PDA

View Full Version : SEC football....

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 07:18 PM
Bored at work, stumbling some youtube videos. This got my blood boiling again two years after the fact. Enjoy.....

0fJxN3DWQCI

And for all you who think it'd be a good idea to join that football illiterate conference. Anyone who can't see that was pass interference is a retard....Not just a "big SEC hit".

For all you dumb****s who watch non SEC football:

It's not an illegal play at all....the ball was in the OKL receivers hands. That allows any Florida player to jack his *** up.

Welcome to the SEC motha****a.

laxmiddie2k10 20 hours ago

Oklahoma is used to playing in a ***** conference where that probably would be PI.

paintsvillehs 1 week ago

Edit: Pause at :29, that shows everything you need to see.

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 07:28 PM
Also leading with his helmet...he was facing the complete opposite direction when he makes contact. It was probably more KW inability to score from the 5 than the refs, but there was certainly come home cooking.

CowboyMRW
8/25/2011, 07:30 PM
After listening to AnM and the SEC the past couple weeks, I really am starting to wish more that you all would've won in 2008.

trey
8/25/2011, 08:01 PM
Should have been up 21-7 going to half with all the momentum. It's a shame our o only put up 14 points. Gresham should have had 4 tds.

IlliniJ
8/25/2011, 08:07 PM
The play looked pretty bang bang to me. Didn't you guys lose by DD and get outgained by over 100 yards anyway?

I strongly dislike the SEC overall (probably because they always beat us), but for anyone who is left in the Bevo and the Little 8 Conference to hate on them is absurd. Most of their stadiums are all 100,000K+ and are watched everywhere (even up here), while all of the Bevo and the Little 8 games are played in front of high school stadiums at Podunk universities with no national interest whatsoever. Just sayin'.

Widescreen
8/25/2011, 08:39 PM
The play looked pretty bang bang to me. Didn't you guys lose by DD and get outgained by over 100 yards anyway?

I strongly dislike the SEC overall (probably because they always beat us), but for anyone who is left in the Bevo and the Little 8 Conference to hate on them is absurd. Most of their stadiums are all 100,000K+ and are watched everywhere (even up here), while all of the Bevo and the Little 8 games are played in front of high school stadiums at Podunk universities with no national interest whatsoever. Just sayin'.

Your schtick got old about 11 posts ago. You started with backhanded compliments to OU and now you don't even bother to hide your bad attitude. Feel free to take a hike.

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 08:41 PM

All 100,000+?.... What a tard. They have two, Bama and Tenn who is a joke. Apparently espn brainwashed you into thinking nobody else can play football except the SEC.

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 08:42 PM

Your schtick got old about 11 posts ago. You started with backhanded compliments to OU and now you don't even bother to hide your bad attitude. Feel free to take a hike.

Agreed

PLaw
8/25/2011, 08:46 PM
The play looked pretty bang bang to me. .

Bang, bang?? There wasn't anything bang, bang about it. It doesn't look like Manny ever touched the ball because he was getting speared by the cheap shot DB.

Like it was said above, OU should have won the game by three TD's except for a case of red zone ineptness that had not been witnessed before that game.

BOOMER

Keller Sooner
8/25/2011, 08:49 PM
It was a blatant dirty hit. MJ should have kicked him in the junk!! And then donkey punched Meyer.

starclassic tama
8/25/2011, 09:13 PM
this was very close to a really good play by the florida DB... i don't necessarily think he was early, but it was completely obvious he lowered his head and lead with the top of his helmet which should have been an automatic personal foul.

edit: he was definitely early... i can see how the ref wouldn't make the call because of how quick it happened, but his head was in manny's chest before the ball was there

LRoss
8/25/2011, 09:17 PM
this was very close to a really good play by the florida DB... i don't necessarily think he was early, but it was completely obvious he lowered his head and lead with the top of his helmet which should have been an automatic personal foul.

This.

And of course the guy on the sidelines who came running over to jump in MJ's face is a massive ****** move.

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2011, 09:19 PM

You contradicted yourself - it wasn't close to a really good play when leading with the helmet because the timing doesn't matter in that case. Even if the receiver touches the ball first and it's not PI, it's still a personal foul. But I don't think it was home cooking, I believe it was a big east ref crew. Just a missed call.

Soonerson1975
8/25/2011, 09:23 PM
I'm shocked that after all this time this is the play some of you remember from this game. What about all the times we had the ball inside the 10 and didn't score? You think that may of had something to do with why they won the game?

