PDA

View Full Version : Tax question for accountants or those of you who have kids

jkjsooner
8/25/2011, 09:38 AM
Okay, first I must say that I'm an idiot. I'm sure you guys knew that already... :friendly_wink:

My wife is enrolled in a childcare flex spending account. They take out $5000 a year pre-tax from her paycheck and she gets reimbursed when we submit receipts for childcare.

The medical flex plans (we both use one) work in a similar way. I figured they were pretty much the same. For the medical plans that's pretty much that. The money withheld does not show up on your W2 and you don't pay taxes for it. (I believe you might claim it somewhere but it doesn't get added to taxable income.)

I used Turbo Tax and imported our W2's. I didn't realize that line 10 of her W2 has the pre-tax money in it and that that gets added to your income. You then have to add in childcare expenses to get that essentially removed as taxable income. I didn't do this because this isn't necessary with the medical flex plans. (Afterall, both types of plans validate expenses prior to reimbursement.)

It appears that I had $4100 (she didn't work the full year at that employer so we didn't get $5000 taken out) too much added to my taxable income. Have you guys done this and does that make sense?

The only reason I realized this is because we're buying a house and the bank was trying to figure out where the $4100 came from.

One other question, does the IRS care about the exact amount or, since the expense was well over $5000 (more like $14k) can I just throw out a number that exceeds $5k with the EID of the childcare center. Will they have a problem if the childcare center states I had $14k when I stated I had $8k?

Bourbon St Sooner
8/25/2011, 10:09 AM
I have that flexible spend account for childcare expenses as well. The money taken out is not taxable income. It shows up on another line item on your W2 just like 401K deductions do, but it should not be included in taxable income.

jkjsooner
8/25/2011, 10:28 AM
If you look at Form 2441, Part III Dependent Care Benefits, line 12 states to enter what was in the W2 box 10. This is the $4100 in my case.

Then you have to enter qualified expenses on line 16. (This is what I missed.) If you do $0 as qualified expenses then the full $4100 goes to line 26 as "taxable benefits."

Am I wrong? I don't want to amend my return if I'm mistaken.

This is the problem with using Turbo Tax. Had I filled this out manually it would have been obvious that I didn't need to pay taxes on the $4100.

Taxman71
8/25/2011, 12:20 PM
TurboTax can be tricky with the childcare credit. Usually, it results in an overstated credit if you do not code for cafeterias plan contributions properly (these offset the childcare expenses available for the credit).