PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer likely not headed to OU ...rumor..?

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 07:10 PM
sorry if posted... i hope this is not true

Whitehouse graduate Trey Metoyer, who was one of the nation's top wide receiver recruits last year, likely will not be at Oklahoma this season after signing with the Sooners in February. (Jaime R. Carrero | Tyler Morning Telegraph)

The status of Oklahoma signee Trey Metoyer is still in limbo. But at this point, it appears the former Whitehouse High School star receiver will not be suiting up for the Sooners or for Tyler Junior College any time soon.

According to multiple sources, Metoyer passed only nine of 12 hours of summer school at TJC -- making him ineligible to play junior college football this fall. By law -- the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act -- TJC officials cannot release Metoyer’s grades.

David Metoyer, Trey’s father, sought help from Whitehouse school officials. Richard Peacock, the assistant superintendent at Whitehouse ISD, confirmed that the meeting took place Tuesday at the father’s request.

“… I don’t know it for a fact, but I would assume if he didn’t qualify for TJC he wouldn’t qualify for (NCAA Division I),” Peacock told the Tyler Paper, adding that “to my understanding” the Metoyers have not received an official ruling from the NCAA Clearinghouse.

“Trey is a graduate of Whitehouse High School. He met all the state and local requirements for graduation,” Peacock said. “His transcript is sealed … what happens from that point on is out of our hands. We have nothing to do with making him eligible or making him ineligible, or a qualifier or a non-qualifier for TJC or a Division I.”

David Metoyer told the Tyler Paper, “We’re not exactly sure what we’re going to do right now.” Pressed further on the matter, the father said, “I am not going to discuss anything else about Trey.”

One viable option for Metoyer, one of the nation's top wide receiver recruits last year, would be to attend Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., for a year, where he could play football and continue to try to raise his test scores and grade-point average. By doing that, Metoyer would retain all four years of NCAA eligibility.

“All those things were discussed,” Peacock said. “But as far as what he’s going to do, I have no idea. There were no decisions made about anything in the meeting.”

In the June 16 edition of the Tyler Morning Telegraph, David Metoyer said his son was taking two classes at TJC in an effort to boost his grade point average in order to be eligible for Oklahoma this fall. TJC’s Summer I session was June 6 through July 7. Summer II ran July 11 through Aug. 12. TJC head football coach Danny Palmer said Trey Metoyer was enrolled in both summer sessions.

“He was trying to get eligible through the Clearinghouse and get his grade point average up,” Palmer said. “I don’t understand all the rules of the Clearinghouse in that situation. I know he did real well this last semester.”

One year ago, Metoyer was the talk of East Texas and the state for his play on the field. The U.S. Army and PARADE Magazine All-American had 108 catches for 1,540 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior at Whitehouse. Metoyer committed to Oklahoma before his senior season.

Although he did not sign with TJC, or any other junior college, Metoyer would have been eligible to play Juco football this fall just by being a high school graduate. But once he reached 12 hours at TJC, he was considered a full-time student and therefore had to pass all 12 hours, said TJC athletic director Dr. Tim Drain.

“The only reason to take 12 hours in the summer at the Juco level is to become eligible,” Drain said. “But for all I know, he literally might have needed all 12 to become eligible at Oklahoma.”

Palmer thinks Metoyer will go to Hargrave Military Academy, unless a better option becomes available.

“I’ve heard that’s what Oklahoma wants him to do,” Palmer said.

http://www.etfinalscore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=186&catid=116&Itemid=137

srweinbe
8/17/2011, 07:16 PM
is this a reliable source? hopefully he stays a commit to OU...

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 07:18 PM
is this a reliable source? hopefully he stays a commit to OU...

a buddy of mine that lives in east texas sent this to me... i hope the source is not true.

Collier11
8/17/2011, 07:46 PM
I heard that he passed both and was awaiting the clearing house to verify they were legit, just sayin

Sooner_Tuf
8/17/2011, 08:08 PM
First I have heard of this. AFAIK, which is almot nothing, he should be on campus for the fall semester.

delhalew
8/17/2011, 08:14 PM
I'm getting sick of the delays with this kid. Think I'll adopt a Wtf ever mindset.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 08:15 PM
I'm getting sick of the delays with this kid. Think I'll adopt a Wtf ever mindset.

