PDA

View Full Version : Best Stadiums in College FB by Fox

SoonerinSouthlake
8/23/2011, 07:24 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/gallery/Best-College-Football-Stadium?gt1=39002#photo-title=You%20have%20to%20get%20there%20...&photo=30086981

Why oh why do they feel the all must give whorns love in all these lists....note all the empty seats there are

Partial Qualifier
8/23/2011, 09:54 AM
When talking stadiums and excluding game-day atmosphere, I'm ok with DKR in the top 15.

But purely regarding the stadiums... what are Clemson's stadium Oregon's Autzen doing on that list?

LVSOONER15
8/23/2011, 09:57 AM
When talking stadiums and excluding game-day atmosphere, I'm ok with DKR in the top 15.

But purely regarding the stadiums... what are Clemson's stadium Oregon's Autzen doing on that list?

That's what I said. And to be honest, I think Penn St. wins the title.

Fraggle145
8/23/2011, 10:34 AM
I have always wondered why we havent done something similar to Alabama's stadium to provide a bit of shade to the fans in the upper decks.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 12:32 PM
Calling Florida State's campus "beautiful" is like fawning all over a Chevy Cavalier. You folks that have never been are going to see one disorganized, fugly mess.

Not even in the same category as the Ovals.

oudavid1
8/23/2011, 03:58 PM
Tennessee > Everyone else

jumperstop
8/23/2011, 04:10 PM
I guess you can't put OU on every list. And honestly, never really been impressed by aTm's stadium.

delhalew
8/23/2011, 05:16 PM
Loudness must be the key factor for that list. The design of SEC stadiums make them very loud, and Kyle field is similar. I have also heard Oregon's stadium is very loud.

I don't know why DKR is listed. It must be glorious.

ouleaf
8/23/2011, 05:17 PM
what are Clemson's stadium Oregon's Autzen doing on that list?

Yeah I wasn't sure about Clemson's being on there.

I will give Oregon credit though, even though i witnessed first-hand the travesty that was the 2006 screw-job....That place does get incredibly loud for a place that doesn't boast a capacity greater than 60,000.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2011, 05:44 PM
Kyle Field is a dump.

IlliniJ
8/23/2011, 05:53 PM
OU should be getting the exposure of playing in stadiums like these regularly rather than playing in 3rd rate dumps in the middle of nowhere all season long in the Longhorns and their minions conference.

yermom
8/23/2011, 07:24 PM
i'd love to go back to Oregon. that place is beautiful, the stadium was loud as hell, and the fans were generally pretty awesome.

i was not really impressed with DKR. of course, they were at the end of the worst season in recent memory while i was there, so it wasn't exactly rocking. i was expecting a little more jabs from the whorns for wearing OU gear, but that didn't really happen either.

bluedogok
8/23/2011, 07:29 PM
i'd love to go back to Oregon. that place is beautiful, the stadium was loud as hell, and the fans were generally pretty awesome.

i was not really impressed with DKR. of course, they were at the end of the worst season in recent memory while i was there, so it wasn't exactly rocking. i was expecting a little more jabs from the whorns for wearing OU gear, but that didn't really happen either.
Whorn fans get more obnoxious the further away they get from Austin. I get much less grief living here than I did when I lived in Dallas.

Sabanball
8/23/2011, 07:32 PM
OU should be getting the exposure of playing in stadiums like these regularly rather than playing in 3rd rate dumps in the middle of nowhere all season long in the Longhorns and their minions conference.

Then join the SEC...:smug:

RiddlerOK
8/23/2011, 10:05 PM
I have to give it up to Neyland Stadium. Volunteer Navy and the autumn surroundings make for a great game. I'd give Clemson stadium and Husky Stadium in Seattle props too. Really cool settings for all of these places.

yermom
8/24/2011, 12:40 AM
Whorn fans get more obnoxious the further away they get from Austin. I get much less grief living here than I did when I lived in Dallas.

Nebraska fans in KC were certainly more dickish than in Lincoln. i didn't really notice either way in Arlington, really

jkjsooner
8/24/2011, 09:12 AM
That's what I said. And to be honest, I think Penn St. wins the title.

I could not disagree more. It's big but looks like a NASCAR erector set from the outside. There's nothing charming about that stadium.

OutlandTrophy
8/24/2011, 09:19 AM
How is Ben Hill Griffin Stadium "built below ground"? That doesn't make much sense to me. Did they mean "the field's elevation is below sea level"?

pphilfran
8/24/2011, 09:25 AM
I have been to most all of the name stadiums...

Bama at the top....then
ND
Tenn saw em play the Hogs in 2000 - 35-0 after 1st quarter

pphilfran
8/24/2011, 09:29 AM
How is Ben Hill Griffin Stadium "built below ground"? That doesn't make much sense to me. Did they mean "the field's elevation is below sea level"?

Evidently it was not easy to do....

I think ND stadium has the lower level at or below ground level...