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2011, 09:28 PM
I'm shocked that after all this time this is the play some of you remember from this game. What about all the times we had the ball inside the 10 and didn't score? You think that may of had something to do with why they won the game?

I'm guessing you didn't read all the posts.

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 09:34 PM
Kevin Wilson's play calling on both series inside the ten was why we lost that game.

delhalew
8/25/2011, 11:35 PM

Everyone knows why we lost that game, but momentum is huge. That is the reason the tool tried to get away with it. It was a gamble, and it was worth it.

The video showed he was early and led with his helmet in Jan. of '09, and shows the same gawd damn thing today. Ahmad Black was a scumbag then, and I'm sure he is today.

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2011, 11:39 PM

I'm shocked someone is complaining that others *didn't* hijack the thread. It was almost refreshing to stay on topic for 5 posts.

The Ghost of Mex
8/25/2011, 11:56 PM
That play set the tone for the rest of the game. I hate that it did, but it did. If MJ makes the catch and goes to the house, a whole other tone would have ben set.

The play was purposeful and I'm sure they told those duds to smack our guys in the face a few times, refs be damned. We should have had the same tenacity in that game.

Side note: I can't think about that game without hearing the tool behind me yelling, "Don't forget about Percy!!!". Dude would not shut up...all...game...long.

starclassic tama
8/26/2011, 12:29 AM
You contradicted yourself - it wasn't close to a really good play when leading with the helmet because the timing doesn't matter in that case. Even if the receiver touches the ball first and it's not PI, it's still a personal foul. But I don't think it was home cooking, I believe it was a big east ref crew. Just a missed call.

take the timing out of it, assume he didn't arrive early. it was close to a good play because the safety had great position, great closing speed, but at the last second he makes a conscious decision to lower his head like that which is a personal foul. had he lead with his shoulder into manny's chest and wrapped up, it would have been a great play.

BoulderSooner79
8/26/2011, 07:43 AM
take the timing out of it, assume he didn't arrive early. it was close to a good play because the safety had great position, great closing speed, but at the last second he makes a conscious decision to lower his head like that which is a personal foul. had he lead with his shoulder into manny's chest and wrapped up, it would have been a great play.

Agreed that if he was close to not leading with his helmet, then it was close to being a good play. But I tend to agree with another poster that it was intended as a statement and he played the man and not the ball from the get go. Had the ref done his job, it would have neutralized any statement. From my fading memory, the refs did a good job overall in that game. One play in the 1st quarter in a scoreless match should not set the tone unless the team allows it to. I do have another problem with that play: the refs don't call unsportsmanlike conduct evenly between offense and defense. Refs follow an offensive player into the endzone with their hands on their flags in case the player appears happy or something. But the clear taunting by a defensive player as happened on this play is not called. I have seen it called on rare occasion, so it is in the books. I don't fault the refs on this play because that's just the way it's done, but the rules committee should clarify it and make it more even offense vs defense (IMO, of course).

Widescreen
8/26/2011, 08:05 AM
Agreed that if he was close to not leading with his helmet, then it was close to being a good play. But I tend to agree with another poster that it was intended as a statement and he played the man and not the ball from the get go. Had the ref done his job, it would have neutralized any statement. From my fading memory, the refs did a good job overall in that game. One play in the 1st quarter in a scoreless match should not set the tone unless the team allows it to. I do have another problem with that play: the refs don't call unsportsmanlike conduct evenly between offense and defense. Refs follow an offensive player into the endzone with their hands on their flags in case the player appears happy or something. But the clear taunting by a defensive player as happened on this play is not called. I have seen it called on rare occasion, so it is in the books. I don't fault the refs on this play because that's just the way it's done, but the rules committee should clarify it and make it more even offense vs defense (IMO, of course).
The UF dude on the sideline was doing some major taunting as well.

jumperstop
8/26/2011, 09:16 AM

The UF dude on the sideline was doing some major taunting as well.

I agree with both. Defensive players can get away with a lot more in the taunting department. Not saying he should have been flagged, but I've seen offensive players get flagged for celebrations like that. It's just that refs are human and consistency and accuracy are hard.

