PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Tom (Coburn)

Ton Loc
8/18/2011, 04:56 PM
I like Tom Coburn, but he said a few things today at the townhall...

Mainly:

"You can't tell me the system is better now than it was before Medicare," he said.

Coburn agreed that some people received poor care - or no care - before Medicare was enacted in the 1960s, but said communities worked together to make sure most people received needed medical attention.

He also conceded that doctors and hospitals often went unpaid for their efforts, or accepted baked goods or chickens in partial payment.

I need to see if I can pay in chickens and baked goods. I make a mean banana nut bread.

He described his colleagues as "a class of career elitists" and "cowards," and at one point, talking about his frustrations, said, "It's just a good thing I can't pack a gun on the Senate floor."

Tough to disagree there.

Responding to a man in Langley who asked if Obama "wants to destroy America," Coburn said the president is "very bright" and loves his country but has a political philosophy that is "goofy and wrong."

Obama's "intent is not to destroy, his intent is to create dependency because it worked so well for him," he said.

"As an African-American male," Coburn said, Obama received "tremendous advantage from a lot of these programs."

Coburn went on to say that most of the country's problems were created by Congress and that "I don't think presidents matter that much."

Mostly Good Stuff - Isn't there some saying that if you made both sides angry you're doing you job.

pphilfran
8/18/2011, 04:59 PM
"As an African-American male," Coburn said, Obama received "tremendous advantage from a lot of these programs."

That ain't gonna go over too well...

soonercoop1
8/18/2011, 05:16 PM
Truth hurts I guess...

GKeeper316
8/18/2011, 05:17 PM

its gonna bite him in the ***.

okie52
8/18/2011, 05:53 PM

Why? He isnt running for re-election.

SicEmBaylor
8/18/2011, 06:03 PM

From whom? Is he going to lose the support of the right-wing caucasian male population in Oklahoma in the next election that, by the way, he won't be running in?

OUHOMER
8/18/2011, 06:10 PM
How about a Ron Paul / Tom Coburn ticket

mgsooner
8/18/2011, 06:10 PM
From whom? Is he going to lose the support of the right-wing caucasian male population in Oklahoma in the next election that, by the way, he won't be running in?

Exactly. Tom could call Obama a "dirty n***er" and the crowds that come to listen to him speak in Oklahoma would just nod their heads and say "mmm hmm".

Okla-homey
8/18/2011, 06:13 PM
Exactly. Tom could call Obama a "dirty n***er" and the crowds that come to listen to him speak in Oklahoma would just nod their heads and say "mmm hmm".

But his mama was a white woman from Kansas. Just like my nephews and nieces!

picasso
8/18/2011, 07:18 PM

Oh that's a broad brush of bull****.

okie52
8/18/2011, 07:19 PM

Fortunately there are enlightened Americans that recognize any opposition to Obama must be racist....it's the only possible answer.

AlbqSooner
8/18/2011, 07:26 PM

I have known Sen. Coburn since we were in the fifth grade together, through high school, and up to today. During all of that time, he has, when necessary to state his opinion on a given matter, done so without checking to see which way the wind blows.

I agree with a lot that he says, disagree with a few things, but have the utmost respect for his willingness to say what he believes without concern for any reprisal.

SicEmBaylor
8/18/2011, 07:48 PM
I have known Sen. Coburn since we were in the fifth grade together, through high school, and up to today. During all of that time, he has, when necessary to state his opinion on a given matter, done so without checking to see which way the wind blows.

I agree with a lot that he says, disagree with a few things, but have the utmost respect for his willingness to say what he believes without concern for any reprisal.

This.

I somewhat know him. My dad was a physician in the Muskogee area, so they both knew each other well. When I was in middle school and high school, I would attend GOP events where he was in attendance, and he always had a kind word for me. I spent a couple of weeks in D.C. and I thought I was pretty bad *** when (then) Rep. Coburn knew me personally by name in front of the rest of the people in my group. :D

Anyway, on the occasions that I've had the honor to speak with Coburn, I have never known him to be anything less than totally honest and honorable. Clearly not everyone is going to agree with everything he stands for, but everyone should be proud that the state is represented by a man of such integrity.

I'd proudly follow Tom Coburn to the gates of hell if he asked. You can say whatever you want about his politics (which I find myself in near total agreement with), but I absolutely can not abide someone who questions his integrity, sincerity, or honor.

pphilfran
8/18/2011, 10:32 PM

I like him....I like him a lot...statements like this might not hurt but it damn sure won' make it any easier when trying to work with those on the other side for the remainder of his term...

C&CDean
8/18/2011, 10:37 PM

Gee. You're such an alarmist/dip****.

Carry on...

soonercruiser
8/18/2011, 10:38 PM

Not in OKlahoma, it won't!
:D

CarolinaSoonerFan
8/23/2011, 12:58 PM
Coburn is one of the few that I actually trust in Washington (Demint being the other). I am always proud to when I hear people in SC bring him up. I hope he keeps up the good work.

badger
8/23/2011, 01:32 PM
They're friends, at least publicly :D

They joined the Senate at about the same time and seem to understand each other, so while Obama will be calling him an extreme rightie and Coburn will be calling him misguided, they're still friends... publicly at least.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2011, 01:58 PM
I trust only 4 members of the United States Senate:
Sen. Coburn
Sen. DeMint
Sen. Paul
Sen. Sessions (to a lesser extent than the top 3)

I really really want to trust Marco Rubio, but he has some ideological inconsistencies that bother me. Not major ones, but enough to make me a bit leery of him.

badger
8/23/2011, 02:06 PM
Hey, 4 outta 100! That's... what, 4 percent of the Senate! Yay! :D

MR2-Sooner86
8/23/2011, 04:54 PM

Obama isn't a dirty n*gger though.

He's Halfrican.