PDA

View Full Version : What Nerdy Personal Interests Or Characteristics Do You Have?

lexsooner
8/24/2011, 03:52 PM
Lex likes to collect coins. He also still sleeps in pajamas. He also hates to stay out late. Lex was never great at holding his liquor. Come on, you manly men, fess up! What dweeby things do you do which would have gotten your butt kicked in school if the other kids knew about them?

OUHOMER
8/24/2011, 04:12 PM
umm, ....................................... I got nothin

3rdgensooner
8/24/2011, 04:14 PM
I'm not a manly man so I can't contribute. Also, I can't think of anything dweeby anyway.

KantoSooner
8/24/2011, 04:14 PM
I'll sit up all night playing Civ3 on the computer.

captain_surly
8/24/2011, 04:23 PM
Bird Watching. It's not like I travel around to competitions or dress up like Jane Hathaway in the Beverly Hillbillys but I can identify about 200 different species.

I kept backyard feeders up for years and years but finally got tired of the nuisance critters they attract.

lexsooner
8/24/2011, 04:31 PM
Bird Watching. It's not like I travel around to competitions or dress up like Jane Hathaway in the Beverly Hillbillys but I can identify about 200 different species.

That's actually way cool. I have a small collection of interesting coins - I mostly look for ones with some historical figure on it. Jane Hathaway, lol! She could do bird calls too. The poor spinster never could attract Jethro. Of course don't forget Don Knotts in that movie in which he was a bird watcher and bird watching magazine publisher who gets duped into turning his publication into a girlie magazine.

3rdgensooner
8/24/2011, 04:43 PM
Chief! /janehathaway

OhU1
8/24/2011, 04:48 PM
I watch "The Biggest Loser" (but hate all the damn crying).

I like women's tennis.

I dislike having to take a **** in public restrooms.

I don't like tabasco sauce on my eggs.

I used to drink Miller High Life.

I once owned a Voltswagan Rabbit. That's about it.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2011, 05:01 PM
I'm not telling because I'll get my *** kicked at the tailgate.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2011, 05:07 PM
I'd like to bang Kaley Cuoco.

OUMallen
8/24/2011, 05:34 PM

Why?

http://omgwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/kaley-cuoco.jpg

BillyBall
8/24/2011, 05:36 PM
I own a Coldplay album, I guess that's more gay than nerdy though.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2011, 05:57 PM
Why?

http://omgwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/kaley-cuoco.jpg

It's in my jenes, I guess.

1890MilesToNorman
8/24/2011, 06:00 PM
I ram it in the cmos and require a gigabite in advance. Those cup holders work in many different ways too.

Memtig14
8/24/2011, 06:22 PM
Attend my Mensa meetings.

:angel:

Mjcpr
8/24/2011, 06:37 PM
Well, we already know Dean's....

Fraggle145
8/24/2011, 06:47 PM

I'd hit it twice.

Fraggle145
8/24/2011, 06:47 PM
I'm a scientist. Nerd defines my life.

Also I like Magic cards. I dont play in real life, but I play on xbox live.

ouwasp
8/24/2011, 06:52 PM
I like to read. A lot. Especially American history books. Right now I'm splitting my reading time between Union Pacific Country (about the transcont'l RR) and Tennozan: The Battle for Okinawa and the Atomic Bomb.

GDC
8/24/2011, 07:44 PM
All of them.

lexsooner
8/24/2011, 07:44 PM
I like to read. A lot. Especially American history books. Right now I'm splitting my reading time between Union Pacific Country (about the transcont'l RR) and Tennozan: The Battle for Okinawa and the Atomic Bomb.

I don't consider that nerdy unless you do it ten hours a day and don't go out at all. Now subject matter of the reading material can make you nerdy. Sci Fi and Fantasy is pretty nerdy. History, not really. I can say for certainty that I cannot stand sci fi or fantasy books. Real life and real science is so much more interesting.

lexsooner
8/24/2011, 07:51 PM
Well, we already know Dean's....

