PDA

View Full Version : Dallas paper predicts Texas at 8-4 and losing to OU & OSU

nighttrain12
8/22/2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110820-game-by-game-predictions-for-texas-longhorns-.ece

Texas vs. Oklahoma (in Dallas), Oct. 8, L, 35-17

Sooners quarterback Landry Jones has a field day tossing the ball around to Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills, and a strong Oklahoma defense — led by linebacker Travis Lewis, making his first start back from injury — stifles Texas’ ground game in Dallas.

Texas at Oklahoma State, Oct. 15, L, 38-24

Last year’s 33-16 loss to the Cowboys in Austin wasn’t as close as the score indicated. Texas trailed, 33-10, starting the fourth quarter before two short rushing touchdowns made the final more respectable. This time around, it’s the same old story: OSU quarterback Brandon Weeden teams up with Justin Blackmon time and time again, and the Longhorns offense can’t keep up.

OUHOMER
8/22/2011, 08:19 PM
Yep, sounds about right

SapulpaSooner
8/22/2011, 08:20 PM
OSU has to go back to Austin this year

Okie35
8/22/2011, 08:26 PM

And * will lose again.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 08:27 PM

That's an added plus for Oklahoma St. as it wasn't tough to win in Austin even before last season.

soonervegas
8/22/2011, 08:29 PM

That's just embarrassing for a sportswriter.

goingoneight
8/22/2011, 08:30 PM
Texas *should* be one of those teams that starts out slow (let's say a loss to each of BYU, UCLA and OU) and starts to put an 8-4 rebuilding campaign together. But, they *should* have been able to do that last year after the UCLA and OU losses. Especially with what *should* have been a momentum-builder winning at Nebraska. Texas doesn't have the problems most people think they do. Gilbert's nobody's All-American, but he's not THE reason Texas was just jogging around and playing like they wanted to mail the season in against K-State and OSU. They flat-out quit on Mack Brown and his staff last year. They have more than enough talent to rebound, let's just see if they do.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:07 PM
That's an added plus for Oklahoma St. as it wasn't tough to win in Austin even before last season.
Just couldn't be further from the truth. Couldn't be more of a false statement.

SunnySooner
8/22/2011, 09:17 PM
Herr, whaddya think the crowd in Austin will look like this year? That's an awful big stadium, ya kinda got a bandwagon problem...empty seats? Especially if you struggle with Rice, as you did last year?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 09:23 PM
Just couldn't be further from the truth. Couldn't be more of a false statement.

Between Texas routinely playing weak non-conference schedules and losing to both Ohio St. and Texas A&M in Austin in the 2006 season and Kansas St. in the 2007 season and then throwing in what happened last season, not really. Texas would have lost to Oklahoma St. in Austin in the 2008 season as well if it wasn't for the royal screw job by the Austin based officiating crew. Sorry, but DKR is not an intimidating place to play at; even when Texas is good. It couldn't be any closer to the truth. Couldn't be more of a true statement.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:26 PM
Sunny, we've sold out the place nonstop since Mack got here in '98. Even at 100K+, we haven't not sold it out. We have 80K+ in season ticket holders. I know, I'm one of them.

The empty seat thing you see is a function of a lot of parties going on before, during and after the game, it's not people not going to the games or buying tickets. It's people going to beer tents all over creation when they get bored or things go badly (Dude the Black Crowes are playing at Stubbs tonight - let's go). Same thing at the Cotton Bowl. You've seen it. Yeah, I guess we're ****ty fans.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:28 PM
Between Texas routinely playing weak non-conference schedules and losing to both Ohio St. and Texas A&M in Austin in the 2006 season and Kansas St. in the 2007 season and then throwing in what happened last season, not really. Texas would have lost to Oklahoma St. in Austin in the 2008 season as well if it wasn't for the royal screw job by the Austin based officiating crew. Sorry, but DKR is not an intimidating place to play at; even when Texas is good. It couldn't be any closer to the truth. Couldn't be more of a true statement.
Nope, 6 home losses in 12 years is not easy for visiting teams. That was simply a completely false statement. You're wrong. Let's see if you can admit it.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 09:38 PM
Nope, 6 home losses in 12 years is not easy for visiting teams. That was simply a completely false statement. You're wrong. Let's see if you can admit it.

