PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Todd Monken

achiro
8/17/2011, 10:29 AM
While I would agree that osu has some talent on offense this year I just don't understand why folks think this team is going to be so great this year. Monken was 3-8 and 4-7 at Eastern Michigan as an OC and as far as I know that was his only time at OC. Everything else he has done is positions coaching? Now I know someone will bring up Josh but there is a big difference. Josh has been part of the OU system and I don't expect any huge changes(there will be some but not a lot). Monken wasn't there with Dana and Dana knows how to score points. I have a hard time seeing how this is going to go off without a hitch for the pokes. It just seems to me that very few are concerned about this part of things. Lot's of folks saying that injury is the only thing osu has to worry about, I disagree.
Do I put to much into the importance of play calling?
Tell me where I'm wrong on this?

sooner_born_1960
8/17/2011, 10:31 AM
Maybe winning 3 games at Eastern Michigan is damn near impossible?

MichiganSooner
8/17/2011, 10:35 AM
Who is Todd Monken?

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 10:45 AM
In all seriousness, I think OSU is going to be one of the most interesting teams in the country to watch this year. They could either be elite good, or somehow find a way to drop games they shouldn't. I sincerely hope they drop only one game all year long.

OUMallen
8/17/2011, 10:57 AM
Plenty of talent and a returned o-line. They'll miss Holgerson more than they care to admit.

They'll drop 2 games, 1 of which they shouldn't. If the Big XII were stronger, they'd drop 3.

htownsooner7
8/17/2011, 11:20 AM
I feels the same way about Texas New DC, Manny Diaz. Last year he was the DC for Miss St which finished 21st in total D, I guess that's pretty decent. 2 years ago he was DC for Midd Tenn State Blue Raiders. Somehow I think playing us, OSU, and Texas Tech will be a little different than gearing up for Arky State and UL-MOnroe. The accomplishments listed prior to that include being "safeties coach" at NC State in 2004 and 2005 and "linebackers coach" before that. Anyone else think Diaz is way overhyped at this point??

Quik Sand
8/17/2011, 12:18 PM
Their offense has been pretty good to really good since 2006, regardless of who was calling the plays. I do not see this changing without major injuries. Their problems have always been stopping people....which even their savior Bill Young has not been able to do (with exception to the Kansas, KSU, Iowa State's of the world). They have a terrific Oline coach and good skill position players. I would be more on your side had we seen a drop off somewhere since 06 (Gundy, Fedora, Holgerson).

achiro
8/17/2011, 12:37 PM
Their offense has been pretty good to really good since 2006, regardless of who was calling the plays. I do not see this changing without major injuries. Their problems have always been stopping people....which even their savior Bill Young has not been able to do (with exception to the Kansas, KSU, Iowa State's of the world). They have a terrific Oline coach and good skill position players. I would be more on your side had we seen a drop off somewhere since 06 (Gundy, Fedora, Holgerson).

I may be wrong(don't know what the per game scoring average was for each) but I don't think Gundy/Fedora had near the offensive play calling ability that Holgerson had for them. In fact, Gundy was good but I seem to remember a couple of pretty bad screw ups on his part that hurt them. I do think Holgerson is good at making an offense look better talent wise than they are. The real question is, does this team have enough talent to overcome some shortcomings of an OC and how short those comings will be? ;)

oumartin
8/17/2011, 12:41 PM
I heard Brandon Weeden has developed arthritis in his throwing arm and both knees.

NormanPride
8/17/2011, 12:45 PM
I heard he was grumpy in practice the other day because his social security check was late.

TheresOnlyOne
8/17/2011, 01:02 PM
I heard he's losing the team cuz they're so pissed at him for keeping the thermostat at 82 in the locker room all the time...

Widescreen
8/17/2011, 01:07 PM
I heard he has to eat dinner alone because no one else wants to eat at 4PM.

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 01:07 PM
Nah, it's his insistence on eating at 4:45 P.M. that is really annoying the younger set.

badger
8/17/2011, 01:09 PM
I heard he convinced the coaches to move practices to the time he wakes up (4:30 a.m.) and curfew to the time he goes to bed (8 p.m.)

Keller Sooner
8/17/2011, 01:16 PM
Todd Monken? I've never heard of him.

Breadburner
8/17/2011, 01:31 PM
Damnit You GOOONERS....We have WEEDEN and BLACKMON....!!!!!! GET it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badger
8/17/2011, 01:37 PM
I heard Weeden still slips up and calls it "Oklahoma A&M" sometimes.

