PDA

View Full Version : UM is finished

Pages : [1] 2

SoonerNate
8/16/2011, 05:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_08 1611

A former University of Miami booster, incarcerated for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has told Yahoo! Sports he provided thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 athletes from 2002 through 2010.

Death Penalty?

LVSOONER15
8/16/2011, 05:33 PM
:eek: Wow

AlboSooner
8/16/2011, 05:36 PM
how awesome is yahoo sports?!

tommieharris91
8/16/2011, 05:39 PM
“It’s all true,” said one of Shapiro’s ex-girlfriends, who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of reprisals from former Miami players. “He took care of them. What does that mean? It has a lot of meanings. He took care of them by giving cash to make sure they had stuff. He took care of them whenever they wanted to go party. He took care of them by getting them laid. He took care of them if they needed a place to stay. Whatever they needed, at that moment they needed it, Nevin would provide it. Whether it was sex, money, meals, a new TV, if their mother needed something, if they needed a new ring or some jewelry – whatever they needed, Nevin would provide it.”

Prostitution: Shapiro named 39 Miami players or prospective recruits who he says received prostitution paid for by the booster. Due to the sensitivity of the claims, Yahoo! Sports has chosen not to reveal the names of the players Shapiro claims were involved. However, two players confirmed the booster paid for sexual favors for themselves and others during their careers with the Hurricanes.

http://pungunsun.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/guillotine1.jpg

badger
8/16/2011, 05:40 PM
Convenient how his timeframe covers the seasons after their last national title. But, if they want to take away their win over us from 2009, cool.

3rdgensooner
8/16/2011, 05:40 PM
They're ****ing soldjas!

badger
8/16/2011, 05:51 PM
btw, this is absolutely why coaches, boosters, players, everyone should try to follow the rules, regardless of whether or not they can foresee the consequences later.

As Michael Vick learned, "friends" will abandon you if it means a lesser prison sentence.

As OJ Mayo and Reggie Bush learned, a school will shun you afterward to get a lesser NCAA sentence and "friends" will turn you in to media for attention or hopes of payment.

As many an SEC booster has learned, an entire fanbase and university you thought you were doing so much for will turn against you if it means NCAA punishments for the beloved players and team.

As Butch Davis and Jim Tressel have learned, programs will dump you immediately if it means less NCAA punishment.

Follow the damn rules!

En_Fuego
8/16/2011, 05:57 PM
:pop:

sooneredaco
8/16/2011, 05:58 PM
done

JiuJitsuSooner
8/16/2011, 06:01 PM
Man, Naw

MountainOkie
8/16/2011, 06:03 PM
Yuck.

SoonerNate
8/16/2011, 06:04 PM
Man, Naw

You in Palm Beach?

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2011, 06:06 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-08-16/impermissable-benefits-rampant-miami-yahoo-report-nevin-shapiro
Prostitutes, I tell ya prostitutes.

Lott's Bandana
8/16/2011, 06:07 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-08-16/impermissable-benefits-rampant-miami-yahoo-report-nevin-shapiro
Prostitutes, I tell ya prostitutes.

Down there, aren't they called Hoes?

MeMyself&Me
8/16/2011, 06:08 PM
Death Penalty?

Regardless of transgressions, the Death Penalty only applies if they were on probation when the transgressions occurred. Were they on probation when this happened? If not, the death penalty can not be used per NCAA rules.

SoonerMom2
8/16/2011, 06:11 PM
From ESPN:

Miami Hurricanes coach Al Golden says some of his players may have made mistakes that prompted an NCAA investigation into convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro's role with the program.

Golden, preparing for his first season with the Hurricanes, said he just became aware of the investigation into allegations that Shapiro gave more than a dozen former or current players gifts and services.

JLEW1818
8/16/2011, 06:14 PM
lol

SoonerMom2
8/16/2011, 06:15 PM
From CBS Sports: Former Miami booster and indicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro provided thousands of dollars in impermissible benefits to "at least 72 student-athletes" between 2002 and 2010, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

The investigation included over 100 hours of jailhouse interviews with Shapiro, along with financial records and corroboration from several sources - including former Miami players - to support the claims. Among the most alarming details to the program include seven former coaches and three athletic support staff who either witnessed, had knowledge of, or even participated in Shapiro committing all kinds of NCAA violations. The report details the life of a rampant rule-breaker who was never told to stop.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/31352841

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2011, 06:20 PM
Down there, aren't they called Hoes?In the Big XII they call them Tri Delts.;) Except at atm and osu, they call them dates that say Baa.

picasso
8/16/2011, 06:20 PM
I don't think anyone will ever get the death penalty again. That is unless the Nazis start up a football program.