Losing at home every other year on average is good? Awrrrrrrighty then!

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, relatively speaking it sure is. You guys are off the charts in winning at home but that's a damn good home record.

Duly noted that you can't admit when you're wrong.

VA Sooner
8/22/2011, 09:41 PM
I can see an 8-4 season for Texas. A rebuilding year, especially with such a huge overhaul of the coaching staff.

Mack threw his coaches under a bus... especially Greg Davis.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:42 PM
And thank God for that.

Partial Qualifier
8/22/2011, 09:43 PM
That place is a mausoleum on a GOOD day Herr, how can you say that with a straight face?

Over the last 12 years, teams with a pulse and *not* named Oklahoma State most often come in there and have their way with the Longhorns. Arkansas, tOSU, Aggy, UCLA... who am i missing. Oh yeah KSU. Six home losses in twelve years isn't something I'd be bragging about if I'm "The" University of Texas, especially with those assisted wins over OSU mentioned earlier.

Come again? ;)

JLEW1818
8/22/2011, 09:43 PM
Losses under Uncle Mack in Austin

NC State
Kansas State

Arky

Ohio St
tx aggie

kstate

zero

zero

2010, lol
UCLA
Iowa State
Baylor
okie light
Texas aggie

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't you say last year was an anomaly?

Flying Scotsman
8/22/2011, 09:59 PM
Every year Texas is an anomaly. Basically, they're statistically deviant....

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 10:02 PM
Wouldn't you say last year was an anomaly?

Let's see what happens this season first. heh UT's 5-7 record was most certainly an anomaly, but losing at home certainly wasn't. Really, despite them not being world-beaters this particular season, everything will be known about UT in the BYU and UCLA games. I think anyone that watched UT last season in their non-conference games realized there were some serious issues, mainly the play of Garrett Gilbert, that weren't going to be addressed by experience alone. Looking beyond Garrett Gilbert, UT's poor offensive line play, lackluster rushing defense, poor running game and only having one reliable receiver in Mike Davis, one of the biggest problems was the bickering in the coaching staff (a very serious issue last season) that certainly won't go unoticed by players.

BigRed47
8/22/2011, 11:57 PM
Look, last year OU had a much better team than Texas and still only won by 8 points. Now on paper it looks as though OU has a better team than the Horns, but there is still an awful lot of talent on their team. I think it will be a nail-biter and will be won by the team that turns the ball over the least. I won't forget just how close OU was to turning the ball over deep in their end late in the 4th quarter. Jones loses that ball and we might have been looking at overtime. I think that last year was a blip for Texas. They will be a much better team this year and I hope the Sooners don't take them lightly because of their 5-7 record of last year.

Herr Scholz
8/23/2011, 12:21 AM
I hope the Sooners don't take them lightly because of their 5-7 record of last year.
No way that happens any year in this game. Too much hate. Don't worry about complacency. You guys take it this year.

ouwasp
8/23/2011, 12:32 AM
Hey, tex can't help but be better this yr. No way are they losing to isu and ucla again. I bet they beat byu at home. If OU could have played tex last Nov the score might have been 77-0, good guys. But they won't have quit by the time they play the Sooners this yr...

That being said, I hope tex goes 2-10.... beating the pokes and the aggies. :)

thecrimsoncrusader
8/23/2011, 07:09 AM
Look, last year OU had a much better team than Texas and still only won by 8 points. Now on paper it looks as though OU has a better team than the Horns, but there is still an awful lot of talent on their team. I think it will be a nail-biter and will be won by the team that turns the ball over the least. I won't forget just how close OU was to turning the ball over deep in their end late in the 4th quarter. Jones loses that ball and we might have been looking at overtime. I think that last year was a blip for Texas. They will be a much better team this year and I hope the Sooners don't take them lightly because of their 5-7 record of last year.

