PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

CrimsonRez
8/26/2011, 06:56 PM
I was reading on soonersports that the NCAA recognizes OU as having 16 national championships. What is the reasoning for not having those other 9 not posted anywhere on the stadium? (note:because we are not Texas or OSU and we do not claim BS titles is not an answer.)

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/26/2011, 07:14 PM
Because we are not texas or OSU and we do not claim BS titles.....oh wait. sorry what was the question? ;)

Lott's Bandana
8/26/2011, 07:16 PM
OU officially only recognizes AP and later, BCS titles.

There is a comment that states this on SoonerSports somewhere.

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 07:16 PM
We've never claimed anything but AP titles. There are a lot of really bogus and questionable titles in that NCAA list. You got to draw the line somewhere. OU is pretty conservative with where that line is. Others (Alabama) aren't so much.

CrimsonRez
8/26/2011, 07:18 PM
Dang....so we just got so much **** that we give some of it back? awesome

Mike Stoops
8/26/2011, 07:19 PM
Something to do with the AP poll not being established I think. If it was before the AP era it doesn't count or something.

CrimsonRez
8/26/2011, 07:25 PM
well I just thought since the NCAA is apparently King Candy then it would count...

MeMyself&Me
8/26/2011, 09:50 PM
Something to do with the AP poll not being established I think. If it was before the AP era it doesn't count or something.

That's only part of it. There are a lot of 'competing' polls that names a champion during the same years the AP does that, on many years, name a different champion than the AP.

soonertravis
8/26/2011, 11:07 PM
A lot of these titles are from very minor publications and I believe they also include the computer polls retrospective final polls as well. We choose not to claim these titles. We can leave that to Alabama and Notre Dame.

En_Fuego
8/26/2011, 11:32 PM
Because if we claimed 16 then Bamer would claim 289

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2011, 11:46 PM
well I just thought since the NCAA is apparently King Candy then it would count...

Well, considering the NCAA does not truly recognize national champion in D-1A football, then why would any of them truly count?

Yes, the NCAA shows teams have been regarded as a national champion, but never an NCAA champion.

OU_Sooners75
8/26/2011, 11:48 PM
A lot of these titles are from very minor publications and I believe they also include the computer polls retrospective final polls as well. We choose not to claim these titles. We can leave that to Alabama and Notre Dame.

Actually many of those are very well known publications and organizations like the National Football Coaches Association. The computer polls that are mentioned are before the formation of the BCS.

sooner59
8/27/2011, 12:23 AM
Some person or group or something have OU as the MNC for 2003...after losing losing back-to-back games against K-State and LSU. Does anybody want to claim that title after LSU beat us in the BCS NC game...not to mention SUC claims it with the AP. smh