PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart Scolds Media for Ignoring Ron Paul – Aug 15 2011

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 04:52 PM
Don't know how to embed...

http://ronpaulflix.com/2011/08/jon-stewart-scolds-media-for-ignoring-ron-paul-aug-15-2011/

soonerhubs
8/17/2011, 04:55 PM
I watched this yesterday. Sicem had it on his wall. Why do the idiots at FoxNews ignore this guy. He's spot on, and actually honest!

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 04:59 PM
I watched this yesterday. Sicem had it on his wall. Why do the idiots at FoxNews ignore this guy. He's spot on, and actually honest!

What's Sicem's facebook? If he doesn't mind...

MR2-Sooner86
8/17/2011, 05:01 PM

He's not a "Good Ole Boy" of the GOP. He's against the wars. He doesn't want to give marijuana users the chair. He doesn't want to treat homosexuals as second class citizens. He's actually for cutting back on spending.

He's not "one of their own" so to speak.

soonerhubs
8/17/2011, 05:06 PM
He's not a "Good Ole Boy" of the GOP. He's against the wars. He doesn't want to give marijuana users the chair. He doesn't want to treat homosexuals as second class citizens. He's actually for cutting back on spending.

You're right.
He's not one of the crony politicians that got us into this mess. He's intellectually honest about his stance on things, and he doesn't cow-tow to a bunch of power hungry lobbyists.

It's Ron Paul or no choice, IMHO.

Blue
8/17/2011, 05:30 PM
Id be interested in Sics facebook as well. way to many whiny liberals on mine.

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 05:41 PM

And they say he's a kook...

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 06:07 PM
pChzOaIeyxY

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 06:08 PM
JLdZxDjFsYI

SanJoaquinSooner
8/17/2011, 06:20 PM
Charles Krauthammer had it correct in his recent column.

Ron Paul will not be the next President of the United States. He is a libertarian and the United States isn't libertarian.

Ronald Reagan is the closest to a libertarian we've had recently and on a libertarian scale of 1 to 10, where Ron Paul is a 9, Reagan was probably a 4 or 5. His rhetoric may have been a 6, but not his policies.

Goldwater was more so, but he got hammered by LBJ.

Midtowner
8/17/2011, 06:20 PM
I voted for Ron Paul in '08, will be doing so again.

okie52
8/17/2011, 08:01 PM

Surprising Since Paul doesn't think the rich are dumping on the backs of the poor and middle class.

Have you checked with gatekeeper for the logical choice?

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 08:06 PM
Surprising Since Paul doesn't think the rich are dumping on the backs of the poor and middle class.

it doesn't stand for gatekeeper. it stands for goal keeper. its a soccer thing.

okie52
8/17/2011, 08:28 PM

it doesn't stand for gatekeeper. it stands for goal keeper. its a soccer thing.

Ron Paul hates soccer.

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 08:31 PM
Ron Paul hates soccer.

many americans do as well. doesn't make me like them any more or less. i personally think baseball is the biggest waste of time ever invented by man... does that mean baseball lovers automatically hate me?

MR2-Sooner86
8/17/2011, 08:34 PM
Baseball was invented as a reason to drink.

Soccer was invented as a reason to riot.

Of course the riots didn't pick up here like they did in Europe so we invented the NBA, NHL, and Ohio State to pick up the slack.

tommieharris91
8/17/2011, 08:36 PM

Of course the riots didn't pick up here like they did in Europe so we invented the NBA, NHL, and Ohio State to pick up the slack.

We invented the NHL? Ohh and add West Virginia to your list.

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 08:36 PM

soccer actually evolved from post execution celebrations in england... ok i guess you could call it a riot.

they used to kick around the decapitated heads of just executed criminals and eventually made rules and stopped using heads.

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 08:40 PM
Huffington Post article about the same thing (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-koerner/media-mainstreamembracing_b_926873.html)

A snippet:

And yet, and yet... the extraordinary lack of coverage of Ron Paul following his statistical tie for first place in Iowa is a remarkable story in itself -- worthy of the best efforts of serious investigative journalists.

