Murray, DeMarco Dallas Cowboys Running Back
Nelson, Jonathan St. Louis Rams Defensive Back
Peterson, Adrian Minnesota Vikings Running Back
Pool, Brodney New York Jets Safety
Robinson, Duke Carolina Panthers Guard
Smith, Reggie San Francisco 49ers Safety
Wilkerson, Jimmy Seattle Seahawks Defensive End
Williams, Trent Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle

Is this list outdated or about as up-to-date as a preseason roster can be?

Who are the longshots, the doubtfuls, the hopefuls, the probables and the shoo-ins to make an NFL roster? Or a practice squad?

Sooner in Tampa
8/23/2011, 10:38 AM
Davin Joseph and Gerald McCoy are not trying to make the roster...they are done deals.

This is a quote from Raheem Morris after the Patriots loss

“I was very encouraged by the way Gerald McCoy played the game. I thought he was very disruptive. [The Patriots] had to change their blocking schemes and start trapping him just because he was getting off the ball so good and getting in the backfield, which is what we want from a 3-technique — is to be disruptive and have guys behind him make the plays. "

Cory Brandon is listed as 3rd string LT...not looking good. Donald Penn is the starter (Probably a Pro Bowl this yr) and Demar Dotson is 2nd string

I haven't heard much about Madu...doesn't look good to be quite honest...as close as I follow the Bucs, if you are not hearing ANYTHING...your days are numbered. Madu is listed as "Other" on the depth chart :chargrined:

badger
8/23/2011, 10:44 AM
If someone who follows the NFL a lot (paging STEP!) could go through and classify everyone, I might be nice and even make it into a vBookie event :)

Bourbon St Sooner
8/23/2011, 10:57 AM
Clint Ingram has been sidelined with a hamstring injury and hasn't played the first 2 preseason games. He needs to get on the field if he's going to have a chance to make the team.

Hartley's the kicker for the Saints. They didn't even invite another kicker to camp.

badger
8/23/2011, 11:14 AM
I'll go out on a whim here and say this is about what it should look like?

Already in:
Bradford, Sam St. Louis Rams Quarterback
Gregg, Kelly Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Tackle
Gresham, Jermaine Cincinnati Bengals Tight End
Hartley, Garrett New Orleans Saints Place kicker
Joseph, Davin Tampa Bay Buccaneers Guard
Lofton, Curtis Atlanta Falcons Linebacker
McCoy, Gerald Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Tackle
Peterson, Adrian Minnesota Vikings Running Back
Pool, Brodney New York Jets Safety
Williams, Trent Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle

All these first round draft picks and starters are likely going nowhere.

Probable:
Ayodele, Remi Minnesota Vikings Defensive Tackle
Brown, Jammal Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle
Chester, Chris Washington Redskins Center
Cooper, Jon Minnesota Vikings Center
Harris, Tommie Indianapolis Colts Defensive Tackle
Loadholt, Phil Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Murray, DeMarco Dallas Cowboys Running Back
Robinson, Duke Carolina Panthers Guard
Smith, Reggie San Francisco 49ers Safety
Wilkerson, Jimmy Seattle Seahawks Defensive End

All of these guys are vets or recent draft picks that I haven't heard anything too negative about that seem to have contributed to their current (or recent) teams a lot. But I really don't know.

Questionable/Doubtful:

Ah You, C.J. St. Louis Rams Defensive End
Balogun, Mike Dallas Cowboys Linebacker
Beal, Jeremy Denver Broncos Defensive End
Brandon, Cory Tampa Bay Buccaneers Offensive Tackle
Braxton, Branndon Cleveland Browns Offensive Tackle
Carter, Quinton Denver Broncos Safety
Clayton, Keenan Philadelphia Eagles Linebacker
Eldridge, Brody Indianapolis Colts Tight End
English, Auston Cleveland Browns Linebacker
Franks, Dominique Atlanta Falcons Cornerback
Ingram, Clint New Orleans Saints Linebacker
Jackson, Brian New York Giants Cornerback

Longshot:
Clapp, Matt Detroit Lions Fullback
Finley, J.J. Detroit Lions Tight End
Iglesias, Juaquin Minnesota Vikings Wide Receiver
Johnson, Manuel Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver
Jones, Brandon Baltimore Ravens Wide Receiver
Kelly, Malcolm Washington Redskins Wide Receiver
Kenney, Cameron San Diego Chargers Wide Receiver
Madu, Mossis Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running Back
Mensik, Eric Arizona Cardinals Offensive Tackle
Nelson, Jonathan St. Louis Rams Defensive Back

These last two categories, I'm not sure where to place them, but they were either undrafted or I saw them only in last-minute, last-quarter mopup duty, or out with injuries (read: Malcolm Kelly).