Well, if he also does HP fantasy blogs, then that is Nerdy with a capital N.

olevetonahill
8/24/2011, 07:56 PM

If readin = Nerdom then Im a Nerd. Other than that Nada

Frozen Sooner
8/24/2011, 07:57 PM
I moderate an internet message board.

Other than that:

I read a lot of case books and treatises on the law.
I read a lot of science fiction/fantasy.
I play around with home theater stuff (though not as much now that I'm on a student salary).
I watch really stupid movies.

CowboyMRW
8/24/2011, 08:20 PM
I have a nice collection of coins and also a huge baseball/football card collection.
I like to game on Xbox when I have time. (Mainly COD though)
I enjoy reading.

That's about it for me

Wishboned
8/24/2011, 08:38 PM
I read comic books.
I play video games.
I like to go to comic/science fiction conventions.

Damn...I couldn't be any nerdier if I wore thick black glasses with tape in the middle, and had a pocket protector.

BudSooner
8/24/2011, 09:00 PM
I moderate an internet message board.

Other than that:

I read a lot of case books and treatises on the law.
I play around with home theater stuff (though not as much now that I'm on a student salary).
[BI watch really stupid movies.[/B]
That is easy to do if you have a Netflix account, damn the quality has taken a serious dump.

GottaHavePride
8/24/2011, 09:01 PM
I moderate this place.
I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy.
I'm a professional opera conductor (among other titles).
I like to brew my own beer.

Veritas
8/24/2011, 09:08 PM
I am currently learning celestial navigation. Like with a sextant, stars, math and sh*t. I just bought a Cassens & Plath, which is like the hot sh*t of sextants.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2011, 09:22 PM
I read comic books.
I play video games.
I like to go to comic/science fiction conventions.Damn...I couldn't be any nerdier if I wore thick black glasses with tape in the middle, and had a pocket protector.

ever been to comic-con in San Diego? You don't have to be a nerd to enjoy that.

Wishboned
8/24/2011, 10:21 PM
ever been to comic-con in San Diego? You don't have to be a nerd to enjoy that.

I'm planning on going next year.

ouwasp
8/24/2011, 11:49 PM
I don't consider that nerdy unless you do it ten hours a day and don't go out at all. Now subject matter of the reading material can make you nerdy. Sci Fi and Fantasy is pretty nerdy. History, not really. I can say for certainty that I cannot stand sci fi or fantasy books. Real life and real science is so much more interesting.

Well, I teach American History all day. My 8th graders like the class, which makes life more enjoyable. But I think I do qualify according to some of the mentioned standards. If I'm not reading real history (maybe 2 hrs/day), I like to read Alternative History from authors like SM Stirling or Harry Turtledove. Their books are in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, so I'm in!

OU Engineer
8/25/2011, 08:34 AM
I'm training to be a Yoga Instructor.

I've read every single Halo novel and am in the process of reading all the A Song of Ice and Fire books.

I read xkcd like its my job.

I actually enjoy doing math problems.

I line up all my toiletries at night so I can do them in the right order the next morning...

Ike
8/25/2011, 09:30 AM
I do physics and math. Not just as a job, but for fun in my free time as well.

I feel somewhat unsatisfied if the answer to a question does not open up 10 new questions as well.

I find economics fascinating.

I'm teaching myself to build effects circuits (pedals) for the guitar and other musical instruments. Also robots (because my kid LOVES robots, and I want him to learn that too).

I follow developments in the search for the Higgs Boson like some people follow the stock market.

I can't leap tall buildings in a single bound, but I'm pretty confident I could build a jetpack that would do the trick. Somewhat less confident that I would be alive to use it a second time.

saucysoonergal
8/25/2011, 09:35 AM
I am the second biggest Harry Potter fan on this site, just behind Dean, but if that makes you nerdy, I don't want to be non-nerdy. ;)

Barry's_Scowl
8/25/2011, 09:41 AM
I watch and read everything I can find about the Civil War. I've reminded my wife about 10 times that I want the box set of Shelby Foote's entire narrative for Christmas.