Quik Sand
8/17/2011, 01:41 PM
I may be wrong(don't know what the per game scoring average was for each) but I don't think Gundy/Fedora had near the offensive play calling ability that Holgerson had for them. In fact, Gundy was good but I seem to remember a couple of pretty bad screw ups on his part that hurt them. I do think Holgerson is good at making an offense look better talent wise than they are. The real question is, does this team have enough talent to overcome some shortcomings of an OC and how short those comings will be? ;)There is no doubt that both at times did that, I was speaking on a seasonal basis. They had good years on offense despite those instances. Only way I see their offense dropping off is if that Monken guy calls plays like Greg Davis.

oumartin
8/17/2011, 01:51 PM
I heard Weeden puts polydent on his mouthpiece

Mark_in_Tulsa
8/17/2011, 01:55 PM
What is a Todd Monken?

Fixed

Soonerwake
8/17/2011, 02:01 PM
I heard Weeden has some serious issues with the equipment staff because his Depends isn't secured right..

OSUAggie
8/17/2011, 02:06 PM
I may be wrong(don't know what the per game scoring average was for each) but I don't think Gundy/Fedora had near the offensive play calling ability that Holgerson had for them. In fact, Gundy was good but I seem to remember a couple of pretty bad screw ups on his part that hurt them. I do think Holgerson is good at making an offense look better talent wise than they are. The real question is, does this team have enough talent to overcome some shortcomings of an OC and how short those comings will be? ;)

'06 - 35/game (Fedora)
'07 - 35/game (Fedora)
'08 - 41/game (Gundy)
'09 - 28/game (Gundy)
'10 - 44/game (Holgorsen)

---------

We'll be fine on offense.

Key to the OSU season is getting pressure on the opposing QB. Do that consistently, it's an elite team. Don't do that, it's the same **** we've had for the last 5 years.

badger
8/17/2011, 02:09 PM
OSUAggie is a dependable OSU fan, not orange kool aid drinkers we were mocking earlier.

Oh wise one (and only one) of OSU, why exactly will this season's offense not take a step backward after Dana left?

yukonsooner
8/17/2011, 02:38 PM
I think Monken is only OC in name. In interviews with Weeden I got the impressession he was making the calls. Just my opinion

OSUAggie
8/18/2011, 12:43 PM
OSUAggie is a dependable OSU fan, not orange kool aid drinkers we were mocking earlier.

Oh wise one (and only one) of OSU, why exactly will this season's offense not take a step backward after Dana left?

1. Joe Wickline/OL.

He has been the constant on the offensive side of the ball over the last half-decade. And this will be his most talented line to date. Michael Bowie (JUCO originally signed out of Sand Springs) is the best athlete we've ever had on the OL, including Okung, and he nabbed the starting LT spot from returner Martinez, who has been shuffled to guard. Adcock will be a first-day pick at the other tackle position, and Rush, Garner and Taylor are back on the inside. Taylor is the weakest spot, but he's an above average/good player. The depth is there as well.

2. Brandon Weeden

Easily the most talented thrower we've ever had. Makes all the throws, knows the offense and understands how to implement its components with maximum efficiency.

3. Talented skill players

OL takes care of Weeden, Weeden is talented and smart enough to get people the football in an area on the field where they can find success, and the guys that are making the plays are talented.

Blackmon is the best at what he does, according to the people that hand out trophies.

Cooper is a reliable target that always gets himself open and secures the ball.

8 other guys of varying ability are vying for the other two pass-catching positions. Some had marginal impact a year ago, others had none. They will have more opportunities this season with Bowling gone.

We're deeper at the running position than we've been since Bell/Morency/Shaw. Randle is also a supreme threat as a receiver, and he has managed to hit another gear with his speed (my only previous knock on him). Smith is explosive through the hole and runs tough, but doesn't have top end speed. He's a reliable bigger back in the mold of VMo, but not quite as shifty. Sims is turning heads and will have a big chance to make plays. Roland, another TFR, will also have a chance early to prove he deserves some touches.

Those 4 guys are talented and will better serve our running game than a tentative Hunter did at the end of '10.

Re: Monken, he studied Dana's offense and learned the terminology from Weeden, so everything is the same in the players' eyes. Monken will install a few wrinkles geared toward running the ball a bit better and having a more physical attitude up front (which I think is sorely needed). The only unknown I have with him is his ability to adjust what we're doing during the game. Dana was very good at this (though slightly overrated IMO). Monken will have to prove he's able to handle it.