Always a wise policy when dealing with young people, or even people in general. :D

gaylordfan1
8/17/2011, 08:16 PM
Dang, I'm cool with him not playing this year and redshirting... at least he would be on campus learning the playbook and learning from the current WR's. But not to be on campus at all.... troubling.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 08:20 PM
But he may or may not qualify to be on campus is the little problem we're facing.

birddog
8/17/2011, 08:31 PM
that's the "to be not on campus is troubling" idea he may have been headed towards. we have receivers. we'll always get receivers. he'll figure something out. if he can't, norvell knows his way around a receiver er 3 .

47straight
8/17/2011, 08:39 PM
Sure would be nice to have a big-big name receiver recruit make it to campus and on the field someday.

yankee
8/17/2011, 08:39 PM
The only 3 to truly know if Trey will be eligible are him, God, and OUDavid.

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 08:44 PM

lol

birddog
8/17/2011, 08:48 PM
william brasky may beat em all to the punch. he hides in bushes, digs holes in recruits yards, and prank calls em for more vital info. i'll be waitin to hear from him until a real legitimate source strolls along.

course, brasky he may be baned for the whole "stalking capel" allegations.

hawaii 5-0
8/17/2011, 08:56 PM
I'm ready for some good news about OU football. I've had enough of bad news and ugly rumours.

5-0

Seamus
8/17/2011, 08:57 PM
We need Ahmad Kabba!!!!!1!!!11!!!!1!!!!!1!!1!1!!!!eleven!!11!!!!

Sooner_Tuf
8/17/2011, 08:58 PM

Amen!

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 08:59 PM
who remembers David Sims 2008?

wonder what ever happened to this kid

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 09:00 PM
Sims went to JuCo and then ended up at Iowa State, IIRC.

Salt City Sooner
8/17/2011, 09:19 PM
Sims went to JuCo and then ended up at Iowa State, IIRC.

Yep. He made honorable mention all B12 in fact.

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 09:32 PM
nice, didn't know that.

Boomer.....
8/17/2011, 09:48 PM
I heard that he passed both and was awaiting the clearing house to verify they were legit, just sayin

I thought this as well. :confused:

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 09:49 PM
I heard he was abducted by space aliens and will be on campus when and if they bring him back.

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2011, 10:23 PM
Insider guys on twitter are saying the same. Only two of the 4 classes mattered to the clearing house, others were for Juco. So he could fail those two, pass the clearing house ones and get into OU and not the Juco.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:26 PM
Good, so if the aliens bring him back he'll be a Sooner!

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2011, 10:37 PM
Yes...maybe.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2011, 10:41 PM
I heard he was abducted by space aliens and will be on campus when and if they bring him back.

That could be good news if they inject him with super DNA that amps up his brain and makes him an A student. But it could just be the same 'ol anal probing.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:44 PM
What if they give him magnet hands that works on leather and he could draw the football to him no matter where it's thrown? That'd be pretty cool! :D

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2011, 10:47 PM
Agree with the leather magnet hands, but he still needs some of that brain amping to get admitted.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:49 PM
Agree with the leather magnet hands, but he still needs some of that brain amping to get admitted.

Oh yeah, that too.

VA Sooner
8/17/2011, 10:53 PM
Kid got a second chance and couldn't cut it... yet. Give him more time... maybe things will be right again next year.

We've got depth at receiver so no worries... move along folks, nothing to see here.

Trey... good luck for next year.