I know a ****load of trivia about the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Mjcpr
8/25/2011, 09:43 AM
I am the second biggest Harry Potter fan on this site, just behind Dean, but if that makes you nerdy, I don't want to be non-nerdy. ;)

Little chance of that.

jkjsooner
8/25/2011, 09:52 AM
I watch "The Biggest Loser" (but hate all the damn crying).

I watch just to try to see which girls will turn out cute. There's been some pretty cute girls come out of that show.

I like women's tennis.

Hot women with nice bodies. How is that nerdy?

jkjsooner
8/25/2011, 10:04 AM
I do physics and math. Not just as a job, but for fun in my free time as well.

Me too. None of it is ground breaking by any stretch...

I especially love to solve probability problems.

When I was an EE major, there were certain classes that I didn't really master. Heck there were probably a couple that I doubt I was competent enough to warrant passing. (Thank you teachers who make tests so hard that everyone does poorly.) Usually this was either due to being distracted that semester (break-up with a girlfriend or whatever) or just choosing other classes to concentrate on. Anyway, I've gone back over the years and read the textbooks for those classes I didn't master and found out I really enjoyed them and felt like I mastered the material.

OhU1
8/25/2011, 11:01 AM
I DVR every show I can find regarding astronomy, geology, and technology (Modern Marvels, How It's Made).

I can quote off the top of my head the all time Major League Baseball all time home run list - names and number of home runs from the top down to 300 (post 1990 there are some names I haven't kept up with).

KantoSooner
8/25/2011, 11:05 AM
I once had a correspondence with the guy who was conservator for Otzi, the iceman mummy discovered in Austria.

You haven't nerded until you wake up and realize you've been discussing 'gravewax' formation on corpses for over a week.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 11:50 AM
I am currently learning celestial navigation. Like with a sextant, stars, math and sh*t. I just bought a Cassens & Plath, which is like the hot sh*t of sextants.

I used to teach Celestial Navigation to my NROTC classes at Florida State, and to my baby navigators on the submarine. Used the Nautical Almanac and all the Declination Tables...did it all by hand. I can only imagine how different it would be now, using computer software to enter the time and angle...only real issue would be the sextant correction, I'm thinking. Oh, and your DR should probably be close...

delhalew
8/25/2011, 12:14 PM
I'm a scientist. Nerd defines my life.

Also I like Magic cards. I dont play in real life, but I play on xbox live.
Alright. I couldn't think of anything until you posted.

When I had friends that played, I not only played, but owned at Magic. I also bought and played a baddass Star Wars card game from Decipher.

I still have Star Wars action figures that I would occasionally pose until I gave them to my daughter so she could lose the capes and lightsabers. Yes, I realize I could have sold them, and bought a new car.

oumartin
8/25/2011, 02:16 PM
i like to wipe or flick my boogers on unsuspecting people.

jumperstop
8/25/2011, 02:20 PM
I enjoy the part of EA NCAA Football Dynasty where you recruit the players....

The Maestro
8/25/2011, 02:37 PM
I love sports, especially college football and golf...I like to drink bourbon and eat great food. I like hanging out with my friends and watching drunk wives makeout...I enjoy Will Farrell movies where he acts stupid. I like good concerts where the crowd goes nuts. I like to go to nice places and stay at resorts. And I love sex.

Jacie
8/25/2011, 02:51 PM
I watch Dr. Who and if you don't think that is nerdy enough, my daughter's middle name is Nyssa . . .

Tulsa_Fireman
8/25/2011, 02:59 PM
I have a big root and score lots of tail.

MR2-Sooner86
8/25/2011, 04:00 PM
Starcraft

I use to play WoW.

I like to write sci-fi/horror stories and poetry.

I love photography.

I love to read books and research everything about the Ford Mustang. I own several books on it and grab a magazine if it's on the front cover.

