PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see SI's top ten coaches?

Okie35
8/22/2011, 01:59 PM
Here's where they ranked them. There were write ups for all of them but I just did Stoops since its from the magazine.

1. Gary Patterson - TCU
2. Nick Saban - Alabama
3. Chris Peterson - Boise State
4. Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
Yea Big Game Bob is only 3-5 in BCS bowl games and yes its been more than 10 years since Oklahoma's last national title. Still no other program has been this good for this long; In the Stoops era the Sooners have won 11 games in 9 of the coach's 12 season and seven Big XII titles.
5. Gene Chizik
6. Mack Brown
7. Chip Kelly
8. Les Miles
9. Jimbo Fisher
10. Brian Kelly

SI Fans Vote: 1. Joe Paterno 26.6% 2. Nick Saban 24.9% 3. Bob Stoops 10.8%

fwsooner22
8/22/2011, 02:05 PM
Gary Patterson; the new flavor of the week. He has never won anything except a Rose Bowl game against the lowly Big 10 representative. Big deal. They are fleeing a better conference than the one they are going to. I agree he is a good coach, but the best ? No, absolutely not. Probably not in the top 25.

Okie35
8/22/2011, 02:07 PM
Best no, top 25 yes (even top 10). He gets leftovers and still makes due.

OU_Sooners75
8/22/2011, 02:07 PM
That is one of the stupidest lists I have seen!

1. Patterson is good, but not #1 good, I would put him in top 5 for sure though!
2. Chris Peterson @ #3? LOL! That is all I can say or do!
3. Gene Chizik? Really? He sucked at Iowa State, he goes to Auburn where they pay for players and he is in the top 10? LOL
4. Jimbo Fisher? Why because he won more than 8 games last year at FSU?

Okie35
8/22/2011, 02:10 PM
I agree. I laughed at Fisher and Chizik even being on the list.

LVSOONER15
8/22/2011, 02:15 PM
I don't believe chizik should be up there as well.

Keller Sooner
8/22/2011, 02:17 PM
Look, I'm an expert on coaching. I know all there is to know about coaches. Gary Patterson falls in the 8 to 10 range. Bob Stoops is top 3. Moving on now.:disturbed:

fwsooner22
8/22/2011, 02:51 PM
I have season Tickets to OU and TCU. I have seen dozens of games in the Patterson era. Many times I have left an OU game and headed to FW to see the TCU game. It's like going to the JV game. Yes, they have beaten us in the past but they have one or two game seasons. That's a whole bunch easier to play and win a big game. Patterson is OK but he is asked to do so little in the conference they play in it's a great job for him. Get online and listen to his interviews and tell me that guy could handle a "major" job. There is NO way. Lets see how he does playing BYU and Boise in the same season. By the way that still isnt that tough.

Okie35
8/22/2011, 02:54 PM
I think he could. He'd actually have more talent to work w/. That's why it looked JV because of the conference and his players.

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/22/2011, 02:58 PM
all i have to say is: Why the hell isn't smellsofbourbon on this list? an fer cryin' out loud, where's Blake?......

;)

badger
8/22/2011, 02:59 PM
If Stoops were to ever leave Norman, heaven forbid, I think Gary Patterson would do a very good job here. He seems to have the respect of many Big 12 coaches not just for what he's done at TCU but how he's conducted himself. I don't mind seeing him above Stoops in the poll. Same with Nick Satan. Stoops respects him, so do many of his colleagues.

As for that worthless POS "I'm gonna not suspend my d00shebag punch provoker because I can't risk losing any games at poor ol' boise" Petersen, that buck toothed "coach" can kiss all our BCS-conference arses from the Humanitarian Bowl sideline. Let's play one tough game per year before the bowl! Let's smurf our turf! Let's Nikeize everything! LET'S LOSE TO NEVADA.

(and before any BS'ers claim sour grapes, TCU has beaten us on our home turf and I already spoke highly of their coach despite that)

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2011, 03:39 PM
Patterson and Peterson are understandable - they have been consistent over multiple years regardless of the competition (and they have beaten some good teams along the way). Stoops and Saban have to spring to anyones mind at the top in some order. Miles has to be up there. Chizik should not be near other coaches with long term success. Urban and Petey *would* have taken high spots if not *the* highest if they were still there.

