PDA

View Full Version : Is Demarco still hurt?

picasso
8/21/2011, 09:58 PM
I missed him tonight and I'm way too lazy to find out for myself.

Curly Bill
8/21/2011, 10:00 PM
Yes, it was mentioned early in the game tonight that he'd hardly done anything this preseason.

VA Sooner
8/21/2011, 10:30 PM
Damn. We're drafting for fantasy football and needed some RBs for later in the season.

goingoneight
8/21/2011, 10:36 PM
I wonder if it's one of those preseason injuries where they're just gonna let him slide til the actual season.

Curly Bill
8/21/2011, 10:59 PM
I don't know. I think that's less likely with a rookie, especially with how little work they did this offseason due to the lockout. It's fortunate they drafted him somewhat high, or I'd be worried about his job security.

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2011, 11:10 PM
Agreed - 3rd round pick should be pretty safe assuming this is just a small setback. The late round picks and FA guys will get hit hard by the lockout. They don't get much time to prove themselves anyway and that has been reduced; if they get dinged up, they'll be gone.

Curly Bill
8/21/2011, 11:14 PM
Yup

mushu405
8/22/2011, 12:23 AM
I believe in him! He will do fine in silver and blue!

madillsoonerfan5353
8/22/2011, 07:25 AM
I think it might be his hammy, not 100% sure. I hope he gets on the field soon. That's the only reason I wasted about 2 hours of my life last night watching the cowgirls.

badger
8/22/2011, 07:37 AM
I also agree that his roster spot is safe because he was a fairly high draft pick. Just cutting him loose like an undrafted rookie or overpaid veteran will mean some other team would rush at the chance to pick him up. But no, didn't see him play last night so I assume he's still injured.

However, did get to see "Free Mike!" Balogun and Manny Johnson in the second half. Manuel had a great catch and Balogun looked all right out there. First roster cuts are Aug. 31 (down to 75). It's the one after that where every gets cut loose it seems :(

soonerlaw
8/22/2011, 08:04 AM
The word is that he will be back in about a week. Hopefully he will be 100% when the season starts.

ouleaf
8/22/2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah if you spend a 3rd round pick on a guy, that is definitely a guy you have high expectations for and hope they can come in and help your team immediately. I'd say Demarco is pretty much safe no matter what, but when he does come back he'd better get after it because the Cowboys are getting pretty good production at the RB position without him. Felix has had a very solid showing as the starting RB in the first 2 games in limited action, but the biggest story among RBs has been has been another rookie RB, Phillip Tanner. He's also shined in the first two pre-season game as well.

I'm worried that this means Tashard's days might be numbered since he too has missed essentially all of camp and he does not play on special teams either. He is definitely a great locker room guy. Would be sad to see him go, but he is in a contract year and if he feels that he is not going to get a chance in Dallas, he'll either ask to be released or traded so that he can catch on with a team where he can get some playing time.

badger
8/22/2011, 09:01 AM
I'd say that Tashard would have a home in Green Bay, but holy shizzle, we have seemingly brought in every free agent no-name undrafted rookie can't-catch-on-anywhere veteran running back in the league, and I'm seeing all of them this preseason. It's like GB realized how depleted they were at RB late last season and are doing everything they can to find the hidden gems that they always seem to at RB... the Ahman Greenes (fumbled due to sweating till he arrived in GB), the Ryan Grants (quickly became a star at GB... till injuries, doh!), etc.

tcrb
8/22/2011, 10:41 AM
I think it might be his hammy, not 100% sure. I hope he gets on the field soon. That's the only reason I wasted about 2 hours of my life last night watching the cowgirls.

^This is correct. Link (http://www.sportsoverdose.com/topic/demarco-murray-injury-update.html)

He's questionable for the game on the 27th against the Vikes.

ouleaf
8/22/2011, 11:15 AM
No sense in rushing back from a hamstring injury...just keep rehabbing and working with the trainers to focus on targeting for a return in the final pre-season game.

badger
8/22/2011, 11:40 AM
^This is correct. Link (http://www.sportsoverdose.com/topic/demarco-murray-injury-update.html)

He's questionable for the game on the 27th against the Vikes.

I tuned in for "Free Mike" and Manny, after hearing DMc wasn't playing. There was also the oft chance of catching Kenney for the Chargers. NP said he was in on special teams. I missed it :mad:

badger
8/22/2011, 11:42 AM
Also, to correct something I said earlier, seems the NFL cutdown days have been slightly modded. 80 by 4 p.m. Aug. 30. 53 by Sept. 3. Definitely good news for some of our free agent/undrafted Sooners out there.

Lott's Bandana
8/22/2011, 03:30 PM
DM7 starts practicing again tomorrow, according to DM7.

ouleaf
8/23/2011, 09:39 AM
DM7 starts practicing again tomorrow, according to DM7.

Yep...most sports sources in the Metroplex reporting that both he and Tashard are cleared to resume practicing today. I still say you hold both out until the final pre-season game.

Scott D
8/23/2011, 04:07 PM
Yep...most sports sources in the Metroplex reporting that both he and Tashard are cleared to resume practicing today. I still say you hold both out until the final pre-season game.

*shrug* he tweeted yesterday about being real excited about being able to practice today.

Sooner in Tampa
8/24/2011, 08:10 AM
SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing)
Cowpies1: RB DeMarco Murray (hammy) practices for first time, impresses
:encouragement:

mushu405
8/24/2011, 08:23 AM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4682513/demarco-murray-makes-his-debut)

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Third-round pick, running back DeMarco Murray made his practice debut for the Cowboys on Tuesday. Murray has missed the start of training camp, and the last two preseason games, due to a hamstring injury.

PODCAST
DeMarco Murray is heading back to practice, does this mean the end of Tashard Choice? Ben and Skin weigh in.

Listen Listen
"It has been a long wait since the last time I played or practiced which was January," said Murray, who played college football at Oklahoma. "I'm just excited to be here. I know what to do and I know where to go and things like that, I just need to get the reps in and I'll be fine."

Before his injury, Murray was slotted as competition for No. 2 back Tashard Choice. However, both players missed a bulk of time during training camp with injuries. Choice was hurt the first week of camp with a calf injury. Choice, meanwhile, returned to practice on Tuesday along with Murray.

Coach Jason Garrett said he wants to give Murray and Choice as many reps possible.

With Murray and Choice out with injuries, it's enabled Lonyae Miller and Phillip Tanner to get more snaps in practices and games. Miller has struggled in the games, while Tanner has excelled. Tanner might be slightly ahead of Miller on special teams, but with their offensive reps getting limited with Murray and Choice returning, whoever plays well on special teams could make the roster.

Murray, however, will be on the 53-man roster if he doesn't have any setbacks in his health.

Durability was a question for Murray coming out of Oklahoma and after he was drafted, said NFL teams didn't ask about his health. Yet, as he starts to practice, it's nearly a month after training camp started.

"It's definitely been hard, a struggle," Murray said. "But my teammates picked me up and let me know it will be OK. It just let me realize this is a marathon not a sprint so just take care of yourself and get back there 100 percent healthy."

Murray said he's got the playbook down, yet has to transfer that to the field.

"We'll find out quickly where he is physically and mentally," Garrett said. "He's a smart guy."

SoonerInFortSmith
8/24/2011, 03:25 PM
The Dallas Cowboys website had Murray at 2nd on the running back depth chart today FWIW.

Lott's Bandana
8/25/2011, 10:07 PM
DM7 tweeted that he is playing in the game this weekend.

He is also considering changing his number from 29 to 25.