MeMyself&Me
8/16/2011, 06:22 PM
I don't think anyone will ever get the death penalty again. That is unless the Nazis start up a football program.

I agree but that doesn't stop people from bringing it up everytime the rules are broken... even if the death penalty isn't applicable.

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 06:23 PM
If Prostitution were Legal marriage would become obsolete.;)

Sooner_Tuf
8/16/2011, 06:30 PM
How far can they go back? Isn't it four years?

Sooner_Tuf
8/16/2011, 06:31 PM
If Prostitution were Legal marriage would become obsolete.;)

It would be cheaper. You could just run down to WalMart and get you some.

Lott's Bandana

Aggie seems to think one already resides in their fair state.

I Am Right
Whoa, DONE!

Mike Stoops
8/16/2011, 06:33 PM
I would rather see this happen at Auburn or LSU. I don't have any love for the U but prez Donna Shalala has been trying to undermine the football program for years. Half of their fanbase during the glory years jumped on the Gator bandwagon anyway.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/16/2011, 06:33 PM

here we call em whorns

SoonerSeattle
8/16/2011, 06:37 PM

"Perhaps most troubling is Shapiro’s sustained impropriety could trigger the NCAA’s “willful violations” exception to its four-year statute of limitations. Under bylaw 36.2.3, an investigation can expand beyond the statute if information reveals that an individual tied to a university has engaged in “a pattern of willful violations” over a sustained period beyond the previous four years."

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 06:43 PM

I read in one of those articles that 4 years was the limit unless it ties inwith stuff from the same group then they can go back however long.

Hell I might even start going to Wally world if that were the case.:D

delhalew
8/16/2011, 06:44 PM
It's a good thing Shannon cleaned things up around there....

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 06:45 PM
"Perhaps most troubling is Shapiro’s sustained impropriety could trigger the NCAA’s “willful violations” exception to its four-year statute of limitations. Under bylaw 36.2.3, an investigation can expand beyond the statute if information reveals that an individual tied to a university has engaged in “a pattern of willful violations” over a sustained period beyond the previous four years."

This is what I was Mumbling about.:O

delhalew
8/16/2011, 06:46 PM

You don't pay for the sex. You pay them to leave.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 06:51 PM
NCAA isn't done with Auburn yet. That will probably take a couple more years and some average seasons before they say anything on the Tigers, even if it's that they found no wrongdoing.

Mjcpr
8/16/2011, 06:54 PM
I am shocked. Shocked!

Mike Stoops
8/16/2011, 07:03 PM
NCAA isn't done with Auburn yet. That will probably take a couple more years and some average seasons before they say anything on the Tigers, even if it's that they found no wrongdoing.

Auburn could use a humbling. Their fans have gotten pretty mouthy on OU message boards and YouTube pages. LSU fans acted the same way after 03. It seems like fans that aren't used to success don't know how to act. Bama fans don't act like that.

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2011, 07:03 PM
I cant wait until T Boone lands in prison.

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2011, 07:05 PM
Auburn could use a humbling. Their fans have gotten pretty mouthy on OU message boards and YouTube pages. LSU fans acted the same way after 03. It seems like fans that aren't used to success don't know how to act. Bama fans don't act like that.Act like youve been there before.

JLEW1818
8/16/2011, 07:06 PM
ThugU suck it

SoonerinSouthlake
8/16/2011, 07:08 PM
I cant wait until T Boone lands in prison.

for reals?

I always thought, other than trying to turn a spare university into a player, he was a pretty solid citizen.

did i miss some sort of insider trading story? Seriously

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 07:17 PM
O I GET IT... A BLACK MAN CAN'T ENJOY SOME COKE N HOOKERS PROVIDED BY A FINE UPSTANDING BUSINESSMAN AND MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY WITHOUT SOME WHITE DUDE IN A SUIT GETTIN ALL UP IN HIS FACE, HUH??