Peach Fuzz
8/22/2011, 04:08 PM
Peterson is a great coach. Sure, he doesn't have much competition, but he can coach his young men very well. I got to watch a practice in Boise back in 08 and and thought he had great relations with his guys and got the newcomers up to d-1 speed very well. Chip, Les, and Brian I really don't understand except for who they represent??

fwsooner22
8/22/2011, 04:56 PM
Whose Bowl record is this ?

2005 - Beat Iowa State - ETV Bowl
2006 - Beat Northern Illinois - Poinsetta Bowl
2007 - Beat Houston - Texas Bowl
2008 - Beat Boise - Poinsetta Bowl
2009 - Lost Boise - Fiesta

cleller
8/22/2011, 06:39 PM
What pisses me off is that after the Debacle in the Desert wherever Bob's name lands, Chris Peterson will be right above him. Its like something from a Rocky movie, there will have to be a rematch and win to shake those blue tube boinkers off our shoes.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 06:46 PM
What pisses me off is that after the Debacle in the Desert wherever Bob's name lands, Chris Peterson will be right above him. Its like something from a Rocky movie, there will have to be a rematch and win to shake those blue tube boinkers off our shoes.
The Boise OC in that game Harsin is now in Austin. Just sayin.

silverwheels
8/22/2011, 06:52 PM

And he might have had better talent to work with in Boise.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 06:55 PM
Possibly.

BigTip
8/22/2011, 07:04 PM
Mack Brown? Seriously? Is this a coach's ranking, or who is the best recruiter ranking?

He's no coach. How many times have I seen this headline; " * lands best recruiting class in the country" ? I'll tell you, lots. Then what does he do with all that talent? Not as much as just about any other coach could have done with the same talent, that's what.

Actually he probably isn't even much of a recruiter. He mostly just picks and tells all the Texas schoolboys if they'll be coming to play for him or not.

cleller
8/22/2011, 07:05 PM

OOO-WHEEE! There is nothing left to say.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 07:06 PM
Mack Brown? Seriously? Is this a coach's ranking, or who is the best recruiter ranking?

Yeah, it's not like he's played in 2 of the past 6 national title games and has won as many as Stoops. Oh wait...

badger
8/22/2011, 07:09 PM
Mack is a nice guy that was in retirement mode before last season, then full-on migraine mode after UCLA onward and downward.

However, coaching is supposed to make up for lack of talent, so we'll see how UT does this year. You all are certainly paying him to turn chicken sh!t into chicken salad, so no excuses this year. Mack needs to not only win, but win big time as befitting his contract and control over that cash cow program.

BigTip
8/22/2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, it's not like he's played in 2 of the past 6 national title games and has won as many as Stoops. Oh wait...

Every now and then he stays out of the way and lets his talented players win it for him.
Texas 2005 Playbook:
1 Give ball to Vince
2 Give ball to Vince
3 Pitch right
4 Give ball to Vince
5 Give ball to Vince

Salt City Sooner
8/22/2011, 07:17 PM
Boise's offense got 21 points in the first 4 quarters of that game against an OU team that I'm not too proud to admit was lucky as heck to be there in the first place (yes, national media, the horns have actually pulled a gargantuan choke job or 2 as well). Harsin may well be the shiznit, but if we're going by that one game, color me not too skeered as of just yet.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 07:17 PM

5-7 and 2 conference titles that both occurred in 2 of the weakest overall roster of Big 12 teams in Big 12 history. You have a dumb user name BTW, kraut.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 07:20 PM
Harsin is about as responsible for Boise St.'s success on offense as Hawkins was over the whole team when he was the head coach. Eventually people are going to grasp the concept that it is all about Chris Peterson. Whorn fans will be begging for Greg Davis somewhere around the UCLA or BYU games.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/22/2011, 07:21 PM

It's a shame he wasn't calling the plays.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 07:26 PM
...turn chicken sh!t into chicken salad...
I love that quote.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 07:27 PM
Every now and then he stays out of the way and lets his talented players win it for him.
Texas 2005 Playbook:
1 Give ball to Vince
2 Give ball to Vince
3 Pitch right
4 Give ball to Vince
5 Give ball to Vince
And 2009? Colt and Shipley did OK.

silverwheels
8/22/2011, 07:37 PM

I heard somewhere that they were roommates.