Here are a couple of headlines that I saw today, a couple of days after the Iowa Straw Poll, which are very typical of the type of coverage the event has generated.

Pawlenty exits GOP race; leaves Romney, Perry, Bachmann to duke it out (CS Monitor)

Bachmann, Perry Shake Up GOP Field (FOX)

Dr. Paul, who everyone knows represents something new and culturally challenging -- two criteria for newsworthiness -- is conspicuous by his absence.

As another example, in the story, "The post-Ames, post-Pawlenty GOP field", from CNN, the only reference in the whole article to the man who gained almost as many votes as Bachmann, was the line,

"Pawlenty finished a distant third in the poll, behind Bachmann and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who finished within one percentage point of each other."

The remarkably strong and suggestive showing of Dr. Paul does not, apparently, warrant even the use of his name as the subject of a sentence in an article that purports to describe the post-Pawlenty field. And this is despite the fact that he near-as-damn-it tied with a woman who couldn't put any clear water between her and him even though the poll was held in her home-state.

The dereliction of service by the media is truly remarkable. I don't know how or why it has come about but it demands investigation -- as an extraordinary incident of either massive group-think or institutional corruption.

It is hard to believe that journalists are being instructed from their corporate overlords to misrepresent a hugely important political event and trend, but it is also hard to credit the idea that an entire profession of thousands of free-thinking individuals have decided to ignore the elephant (read libertarian doctor), in the room -- especially when it is obvious to anyone with an internet connection or the ability to read that Dr Paul's success in Iowa is not just a story -- but is really the only story here.

Great stuff.

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 08:43 PM
We invented the NHL? Ohh and add West Virginia to your list.

We invented everything. Amurrica.

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 08:46 PM
It is hard to believe that journalists are being instructed from their corporate overlords to misrepresent a hugely important political event and trend, but it is also hard to credit the idea that an entire profession of thousands of free-thinking individuals have decided to ignore the elephant (read libertarian doctor), in the room -- especially when it is obvious to anyone with an internet connection or the ability to read that Dr Paul's success in Iowa is not just a story -- but is really the only story here.

i think whoever wrote this is gloriously naive about corporate news in today's america.

tommieharris91
8/17/2011, 08:46 PM
I think Ron Paul is on CNN more than he is on Fox News.

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 08:54 PM
i think whoever wrote this is gloriously naive about corporate news in today's america.

Regardless, it's nice to see members of the media calling out their own colleagues for this.

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 08:56 PM
I saw that bit too. He nailed it

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 08:56 PM
Regardless, it's nice to see members of the media calling out their own colleagues for this.

they can get called out as much as you want, but it won't change the fact that news directors are beholden to thier corporate masters, who's only motivation is profit.

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 08:58 PM
they can get called out as much as you want, but it won't change the fact that news directors are beholden to thier corporate masters, who's only motivation is profit.

Of course it's not going to change that, but it can change voters' minds. I still don't expect Paul to get the nomination, but it's nice anyway.

MR2-Sooner86
8/17/2011, 09:02 PM
Source (http://www.journalism.org/numbers_report/are_media_ignoring_ron_paul)

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/nov05election/2011/08/17/chart_builder2624x336.gif

From January 1-August 14, Paul has been a dominant newsmaker in only 27 campaign stories. (To be considered a dominant newsmaker, someone must be featured in at least 50% of a story.) That is less than one-quarter of the media attention generated by former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney (120 stories), who is the top newsmaker among Republican candidates. And he has received 25% as much coverage as Bachmann, the Minnesota Congresswoman (108 stories).

Paul’s coverage also lags far behind Trump (94 stories), who dallied with a run before opting out in mid-May and Palin (85 stories), who has given no indication to date that she will enter the race. In addition, Paul trails longshot candidate and former Utah governor Jon Huntsman (44 stories) and Texas Governor, Rick Perry (33 stories) who only announced his candidacy on August 13.