That said I don't see how they miss plays like these. This was a lot worse than the helmet to helmet calls on Q Carter last season, I think they were in the Mizzou game. Didn't help that the Missouri game was right around when they were talking about all that launching with the helmet first stuff in the NFL, if that had been before the BCSCG they might have called a PF on the dude.

jumperstop
8/26/2011, 09:19 AM
In fact I think that same day as the Mizzou game, in the Nebbish-Poke State game a nebbish player had a hit on a return that he got a week suspension for.

BoulderSooner79
8/26/2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with both. Defensive players can get away with a lot more in the taunting department. Not saying he should have been flagged, but I've seen offensive players get flagged for celebrations like that. It's just that refs are human and consistency and accuracy are hard.

That said I don't see how they miss plays like these. This was a lot worse than the helmet to helmet calls on Q Carter last season, I think they were in the Mizzou game. Didn't help that the Missouri game was right around when they were talking about all that launching with the helmet first stuff in the NFL, if that had been before the BCSCG they might have called a PF on the dude.

I don't think its a matter of the refs being human - it's how the refs are being instructed to call the plays. They get the offensive celebration thing pounded into their heads; the new "take the score off the board" rule is more evidence of this. I don't think they are told to ignore defensive taunting - they are just not repeatedly told to watch it. But I think this is a trees vs. forest issue because the scoring thing is really supposed to be aimed at taunting and somehow the rules committee has lost sight of that.

As far as Q's hits last season - I agree some were not as flagrant, but the refs called it differently last year than in the '08 season. They had started protecting defenseless players by '08, but it has grown in emphasis each season since.

wishbonesooner
8/26/2011, 09:38 AM
I've been reading the Bama board for several days about aTm possibly joining the SEC. Lots of talk about who else to bring in to make 14 teams. Most of the discussion is about how OU wouldn't be a big draw because of the state's population and the fact we recruit heavily out of Texas. I think the real fact is they don't want the Sooners to start dominating their little club.

jumperstop
8/26/2011, 09:40 AM
I don't think its a matter of the refs being human - it's how the refs are being instructed to call the plays. They get the offensive celebration thing pounded into their heads; the new "take the score off the board" rule is more evidence of this. I don't think they are told to ignore defensive taunting - they are just not repeatedly told to watch it. But I think this is a trees vs. forest issue because the scoring thing is really supposed to be aimed at taunting and somehow the rules committee has lost sight of that.

As far as Q's hits last season - I agree some were not as flagrant, but the refs called it differently last year than in the '08 season. They had started protecting defenseless players by '08, but it has grown in emphasis each season since.

The thing is in Q's case they weren't defenseless. They had just caught the ball, he just lowered his head during the tackle. I still think they were probably the right calls, but not near as dangerous looking as something like the UF player did. Manny was defenseless because he was still in the motion to catch the ball and had yet to actually do so.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/26/2011, 10:00 AM

Illini? Sweet! I live here in Champaign! The Illini look to have a big year. Now that tOSU is out of the picture, the Illini can make a run for 6th in the conference. I hear that the admin was going to use orange chair covers to help with the "Orange out" this year. That will be awesome. The seats look a lot more full since they removed 6,000. Go Illini!

BoulderSooner79
8/26/2011, 10:32 AM
The thing is in Q's case they weren't defenseless. They had just caught the ball, he just lowered his head during the tackle. I still think they were probably the right calls, but not near as dangerous looking as something like the UF player did. Manny was defenseless because he was still in the motion to catch the ball and had yet to actually do so.

Agreed, but they are also making the call to protect the defensive guy now as much as the receiver. And in Q's case, it was certainly warranted because if he doesn't stop lowering his head like that, he is going to suffer some sort of neck vertebrae injury. His technique was the worst I'm seen in that way (I say "was" because I hope it's been corrected).

fwsooner22
8/26/2011, 11:58 AM

Illini ? My dad is from there and no longer even talks about it because he is too embarrassed. Nuff said. I predict this poster is in his teens. I also predict he won't be with us much longer.

PalmBeachSooner
8/26/2011, 02:08 PM
I'm not defending the hit but it wasn't illegal to lead with the helmet back then. It was a rule in HS and the NFL before it was illegal in college. Same thing is true with the horse collar tackle.

You could make an argument that he hit him before the ball got there. There was no attempt at all to make a play on the ball.

jumperstop
8/26/2011, 02:30 PM
I'm not defending the hit but it wasn't illegal to lead with the helmet back then. It was a rule in HS and the NFL before it was illegal in college. Same thing is true with the horse collar tackle.