Let's also remember though that regardless of the FSU outcome, Oklahoma was still a team at that time that was finding themselves. That was still at a time and a team that struggled against Utah St. and Air Force when they 4th quarter came around in those games and that was at a time when Landry was still getting it together and at a time when a greatly hobbled Adrian Taylor was still on the field. The end of the season Oklahoma team would have killed UT. And point comparisons are worthless anyway. You are forgetting, Oklahoma will be a much better team this year and on both sides of the ball. Oklahoma was a very young team last season, so young in fact, this year's team will return around 16 starters next season evenly balanced across both sides of the ball.

sooner518
8/23/2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I guess we're ****ty fans.
well, at least he's honest.

badger
8/23/2011, 08:39 AM
Last year you only lost Colt and Jordan. Your defense was pretty much all back, right? Last year wasn't supposed to be a rebuilding year, it was supposed to be another year in contention for the title, or at least the Big 12 title.

Now that you've lost your D and still no longer have elder McCoy/Shipley, what will become of the Texa5 7onghorns?

fwsooner22
8/23/2011, 03:16 PM
I was at two games in Austin last year. Herr is full of it. That place was an absolute morgue. I got FREE tickets to one game from someone I did not know. I believe I read in the Statesman prior to game that the staff was afraid students were not gonna show up. They did show but left pretty quick. They were NOT going to Parties. They were not in that kinda mood. You keep coloring it orange Herr.

Jacie
8/23/2011, 07:09 PM
Burnt orange got some good news today when senior safety, Christian Scott, was reinstated after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault. He will practice with the scout team and sit for three games (means he'll have one game to prep before the RRS).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-texas-scottarrested

jumperstop
8/23/2011, 07:18 PM
They'll be 3-1 if they're lucky before the OU game.

bluedogok
8/23/2011, 07:23 PM
I was at two games in Austin last year. Herr is full of it. That place was an absolute morgue. I got FREE tickets to one game from someone I did not know. I believe I read in the Statesman prior to game that the staff was afraid students were not gonna show up. They did show but left pretty quick. They were NOT going to Parties. They were not in that kinda mood. You keep coloring it orange Herr.
I had quite a few offers of free tickets for games in the last half of the year there, all of them knew I was an OU alum and most knew my wife was a Tech alum. They thought that I might know someone who would use them, most of the time the people that I knew would use them already had tickets or gave their season ticket for a particular game away already. We are going to try and go to the Tech-UT game here this year since by next season we hope to be living in Denver. Neither one of us have been to a game at DKR, it's always interesting to go to other stadiums and since OU never play here I figure that is the next best opportunity.

jumperstop
8/23/2011, 07:39 PM
I had quite a few offers of free tickets for games in the last half of the year there, all of them knew I was an OU alum and most knew my wife was a Tech alum. They thought that I might know someone who would use them, most of the time the people that I knew would use them already had tickets or gave their season ticket for a particular game away already. We are going to try and go to the Tech-UT game here this year since by next season we hope to be living in Denver. Neither one of us have been to a game at DKR, it's always interesting to go to other stadiums and since OU never play here I figure that is the next best opportunity.

My gf is an OSU alum. If we have enough money we were thinking about going to that game. I think it would be fun since I'll have no other reason to go to DKR and I would like to see how they do things down there.

bluedogok
8/23/2011, 07:44 PM
My gf is an OSU alum. If we have enough money we were thinking about going to that game. I think it would be fun since I'll have no other reason to go to DKR and I would like to see how they do things down there.
If their season is not going so well, PM a few weeks before the game. I might have access to some tickets by then.