PDA

View Full Version : Tebow a fourth stringer?

deweydw
8/24/2011, 11:52 AM
I thought he was a lock at starter. I guess not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_denver_broncos_quarterbacks_082311

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – The young quarterback dropped back smoothly in the pocket, looked off the safety and dropped a gorgeous touch pass over the coverage and into the corner of the end zone. His surprised target came out of his break to see the ball arcing downward, and reached up to snatch it just beyond a cornerback’s flailing arms.

Wooooooooooo! numerous Denver Broncos players exclaimed in unison, marveling at the inexperienced passer’s chutzpah and skill.

Yep, Broncos fans – it seems Adam Weber(notes), a rookie free agent from Minnesota, has a little bit of game.

Tim Tebow isn't close to taking over the starting job in Denver.

“He threw that ball before the receiver made his cut, and it came down in the dude’s hands like, ‘Merry Christmas,’ ” Pro Bowl wideout Brandon Lloyd(notes) recalled Monday. “He’s thrown four or five passes like that in camp where it’s been like … whoa. Weber’s got personality, and he’s got some swag about him, too.”

If you’re wondering about the plight of that other inexperienced passer on the Broncos’ roster – how far and fast he has fallen in the eyes of his bosses – consider that at least some people in the organization believe that Tim Tebow(notes) is the fourth-best quarterback on the roster.

As one highly knowledgeable member of the organization told me Monday, “If everything was totally equal, and this were a competition based only on performance at this camp, Tebow would probably be the fourth-string guy. Kyle [Orton] is far and away the best, and Tebow’s way behind [Brady] Quinn, too. And I’m telling you, Adam Weber is flat-out better right now.”

Translation: Tebow, you’re not in Florida anymore.

budbarrybob
8/24/2011, 11:54 AM
TRRTT is lucky to be holding a clipboard after his pre-season performances. Hope he can make some $$ and dissappear.

OUMallen
8/24/2011, 12:23 PM
TRRTT is lucky to be holding a clipboard after his pre-season performances. Hope he can make some $$ and dissappear.

I just hope he disappears. He'll be on the motivational speaker circuit in no time.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2011, 12:34 PM
Orton to Miami was just a garbage excuse for ESPN to break out the Tebow talk to bolster ratings during a slow sports month. TRRTW never was seriously considered for the job, especially with Elway running things.

We will never be rid of this guy. Once he hangs it up, he will become a shining star in the sports talking head world of ESPN, without a doubt.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/24/2011, 12:59 PM
It's hard to believe Denver drafted a fullback in the 1st round.

The said part is the UDFA will get cut because they are paying Tebow guaranteed money.

8timechamps
8/24/2011, 02:12 PM
Tebow was McDaniels pick...

The problem is that the Broncos owe him a nice paycheck, so they have to try and make him work somehow. Maybe a couple of years holding the clipboard will help him out. He's a good kid with a strong work ethic.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2011, 02:30 PM
:angel:http://13psi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/tim_tebow_crying-290x300.jpg

OK2U
8/24/2011, 02:39 PM
For the love of God, stop starting threads about Tim Tebow. Ya'll are just as bad as the media. There's no reason his name should be mentioned on an OU board less than 2 weeks before the season opener.
I don't want to see any posts, even if you're making fun of him.
STOP caring about it

Sooner_Tuf
8/24/2011, 02:55 PM
I think the reason he is a fourth stringer is because they don't have a fifth string?

The Maestro
8/24/2011, 03:23 PM
But he works harder than anyone! He is the first one in and the last one to leave! And he loves Jesus! He circumcised kids!!!!

If all it took were heart a lot of 5'5", 125 pounders would be NFL quarterbacks.

SoonerNomad
8/24/2011, 03:29 PM
It's real funny to laugh at a guy we couldn't stop on third down when it counted the most. As horrible as he appears to be he was better than the OU defensive players in January 2009.

In reality he has looked awful in practice, but looked decent in the first preseason game and didn't get to play much in the second. He has an awful throwing motion but he succeeded in limited play last year and always seems to find a way to get it done.

At least that's what it felt like when he played my favorite team with a title on the line.

Mike Stoops
8/24/2011, 03:38 PM
I wonder how long before we get another "I felt like someone was trying to take my dream from me" comment. I don't really know what planet some of these people are living on that think you don't have to earn it in camp/practice to be the starting QB. Sam had to earn it in STL when he was a rookie. Colt McCoy is having to earn it in Cleveland. NFL coaches are in the business of putting their team in the best position to win games, not make sure everyone gets to "live their dreams."

SoonerNomad
8/24/2011, 03:45 PM
I wonder how long before we get another "I felt like someone was trying to take my dream from me" comment. I don't really know what planet some of these people are living on that think you don't have to earn it in camp/practice to be the starting QB. Sam had to earn it in STL when he was a rookie. Colt McCoy is having to earn it in Cleveland. NFL coaches are in the business of putting their team in the best position to win games, not make sure everyone gets to "live their dreams."

Definitely cannot disagree with this logic. Maybe some of Tebow's zealots would say he didn't get a chance to live a dream, but I don't think he would and he is getting a chance. He just hasn't stepped up in Denver and that relationship seems doomed, but I believe he will get a chance again and will work hard to get back on the field. You can tell from his attitude he doesn't want it handed to him. He wants the chance to prove he is capable of getting the job done. Someone will give it to him.

fossil
8/24/2011, 06:41 PM
Dear Mr. OK2U.