Gundy will be able to see what the script is and will obviously suggest some adjustments. I think this is where he shines as an "offensive mind". I think he pretty much sucks at calling out plays during a game, however.

---------

Again, we're going to be fine offensively ... 35+/game.

Defensively, our mentality needs to shift a bit from "let's cause a turnover" to "let's get the **** off the field on 3rd down". This is going to be best accomplished by getting to the opposing quarterback a bit quicker than our previous 42-second pass rush accomplished. This is also a massive ? that will not have an answer given until those key moments against A&M, Mizzou and OU.

yukonsooner
8/18/2011, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=OSUAggie;3321953]

Re: Monken, he studied Dana's offense and learned the terminology from Weeden, so everything is the same in the players' eyes.

As I said before, Monken is learning from Weeden. Who is actually calling the plays?........

badger
8/18/2011, 01:06 PM
I hear that OSU is not recruiting any running backs in the next class except for Barry J. Does this concern you at all, or are you among those that think there's no doubt that he will follow his daddy straight to OSU without considering the bigger programs recruiting him, like Bammer?

Given the fact that you usually have very realistic (and perhaps a bit cheeky) remarks about how OSU has helped OU win the Big 12 and go to the BCS repeatedly over the years, how do you anticipate OSU will help OU this year? :D

OSUAggie
8/18/2011, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=OSUAggie;3321953]
As I said before, Monken is learning from Weeden. Who is actually calling the plays?........

Well, Weeden will make a lot of calls like he did last year.

But Monken is calling plays, or at least giving direction on what needs to happen. Weeden was just working with Monken on terminology, not showing him how football works on an etch-a-sketch, or whatever.

I hear that OSU is not recruiting any running backs in the next class except for Barry J. Does this concern you at all, or are you among those that think there's no doubt that he will follow his daddy straight to OSU without considering the bigger programs recruiting him, like Bammer?

Given the fact that you usually have very realistic (and perhaps a bit cheeky) remarks about how OSU has helped OU win the Big 12 and go to the BCS repeatedly over the years, how do you anticipate OSU will help OU this year? :D

I don't think we'll get BJ, but that's because I'm pessimistic regarding our recruiting, especially with guys that we *should* land... Lofton, for example. Some that know him/his family think he'll come to Stillwater, others think he's FSU or Stanford. It appears he won't be going to a conference foe, so I'm happy with that.

But I never worry about our running backs. Been a while since we were without a quality back. This staff has proven to be superior evaluators on the offensive side of the ball, even with guys we miss.

Never good to predict how we'll gift wrap something this year. Even if I came forth with something too outlandish to believe, the play on the field would somehow top it.

LSUdeek
8/18/2011, 04:04 PM
Monken came to LSU with Miles in 05, and spent 2 seasons as our WR/Passing Game Coordinator. He left to go to the Jags, upset that he didn't get the OC job after Jimbo left. Great WR coach, without a doubt. Unable to state anything of certainty regarding his skills as an OC.

yukonsooner
8/18/2011, 04:09 PM
You didn't really get what I was saying. IMHO I find Weeden to be extremely arrogant. In the interviews with him he seems to give the impression that there is no worry about Dana being gone, because he, Weeden, knows all the plays and he will pass the info on to the others.

Scott D
8/18/2011, 04:13 PM
he should sound that way. Weeden was in college when they still drew plays in the dirt because paper hadn't been invented yet.

OSUAggie
8/18/2011, 06:06 PM
You didn't really get what I was saying. IMHO I find Weeden to be extremely arrogant. In the interviews with him he seems to give the impression that there is no worry about Dana being gone, because he, Weeden, knows all the plays and he will pass the info on to the others.

I would say BW has a tremendous grasp on things and a supreme confidence in himself and his teammates on that side of the ball. I agree he feels the transition is, or will be, seamless because of that. I get the impression you think Weeden feels as if he runs the show on offense based on his attitude/words, but I don't really get that sense. He speaks highly of Monken's football iq from what I've seen, and appears to respect him.

