PDA

View Full Version : Les Miserables

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 09:01 PM
Anyone ever see the Broadway Stage Show of this?

I think I'd like to take the Family to see this. I hear they are doing another across the Nation Tour of the show.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/files/2011/03/lesmiz2.jpg

sooner_born_1960
8/17/2011, 09:03 PM
No. What's it about?

tcrb
8/17/2011, 09:07 PM
Saw it on Broadway. IMO it did not nearly live up to its hype. But musical theatre is very subjective, so you may enjoy it. I would never tell someone that they should not go to a show. It has had a good long run, so obviously lots of people have enjoyed it. I just thought it was a bit depressing. I'd save my money to see Wicked if I were you.

oklaclarinet
8/17/2011, 09:08 PM
Yes! Saw it at the Walton Art Center in Fayetteville this past spring as part of the most recent tour. It was amazing!

I hadn't really been exposed to the show much until a few years ago. It had been featured in the music theater chapter in the textbook I use for music appreciation, but I used to not spend as much time on it. Then in the fall of 2009, I was in a stage production/review show, and a medley of songs from this show was one of the numbers. I started looking more into the songs and the story, and I found the 10th anniversary concert. I bought both the DVD and CD of that concert, and I now show the DVD every semester for my class. I even read the Victor Hugo novel, which is also really good.

When I saw the show was going to be nearby, I knew I had to go. The story and the music are both epic. Easily one of my favorite musicals.

oklaclarinet
8/17/2011, 09:12 PM
No. What's it about?

You want the long or short version?

Short version - Main protagonist is Jean Valjean, who is released from prison after nineteen years (for stealing a loaf of bread). He attempts to make a new life for himself, but has to break parole to do so. As such he is pursued by Inspector Javert, who believes a prisoner can never truly change. The story takes place in 19th century France and intertwines with the events of the June Rebellion, or Paris Uprising of 1832.

There really is a lot more to it than that.

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 09:26 PM
Sadly no Tulsa, OKC or even KC

47straight
8/17/2011, 11:38 PM
Worth seeing.

AlbqSooner
8/18/2011, 07:03 AM
Very good play. One thing that gets it lukewarm reviews from some people, IMO, is that you do not walk out of the theater singing or humming a main song. No particular one sticks in your mind and somewhat defines the production. However, my recommendation, take the wife and kids and have fun.

olevetonahill
8/18/2011, 07:08 AM
No. What's it about?

Just going by the Name , My best guess would be Marriage.;)

OhU1
8/18/2011, 07:11 AM
Saw it in 1999 in NYC and it was great. I hate musicals so that says a lot (saw Phantom of the Opera in 2001, meh).

AlbqSooner
8/18/2011, 07:17 AM
It is kind of like the movie "Billy Jack". It may not be all that great, but you walk out of the theater wanting to go kick some ***.

olevetonahill
8/18/2011, 07:31 AM
It is kind of like the movie "Billy Jack". It may not be all that great, but you walk out of the theater wanting to go kick some ***.

So it IS about Marriage then.:D

lexsooner
8/18/2011, 09:11 AM
I highly recommend local productions, especially lesser known plays or musicals. The quality is usually much higher than your expect, you support your local arts and economy, and it is less crowded or expensive than Broadway. I saw a local production of the play Frankenstein in Lexington, KY, recently and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was not crowded and we had great seats and the story captivated us the whole evening. Then we saw Rocky Horror Show the next week and it was mildly entertaining, but also crowded and frankly the Rocky Horror Show is a lightweight musical which became a cult classic.

I also recommend you check out lesser known plays on Broadway. We enjoyed them more than the high priced musicals where the staff treat tourists like cattle.