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 10:59 PM
So he could be eligible for OU but ineligible for that JuCo, if he passes the right classes according to the Clearinghouse. I know it's a special case about different classes, but at first glance, that does not reflect well on OU's academics. :D

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 11:04 PM
i blame Lebron James

sooner59
8/18/2011, 12:17 AM
On the 10pm news here in Tulsa they said he only took care of 9 of the 12 credits he needed to make it. They reported he will not be eligible at OU and will also not be eligible at JR college. They said his family is now considering a military school. FWIW

Sooner_Tuf
8/18/2011, 01:20 AM
I heard the same thing 59 said the news is reporting. Later I heard he is just waiting on the clearinghouse and he will be on campus in the next 2-3 days.

I don't know what to believe. Time will answer it though. There is so many people reading things accurate or not then adding fantasy spin like it's fact.

Until OU comes out and says I wouldn't believe anything at this point.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah, who knows what the hell is going on when the NCAA Clearinghouse gets involved.

Soonermagik
8/18/2011, 07:01 AM
Stoops said like 2 weeks ago they would know the status of R. Lewis, Metoyer, Wade etc.. in a few days. I just don't understand why this information hasn't come out on espn, newsok etc..

oudavid1
8/18/2011, 07:17 AM

Dont know a thing. He is not on campus so I cant.

OUVarsityXV
8/18/2011, 08:20 AM
This is like the worst off season ever. Well 2005 was pretty bad too.

dwarthog
8/18/2011, 08:40 AM
It's in the paper this morning, he won't be going to OU this year.

Apparently he is being pushed to go the military school route, which will still allow him 4 years at OU.

fwsooner22
8/18/2011, 08:47 AM
As usual the moral to the story is "school is more important". So many stories of kids who just won't buy into that.

XingTheRubicon
8/18/2011, 08:54 AM
trey "smoke" metoyer

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah I think we found out the correct pronunciation for "Metoyer" is "Smoke".
;)

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 09:07 AM
I went to college with a guy who showed up unprepared. Luckily, our college found a place for him in a prep school and stood by him. He came back the next year, finished his degree in four years, entered med school and recently closed a private practice to open a free clinic in Wilmington, Delaware, his home town.
Not a typical story, maybe, but it can happen.
I sincerely hope OU sticks by Metoyer and he sticks by his commitments.

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 09:12 AM
I knew a ton of smart people in college that flunked out. They didn't have their priorities straight and screwed around. I don't think that's what's going on here, but it's possible... Regardless of what is going on, I hope he gets a great education and continues to excel on the field!

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2011, 09:18 AM
I always wondered how we got the receiver from a Va. military academy (I think it was Caleb?). Must have been a similar situation.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2011, 09:21 AM
Grades, Grades, Grades... *SMH* :(

sooner518
8/18/2011, 09:23 AM
It's in the paper this morning, he won't be going to OU this year.

Apparently he is being pushed to go the military school route, which will still allow him 4 years at OU.

ACcording to this, Trey is saying those newspaper reports are incorrect:
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/8/17/2369629/2011-ou-wr-recruit-trey-metoyer-update

According to Carey Murdock at SoonerScoop ($), he received a text message from Trey Metoyer stating that "he (Metoyer) has taken care of his grades and is now just waiting on the clearinghouse."

This saga is getting to be ridiculous....

OUVarsityXV
8/18/2011, 09:24 AM
Kind of insane that kid can't get it together if these rumors are true. He certainly had all the attributes to do well in our system. In the last few years a lot of our 5-stars have not been performing up to par. RJ Washington, Rhett Bomar, Jermie Calhoun and now this kid. Very disappointing.

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 09:34 AM
5 star athletic talent is extremely rare. That talent, combined with intellignece tuned in the peculiar way our educational system requires? Rarer still.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2011, 09:36 AM
If the NCAA clearinghouse is anything like the Publishers clearinghouse, no one ever really wins.

TMcGee86
8/18/2011, 09:40 AM
This situation seems very fluid.

kiomanche
8/18/2011, 09:40 AM
Geeeez! when your a big time recruit or any recruit, don't you think you need to have your stuff together before you graduate?? unless of course your Boobie Miles!!! "only class i have is football"

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 09:51 AM
Classes Needed to Pass JUCO Needed to Qualify at OU Passed
Class 1 YES YES YES
Class 2 YES NO YES
Class 3 YES YES YES
Class 4 YES NO NO

Result: Does not qualify for JUCO, but DOES qualify for OU.