The only significant GOP candidates that Paul is besting are former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum (21 stories) and businessman Herman Cain (11 stories).

The top campaign newsmaker overall is incumbent President Barack Obama, at 221 stories.

okie52
8/17/2011, 09:39 PM
many americans do as well. doesn't make me like them any more or less. i personally think baseball is the biggest waste of time ever invented by man... does that mean baseball lovers automatically hate me?

Hate is such a strong word...but they probably think you're a commie.

So do you think football means soccer?

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 09:46 PM
even when i lived in england i called it soccer.

okie52
8/17/2011, 09:51 PM
even when i lived in england i called it soccer.

You are to be commended.

Did the limey's call it soccer?

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 09:52 PM

Maybe but the real truth is he really won the straw poll because Bachman bought her way to the front. Nobody in their right mind would vote for her over Paul they took her free meal and hung around the party she threw and Paul got his votes the way they should be gotten...with a good message and being the guy that really started the platform that Bachman is trying to hold onto.

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 09:52 PM
You are to be commended.

Did the limey's call it soccer?

no.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 09:56 PM
The mainstream media's not gonna give Paul much coverage because he's not a liberal donk.

Fox news isn't gonna give Paul much coverage because they realize he has no chance of winning.

That nails it! What I win? :D

87sooner
8/17/2011, 09:59 PM
Maybe but the real truth is he really won the straw poll because Bachman bought her way to the front. Nobody in their right mind would vote for her over Paul they took her free meal and hung around the party she threw and Paul got his votes the way they should be gotten...with a good message and being the guy that really started the platform that Bachman is trying to hold onto.

that is only part of the truth..
if you know how ron paul followers operate...you know they show up in big numbers for events like this....and call in polls...and internet polls...
it happened over and over in 2008....
it occasionally made news....
unfortunately....rp just didn't appeal to very many people..

the big question is will that change in 2012....
hopefully it does...
i would love to see him get the nomination...
but i'm not getting my hopes up...
the media is going to push perry or ryan if he gets in...
and they will again label rp "fringe" or "second tier"....
and the sheep will fall in line...

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 10:00 PM
The mainstream media's not gonna give Paul much coverage because he's not a liberal donk.

Fox news isn't gonna give Paul much coverage because they realize he has no chance of winning.

lots of anal over at dean's place. watch out. vet's over there too.

tommieharris91
8/17/2011, 10:02 PM

This thought baffles me.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:05 PM
This thought baffles me.

I agree with a lot of what Paul stands for, but he's too..."Ross Peroty" to win. It is what it is.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:06 PM
lots of anal over at dean's place. watch out. vet's over there too.

Well, Dean prolly wouldn't have me over because I don't lick the underparts of Brent Venables, and I doubt Vet's there, cause he rarely leaves the hill.

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 10:22 PM
that is only part of the truth..
if you know how ron paul followers operate...you know they show up in big numbers for events like this....and call in polls...and internet polls...
it happened over and over in 2008....
it occasionally made news....
unfortunately....rp just didn't appeal to very many people..

the big question is will that change in 2012....
hopefully it does...
i would love to see him get the nomination...
but i'm not getting my hopes up...
the media is going to push perry or ryan if he gets in...
and they will again label rp "fringe" or "second tier"....
and the sheep will fall in line...

I guess since I didn't mention the details of the Rin tin tin Ron Paul Cultforce you had to toss in those details but it doesn't really help to improve Ron's position as a Candidate that can win the GOP Candidacy. Some folks really believe Bachman is the real deal and capable to run this Country and it's Military.