Veritas
8/25/2011, 04:20 PM
I used to teach Celestial Navigation to my NROTC classes at Florida State, and to my baby navigators on the submarine. Used the Nautical Almanac and all the Declination Tables...did it all by hand. I can only imagine how different it would be now, using computer software to enter the time and angle...only real issue would be the sextant correction, I'm thinking. Oh, and your DR should probably be close...
Man, I'm doing it all old school right now. Like, Jurassic. Pencil and paper. No electronics. Once I learn how to do it the hard way I'll give myself a break.

delhalew
8/25/2011, 04:24 PM
Man, I'm doing it all old school right now. Like, Jurassic. Pencil and paper. No electronics. Once I learn how to do it the hard way I'll give myself a break.

I have to say, that would be an incredibly cool skill to have.

Veritas
8/25/2011, 04:31 PM
I have to say, that would be an incredibly cool skill to have.It's not expensive. I bought a beginner's kit for about $200 that had everything I needed. The fancy sextant I just bought was quite an investment but it's really heavy and shiny and metally.

yermom
8/25/2011, 04:51 PM
Alright. I couldn't think of anything until you posted.

When I had friends that played, I not only played, but owned at Magic. I also bought and played a baddass Star Wars card game from Decipher.

I still have Star Wars action figures that I would occasionally pose until I gave them to my daughter so she could lose the capes and lightsabers. Yes, I realize I could have sold them, and bought a new car.

depending on when you owned at Magic, you might have missed out on another car...

BigTip
8/25/2011, 05:10 PM
I record information about all my golf rounds in a log.

delhalew
8/25/2011, 05:16 PM
depending on when you owned at Magic, you might have missed out on another car...

I think so. It was about 12-14 years ago. Also, those Star Wars cards were the most beautiful, collectible **** ever. I just gave all that **** to a friend that has never parted with a collectible in his life. If he ever sells that **** I better get at least a case of Scotch.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 05:25 PM

I like your approach to figuring all this out. It may never prove useful, but it does make the accomplishments of the ancient navigators quite amazing. Imagine Latitude Sailing using the North Star.

Are you learning because of flying or just cuz?

You would cream if you saw the sextant I had on my last submarine. Talk about old-school...I made the n00bs keep that thing all shiny and in perfect working order, knowing full well a sextant on a submarine is actually kind of funny.

Are you learning to take sunlines? You might as well learn to compute sunrise/sunset for your location as well as the tides and currents for a place not necessarily in Nebraska!

delhalew
8/25/2011, 05:28 PM
It's not expensive. I bought a beginner's kit for about $200 that had everything I needed. The fancy sextant I just bought was quite an investment but it's really heavy and shiny and metally.
I just googled some pretty spectacular examples. Even though I am allergic to formulas, I feel that owning a device so beautiful would be like being a child on Christmas morning.

C&CDean
8/25/2011, 07:36 PM
pfffft. I ain't got a nerdy bone in my body.

However, I can tell you, without Google, who lives in the Weasley's attic, who is the conductor on the Knight Bus, who is the bartender at the Leaky Cauldron, who is Ron's favorite Quidditch team, what Luna wears in her ears, what the 7 horcruxes are, how to view/unview the Marauder's Map, what kind of animagus Professor McGonnagal, James, Lupin, Black, and Pettigrew turn in to, what Harry's Petronus is, what Snape's Petronus is, what resides in the Chamber of Secrets, who guards the Azkaban prison, what gillyweed does, what a bezoar is and where you can find one, who Ginny is snogging in the hallway, what lives in the Weasley's garden, what department Mr. Weasley works in at the Ministry of Magic, and what color is the fine downy hair on Hermione Granger's vajajay.

But I ain't a nerd.

StoopTroup
8/25/2011, 07:39 PM
What color is the fine downy hair on Hermione Granger's vajajay?

How to make your own Lucius Malfoy Costume for Halloween.

http://diyfashion.about.com/od/costumes/ig/How-To-Harry-Potter-Costumes/Lucius-Malfoy-Costume.htm

C&CDean
8/25/2011, 07:45 PM
You had to google it.

StoopTroup
8/25/2011, 07:55 PM
I did and all I found was that it might be Black like Mylie Cyrus.