I think there will be more "wrinkles" in the 2012 version of the offense, mostly because BW is a veteran guy and the system produced wonderfully with him making a good bit of the calls a year ago. Compared to Chelf's experience, I think that's a natural expectation. I guess we will see. Thank Allah.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/18/2011, 06:12 PM
Blackmon makes Weeden a hell of a lot better than he is. Nothing wrong with that of course since Black is downright unstoppable, but Weeden will get exposed badly in the NFL. Way too many "please catch it!"s' from Weeden.

Wickline is the best offensive line coach in the country; I wish we had him.

goingoneight
8/18/2011, 06:16 PM
Well, here's what I gather... Monken favors a pro-style offense like what Les Miles and Gundy ran circa 2001-2004. This could help them even more than Holgerson's Mike Leach approach. Year one at OC for him in Stillwater couldn't be any easier a project. In that way, he's similar to Josh Heupel.

Now, where OSU's OC differs from OU's is he's coming into a situation where he needs to slowly tweek his offense to add his style. You don't just magically go from a Mike Leach-style offense to a good running game. Just ask Tommy Tuberville. OSU has all the personnel in place to do what Monken wants to do. They have the OL and the skill guys in place. Some question what they'll do without Hunter, but I was never convinced he was the second coming of Barry Sanders as some Pokes would have you believe. He was good, but not irreplaceable. Especially since what I saw out of Smith and Randle suggests they'll be fine. Maybe not a Kendall Hunter, but still just fine. Randle to me looked like a very young DeMarco Murray, FTR.

All that said... year one will be the typical Gundyball season... lots of points and OP.com threads about which player is better than [insert OU player name here]. if I'm an OSU fan, I wouldn't listen to Robert Allen's sunshine pumping and listen more closely to Bill Young and Mike Gundy criticizing the defense from time to time. They weren't great last year, but they made a difference in a few games. Gundy's "we've got a talented group that needs to grow up quickly" comment should raise an eyebrow or two. If they have a big defensive problem, they could be in trouble against A&M and Missouri on the road. Sure, you can go and score 35 or more points, but can you stop the opposition from scoring more than you? OSU is no stranger to heartbreakers thanks to defensive meltdowns.

yukonsooner
8/18/2011, 08:47 PM
I don't know about any of you, but when I take over a job someone else has had I don't want to hear this is how they did it, their way was better, this has always worked. I feel that is what is being done by Weeden and the others in regard to Monken. There is a difference between being confident and arrogant. Weeden is arrogant, "I played pro ball, I'm older and wiser than many of the grad assistants, I can teach Monken about how we did it last year, yada,yada,yade....." He may not say so in so many words but that's the impression I get from him in interviews.

Seamus
8/18/2011, 09:06 PM
Who is Todd Monken?

Todd Monken (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=todd+monken)

cleller
8/18/2011, 09:34 PM
Weeden. A less talented Weinke.

oumartin
8/18/2011, 09:38 PM
Weeden has to call alot of his plays cuz he's so old he can't remember what the play brought in from the sideline nor can he see the sideline well enough for hand signals.

Sooner_Tuf
8/21/2011, 10:56 PM
He has one year of experience. He's a newb. He's a decent QB, probably even great for OSU's level of play.

Failing at one sport doesn't make you great in another :D

yukonsooner
8/22/2011, 09:30 AM
I don't know how to do the link thing, but I found this on Soonersports.com, in an article "Big 12 Forecast" by Rivals on Yahoo Sport

Oklahoma State will average a full touchdown less per game under new offensive coordinator Todd Monken than it did in 2010 under departed spread mastermind Dana Holgorsen. The scheme is the same, as is most of the personnel — most notably prolific quarterback Brandon Weeden and All-Universe receiver Justin Blackmon. But when Monken arrived in the spring, it was Weeden who took on the role of teaching the offense to his coach, a bad sign for matching last year's bombastic totals

This is what I have been saying about the Weeden/Monken relationship

Sooner_Tuf
8/22/2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah like most things orange they exaggerate the quality of almost everything they have. This I know because they own almost no hardware.

The real deals in Stillwater are Blackmon. Not the best receiver alive or ever but he is a damn good one. The best thing is Stillwater IMO is Wickline. He could be the luckiest guy alive but I don't think so. But his lines just get better and better. They never regress even without elite recruits. He's able to get the kids to work, to learn and to perform up to or exceeding their abilities. He has quite a bit of history at being awesome at doing his job.

OU_Sooners75
8/22/2011, 01:42 PM
Monken was there when OSU last beat OU.

But he is also only the OC in title alone. Mike Gundy is really in charge of that offense. Monken is just another set of eyes!