PDA

View Full Version : New Team Captains

SunnySooner
8/25/2011, 07:10 AM
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — Five players were chosen as team captains by top-ranked Oklahoma.

The results of the players' vote were announced during practice Tuesday, with quarterback Landry Jones and linebacker Travis Lewis getting selected for the second straight season.

All-American wide receiver Ryan Broyles, center Ben Habern and punter Tress Way were chosen as first-time captains.

Habern called it "the biggest honor I think I could get, just that respect from my teammates and my peers."

There's more to the article on SoonerSports, I was just surprised to see Ben Habern's name on this list, but I like it very much. We've all talked (and talked, and talked) about the importance of an O line (see 2009 season for what happens with a crappy one), and the Center is the hearts and smarts of that bunch, so to see him so well-liked and respected by the whole team makes me smile in my happy place.

If this O line can come close to carrying the gym socks of 2008's, and we can get a serious run game established, early and often, along with our allsome QB and bevy of beauties in the receiving corps...whoo, buddy, now we're talkin'...hang half a hunnerd, I reckon...

Ultimately, we'll need the defense to step up, if we're REALLY gonna do this, teams cannot live by XBOX stats alone (again, see 2008), but the O can give the D some time and a chance to develop, or at least hang on til Travis gets back.

As excited as I was going into 2009, with all those guys coming back, I still had big worries, O line chief among them. I don't feel that way now, I think if we stay healthy, we can take it, now pass the Kool Aid, please, lemme know when it's my turn on the Sunshine Pump. :friendly_wink: :D

delhalew
8/25/2011, 07:47 AM
Big Congrats to Ben!

bmjlr
8/25/2011, 08:15 AM
Nice to see Tress getting some love as well.

sooner59
8/25/2011, 09:52 AM
No Jimmy Stevens? WTH man? :wink:

oudavid1
8/25/2011, 11:14 AM
If you had ever seen an interview with Tress you would see why, on hell of a good kid. Habern no surprise. (Side note, you know Ben and LJ are besties and Ben went to High School with Whitney and introduced Whitney to LJ)