C&CDean
8/25/2011, 07:59 PM
It's ****nickle brown. Any proper Gryffindor would know this.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 08:30 PM
If a game of Quidditch can be won by just capturing that golden thingy, then why all the fuss trying to score points?

SunnySooner
8/25/2011, 08:30 PM
I'm not a nerd. I was smart in school, but never nerdy. However, you NEVER want to play Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, etc. against me. I WILL kick your ***. I have more "extraneous bull ****" floating around in my head than any other person I have ever met. Part of it is due to a somewhat photographic memory for things I've read (that skill comes in DAMN handy for a history test, yeah buddy), part of it is just totally random. I cannot tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can tell you that Mia Farrow was the first person on the cover of People magazine. Or, that the Edward that abdicated his throne for divorcee Wallis Simpson was Edward the EIGHTH. It's just ridiculous, I never know what's gonna stick until years later, the subject will come up, and bingo, I'll know the answer. It's weird. And nerdy.

I once played Trivial Pursuit in the hospital after knee surgery on 2 kinds of painkillers including a morphine drip. My opponents were all college grads, 2 of them with post graduate degrees. It wasn't even close. I'm a freak. ;)

C&CDean
8/25/2011, 09:20 PM
I'm not a nerd. I was smart in school, but never nerdy. However, you NEVER want to play Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, etc. against me. I WILL kick your ***. I have more "extraneous bull ****" floating around in my head than any other person I have ever met. Part of it is due to a somewhat photographic memory for things I've read (that skill comes in DAMN handy for a history test, yeah buddy), part of it is just totally random. I cannot tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can tell you that Mia Farrow was the first person on the cover of People magazine. Or, that the Edward that abdicated his throne for divorcee Wallis Simpson was Edward the EIGHTH. It's just ridiculous, I never know what's gonna stick until years later, the subject will come up, and bingo, I'll know the answer. It's weird. And nerdy.

You. Me. Mano y Ella. While I don't really know a lot of useless trivia, I know tons of important ****. Like what I had for breakfast, on May 21st, 1971. Or the exact minute I quit smoking, drugging, doing dip. Or the name of Hagrid's mother. Important ****.

I once played Trivial Pursuit in the hospital after knee surgery on 2 kinds of painkillers including a morphine drip. My opponents were all college grads, 2 of them with post graduate degrees. It wasn't even close. I'm a freak. ;)[/QUOTE]

C&CDean
8/25/2011, 09:21 PM
I think I'm still on that morphine drip...

soonerboomer93
8/25/2011, 09:32 PM

I have a type one deck, it's only got one power card, but yeah, between it and my other type one cards it's atleast a good used car.

soonerboomer93
8/25/2011, 09:33 PM
I hear deans luvs furry hentai

delhalew
8/25/2011, 11:49 PM
I have a type one deck, it's only got one power card, but yeah, between it and my other type one cards it's atleast a good used car.

You got me curious. It turns out that I had enough "vintage" cards to make half a dozen powerful decks...or a brand new luxury sedan/crew cab 4x4 pickup. :D

Who knew? I thought it was just something to do whilst smoking weed and drinking coffee.

MR2-Sooner86
8/26/2011, 05:57 AM
I collected back around '97 - '98 when I was in middle school but nobody wanted to play. They were all into Pokemon and thought Magic wasn't "cool." :mad: I still have all my cards somewhere.

FirstandGoal
8/26/2011, 08:58 AM

However, I can tell you, without Google, who lives in the Weasley's attic, who is the conductor on the Knight Bus, who is the bartender at the Leaky Cauldron, who is Ron's favorite Quidditch team, what Luna wears in her ears, what the 7 horcruxes are, how to view/unview the Marauder's Map, what kind of animagus Professor McGonnagal, James, Lupin, Black, and Pettigrew turn in to, what Harry's Petronus is, what Snape's Petronus is, what resides in the Chamber of Secrets, who guards the Azkaban prison, what gillyweed does, what a bezoar is and where you can find one, who Ginny is snogging in the hallway, what lives in the Weasley's garden, what department Mr. Weasley works in at the Ministry of Magic, and what color is the fine downy hair on Hermione Granger's vajajay.

