PDA

View Full Version : Looks...uhmm, different...

Turd_Ferguson
8/21/2011, 11:57 AM
Just say'n...

Phil
8/21/2011, 11:58 AM
What, you expected it to look the same?

Phil
8/21/2011, 12:03 PM
Good different or bad different? I'm taking a poll. Sort of.

delhalew
8/21/2011, 12:06 PM
That will take some adjusting to...but updates are good.

BudSooner
8/21/2011, 12:08 PM
There is a Kohls ad right over the top of Turds first post, I don't know if it's a setting that needs to be changed or what?

Is anyone else seeing this?

AlboSooner
8/21/2011, 12:09 PM
Hopefully we can get used to this new format. Thanks to admins for the hard work. It does look a tad like landthieves. What are some of the benefits of this new format? Any support for mobile platforms?'

I see no ads, btw.

where's john kerry and W? bring them back please.

Phil
I think it's just that particular ad. It did that to me earlier and then wasn't a problem when it reloaded. Weird.

delhalew
Good different or bad different? I'm taking a poll. Sort of.

My initial reaction is shock and awe. I hate it, but I'm sure I will adjust.

The layout seems strange, and some things have moved. I wonder what it's like my droid?

BudSooner
8/21/2011, 12:10 PM
Also can anyone else see my avatar? I see a broken link icon.

Cool, we can insert videos?? Orsome job Phil!

SanJoaquinSooner
8/21/2011, 12:11 PM
Looks good, Phil.:apple:

BudSooner
8/21/2011, 12:12 PM
Heh, there is a "Quit cable ad for Windstream" and a Cox Cable ad below it. :D

Phil
Hopefully we can get used to this new format. Thanks to admins for the hard work. It does look a tad like landthieves. What are some of the benefits of this new format? Any support for mobile platforms?'

I see no ads, btw.

Have they switched to vBulletin at LT? I haven't looked at that site in a while.

And, yes, there is support for mobile platforms. In fact, we've got iPhone and Android apps in the works that are designed to work directly with the back end API of the site software to give a great mobile experience. I hope to have those available by the time the season starts, but we'll see.

delhalew
Also can anyone else see my avatar? I see a broken link icon.

Cool, we can insert videos?? Orsome job Phil!

I'm not seeing your avatar.

BudSooner
8/21/2011, 12:13 PM
The smileys are different.

Durr, I didn't have a avatar selected. I'm retarded. ;)

soonerbub
8/21/2011, 12:27 PM
Looking from the iPhone the posts only cover one half of the screen. The large box of "Sooner Video Highlights" covers the right half. Is that just the way it is or is more "tweaking" required?

Waiting on the app patiently...

Phil
8/21/2011, 12:30 PM
Looking from the iPhone the posts only cover one half of the screen. The large box of "Sooner Video Highlights" covers the right half. Is that just the way it is or is more "tweaking" required?

It's just because of the small screen. The skin on the forum adjusts to the screen it's being viewed on. You won't have that problem with the app, as that will work directly with the back end API and bypass the web interface completely in favor of access through the app interface.

bluedogok
8/21/2011, 12:31 PM
There are some other sites that I am on that have switched to the new vBull software and at first it was very different. Some things I liked about it and other things I don't, just the nature of changing software.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Scott D
8/21/2011, 12:32 PM

I'm seeing that on my pc as well.

Phil
8/21/2011, 12:34 PM
I'm seeing that on my pc as well.

That's screen resolution. The video box is 330 pixels wide. On my screen, it's about 1/4 or so. I could put the horizontal one on the top, I suppose, but that's a huge box to go up there.

Scott D
8/21/2011, 12:36 PM
The video thing is about 1/4 across so no biggy, but I keep getting a white box over the main text area in thread starting posts.

soonerbub
8/21/2011, 12:36 PM
It's just because of the small screen. The skin on the forum adjusts to the screen it's being viewed on. You won't have that problem with the app, as that will work directly with the back end API and bypass the web interface completely in favor of access through the app interface.