BigTip
8/22/2011, 07:41 PM

If Colt and his boyfriend were working driving UPS trucks right now, I would say, "Wow, Mack is a real coach". But they are both TALENTED enough to be playing in the big boy football league instead. Another example of talent overcoming coaching.

SoonerofAlabama
8/22/2011, 08:59 PM
Ones I have a problem with:

1. Gary Patterson - TCU
2. Nick Saban - Alabama
3. Chris Peterson - Boise State
4. Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
5. Gene Chizik
6. Mack Brown
7. Chip Kelly
8. Les Miles
9. Jimbo Fisher
10. Brian Kelly

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:02 PM
If Colt and his boyfriend were working driving UPS trucks right now, I would say, "Wow, Mack is a real coach". But they are both TALENTED enough to be playing in the big boy football league instead. Another example of talent overcoming coaching.
So what's the spin about Mack being tied with Bob in national titles? I mean since Bob is so great and Mack is so terrible? I guess Bob turns complete spares into good players in order to lose in the national title game?

BigTip
8/22/2011, 09:28 PM
So what's the spin about Mack being tied with Bob in national titles? I mean since Bob is so great and Mack is so terrible? I guess Bob turns complete spares into good players in order to lose in the national title game?

Hey! Ya got it! Great coaches take ANY players to championships. It takes a little luck to get there each year, then it takes a little more luck to win them. Sure OU has good recruiting classes, but I don't recall ever seeing "best in the country" declarations from any newspapers.
It's cool that we came to this mutual agreement.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2011, 09:37 PM
Hey! Ya got it! Great coaches take ANY players to championships. It takes a little luck to get there each year, then it takes a little more luck to win them. Sure OU has good recruiting classes, but I don't recall ever seeing "best in the country" declarations from any newspapers.
It's cool that we came to this mutual agreement.
Recruiting is even for the two schools over the past decade. In fact, OU had higher ranked recruiting classes on average before the last couple caught UT up. It's true. You guys really believe this turning spares into great players schtick though. Ask Micco Macey. He did a detailed analysis. Or just look it up on rivals.com.

And the fact remains that Mack and Bob have a single title apiece. You guys can't seem to wrap your heads around that.

BigTip
8/22/2011, 10:21 PM
And the fact remains that Mack and Bob have a single title apiece. You guys can't seem to wrap your heads around that.

I can wrap my head around 7 titles to Mack's measly 2, or does the Big 12 count for nothing? You must be proud of your .500 win percentage in NC games. Maybe that one loss will help you understand what I mean about getting lucky. One less hurt shoulder and Texas has another title. See how that works?
OU has had two more chances than Texas to "get lucky". I'll take having chances to win it all, over sitting at home watching, any year.

silverwheels
8/22/2011, 10:31 PM
Mack only has 2 conference titles: 2005 and 2009.

OU_Sooners75
8/22/2011, 10:34 PM
Recruiting is even for the two schools over the past decade. In fact, OU had higher ranked recruiting classes on average before the last couple caught UT up. It's true. You guys really believe this turning spares into great players schtick though. Ask Micco Macey. He did a detailed analysis. Or just look it up on rivals.com.

Let's see here...
Bob Stoops 7 big 12 titles; Mack Brown, 2.
Bob Stoops 7 wins vs Mack; Mack 5 wins vs Bob
Bob Stoops 8 big 12 title games; Mack 4.
Bob Stoops 4 national title appearances; Mack 2

The only thing, and I repeat ONLY THING, Mack is even with Stoops is they are both tied with 1 NC each.

That said the only thing Brown can do for Stoops is wash his jock strap!

Stoops>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brown
And it isn't even close!

Herr Scholz
8/23/2011, 12:18 AM
The only thing, and I repeat ONLY THING, Mack is even with Stoops is they are both tied with 1 NC each.

I thought that's what you guys were all about? Yes, it's the ONLY thing. Tied.

Curly Bill
8/23/2011, 01:27 AM
I got no problem with the top 4 being where they are, after that it's a pretty sketchy list.

OU_Sooners75
8/23/2011, 01:41 AM
I thought that's what you guys were all about? Yes, it's the ONLY thing. Tied.

I know you are dense and stupid...but when comparing coaches that is only part of it. And when two ofthe coaches coache against each other every year the head to head is a better indicator!

As a texass fan you should know how hard it is to win a national championship... You all only win them once every 30 years or so!