But I ain't a nerd.

All done without the books, or Google

The family ghoul, Stan Shunpike (Give me the first and last name of the driver), Tom (but not Tom Riddle :D) , Chudley Cannons (who did Oliver Wood play for?), radish earrings (what is her necklace made of?) the diary, locket, ring, tiara, nagini, hufflepuff cup, Harry Potter, and most recently from data released from Pottermore.... Quirrel himself for a brief time during Harry's first year. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good.", and "mischief managed", a cat, stag, werewolf (not truly an animagus there), a giant black dog, rat (scabbers). Stag, doe (Lilly), a dead basilisk, dementors, lets you breathe underwater for an hour (and gives you kick *** webbed feet), an antidote to most poisons found in the stomach of a goat, Dean Thomas, garden gnomes, (what does Mr Lovegood call them?) Books 1-5, the misuse of muggle artifacts office-- books 6&7, Office for the detection and confiscation of counterfeit spells & objects (how many people report to him?) and ummm..... yeah, you got me beat on the last one. :D

... and no..... this doesn't make me a nerd. :redface:

SunnySooner
8/26/2011, 09:55 AM
Hee hee, HP wars. My son has a tshirt from the park that has the Marauder's Map on the front, and on the back it says, "Mischief Managed." It's subtle, though, you have to look at it closely to realize that's what it is.

And then I have a crimson and gold Quidditch jersey with a purposely torn and stitched "07", the word Gryffindor, and an embroidered Gryffindor symbol on the front, and "Potter" in gold letters stitched on the back. It's allsome. I thought I was gonna get mugged for it at the movie the other day, I was getting the serious green-monster eye.

Next time we go down there, maybe I should take tshirt orders, they have some really cool ones...

Wishboned
8/26/2011, 09:59 AM
I watch Dr. Who and if you don't think that is nerdy enough, my daughter's middle name is Nyssa . . .

I remember one time telling a co-worker what TARDIS was an acronym for. He looked at me and said, "I do believe that's the nerdiest thing I've ever heard."

SoonerAtKU
8/26/2011, 10:52 AM

But I ain't a nerd.

All that and you still can't spell patronus. It's a shame, really.

;)

JohnnyMack
8/26/2011, 11:16 AM
I play Magic, Axis & Allies, Dominion and sometimes Advanced Squad Leader (but that redefines laborious). I love to read Dragonlance in between reading history books.

The last sci-fi convention I attended was Star Wars Celebration 2.

My vintage Star Wars The Roleplaying Game collection is bigger than yours.

Fraggle145
8/26/2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I couldnt really afford the cards, so I didnt have a lot to sell.

I was awesome at sealed deck tournaments though... I was nerdy enough to place 3rd in 3 pro qualifying tourneys.

Chuck Bao
8/26/2011, 02:47 PM
I can be just as nerdy as any of you. Mainly, I am nerdy about a lot of old stuff that nobody really cares about anymore.

I enjoy reading ancient holy texts like the Upanishads and the Puranas.

I enjoy listening to debates about exactly when we entered into the "Age of Aquarius".

I understand the leap year rules and how the date of Easter is calculated (first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox).

I like the sense of asceticism of the Khmers (hence my avatar) and particularly their predecessors, the ancient Mon culture, the Dvaravati, such as this one.

http://216.65.53.93/fcgi-bin/IIPImageServer.fcgi?FIF=d:/images/M198013S.ptif&WID=500&CVT=JPEG

yermom
8/26/2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I couldnt really afford the cards, so I didnt have a lot to sell.

I was awesome at sealed deck tournaments though... I was nerdy enough to place 3rd in 3 pro qualifying tourneys.

i placed 2nd once and top 8 in a handful of others. i'm also a former state champ. :O

as for more respectable nerdiness, i read about cosmology, history of science and poker for pleasure, a fair amount of scifi/fantasy in there as well, i suppose

no Harry Potter though

Soonerwake
8/26/2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, what a bunch of nerds!!!! :topsy_turvy:

And one of you nerds is going to kick some butt at the tailgate??