When Obama won that was the first thing I thought when he won was "OK, you won, now what the hell are you going to do to win over the military and get them to follow your and the Joint Chiefs lead?". Given his lack of experience in that realm I think he's done an admiral job as I didn't really give him a chance in hell of succeeding at all. He got the #1 Most Wanted Man on Earth and I know lots of folks don't want to give him any credit for making the call to go into Pakistan the way we did but if he would have failed he would have really taken worse heat as POTUS. On top of that Obama was on watch when Captain Richard Phillips life was in the hands of Somali Pirates and he again made a tough call as leader and put all his trust on our elite to do the job of returning The Captain Home to his Ship, His Crew and his Family here in America. He hasn't achieved getting our guys out of the Middle East but I never thought he'd be able to pull it off in 4 years.

Should he get another 4 years? That's up to the American People as IMO if it's up to the Electoral College...I don't think he stands a chance given the events of the debt ceiling cluster****.

If we dont elect a guy like Paul we are going to end up with a Perry of worse. Out of all the Candidates that are currently on the horizon, Paul would get my vote but I have no reason to think he could do much better than Obama overall but maybe he's the guy to bring our Troops Home.

tommieharris91
8/17/2011, 10:27 PM
I agree with a lot of what Paul stands for, but he's too..."Ross Peroty" to win. It is what it is.

Based on polling I've seen, I think it's wrong to count him out. I don't understand why he isn't included in the "top tier." I don't understand how absolutely no one is talking about him and how he is on CNN more than Fox.

87sooner
8/17/2011, 10:29 PM
Based on polling I've seen, I think it's wrong to count him out. I don't understand why he isn't included in the "top tier." I don't understand how absolutely no one is talking about him and how he is on CNN more than Fox.

it's easy to understand...
the money folks that control this country don't want rp as president....so the press don't want him either..
they will label him "second tier" so no one will give him a serious look...

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:30 PM

Cause FOX doesn't think he can win, so they're not gonna give him time. Of course I could be wrong about that, and it wouldn't hurt my feelers if I was, but I think that's what they're doing.

87sooner
8/17/2011, 10:33 PM
Cause FOX doesn't think he can win, so they're not gonna give him time. Of course I could be wrong about that, and it wouldn't hurt my feelers if I was, but I think that's what they're doing.

pisses me off that the media decides who can and cannot win...

tommieharris91
8/17/2011, 10:35 PM
it's easy to understand...
the money folks that control this country don't want rp as president....so the press don't want him either..
they will label him "second tier" so no one will give him a serious look...

I've never been one take the easy way, but there is clearly some reason that he is being quickly dismissed. I also only Romney in the current "top tier" will be able to gain the independent vote. The Tea Party (which Paul left) has become toxic to the Republican party, but 2 of that tier are trying to gain that vote.

This came out today. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/gop_primary_perry_29_romney_18_bachmann_13)

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:38 PM
pisses me off that the media decides who can and cannot win...

Power of the pen, power of the pen... Of course they don't use pens anymore, but you get the point. :D

...and yeah it sucks. The corrent POS POTUS we have is largely a result of the press.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:41 PM
Here's another reason Paul can't win: he's not pretty enough. I mean he's sort of goofy looking, and fair or not that matters. Of course Brack is one of the goofiest looking bastards ever, but he got all sorts of hope and change media love, so it didn't matter as much.

87sooner
8/17/2011, 10:44 PM
Here's another reason Paul can't win: he's not pretty enough. I mean he's sort of goofy looking, and fair or not that matters. Of course Brack is one of the goofiest looking bastards ever, but he got all sorts of hope and change media love, so it didn't matter as much.

yeah...and he has a squeaky voice too..
if he looked/sounded like perry....it might help...
but i still believe the power brokers in this country would never let it happen...
rp is threatening to their grip on power....and it scares them enuf to make sure he is never president...
they want someone they can control...

Midtowner
8/17/2011, 10:45 PM

At least you know what you get with Ron Paul. All of the other candidates seem to say what it takes to get votes and govern entirely differently than they run. There are some things Paul could accomplish as chief executive, there are other things he'd be powerless to accomplish. His particularly scary stances, I don't think he'd be in a position to get Congress to cooperate with, so I'm fine with that.

