PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs resigns

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2011, 05:44 PM
as CEO of Apple

Recommends Tim Cook as new CEO

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2011, 05:48 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Steve-Jobs-Resigns-as-CEO-of-bw-19285464.html?x=0&.v=1

The stock is holding up well in after-hours trading

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2011, 06:00 PM
Tim Cook will almost certainly be the next CEO.

sheepdogs
8/24/2011, 06:25 PM
You must have been looking at a delayed quote for it is currently down about 5%.

Mjcpr
8/24/2011, 06:25 PM
So, he's dying?

ouwasp
8/24/2011, 06:59 PM
posters that know anything about this should add that to the list of nerdy characteristics thread

cleller
8/25/2011, 08:06 AM
He is keeping his position as chairman of the board, so that's some consolation. The whole thing does have an ominous tone as to his health, I think. Every time I hear anything about Apple I think back to when he returned to the company when it was almost dead. Wish I had the foresight then to see what would become of Apple, and its stock price. That guy has made a lot of folks rich.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 12:08 PM
I sold my 100 shares of Apple when it reached $60 per share a few years ago. Sadly, I needed the money.

Sadly, I still do!

Tough to see Steve go. He certainly is an iconic figure in this country and I hope his health didn't spur this decision on.

Sooner_Tuf
8/25/2011, 03:56 PM
I would guess he's not doing well. He has had pancreatic cancer, which I don't think anyone ever recovers from. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Prayers for Mr Jobs.

MR2-Sooner86
8/25/2011, 03:57 PM
He's a dick diver but he sure knew how to run the company.

Veritas
8/25/2011, 04:28 PM
This is a big deal to me. Bigger than if a President were to step down. He was my hero as a (very nerdy) kid.

I grew up using Apples; my dad brought home an Apple IIe in 1984. I wrote my first program on that thing. After Apple ditched Jobs, I vowed to never use Apple products again. For me it was like the Beatles breaking up. I have an old lunchbox that I'd drawn on, as kids did (I think), and I'd made a big no-smoking style cross through the words "APPLE" and I'd drawn the NeXT logo. I saw a guy at a pre-wedding dinner wearing a NeXT t-shirt and starting grilling him; turns out his company had one. He was kind enough to take me to his office and show me what was at the time just the most incredible thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't have been more than 12 or 13.

I stayed well clear of Apple products until the iPod, then two years ago moved our office over to Macs and have never been happier.

Steve Job has been one of the people I've most admired over the years and I will really miss seeing him at the helm at AAPL.

SicEmBaylor
8/25/2011, 04:35 PM
Steve Jobs defies the commonly held belief that CEOs are useless, overpaid, etc. etc. There are so many who believe that CEOs do nothing but play golf all day and light their cigars with $100 bills. Nothing could be further from the truth. To be sure there are a lot of useless CEOs in the country who are, in fact, overpaid and useless. But a CEO makes or breaks a company. Steve Jobs never took a salary, but whatever he may have been paid would be well worth it.

It's amazing to me that Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy when Jobs came back. He turned a failing company into an organization that truly redefined society with their products and in the process accumulated more money than some first-world nations not to mention rival companies.

Steve Jobs has his personal faults, but his value to Apple and his contributions to our society are irrefutable. I hope to see Steve Jobs beat this and fully recover though admittedly the prognosis is not good. My best to him.

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 05:17 PM
Thank hipsters for choosing to be all gay about the ipod/iphone instead of the zoom....Thank hipsters in general for Apple doing so well, without their incessant need to purchase the new apple product every year they wouldn't have been near as successful.

MR2-Sooner86
8/25/2011, 05:31 PM
When they were creating the first iMac, the first designer had screw heads showing and Jobs fired him on the spot. He then brought in Jonathan Ive who gave us the design we know today.

BigTip
8/25/2011, 06:13 PM
More like Steve JobLESS now.