C&CDean
8/26/2011, 09:24 PM
All that and you still can't spell patronus. It's a shame, really.

;)

I was drinking. Give me a break. I often misspell Mundungus, Wisteria Way, Grimmauld Place, and Kreacher. I'm only a muggle afterall...

C&CDean
8/27/2011, 07:13 AM
I can be just as nerdy as any of you. Mainly, I am nerdy about a lot of old stuff that nobody really cares about anymore.

I enjoy reading ancient holy texts like the Upanishads and the Puranas.

I enjoy listening to debates about exactly when we entered into the "Age of Aquarius".

I understand the leap year rules and how the date of Easter is calculated (first Sunday after the Paschal Full Moon following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox).

I like the sense of asceticism of the Khmers (hence my avatar) and particularly their predecessors, the ancient Mon culture, the Dvaravati, such as this one.

http://216.65.53.93/fcgi-bin/IIPImageServer.fcgi?FIF=d:/images/M198013S.ptif&WID=500&CVT=JPEG

Chuck wins.

Chuck Bao
8/27/2011, 07:22 AM

I once played Trivial Pursuit in the hospital after knee surgery on 2 kinds of painkillers including a morphine drip. My opponents were all college grads, 2 of them with post graduate degrees. It wasn't even close. I'm a freak. ;)

You. Me. Mano y Ella. While I don't really know a lot of useless trivia, I know tons of important ****. Like what I had for breakfast, on May 21st, 1971. Or the exact minute I quit smoking, drugging, doing dip. Or the name of Hagrid's mother. Important ****.

Sister Sunny and Brother Dean, I am not doubting your skills in remembering trivia. I am just very, very good in science, history and geography. I very rarely lose at trivial pursuit to anybody. We may have to play someday and finish this debate.

StoopTroup
8/27/2011, 05:51 PM
I DVR Jeopardy for fun.

yermom
8/28/2011, 12:52 AM
Sister Sunny and Brother Dean, I am not doubting your skills in remembering trivia. I am just very, very good in science, history and geography. I very rarely lose at trivial pursuit to anybody. We may have to play someday and finish this debate.

I once won back to back games of Star Wars and regular Trivial Pursuit. I fear no man :D

reevie
8/28/2011, 09:02 AM
I've got a really bad comic book addiction

reevie
8/28/2011, 09:08 AM
I went to the midnight openings of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I did not dress up.

I watch Ghost Adventures almost every Friday night.

SunnySooner
8/28/2011, 10:45 AM
Chuck, Yermom, ST, Dean, we need to form a trivia team and figure out how to make $$$. Sounds like we each have our own areas of expertise. Do they have grown up trivia tourneys for teams, like my old high school quiz bowl days? Oh yeah, I was an All-State quiz bowler back in the day. That's pretty nerdy, huh, lol!!

Chuck Bao
8/29/2011, 02:42 PM
If we had a team of you guys, then I doubt we would lose to anybody. Get fraggle and Ike and Olevet on board and we'd be unstoppable.

GDC
8/29/2011, 03:13 PM
I watch That Metal Show.

TUSooner
8/29/2011, 03:34 PM
IF I DO IT, IT CAN'T BE NERDY!!! And that includes being in googly-eyed love with an English actress 30 years my junior! (So no rude jokes about my Emma!)

:eek:
Yes, Dean Bwana !!

My nerdiest qualities are a pervasive Anglophilia, my moustache, and a love of history. I also like marches, like those by Kenneth J. Alford & J.P. Sousa. I am a big fan of Australian rules football; I watch every game that comes on ESPN3. Oh yeah, I like cricket, too, all forms from t20 to 5-days tests.

Unlike Dean: If I like something, there's a pretty good chance most people would consider it nerdy. :confusion:

BigTip
8/29/2011, 03:37 PM
You make money at trivia by going to bars that have NTN-Buzztime and betting guys popping off about how good they are at it.

