PDA

View Full Version : this sounds encouraging regarding defense

cantwait48
8/22/2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110822_92_B1_CUTLIN347908

NORMAN - It was early morning on Aug. 4 and the Oklahoma Sooners were stretching before their first practice of preseason camp.

Coach Bob Stoops happened by Tom Wort and told the starting middle linebacker: "You're light years ahead of a year ago. I can tell the difference just watching tape."

The Sooners started practicing. Coaches started watching Wort up close and personally, not just in film study.

The real thing was even better.

"Leadership. Toughness. His tackling. His position on the ball," linebackers coach/defensive coordinator Brent Venables rattled off the other day. "He understands where the guys are. He's not out of position over-running the ball. He's made a ton of plays every day.

"It's been very, very pleasing."

It was pleasing the first couple days of camp, when Wort settled back into the position he held the first nine games of 2010, the spot he lost to an older, more reliable Austin Box.

Then weakside linebacker Travis Lewis broke his toe, and Wort's progress became more reassuring than anything.

Lewis, the security blanket for OU's defense, was suddenly lost until October and Wort no longer had his sidekick with two years more experience and 296 more tackles on his resume. How was this going to work out?

The Sooners got a clue during their first preseason scrimmage Aug. 13.

"Tom had an excellent scrimmage," reported Corey Nelson, Lewis' stand-in on the weak side. "I felt very comfortable playing next to him."

"I felt confident," Wort said. "It was kind of the first time I was out there by myself without Travis, having to make the calls and everything. I knew my assignments. I handled the defense well. And I made the plays I was supposed to make."

This is the middle linebacker the Sooners must have if they are to survive the Lewis-less game at Florida State Sept. 17, and make an expected run at their first national championship since 2000. It is not the middle linebacker they always got in 2010.

Wort did well, all things considered, while Box recovered from his back injury. He was good enough to make a few freshman All-American teams.

He just wasn't fully versed. He lost his 2009 season to a torn ACL in August, and basically played '10 as a true freshman.

A year later, Wort isn't just smarter. He's healthier.

"I feel like I've got my wheels back," he said. "I'm moving better than I did my freshman year when I first showed up. It's incredible, the confidence you have. You can shoot that gap and know you're going to run down the ball carrier. It changes the whole game for you. You're not being hesitant because you don't know if you're going to make it. You just go."

Wort is making more plays because his knee is firmer and his reads are sounder. See, he's been reviewing his tape, too.

"As soon as the season was done, I started putting in a lot of time in the film room up here by myself," Wort said. "That's when I decided I needed to get this down. I needed to know why everything was happening. It carried into the spring, and I went through the spring knowing a lot more responsibility. And then in the summer I cranked it up a little more.

"I knew what I was doing last season, but it made more sense to me now. Understanding what people were doing around me allowed me to understand what I was doing."

Wort saw the big picture for the first time. He saw how he reacted to it. He wised up, basically, and bulked up, adding 15 pounds to pack a heavier punch.

It has added up, the Sooners have seen.

"It's night and day," Lewis said early in camp. "Tom has been great. He has really grown up a lot. He's rarely making busts. He has a great understanding of the defense. If they asked me if there was one player besides you who was really playing well right now, it'd be Tom Wort."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110822_92_B1_CUTLIN347908

budbarrybob
8/22/2011, 06:03 PM
Makes me happy!

Peach Fuzz
8/22/2011, 06:07 PM
so he put his arms back on and stopped putting a slip-n-slide down on the field? sweet :p

CBUS_SOONER
8/22/2011, 06:09 PM
It sure would be nice if the D is dominant

rainiersooner
8/22/2011, 06:26 PM
If they asked me if there was one player besides you who was really playing well right now, it'd be Tom Wort.

Does T Lew mean one player next to him or one player other than him? :)

cleller
8/22/2011, 06:32 PM
I cannot help but worry about the D some. Even Bob played down the #1 ranking with "too bad, guess they haven't heard about us losing two starting linebackers." The Ronnell situation sounds a little more positive, but if he's not available also, I'll feel even worse.
If we can get past Florida State in good form, then I'll go sun-pumper.

I saw a video of Wort, saying he is now the guy that calls the defenses on the field. Think he's ready?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 07:39 PM
Even right now in the current state, the defense is in a lot better shape than it was than last year (sans the final games of the season) due to the defensive tackles. The severely limping Adrian Taylor those first 7 games was a huge detriment. And the overall DT play had a huge impact on everything else as is the nature of things and it wasn't good at that time, but was much better to close the season when it was working with two healthy defensive tackles along with a little more experienced gained out of McGhee and McFarland. Florida St. has bigger issues than Oklahoma on both sides of the ball.

MountainOkie
8/22/2011, 08:10 PM
Great racehorses start out undisciplined, chomping at the bit to leg it out. They have great heart and desire but they wind up using up all their stamina and finish last.

Once they start taking direction and responding to the jockey they can save it up for when they really need it. That's when they start winning big.

Now, I know that Wort is not a racehorse and I don't wish to impugn (sp?) his intelligence (you have to be pretty darn smart to play LB at OU), but from his high school tapes alone you can tell that he has the heart of a winner. He loves the game. Loves it enough to sacrifice his body for it. Loves it enough to win at any cost. Loves it like that racehorse loves to run.

Now you add that natural heart he has to the knowledge and training he's put himself through over the past year...Whistles boy's gonna start winning BIG.

Okie35
8/22/2011, 08:24 PM
It sure would be nice if the D is dominant

I'm with you but spreads are really hard to defend. For the most part our defense does pretty well w/ them.

Peach Fuzz
8/22/2011, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry, but haven't we had trouble against the spread of a good offense?

LVSOONER15
8/22/2011, 09:26 PM
Great write up, I actually think our DB's will the strength of the defense.

VA Sooner
8/22/2011, 09:44 PM
Nice write-up. I hope this translates to success on the field. I wish we had another fluff game in between Tulsa and FSU though... need more time, more game-time experience.

Mike Stoops
8/22/2011, 11:03 PM
I'm sorry, but haven't we had trouble against the spread of a good offense?

It usually depends on where the game is played. In 08 we suffocated a sensational Tech offense with a mediocre defense in Norman. The following year our great defense gets blown out in Lubbock by a pretty average (by Mike Leach standards) Tech offense. If Venables was half as good on the road as he was at home he would have been a head coach long ago.