Roger that. Over & out. What's our vector Victor? ;) :texan:

sooner59
8/21/2011, 12:37 PM
I opened the "Politics" thread sticky in the SO and Phil's post was covered by an ad.

Phil
8/21/2011, 12:38 PM
I opened the "Politics" thread sticky in the SO and Phil's post was covered by an ad.

Was it a Kohl's ad?

sooner59
8/21/2011, 12:40 PM
Red Robin I believe. But I went back a few times and on the 4th attempt it was gone.

Scott D
8/21/2011, 12:43 PM
ya scratch the box thing it's gone.

Phil
8/21/2011, 12:43 PM
I changed that setting, so hopefully that won't happen anymore.

opksooner
8/21/2011, 12:47 PM
There is a Kohls ad right over the top of Turds first post, I don't know if it's a setting that needs to be changed or what?

Is anyone else seeing this?

I used CONTROL/-/+ to adjust this problem...errrr..uh...concern.

Peach Fuzz
8/21/2011, 01:05 PM
For me, the last post is only 3 letters wide and it jumps to the next line. e.g.
abc
def
ghi
jkl
mno etc.etc.
I also have half the page used up by the videos thingy and x's for stars. Maybe mine will change but upon reloading several times it hasn't yet. Also getting the ad covering the last persons reply so that's why it was making it 3 letters I believe. Just some input, thanks for the hard work brah

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2011, 01:23 PM
Have they switched to vBulletin at LT? I haven't looked at that site in a while.

And, yes, there is support for mobile platforms. In fact, we've got iPhone and Android apps in the works that are designed to work directly with the back end API of the site software to give a great mobile experience. I hope to have those available by the time the season starts, but we'll see.

I was going to mention this idea but never got around to it. I think that would be fantastic, because I use my tablet (galaxy tab) 90% of the time now. Some native Android support would be awesome.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2011, 01:27 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but spek now shows the latest spek received AND given which is pretty cool.

hawaii 5-0
8/21/2011, 01:30 PM
The New Look looks nice. Good job.

Trump is still looking for a deserving running mate.

5-0

Trump/ Neville

olevetonahill
8/21/2011, 01:31 PM
I know you replied already about the CP but Im not seeing it anywhere. Also after you.ve read the thread at the bottom of the page it only gives you the option to view the previous thread or the Next thread not to return to a forum.

A Sooner in Texas
8/21/2011, 01:37 PM
For those of you seeing ads, you can install AdBlocker. I did that the other day from a fine suggestion here and it works beautifully.

And Phil, the Houston Chronicle also updated its website this weekend and you did a MUCH better job.

achiro
8/21/2011, 01:40 PM
You should try to sqeeze more ads on each page.

Whet
8/21/2011, 01:59 PM
1/3 of the screen is taken up by the ad bar on the right. 1/4 of the screen is taken up by the name box. So, about 1/2 of the screen is for posting and trying to read the posts. It is even more pronounced on the iPad.

Spray
8/21/2011, 02:16 PM
Yep - on an iPad and its not a particularly enjoyable viewing experience.

stoopified
8/21/2011, 03:23 PM
Not a big fan(thus far) of the new look. Admittedly being legally blind tends to make me wary of change.I get used to the old layout and now I have to adjust.Oh well,such is life.

stoopified
8/21/2011, 03:46 PM
Why are my posts vertical?

soonerboomer93
8/21/2011, 03:47 PM

Tapatalk?

stoopified
8/21/2011, 03:47 PM
OK,I figured that out.....I think.

OUHOMER
8/21/2011, 03:50 PM
UMM change, i think it will take some time to get use too.

OUHOMER
8/21/2011, 03:52 PM
I know you replied already about the CP but Im not seeing it anywhere. Also after you.ve read the thread at the bottom of the page it only gives you the option to view the previous thread or the Next thread not to return to a forum.

Yep, i miss that already. I would jump from forum to forum.

booomer
8/21/2011, 04:22 PM
I like it, Phil. Thank you!