You could make an argument that he hit him before the ball got there. There was no attempt at all to make a play on the ball.

I personally believe it was PI and he never played the ball. The part I found ridiculous was that the SEC fans commented as if they were proud of this type of play. That was not good defensive football IMO.

Widescreen
8/26/2011, 02:41 PM
When you make the hit and then the ball hits you in the back, you were too early. I find it funny that people would think that wasn't PI.

budbarrybob
8/26/2011, 03:21 PM
is full of azzhats.

LVSOONER15
8/26/2011, 03:28 PM
That game makes me sick to my stomach.

NorCaligator
8/26/2011, 04:13 PM
Everyone knows why we lost that game, but momentum is huge. That is the reason the tool tried to get away with it. It was a gamble, and it was worth it.

The video showed he was early and led with his helmet in Jan. of '09, and shows the same gawd damn thing today. Ahmad Black was a scumbag then, and I'm sure he is today.

Not sure why you are calling out Ahmad Black. It was Major Wright who made that hit. Black intercepted Bradford in the 4th on a pretty amazing play.

Tear Down This Wall
8/26/2011, 04:35 PM
What does that hit have to do with SEC football? It was an ACC officiating crew working the game. A team doesn't penalize itself.

So because an ACC official didn't throw a flag, the SEC has a problem?

Tear Down This Wall
8/26/2011, 04:40 PM
We lost that game for two reasons:

(1) their defensive line was better than our offensive line, and
(2) our defense got tired in the fourth quarter chasing Percy Harvin around.

TahoeSOONER
8/26/2011, 04:49 PM
As a former safety, I love the fact that he came over and set the tone early. Was it dirty? It was early and he did lower his head and led with the helmet but I challenge anyone to run full speed for 25 yards and time a hit like that. It was football. Watching it in slow mo it was a personal foul leading with the helmet.

The ball swat while we were driving in the fourth before the INT is what irked me, ****ed our timing up and they were gased.

Anyway, spilt milk, tip your hat and move on.

BoulderSooner79
8/26/2011, 05:23 PM

I pretty sure the defenseless receiver rule was in effect at that time because we discussed that play (a lot!) after the game and the 2 different possible violations. I know that the horse collar rule was in place then.

BlownGP
8/26/2011, 06:03 PM

Thats what I dont undersatd. Ofcourse I live in SEC land so they thought it was a great play......
I watched that video 100s times, pisses me off too
Weather he lead with his helment or not, many didnt have the damn ball in his hands. If ever DB did that, no one would ever catch crap becasue they would be getting hit...

water under the bridge now, but liked said. That changed the mindset of the both teams.

jumperstop
8/27/2011, 09:24 AM
What does that hit have to do with SEC football? It was an ACC officiating crew working the game. A team doesn't penalize itself.

So because an ACC official didn't throw a flag, the SEC has a problem?

It was the comments of their retarded fans is what it has to do with SEC football. If this is the type of plays they are proud of in the SEC then I want no part. If it was the other way around, I wouldn't have left comments saying, "Welcome to the Big 12 mother ****ers"...I would have said, "Wow, bad defense. Lucky we got away with that and nobody was hurt." So it was mostly an observation of how their fans perceive the game.

soonervegas
8/27/2011, 09:34 AM
When I looked up at the scoreboard at halftime and it was 7-7.....and I felt we dominated the 1st half.....I knew we were screwed.

Josh has got to find a way for our offense to be more effective in national titles games. Outside of that nightmare game, Venables D has gone 0, 14, 14 in national title games. You should have more than one trophy in that situation.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2011, 06:15 PM
When I looked up at the scoreboard at halftime and it was 7-7.....and I felt we dominated the 1st half.....I knew we were screwed.

Josh has got to find a way for our offense to be more effective in national titles games. Outside of that nightmare game, Venables D has gone 0, 14, 14 in national title games. You should have more than one trophy in that situation.

Being at the game I was inundated with all kinds of things that got my attention...so my perspective on the game was different than on TV. One thing that stuck in my memory was how quickly the PA announcer repeated "FIRST DOWN OKLAHOMAAAAA" and how short the times between that announcement was.

I only bring that up to say that I thought our offensive performance vs FL was fine. It was mistakes inside the red and some untimely holding calls that cost us that game

And of course we couldnt overcome Tim Tebow coming 10 yards on to the field to pump his team up(and grandstand) as they were about to kick off