This is what Trey himself is saying happened (according to Murdock).

bixby28
8/18/2011, 10:00 AM
Trey isn't desparately needed this season, but next year he will definitely need to be ready and up-to-speed with the offense. This issue doesn't mean as much to the team as does T. Lewis' does.

fwsooner22
8/18/2011, 10:15 AM
There year you need a kid like that is "EVERY YEAR".

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2011, 10:17 AM
Classes Needed to Pass JUCO Needed to Qualify at OU Passed
Class 1 YES YES YES
Class 2 YES NO YES
Class 3 YES YES YES
Class 4 YES NO NO

Result: Does not qualify for JUCO, but DOES qualify for OU.

This is what Trey himself is saying happened (according to Murdock).

Wow... Crazy how that works.

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 10:36 AM
Dunno if that was sarcasm or not... but I'm just trying to visualize that for everyone that may not understand the setup. I'm also just going off of what others have said.

dwarthog
8/18/2011, 10:40 AM
ACcording to this, Trey is saying those newspaper reports are incorrect:
http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/8/17/2369629/2011-ou-wr-recruit-trey-metoyer-update

This saga is getting to be ridiculous....

Definitely some inconsistencies with the reporting on this matter. Guess we won't know until game day if he is actually eligible.... :confused:

TheresOnlyOne
8/18/2011, 10:41 AM
Kind of insane that kid can't get it together if these rumors are true. He certainly had all the attributes to do well in our system. In the last few years a lot of our 5-stars have not been performing up to par. RJ Washington, Rhett Bomar, Jermie Calhoun and now this kid. Very disappointing.

I wouldn't be so quick to count out Calhoun. Every time I watch the RB drills, 34 looks legit. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up being a big part of the mix.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2011, 10:46 AM
Dunno if that was sarcasm or not... but I'm just trying to visualize that for everyone that may not understand the setup. I'm also just going off of what others have said.

Sarcasm??? From me?! No way! :D

But in all seriousness it was a very serious statment. :)

So, he can qualify for OU but not for a Juco? I guess I jus don't understand how that works... :confused:

I hope to see him here regardless though.

BillyBall
8/18/2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to count out Calhoun. Every time I watch the RB drills, 34 looks legit. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he ended up being a big part of the mix.

Agreed. He looks extremely physical.

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 11:18 AM
Sarcasm??? From me?! No way! :D

But in all seriousness it was a very serious statment. :)

So, he can qualify for OU but not for a Juco? I guess I jus don't understand how that works... :confused:

I hope to see him here regardless though.
:D

I think the idea is that he needed a couple credits to qualify for OU, but if he wanted to be eligible to play for the JUCO he needed to pass 12 hours (normal for a student there). It's the difference between being eligible to play for the school in which you are currently enrolled (JUCO) and qualifying to enroll at OU.

cantwait48
8/18/2011, 12:06 PM
:D

I think the idea is that he needed a couple credits to qualify for OU, but if he wanted to be eligible to play for the JUCO he needed to pass 12 hours (normal for a student there). It's the difference between being eligible to play for the school in which you are currently enrolled (JUCO) and qualifying to enroll at OU.

yes this makes sense in a way but if he is an incoming frosh at the juco why would he need 12 hours in the summer to be eligible to play there this year? and if he needs to pass two classes to get to OU and 4 to get to juco then why even take the other two for juco because if you don't pass the courses needed for OU then you can't go juco either. anyway I am sure there are reasons for all this but some of it doesn't make much sense.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2011, 12:11 PM
I never did start the poll on the outcome of the Metoyer situation - mostly because I couldn't convince Badger to do it. But my vote would have been "never pulls on an OU jersey" and that hasn't changed. I post this now because I want to jinx my prediction and have Metoyer show up for practice tomorrow.