Construction began on April 16, 1930, and immediately faced serious engineering and geotechnical obstacles related to natural ground water and drainage.[8] The stadium was built in a shallow ravine, and the lower thirty-two rows of the east, west and north stands were built below ground level of the surrounding land.[8] When excavation reached the water table, water began to pour into the construction site from the north end, and men, mules and mule-drawn equipment became mired in the resulting mud.[8] The drainage challenge was ultimately resolved by the installation of massive underground culverts leading to Graham Pond, two blocks south of the stadium site.[8] Problems solved, the construction team of eighty laborers and mules completed "Florida Field," as it was first known, in time for the November 8, 1930 homecoming game against Alabama, the dominant Southern Conference team of the day.[9] Florida Field was rededicated in 1934 to the memory of Florida servicemen who died in World War I, and a plaque was placed on the outside wall behind the old north endzone as a memorial.[2]

MichiganSooner
8/24/2011, 10:41 AM

Not necessarily below sea level but below the elevation of the surrounding land.

Michigan Stadium is built this way. Due to drainage problems, a big hole was dug and the field is at the bottom of the hole. When you walk into Michigan Stadium, you enter at about row 90 so most people walk to their seats by walking down the aisle. The first time I went to a game there, I thought it was a dinky stadium by the appearance of the the outside. Then I walked through the entrance ramp and said, "Wow".

MichiganSooner
8/24/2011, 10:49 AM
Why isn't our stadium on that list?

MichiganSooner
8/24/2011, 10:55 AM
Getting back to Michigan Stadium, the late radio announcer, Bob Ufer, referred to it as "the hole that Yost dug, Canham carpeted, and Bo filled up. Fielding Yost was the first great M coach and his teams were the reason the place was built; Don Canham was an AD hired in the 60's who installed astroturf; when the artificial turf was removed, Ufer said it was the place that Canham paid for, and Bo's teams started the string of sellouts since 1969.

Back to OU football...

3rdgensooner
8/24/2011, 11:02 AM
OU should be getting the exposure of playing in stadiums like these regularly rather than playing in 3rd rate dumps in the middle of nowhere all season long in the Longhorns and their minions conference.You're feeling a bit trollish today, no?

Why isn't our stadium on that list?Because we have the longest home winning streak in the nation.

oh, wait.

ouleaf
8/24/2011, 11:19 AM
Not necessarily below sea level but below the elevation of the surrounding land.

Michigan Stadium is built this way.

Pretty sure all or most stadiums built with the field is below the ground level....helps to give better sight lines.

Michigan's stadium is an extreme example of this since they don't have any upper decks.

jkjsooner
8/24/2011, 11:28 AM
Pretty sure all or most stadiums built with the field is below the ground level....helps to give better sight lines.

Michigan's stadium is an extreme example of this since they don't have any upper decks.

How does being below ground give better sight lines? You can adjust the slope of the structure however you want (whether it be above or below ground). They always start at a lesser slope and the slope increase as you go up for sightline purposes but this has nothing to do with where the ground is outside the stadium.

Many stadiums are slightly below ground but we're not talking slight here.

bluedogok
8/24/2011, 09:30 PM

Have you ever seen Kyle Field? It seems like the tallest thing for a hundred miles, they just kept building up. Many stadiums are the same way.

landrun
8/24/2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I've been to the Georgia, Florida, FSU and Bama stadiums.
Georgia is awesome. Clean! Like Disney Land clean. Everything is impeccable.
I've been to FSU a hundred times and it is a rusty tin can below the bleachers. I can't believe it has made it onto this list.
Bama was nice too from what I remember.

FSU has no business son this list. Its the worst stadium I've ever been to.

Herr Scholz
8/24/2011, 11:03 PM
When you boys get a real stadium and join the big boys, then you can complain. Your stadium is cute.

Sooner_Tuf
8/25/2011, 12:21 AM
"DKR-where you can hear a pin drop. Stop by Stub Hub for the cheapest tickets in the Big 12. There is even a 5 in 12 chance you'll get to see us win"

XingTheRubicon
8/25/2011, 09:16 AM
When you boys get a real stadium and join the big boys, then you can complain. Your stadium is cute.

Why don't you try to go .500 at home this year, numbnuts.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 12:22 PM

Especially Heisman Park with all the statues and the Scoreboard and Press Box listing all the Championships.

Football Jim
8/25/2011, 09:24 PM
I thought that OSU's old field was the most functional as the poke fans had a better view to the outside of the stadium. That way they could better spot sheep they may want to hump.
Darn Boone Pickens......

champions77
8/26/2011, 01:48 PM
Is it possible to have the best facilities...without having a top 15 stadium? Just curious because Coach Mike Gundy tweeted just the other day that they had the best facilities in the country. Maybe he think if he just keeps saying it enough that someone will believe him.

Fraggle145
8/26/2011, 01:49 PM
Tennessee > Everyone else

If you want to vomit from vertigo.

silverwheels
8/26/2011, 02:04 PM
Plus the outside of Neyland is hideous. Cover that **** up with bricks or something.

EDIT: Wait, I guess they finally have. It's about time.