PDA

View Full Version : We just got a little deeper at DT

Big D Sooner
8/26/2011, 03:32 PM
Jordan Phillips cleared to play as per Geurin Emig.

LVSOONER15
8/26/2011, 03:34 PM
That sounds good to me.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/26/2011, 03:52 PM
That sounds great to me. :joyous:

KantoSooner
8/26/2011, 03:53 PM
Anyone have an opinion as to whether he might crack the lineup this year? Or is he simply a future player who gives us insurance in case of disaster this year?

MojoRisen
8/26/2011, 04:14 PM
It is tough to say since he couldn't practice. This guy has serious talent and is already big... If he had come for Spring I think he would have played - seems like a RS now.

KantoSooner
8/26/2011, 04:33 PM
That might be best. In any event, I like to keep a stable of large, talented and angry DTs around. never can tell when the opposing team might need some disciplining.

Widescreen
8/26/2011, 05:14 PM
Either way, it's encouraging that SOME action has been taken on our players who are currently in limbo.

OUInformant
8/27/2011, 12:33 AM
I would think that he would redshirt since he didn't practice.

cleller
8/27/2011, 07:54 AM
After a little internet crawling it is easy to see why this kid was recruitied:

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2010/12/28/1900678/2011-recruit-spotlight-defensive-tackle-jordan-phillips

Not to be confused with this Jordan Phillips:

https://www.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/fall/football/roster/bios/phillips

Fish&Game
8/27/2011, 02:24 PM
I hope he utilizes the tutors afforded him while at OU.

70sooner
8/27/2011, 05:31 PM
I would think that he would redshirt since he didn't practice.

that is what the article in the TW alluded to, this morning, although the door is apparently ajar for him to play this year.

OU says freshman Phillips now*eligible

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
Published: 8/26/2011**4:25 PM
Last Modified: 8/26/2011**4:25 PM

NORMAN – One of the Oklahoma player mysteries was solved Friday when OU confirmed that freshman defensive tackle Jordan Phillips was eligible to play.
Phillips broke the news Friday afternoon by tweeting he was starting at OU Monday. The university confirmed Phillips' eligibility about a half-hour later, also via Twitter.

Phillips was a high school All-American at Towanda (Kan.) Circle last year, and rated as high as the nation's No. 4 defensive tackle. He recorded 68 stops and 8.5 sacks as a senior, becoming the top-ranked high school player in Kansas according to Scout.com.

The Sooners could use some depth at defensive tackle. Stacy McGee, Casey Walker and Jamarkus McFarland all have starting experience, but then it falls to promising redshirt freshman Torrea Peterson. Former offensive tackle Josh Aladenoye recently switched to defense to help out.

Phillips is a likely redshirt, especially after missing preseason camp while waiting on what was reportedly an NCAA Clearinghouse ruling. Still, OU's lack of depth at tackle and Phillips' 6-6, 329-pound size combine to enhance his chances some.

Two other OU freshmen, defensive tackle Jordan Wade and wide receiver Trey Metoyer, remain in limbo.

The Sooners also can't say whether starting defensive end Ronnell Lewis will be on the field for their Sept. 3 opener against Tulsa. Coach Bob Stoops has referred to Lewis' issues as both "personal" and "family" related.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110826_440_0_NORMAN409242