OUVarsityXV
8/18/2011, 01:19 PM

I may be wrong but isn't 34 Dominque Whaley. I thought 23 was Calhoun.

badger
8/18/2011, 01:21 PM
Stoops doesn't sound without hope:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110818_92_0_NORMAN98816)

As far as I understand today, it's still not totally resolved.

I think Stoops would say if he thought it wasn't possible.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2011, 01:22 PM
I may be wrong but isn't 34 Dominque Whaley. I thought 23 was Calhoun.

34 is Calhoun. He switched his number this year...

Dom Whaley is 31 IIRC?

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 01:35 PM
That is correct.

JLEW1818
8/18/2011, 01:38 PM
I never did start the poll on the outcome of the Metoyer situation - mostly because I couldn't convince Badger to do it. But my vote would have been "never pulls on an OU jersey" and that hasn't changed. I post this now because I want to jinx my prediction and have Metoyer show up for practice tomorrow.

I have said RedShirt since day 1. so I will prlly be wrong

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2011, 01:52 PM
I have said RedShirt since day 1. so I will prlly be wrong

But you're never wrong... WTF is this world coming to!!! :(

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 02:21 PM
Calhoun may yet have his day. He had a silly run of about 4-5 carries in a row when he de-helmeted the first tackler each time with his knees.

Personally, I enjoyed watching that

prrriiide
8/18/2011, 02:26 PM
This is like the worst off season ever. Well 2005 was pretty bad too.

You must be pretty young. I'd take this off-season AND 2005's combined and throw in the whole 2009 season over 1988's off-season.
That was one charlie-foxtrot after another.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2011, 02:41 PM
Calhoun may yet have his day. He had a silly run of about 4-5 carries in a row when he de-helmeted the first tackler each time with his knees.

Personally, I enjoyed watching that

Calhoun has looked like a powerful brute at times when he does get a chance. We could use that in the RB rotation. That injury in the CU game last year was gruesome and I'm surprised he is back at 100% this soon. Must have worked his a** off in rehab.

JLEW1818
8/18/2011, 03:05 PM

u wanna dance?:texan:

oudavid1
8/18/2011, 03:07 PM

No, im never wrong, you just wouldnt know that if you listened to everyone else.......

(Shut up David)

bixby28
8/18/2011, 03:20 PM
Calhoun has looked like a powerful brute at times when he does get a chance. We could use that in the RB rotation. That injury in the CU game last year was gruesome and I'm surprised he is back at 100% this soon. Must have worked his a** off in rehab.

Agreed. I told a buddy of mine a few days ago that, when Calhoun was healthy, he was as impressive as any of the young backs on the roster. If his knee hasn't cost him a step, I think he'll play this season.

pphilfran
8/18/2011, 03:26 PM
A little East Texas info...

Calhoun is from Van...Van prides itself in being the East Texas small school power in football...

Trey is from Whitehouse...Whitehouse prides itself in being the East Texas small school power in basketball...

I lived just outside Whitehouse for 15 years...

JLEW1818
8/18/2011, 03:39 PM
A little East Texas info...

Calhoun is from Van...Van prides itself in being the East Texas small school power in football...

Trey is from Whitehouse...Whitehouse prides itself in being the East Texas small school power in basketball...

I lived just outside Whitehouse for 15 years...

i lived in Tyler for 4 years

pphilfran
8/18/2011, 03:53 PM
i lived in Tyler for 4 years

When...where?

I lived just west of the 756/346 intersection that is south of Tyler....1984-99....

Damn nice town...didn't want to leave...

TMcGee86
8/21/2011, 02:34 PM
We were #3 in the state my Junior year in BBall and we played Whithouse in the finals of a tournament early in the year and they flat out beat our ***. Granted they were 4A and we were 3A but damn, we didn't feel so good about ourselves after that game.

SyN
8/29/2011, 02:54 PM
SoonerScoop just broke the news on Trey Metoyer... Im not a member so I can't access the news.... Does anyone have any insite?

Soonerfan88
8/29/2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?158064-OUI-reporting-quot-Metoyer-enrolls-at-Hargrave-Academy

oumartin
8/29/2011, 03:03 PM
he is going to prep school.