Am I way off on these? Have you heard anything about any of them, good bad or anything inbetween?

jk the sooner fan
8/23/2011, 11:16 AM
I think you'd move Reggie Smith from the probable to the "most likely"

i also wouldnt classify C.J. Ah You and Brody Eldridge as doubtful

badger
8/23/2011, 11:22 AM
Reggie's a starter, isn't he? I never watch the 49ers. Might get mugged through the TV set :eek: OK, so that would make in "already in"

Ah You and Brody both play a lot now, so they'd be more probable I guess?

jk the sooner fan
8/23/2011, 11:24 AM
Ah You is second on the depth chart - but the Colts LOVED Eldridge before he got hurt last year

cantwait48
8/23/2011, 11:30 AM
Kelly Gregg is a freak for still being on that list, what did he leave OU in like '98 or something. who has had the 2nd longest career on that list, Harris?

what about Mark Clayton? has he landed anywhere yet

badger
8/23/2011, 11:32 AM
The latest on Clayton here. (http://www.google.com/search?q=mark+clayton&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=mark+clayton&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=nws&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wn&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=5fde6a2706e73cc7&biw=1280&bih=831)

And yeah, Kelly Gregg is really anchoring the KC Chiefs line. NP mentioned that he's already been voted as a captain, his first year with that squad. That's some vet respect right there!

kevpks
8/23/2011, 11:40 AM
Good news on M. Clayton. I was hoping the Rams would sign him but I just want him to land somewhere.

badger
8/23/2011, 11:49 AM
OK, so I went through Google and found that every player I listed as a "longshot" was either a late/undrafted guy that is competing for the final slot in whatever position, started a fight in camp (read: Matt Clapp) or is injured (read: MK).

So... betting on longshots only, because that's more fun. I'll be even more fun and base the odds off of their jersey numbers or something. The MLB event today closes in about 15 minutes if you choose to waste your vCash before the NFL roster one, hehe. This should be a fun way for you guys to get tons of vCash and cheer on the Sooner alums to make the NFL at the same time.

ouleaf
8/23/2011, 11:51 AM
I think just about everyone will make a roster so I'll focus on the ones that are iffy.

I really hope Mike Balogun gets a shot with the Cowboys, but he's just been okay in camp this year. Fortunately for him, the Cowboys do need depth at ILB. If he doesn't make the roster I think it's back to somone's practice squad again Cowboys or otherwise.

Corey Brandon most likely will not.

Braxton has a chance to be a backup w/ Cleveland, but he's behind Joe Thomas one of the best in the game at LT.

Q. Carter should make it, but I worry about Beal up in Denver.

Not sure about Auston English for practice squad even.

Not sure if Juaquin makes it in Minny, but I think he's shown some improvement. I think he'll catch on somewhere or at least make Practice Squad...Same with his old running mate Manny Johnson with the Cowboys right now.

I think the Giants are looking at Brian Jackson at Safety at the moment. Hope he can make it there, as I'm just not sure he's an NFL caliber corner.

Not sure at all about Malcolm Kelly. Wouldn't be suprised if Redskins cut him.

Haven't heard much from Cam Kenney, so I'd say his odds of staying on in SD are not very good.

Was surprised Brandon Jones was still in football. He signed that nice contract with the Niners a few years back, but I think only made it through one year. I thought he was done after that. Here's hoping he can make a return, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Not sure about Duke in Carolina either. Would be surprised if Madu or Mensik make a team this year too.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/23/2011, 12:52 PM
I think you'd move Reggie Smith from the probable to the "most likely"

i also wouldnt classify C.J. Ah You and Brody Eldridge as doubtful

Girls don't know much about football... :tongue:

badger
8/23/2011, 01:36 PM
I just wasn't thinking very hard about it, thank ye very much. Besides, that classification was questionable/doubtful, emphasis on the ? part of it because I just wasn't sure.

So... eff you! :P

Mad Dog Madsen
8/23/2011, 01:41 PM
So... eff you! :P

I am deeply saddend by this... :distress:

the-rover
8/23/2011, 01:51 PM
Did Roy Williams decide to retire?

badger
8/23/2011, 01:52 PM
I think he was keeping his options open but is doing some reality TV show in Dallas or somewhere in Texas. No joke.

the-rover
8/23/2011, 02:04 PM
Found this:
Aug. 20, 2011 11:26 p.m. - by Lee Rasizer - Denver backup safety David Bruton (head) was hurt making a fourth-quarter tackle and will not return. Bruton and Darcel McBath are battling for one of the final spots on the back end of Denver's defense. The pair are running behind Rahim Moore, Brian Dawkins and Kyle McCarthy, with rookie Quinton Carter virtually assured a roster spot, too. Broncos RapidReports

badger
8/23/2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah, something told me Defensive Q was more likely to make the roster... possibly his draft location :D A fourth rounder is not as easy to cut, as say, a undrafted/free agent pickup.

the-rover
8/23/2011, 02:35 PM
Aug. 23, 2011 12:43 p.m. - by Nick Eatman - Garrett happy to see Murray finally on field
Coach Jason Garrett on seeing RB DeMarco Murray on the field for the first time: "I looked over and saw No. 29 and said ‘who is that guy?’ But it’s good to see him. We think he can really help our football team and we’re excited to see a new player out here. We have high expectations for DeMarco." Cowboys RapidReports

Also....I think CJ Ah You, Dominique Franks and Clint Ingram all have real good chances to make their respective teams.

I also think Manny Johnson will be on a roster somewhere if the Cowboys let him go. They released some of his competeition today.

badger
8/23/2011, 02:45 PM
I also think Manny Johnson will be on a roster somewhere if the Cowboys let him go. They released some of his competeition today.

Agree. He made a great catch in that last preseason game late in the game, even from that aggie quarterback, hehe, and I know I've seen him special teamin' this year too, which helps secure roster spots.

Might be a good vCash investment :)

VA Sooner
8/23/2011, 05:41 PM
I think Brian Jackson will now make it on the Giants' roster since they are down 4 DBs, especially after the torn ACL last night of the veteran corner who is now out for the season.

Iglesias looked good in the pre-season games... he was open quite a bit but the new QBs didn't notice until later in the game and took advantage of his elusiveness. He's still got that side-step cut and run.