PDA

View Full Version : GOVERNMENT WASTE OUT OF CONTROL!

mgsooner
8/18/2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20110702_16_A17_CUTLIN964062

Fallin trip to Ireland costs state taxpayers $13,260 for her security

by: BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Saturday, July 02, 2011
7/2/2011 10:41:34 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY - State taxpayers spent $13,260 to provide security for Gov. Mary Fallin's recent trip to Ireland to attend her daughter's wedding.

The figure covers an advance team and security detail from June 14-25, said Stephen Krise, general counsel for the Department of Public Safety.

The security and advance team costs included meals, lodging, airfare, ground transportation, tips and miscellaneous expenses.

The Department of Public Safety declined to provide itemized expenses, citing security concerns.

"What I don't want to do is break down each category," Krise said. "I think somebody could determine, based on the amount of airfare and lodging, how many people were on the security detail."

The advance team and security detail took commercial flights.

The Department of Public Safety is required by law to provide security, communication and transportation for the governor and his or her spouse and the lieutenant governor, said Capt. Chris West, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

Fallin paid her expenses for the trip to Ireland last month, where Christina Fallin wed Matt Bacon.

Oklahoma Democratic Party Chairman Wallace Collins said the $13,260 doesn't seem exorbitant, but pointed out that state agencies, including education and mental health, are being forced to cut important programs.

"The governor is going to Ireland and spending money we basically don't have," Collins said.

Alex Weintz, a spokesman for Fallin, said the money came out of the Department of Public Safety's budget, which has funding for a security detail.

"Christina and Matt got engaged before the governor was elected and their wedding plans were set before she was elected," Weintz said.

He said voters and taxpayers understand that the event was special for the governor, her daughter and family, adding that it is a one-time occurrence.

"When planning trips out of state, the governor and her office are committed to minimizing costs to taxpayers," Weintz said. "However, both the law and common sense dictate that heads of state have some form of security presence when traveling. That security presence will necessarily incur expenses, which the Department of Public Safety works to keep to a minimum."

sooner ngintunr
8/18/2011, 06:24 PM
Seems reasonable.

BU BEAR
8/18/2011, 06:28 PM
I dunno. If we could get rid of Rick Perry for $13,260; then I think we would do it.

OUHOMER
8/18/2011, 06:31 PM
I dunno. If we could get rid of Rick Perry for $13,260; then I think we would do it.

I am assuming you guys are paying for it now as he runs across the country now.

BU BEAR
8/18/2011, 06:46 PM
I am assuming you guys are paying for it now as he runs across the country now.

I think he and his campaign fund have to pick up the expenses. But, I am not absolutely certain.

I like Perry as the governor of Texas, a state in which the powers of the governor are very limited. I don't think I would like him as President though.

lexsooner
8/18/2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20110702_16_A17_CUTLIN964062

Fallin trip to Ireland costs state taxpayers $13,260 for her security

by: BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Saturday, July 02, 2011
7/2/2011 10:41:34 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY - State taxpayers spent $13,260 to provide security for Gov. Mary Fallin's recent trip to Ireland to attend her daughter's wedding.

The figure covers an advance team and security detail from June 14-25, said Stephen Krise, general counsel for the Department of Public Safety.

The security and advance team costs included meals, lodging, airfare, ground transportation, tips and miscellaneous expenses.

The Department of Public Safety declined to provide itemized expenses, citing security concerns.

"What I don't want to do is break down each category," Krise said. "I think somebody could determine, based on the amount of airfare and lodging, how many people were on the security detail."

The advance team and security detail took commercial flights.

The Department of Public Safety is required by law to provide security, communication and transportation for the governor and his or her spouse and the lieutenant governor, said Capt. Chris West, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

Fallin paid her expenses for the trip to Ireland last month, where Christina Fallin wed Matt Bacon.

Oklahoma Democratic Party Chairman Wallace Collins said the $13,260 doesn't seem exorbitant, but pointed out that state agencies, including education and mental health, are being forced to cut important programs.

"The governor is going to Ireland and spending money we basically don't have," Collins said.

Alex Weintz, a spokesman for Fallin, said the money came out of the Department of Public Safety's budget, which has funding for a security detail.

"Christina and Matt got engaged before the governor was elected and their wedding plans were set before she was elected," Weintz said.

He said voters and taxpayers understand that the event was special for the governor, her daughter and family, adding that it is a one-time occurrence.