49r
8/21/2011, 04:25 PM
Looks pretty jacked up to me right now...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/379037949.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1313962717&Signature=P8b10hhbvEp284INqX0lrs%2BXsh0%3D

...might be a browser thing, but the old board looked just fine. Just sayin'.

soonerinabilene
8/21/2011, 04:30 PM
Frommy phone it looks just like that pic 49r put up.
C
A
N
T
F
I
N
D
O
U
T
H
O
W
T
O
F
I
X

sooner59
8/21/2011, 04:36 PM
Yep, on the phone, it's all jacked up.

BigTip
8/21/2011, 04:40 PM
I fear change.

But all this seems to be working just fine.

sooner59
8/21/2011, 04:47 PM
I fear change.

But all this seems to be working just fine.

What is funny is that in your post, there was an ad, which caused your words to appear vertically. That is what I have noticed. There are ads showing up INSIDE people's posts and everytime it causes their words to appear vertically. Furthermore, site is actually slower now on my end for whatever reason.

sooner59
8/21/2011, 05:25 PM
What is funny is that in your post, there was an ad, which caused your words to appear vertically. That is what I have noticed. There are ads showing up INSIDE people's posts and everytime it causes their words to appear vertically. Furthermore, site is actually slower now on my end for whatever reason.

Slower probably was because I was on my phone. Quicker on my computer. If anybody is using Safari on their computer, phone, iPad, etc. They are going to see it very condensed as the avatars, names, and everything on the left take up about 1/3, of the page. The highlight thing/ads on the right take up 1/3, so the posts are squeezed into 1/3, and ads inside posts cause the post to go vertical. Not sure why, but seems to be a Safari thing. On Firefox, everything seems fine except the ads inside posts. They don't cover the posts anymore, just take up room. Not sure if that was supposed to happen or not, just an observation. Overall, everything seems fine otherwise.

SicEmBaylor
8/21/2011, 05:30 PM
There are some kinks to work out, but I do prefer this board software. Baylorfans moved to this software a few months ago, and it was a huge improvement.

I don't much care for change, but I'll get used to it. It's sort of like the frequent Facebook redesigns -- people get used to it.

silverwheels
8/21/2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, some of these things are a pretty easy fix. vBulletin probably gives Phil the best bang for his buck, and overall it is pretty good board software.

It doesn't "look" like SoonerFans anymore, but I'll get used to it.

soonerinabilene
8/21/2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah from my computer its fine, but i do 99% of my time on the board from my phone. Definitely gonna need that mobile app by the time season starts.

Scott D
8/21/2011, 05:56 PM
Why are my posts vertical?

makes it easier to kick the football through it ;)

oumartin
8/21/2011, 06:31 PM
Not a fan of the layout so far but maybe it'll get better but I must say any change that put that new forum in it is an improvement.

Phil
8/21/2011, 06:46 PM
By the way, this new main red color we are using may look a little off to some people, but it is actually the exact RGB of Pantone 201, which is the officially designated Sooner Crimson color.

Phil
8/21/2011, 06:46 PM
And as you can see I have shuffled things about a bit to improve the layout. It's a work in progress, and your input is appreciated.

silverwheels
8/21/2011, 06:56 PM
Moving the video thing to the top made a huge difference. Looks pretty good now.

olevetonahill
8/21/2011, 07:09 PM
Since you did away with sponsors does that mean we have to go back to Clicking some Damn ads?:frog:

Curly Bill
8/21/2011, 08:34 PM
I can see improvement from earlier today. For one thing I'm now not getting the ads over people's posts. As far as the change of the layout and all that, I'll learn to adapt with it.

CrimsonJim
8/21/2011, 08:58 PM
I can see improvement from earlier today. For one thing I'm now not getting the ads over people's posts. As far as the change of the layout and all that, I'll learn to adapt with it.

You can DO it! :)

Curly Bill
8/21/2011, 09:06 PM
Oh I know, I'm one of those people that's not big on change once I get used to something. And the ads driving me crazy..., and the new layout. But yeah, I'll be fine. :O