PDA

View Full Version : End of the NCAA?

delhalew
8/17/2011, 07:56 AM
Interesting take on recent events.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-08/um-violations/story/miami-allegations-bring-game-closer-to-wild-wild-west-nevin-shapiro-yahoo

For years, some of the sport’s biggest programs and administrators have kicked around the idea of taking their ball and playing by their rules. The 50 or so biggest college football programs would break away from the NCAA, start their own association and get down and dirty.

Basically, the wild, wild West.

SunnySooner
8/17/2011, 08:26 AM
The NCAA has a complete Lack of Institutional Control, it seems. ;)

IDK what the answer is, people are greedy, the love of money is the root of all evil, and there is SOOOO much money involved in big time college football, many of those involved will do whatever they can to try to win, and it's gotten too big and too widespread to police. Their is no honor code, anymore. Sad days for college football.

brainpimp
8/17/2011, 08:34 AM
If they do they will kill themselves because what they are describing is called the NFL.

The NFL has fought to be hands off. You pull those moves and they will start poaching just like the NBA.

It will be a self inflicted wound.

fadada1
8/17/2011, 09:02 AM
crazy stuff. not that this kind of stuff hasn't been happening for years (MANY years), i think one of the reasons things have become even more visible is social networking sites and cell phones. couple that with a 20 year old's inability to keep their mouth shut, and you are going to have a ****storm of problems. information (good and bad) is simply too easily passed along these days.

imo, the ncaa is partially at fault. they are the ones, after all, that are suppose to monitor these situations. the rest of the responsibility falls to the coach(es) and university. on the surface, it appears, that stoops is in control - the bomar incident is a perfect example. while he had no knowledge of the happening at the time, as soon as it was discovered, it was dealt with swiftly and harshly - as it should be. if coaches have knowledge of wrongdoings, they are just as guilty as the players.

we, as OU fans/alumni, should realize better than most the importance of playing by the rules. it destroyed us once, and it could kill us if it ever happened again. personally (as a fan), i have little tolerance for such nonsense. you know the rules are being broken, and you should be ready to accept the consequences should you get caught.

rekamrettuB
8/17/2011, 09:03 AM
And in 5-10 minutes people will be bitching like crazy over this new "association".

fadada1
8/17/2011, 09:06 AM
And in 5-10 minutes people will be bitching like crazy over this new "association".

but if they have a playoff, they'll be gods!!!!

sooner_born_1960
8/17/2011, 09:08 AM
What NCAA rule would this new Collegiate Athletic Association change. And, why?

delhalew
8/17/2011, 09:18 AM
What NCAA rule would this new Collegiate Athletic Association change. And, why?

No rules. It's basically what Delaney, Slive, and others have used to threaten the BSUs and Utahs of the world. Keep rocking the boat, and we'll walk away from the NCAA to form a league were our money and power will make it impossible for the little guy to compete. Just like the days when we were stacking championships to the rafters.

Without the BCS and NCAA, the little guys don't stand a chance.

Edit: Obviously, they would have to have some structure. I don't know what it would be, but I doubt it would resemble the NCAA.

I just hope the would at least attempt to keep the kids in school. One and domes are a disaster.

OhU1
8/17/2011, 02:14 PM
I love college football but money and greed might destroy this great game. "Super conferences" with teams from far flung regions is a recipe for boredom as far as I'm concerned. With so many teams in a conference it gets watered down. Look at Big East Basketball.

What happens if regional teams split ways - no Texas vs. Texas A&M? What is next? No bedlam game? No Red River Rivalry? We've already lost OU/Nebraska. How fun is it to play teams you don't care about? Not near as much fun as playing a "hated" rival.

College football is already semi-pro in every way but name. Greed and extreme commercialization of college football seems to be driving a lot of back room deals over the last few years. The trend seems to be getting worse.

I do have a suggestion for the name of the new league: "The ESPN 50".

delhalew
8/17/2011, 02:30 PM
I love college football but money and greed might destroy this great game. "Super conferences" with teams from far flung regions is a recipe for boredom as far as I'm concerned. With so many teams in a conference it gets watered down. Look at Big East Basketball.

What happens if regional teams split ways - no Texas vs. Texas A&M? What is next? No OU-OSU game? No Red River Rivalry? We've already lost OU/Nebraska. How fun is it to play teams you don't care about? Not near as much fun as playing a "hated" rival.

College football is already semi-pro in every way but name. Greed and extreme commercialization of college football seems to be driving a lot of back room deals over the last few years. The trend seems to be getting worse.

I do have a suggestion for the name of the new league: "The ESPN 50".

This is true. I am reluctant to cheer for diluted super conferences. Unfortunately, the Big12 is broken...so whatever.

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 02:41 PM
I think it would be funny that if it did happen that Nebraska would end up in the Big XII again and be told it was forever and if they didn't like it they could go back to the NCAA and the lower 60 Teams. Colorado would get moved to the Mountain West and be told that extra drug testing would be required over all 12 Months of the year for all athletes. :D

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 02:46 PM
The NFL should just create a semi-pro league for 18-23 year olds as a farm system to rival the big business CFB. Then, kids can decide to destroy their future without a college education to back it up, or they can go to college and hope to make the NFL. At least they'd get paid to play in the farm system and not have to worry about eligibilty concerns like so many want.

Brophog
8/17/2011, 03:59 PM
The NFL should just create a semi-pro league for 18-23 year olds as a farm system to rival the big business CFB. Then, kids can decide to destroy their future without a college education to back it up, or they can go to college and hope to make the NFL. At least they'd get paid to play in the farm system and not have to worry about eligibilty concerns like so many want.

Kinda sounds like what every other country in the world does.