"When planning trips out of state, the governor and her office are committed to minimizing costs to taxpayers," Weintz said. "However, both the law and common sense dictate that heads of state have some form of security presence when traveling. That security presence will necessarily incur expenses, which the Department of Public Safety works to keep to a minimum."

Why would an Oklahoma governor need security in Ireland? Nobody outside of Oklahoma knows who she is, let alone outside of the U.S.

MamaMia
8/18/2011, 07:14 PM
Governor Henry and his wife were at a lot of OU away games and attended several OU Booster and pre game events right along side my husband and I. He had zero security, but then he doesn't enjoy cuddling up with his body guards at night. :P

Viking Kitten
8/18/2011, 07:14 PM
I've never been a Fallin supporter, but I have a hard time getting worked up over this.

En_Fuego
8/18/2011, 07:41 PM
:gary:

C&CDean
8/18/2011, 08:27 PM
Let's see, $13Gs would cover the fuel charges for Obimbos jet taxiing out to take off for Spain, or parts unknown. Fallin needs to step it up if she's gonna keep up with the colored folk.

StoopTroup
8/18/2011, 08:34 PM
I think it would be worth every penny if she had gone to ireland for the wedding and to also get 10 or 20 US Corporations to return to the US or even Oklahoma.

It's comparable to say a Home and away trip for the Obimbos returning a trip to Spain from the Powers that be in Spain to repair our position as an Ally to Spain who pulled out of the War in Iraq.

GKeeper316
8/18/2011, 08:43 PM
i ****ing hate mattress mary, but she was legally elected, and therefore entitled to all the security her office entails.

this is not an issue.

REDREX
8/18/2011, 09:02 PM
Nancy Pelosi spent $100,000 to stock her Gov't provided plane with food and mostly booze in the first two years she had it----http://www.ihatethemedia.com/nancy-pelosi-jet-fueled-by-alcohol-and-lots-of-it

StoopTroup
8/18/2011, 09:13 PM
i ****ing hate mattress mary, but she was legally elected, and therefore entitled to all the security her office entails.

this is not an issue.

The thing is....Governors aren't really much of a high target in Ireland.

If you have ever been to Southern Ireland you know what I mean. Some of the most inviting folks I've ever met and they really understand how important the Tourist Industry is to their Country. They are great Hosts and I seriously doubt she was in any danger until she got back to her connecting flight in the US.

Now....if she was in Belfast...I withdraw my statement as I wouldn't mind having some security the next time I visit there again. :D

GKeeper316
8/18/2011, 09:17 PM
The thing is....Governors aren't really much of a high target in Ireland.

If you have ever been to Southern Ireland you know what I mean. Some of the most inviting folks I've ever met and they really understand how important the Tourist Industry is to their Country. They are great Hosts and I seriously doubt she was in any danger until she got back to her connecting flight in the US.

Now....if she was in Belfast...I withdraw my statement as I wouldn't mind having some security the next time I visit there again. :D

wow i think you completely miss the point of round the clock security.

StoopTroup
8/18/2011, 09:22 PM
wow i think you completely miss the point of round the clock security.

No...I just don't think Governors aren't a huge risk to National Security. Anyway....I guess the GOP Ideal that we are in a new crazy World and everyone is out to get us and one slip up and entire cities will be blown up or exposed to dirty bombs must continue.

She was probably at more risk standing there ringing the bell than anytime she was in Ireland.

GKeeper316
8/18/2011, 09:26 PM
No...I just don't think Governors aren't a huge risk to National Security. Anyway....I guess the GOP Ideal that we are in a new crazy World and everyone is out to get us and one slip up and entire cities will be blown up or exposed to dirty bombs must continue.

She was probably at more risk standing there ringing the bell than anytime she was in Ireland.

personal security looks at what's likely and what's possible. it's possible someone that hates mary fallin enough to want to do violence to her or her family would look at a trip to ireland as a perfect opportunity if she wasn't surrounded by a 24 hour security detail.

soonercruiser
8/18/2011, 10:32 PM
Why would an Oklahoma governor need security in Ireland? Nobody outside of Oklahoma knows who she is, let alone outside of the U.S.

You know how much violence there is in Ireland???? :eek:

Brad O'Henry's family are protestant; her family is Catholic! :D
(Just kidding: I have no idea if they are)

But, why wouldn't you allow her to attend her daughter's wedding?
"Security" is usually a OHP/DPS decision, I believe.