Curly Bill
8/17/2011, 10:45 PM
yeah...and he has a squeaky voice too..
if he looked/sounded like perry....it might help...
but i still believe the power brokers in this country would never let it happen...
rp is threatening to their grip on power....and it scares them enuf to make sure he is never president...
they want someone they can control...

I don't disagree with any of that.

tommieharris91
8/17/2011, 11:12 PM

I'd go with something having to do with age discrimination. He turns 76 on Saturday.

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 11:25 PM
Ron Paul's being ignored because he's anti-corporatist. He's anti-crony capitalism. The MSM are corporatists. They're in bed with big government establishment politicians. He will shake the status quo foundation.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2011, 02:52 AM
The media don't cover Paul because they are LAZY.. Paul has some liberal and conservative ideas. Which is horrible. I mean who would want a person who can see that a mixture of liberal and conservative ideas might work better. It's easier for Fox News to say stuff like "I am not saying Barack Obama is a racist, but...." raise eyebrows knowingly. It's easier for Liberal news to say "Rick Perry is trying to pray our debt a way at a national debt prayer conference" Sigh and shake head like he is a fool. The news media broke Watergate and have preceded to take the next 40 years off from real investigative journalism.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2011, 02:58 AM
I also would like to add it is so much easier to label someone a Socialist Marxist Nazi or Capitalist Nazi than to actually analyze them and say well, this idea has merit but this section would be difficult because of ipso facto..so forth..

MamaMia
8/18/2011, 03:22 AM
Before its all over, Bill O'Reilly will play that video on The Factor with a guest to tell him what he or she thinks about that. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2011, 03:32 AM
Sadly. O'Reilly is the closest thing to a decent human being in the media. O'Reilly actually does research and decides things based on his own life experiences and not some stock drivel we see from other Fox and The Liberal entities. Stewart is actually not that bad either. It is a sad shame I have to get my news from an opinion guy like O'Reilly and a Comedian like Stewart. Wouldn't it be refreshing to turn it on the nightly news and expect some in depth coverage!

The Profit
8/18/2011, 09:28 AM
I like Ron Paul more and more each day, but he is 75 years old. That is too old to become president. He needs a dynamic young vice presidential candidate.

jkjsooner
8/18/2011, 10:17 AM
You're right.
He's not one of the crony politicians that got us into this mess. He's intellectually honest about his stance on things, and he doesn't cow-tow to a bunch of power hungry lobbyists.

It's Ron Paul or no choice, IMHO.

I could go with Paul if it wasn't for his anti-fed, gold standard, anti-fractional reserve stances. I think implementing these changes could be very dangerous. At best it's very unclear what would happen.

The fractional reserve stance really puzzles me because it is completely anti-libertarian. A true libertarian would let banks set whatever reserve requirements they see fit. To remove fractional reserve banking (which would lead to a severe contraction and depression) is a highly regulatory stance because it necessarily requires banks to hold 100% reserves.

To be honest, I also have a problem with libertarian's stance on the civil right's laws. I want personal liberty but I don't believe that government is the only institution that limits personal liberty. I guess it depends on how you define personal liberty.

Veritas
8/18/2011, 10:20 AM
The media doesn't cover Paul because they're shills for the parties, Fox for the GOP/religious right (is there a difference?) and everyone else for the Dems, and Paul's not a party guy.

jkjsooner
8/18/2011, 10:32 AM
Sadly. O'Reilly is the closest thing to a decent human being in the media. O'Reilly actually does research and decides things based on his own life experiences and not some stock drivel we see from other Fox and The Liberal entities. Stewart is actually not that bad either. It is a sad shame I have to get my news from an opinion guy like O'Reilly and a Comedian like Stewart. Wouldn't it be refreshing to turn it on the nightly news and expect some in depth coverage!

What about NPR? I know, I know liberal blah blah blah. But you will get more in depth coverage there than anywhere else outside of BBC.

Our news organizations have been dumbed downed (sp?) and sensationalized.