But you clicked on the damned thread and read it. Your fault. It works kinda like a radio. If you don't like the song, there's an OFF. Don't listen to the song. Nobody forced you to click on and read this thread. Sheesh!

Ruf/Nek7
8/24/2011, 07:02 PM
This is great. Assures that my pick up of Brandon Lloyd will pay off!

bluedogok
8/24/2011, 09:05 PM
I'm a Denver fan and I wish they would cut him, there are too many delusional whiners who think he is deserving. Thankfully the coaching staff isn't included in that group. He is not a NFL level quarterback, he is an H-Back/Fullback. He is a Vince Young with less talent but more brain and work ethic.

nighttrain12
8/24/2011, 09:08 PM
But he works harder than anyone! He is the first one in and the last one to leave! And he loves Jesus! He circumcised kids!!!!

If all it took were heart a lot of 5'5", 125 pounders would be NFL quarterbacks.

Plus he said at that press conference back in college that he was a virgin, not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Curly Bill
8/24/2011, 09:09 PM
There is no one in the whole world that knows the least little bit about the NFL, and the QB position, that thought he could be an NFL QB...NO ONE!!!

8timechamps
8/24/2011, 10:47 PM
i was hoping we were going to show him off in the preseason and trade him away...doesn't seem to be the case, as nobody wants to take on the contract. The really sad part is that he may be better than any of our fullbacks and half of our linebackers.

Curly Bill
8/25/2011, 12:00 AM
If he's such a good guy I'm sue he'll be fine with a position switch, you know..to help the team and all.

Sooner Among The Pack
8/25/2011, 12:14 AM
TE or FB. That's the position he could play and potentially, and maybe, be of some value. Otherwise, he has none.

Curly Bill
8/25/2011, 12:17 AM
They could put him on the medical staff...you know, he could lay hands on injured players and fix em right up.

OU_Sooners75
8/25/2011, 12:34 AM
I hate Tebow, or at least the love the media has for the guy. But he is a talented player. If he really wants to make a decent paycheck in the NFL for a long time he should try switching to the fullback or te position like some here have suggested.

TIMB0B
8/25/2011, 12:58 AM
I hate Tebow, or at least the love the media has for the guy. But he is a talented player. If he really wants to make a decent paycheck in the NFL for a long time he should try switching to the fullback or te position like some here have suggested.

Would that make him the highest paid fullback or tight end in the league? It certainly would be the highest paid unproven player at his position.

Maybe they should Doug Flutie him and move him to punter.

70sooner
8/25/2011, 06:32 AM
There is no one in the whole world that knows the least little bit about the NFL, and the QB position, that thought he could be an NFL QB...NO ONE!!!

this!~

BudSooner
8/25/2011, 06:46 AM
Hmmmm, Eric Crouch=Timmy?

deweydw
8/25/2011, 09:31 AM
He could always play in the CFL. He would fit in perfect up there. He's a shot gun qb. And that's all they run.

SoonerAtKU
8/25/2011, 09:48 AM

Well, Josh McDaniels has dealt with some fairly successful QBs in his time. Fans of Sam Bradford had better hope he knows something about that job. Granted, he wasn't cut out to be a head coach, but he knows the position and what a good QB in the NFL looks like.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 12:20 PM
Well, Josh McDaniels has dealt with some fairly successful QBs in his time. Fans of Sam Bradford had better hope he knows something about that job. Granted, he wasn't cut out to be a head coach, but he knows the position and what a good QB in the NFL looks like.

Well, he certainly does now!

Bourbon St Sooner
8/25/2011, 12:32 PM

He probably knows the position so well he figured he could fix whatever was wrong with him. It didn't work out so well for Josh.

Mike Stoops
8/25/2011, 12:46 PM
I think that may have been an ego driven decision by McDaniels. If he could have made Tebow an NFL QB it would have been a tremendous feather in his cap. What happens when you give a guy that young total control of a team.

SoonerAtKU
8/25/2011, 01:21 PM
I also assumed there was some pressure externally to get him, and I'm sure there was a ton of ego involved in trying to turn a "winner" into a QB.

8timechamps
8/25/2011, 03:45 PM
The problem is, he THINKS he's an NFL quarterback. If the dude would accept the reality that he's not, he could still play in the NFL...just not at QB.

And, FWIW, John Elway seems to think he's an NFL QB prospect.

Widescreen
8/25/2011, 03:51 PM
And, FWIW, John Elway seems to think he's an NFL QB prospect.
Apparently he thinks he's the 4th best NFL prospect on the roster.

8timechamps
8/25/2011, 03:54 PM
The Broncos didn't release a depth chart showing Tebow as the fourth stringer. That was a national reporter that said "he heard from a high ranking member of the Broncos management".

That said, the word from Dove Valley (Bronco training facility) is that he is light years away from starting. There is little doubt that Orton and Quinn have looked much better than he has....and the lack of off-season OTAs certainly didn't help.

As a fan, I would really like to see him traded away...but there probably isn't a team in the NFL that would want to take on that contract.

Mike Stoops
8/25/2011, 05:12 PM
If he wants to play as bad as he says wouldn't he be willing to restructure his deal for a chance to start?

tennsooner
8/25/2011, 07:49 PM
I predicted one year in the league for him and then a tv preacher. I'd love to take credit for being right but it was nothing but obvious.