Works for me.

NormanPride
8/30/2011, 09:03 AM
So you like Magic? That's cute. Oh, you're into Harry Potter? That's nice as well. You read tons of civil war or early asian history books? Major respect your way.

But...

I've got you all beat by a country mile. Baj and I just got back from the Seattle Penny Arcade Expo, where we dressed as two video game characters from a mostly cult game called the Ace Attorney series. I was Detective Gumshoe, and she was Franziska von Karma. If you know who those are, then maybe you can keep up with me for a bit.

I watch anime - not the crappy Naruto adult swim or saturday morning cartoon ****. I watch stuff fresh from Japan, translated and subtitled in a matter of hours and delivered hot and ready via bittorrent. I recently saw something I watched four years ago show up on Netflix as "new". Ha!

Mississippi Sooner
8/30/2011, 09:23 AM
So you like Magic? That's cute. Oh, you're into Harry Potter? That's nice as well. You read tons of civil war or early asian history books? Major respect your way.

But...

I've got you all beat by a country mile. Baj and I just got back from the Seattle Penny Arcade Expo, where we dressed as two video game characters from a mostly cult game called the Ace Attorney series. I was Detective Gumshoe, and she was Franziska von Karma. If you know who those are, then maybe you can keep up with me for a bit.

I watch anime - not the crappy Naruto adult swim or saturday morning cartoon ****. I watch stuff fresh from Japan, translated and subtitled in a matter of hours and delivered hot and ready via bittorrent. I recently saw something I watched four years ago show up on Netflix as "new". Ha!

A video game based on the Japanese legal system goes way beyond nerdy, in my opinion. At the same time, I have to admit that I find the concept intriguing.

SoonerAtKU
8/30/2011, 02:52 PM
OBJECTION!

TUSooner
8/30/2011, 04:11 PM

But...

I watch anime - not the crappy Naruto adult swim or saturday morning cartoon ****. I watch stuff fresh from Japan, translated and subtitled in a matter of hours and delivered hot and ready via bittorrent. I recently saw something I watched four years ago show up on Netflix as "new". Ha! That's almost too obscure to be nerdy, but dressing up puts you way up on nerd-o-meter. I bow.

yermom
8/30/2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah, cosplay is where I draw the line.

With all the coverage of comic-con and stuff it doesn't seem that crazy anymore.

Maybe I've watched too much G4 :D

GDC
8/30/2011, 04:29 PM
Is hunting arrowheads nerdy?

IB4OU2
8/30/2011, 04:36 PM
Trivia Question for Dean-

How long is the average railroad spike?

C&CDean
8/30/2011, 07:02 PM
Good God. We've got the epitome of nerdism (T & A) and then a question about railroad spikes. I'm assuming ~4-5 inches? Maybe. Doesn't matter. When you nail one that's sticking up outta the tracks at about 40 mph dead on your taint...what's an inch or 3? The most amazing thing is that I missed the track completely. How the hell can that happen? I did have a slight chafing on my tailbone from the track, but dead. ****ing. center. on a spike that had backed out. Destiny? I suppose.

BudSooner
8/30/2011, 07:27 PM
TEH TAINT RIPPER!

Chuck Bao
8/30/2011, 07:39 PM
You make money at trivia by going to bars that have NTN-Buzztime and betting guys popping off about how good they are at it.

Works for me.

I can pop off with the best of them. Model girlfriend, Russian chick, was telling me yesterday that she is a bona fide genius. I am like seriously girlfriend, you and what Russian school. She's no super model astro-physics super brain. She can model designer clothes but she is not gonna tell me that she knows more than I do. She says she studied economics, like right Russian style economics and like right I can jump up and down on her fashion model ***.

SoonernMilw
8/31/2011, 08:07 AM
I collect bobbleheads and have over 300 a few really old ones

MsProudSooner
8/31/2011, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure I ever cross over into full Nerd mode, but since BBC America started showing Dr. Who again, I never miss an episode.