PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Repair

jumperstop
8/22/2011, 04:00 PM
Just bought a new house in Moore and the inspector said that we need to reinforce our garage wall. He said he was not an engineer but had enough knowledge to tell me that we would probably need a couple of piers (nothing major) to sustain the wall and to stop any further damage. My question was does anyone know of a cheap but good company to do this? I don't want to spend a **** ton of money on the repair but I want to make sure it gets done right, and also that they don't try to sell me more than I actually need. My inspector said that it'll cost anywhere between $400-$700 a pier. Sound about right? I don't want to have to call 15 different appraisals out to find the best deal either. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Breadburner
8/22/2011, 04:49 PM
Have a licensed structural engineer take a look at it....Your inspector should not have made a recomendation....

JohnnyMack
8/22/2011, 05:25 PM
Mongo and I will fix it for $40 and two handjobs.

goingoneight
8/22/2011, 08:45 PM
My inspector told me I needed all kinds of jacks and piers. The guys at I think it's called Powerlift (it's been a couple years) said it didn't *need* anything, but that a few piers would help sticking doors in the summertime. They basically told me you NEED piering done when you have giant gaps in corners or roof leaks from separating unions.

CrimsonKel
8/22/2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about this too. My house is ten years old and the foundation has settled a bit and there are some small cracks in places. If anyone has anything to share about their experiences with foundation repair companies in the OKC Metro area I'd appreciate hearing about them.

I'm not sure whether or not this is related but neither the front door nor the back door sit square in their frames anymore. I've been thinking about either replacing both doors or having a carpenter come out and fix the doors. I've tried the small fixes like replacing the screws on the upper hinge and that helped a little but I think more extensive adjustments need to be done. I've replaced the weather stripping and the door sweeps but there are still gaps. I have been told that you can remove the trim and adjust the frames by hitting them real hard with a hammer or something like that. That's not something I want to do on my own without being more experienced.

jumperstop
8/22/2011, 10:22 PM
I don't have any sticking doors, but the frame of garage is kinda separating from the brick. The only reason he said it was a major concern was the gas meter is on that wall. And I know there are issues cause right next door on that side my neighbor had to have five put in. I didn't really figure I needed to pay for an engineers opinion when the companies give free appraisals and they have to know what their doing.

Sooner_Tuf
8/23/2011, 02:57 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about this too. My house is ten years old and the foundation has settled a bit and there are some small cracks in places. If anyone has anything to share about their experiences with foundation repair companies in the OKC Metro area I'd appreciate hearing about them.

I'm not sure whether or not this is related but neither the front door nor the back door sit square in their frames anymore. I've been thinking about either replacing both doors or having a carpenter come out and fix the doors. I've tried the small fixes like replacing the screws on the upper hinge and that helped a little but I think more extensive adjustments need to be done. I've replaced the weather stripping and the door sweeps but there are still gaps. I have been told that you can remove the trim and adjust the frames by hitting them real hard with a hammer or something like that. That's not something I want to do on my own without being more experienced.

I don't have any experience with anyone in your neck of the woods. But if the house is done settling all you need to do is reinstall the doors if the casings aren't warped. You don't need a lot of experience but knowing what is in there would help. Basically remove all the trim and fasteners you can. Take a sawzall and cut the remaining fasteners. Then shim the door back square, reinstall the trim, and paint anything that needs it.