:02 AM
The greatness of Genesis is lost on me for some reason, much in the same way that guys think Kirsten Stewart is hot.
Or Danica Patrick, or......you see where i'm going with this.

I guess you have to be a Harry Potter fag to like Genesis.

:D

BudSooner
8/27/2011, 06:02 AM
That smiley is so ****ing gay.

delhalew
8/27/2011, 09:57 AM
abbacab

Wishboned
8/27/2011, 11:19 AM
It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

yermom
8/27/2011, 11:36 AM
I'm more of a Huey Lewis and the News fan. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

this was what i first thought of. and now i'm a little worried about Mr. MR2 :O

oumartin
8/27/2011, 11:49 AM
Isn't he the guy that sings about going down on a monkey?

Never cared for him or Genesis.

Huey Lewis.....yes