SoonerNate
8/16/2011, 07:17 PM
Donna Shalala needs to turn in her resignation first thing tomorrow.

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 07:18 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer program. I was at the 'O9 game, with my son, his first OU game, as you all know, worst fans ever, but I figured they wouldn't pick on a chick and a little kid. Wrong. Effin bunch of Guido wannabes.

Anyway, GO NCAA!!! THROW THE BOOK!!! THROW THE WHOLE DANG SHELF!!!!!!! Blech.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 07:19 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer program. I was at the 'O9 game, with my son, his first OU game, as you all know, worst fans ever, but I figured they wouldn't pick on a chick and a little kid. Wrong. Effin bunch of Guido wannabes.

Sad thing is, the Miami fans you described can't read, so they won't know until someone tells them, and unfortunately their circles of friends are also all illiterate.

SoonerNate
8/16/2011, 07:26 PM

I was there as well. They were getting in my face. I hate them.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 07:31 PM
Also, the Florida and Florida State bandwagons are about to get heavier.

picasso
8/16/2011, 07:40 PM

There was two of 'em flippin' off our flag during The National Anthem.

Phil
8/16/2011, 07:41 PM

This. I actually got a personal apology (via e-mail) from Kirby Hocutt, the Miami AD, over that nonsense. I had met him a few times when he was in development at OU, and he apparently remembered me when I sent him an e-mail to complain about having had to take my life in my hands to get from the stadium to the car.

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 07:49 PM
for reals?

I always thought, other than trying to turn a spare university into a player, he was a pretty solid citizen.

Hes a Thief, He stole concrete a few years ago.:D

SoonerNate
8/16/2011, 07:50 PM
This. I actually got a personal apology (via e-mail) from Kirby Hocutt, the Miami AD, over that nonsense. I had met him a few times when he was in development at OU, and he apparently remembered me when I sent him an e-mail to complain about having had to take my life in my hands to get from the stadium to the car.

It was really bad. I was embarrassed to live down here.

Collier11
8/16/2011, 08:08 PM
Lets face it, there is no way to properly police college athletics...the key is, what is the solution?

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 08:12 PM

We had a group of 4 or 5 actual normal looking guys who were--get this--ALUMS--come up to us and profusely apologize for the poor behavior of the other fans. They said they had been to Norman in '07 for the total waxing we put on them in that game, and that they had been treated like royalty, their money had been no good that day, everyone buying their beer or welcoming them to the tailgate, and that they hoped that someday their fanbase would be as classy as OUrs. Really.

So, for those guys, I feel kinda bad. For all the other *******s that got in our face that day, BWAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH!!!!

85sooners
8/16/2011, 08:18 PM
lol

bluedogok
8/16/2011, 08:22 PM
for reals?

He's a thief, always has been, always will be.

DarrellZero
8/16/2011, 08:40 PM
for reals?

Not so solid.

Raided a bunch of pension funds in the 80s and ruined more than a few lives, just because he could.

This whole "shower OSU with $" business is based in part on his feelings of guilt about how he got the money, IMO.

sooneredaco
8/16/2011, 08:45 PM
So who's more hated... LSU fans or Miami fans? They both suck I know... But IMO it's the Tiga Bait!!!!!!!!

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 08:47 PM
So who's more hated... LSU fans or Miami fans? They both suck I know... But IMO it's the Tiga Bait!!!!!!!!

"geaux tigers" is so heauxmeaux.

CBUS_SOONER
8/16/2011, 08:48 PM
don't fu!k with yahoo. They will get a slap on the wrist

delhalew
8/16/2011, 08:50 PM
We had a group of 4 or 5 actual normal looking guys who were--get this--ALUMS--come up to us and profusely apologize for the poor behavior of the other fans. They said they had been to Norman in '07 for the total waxing we put on them in that game, and that they had been treated like royalty, their money had been no good that day, everyone buying their beer or welcoming them to the tailgate, and that they hoped that someday their fanbase would be as classy as OUrs. Really.

So, for those guys, I feel kinda bad. For all the other *******s that got in our face that day, BWAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH!!!!

The ones that terrorized you and your boy, won't GAS. They just needed a place to be drunk *******s that night.

DarrellZero
8/16/2011, 08:53 PM

I have a feeling their fanbase will consist only of alums after the 10 years of probation they're going to get for this. So it might work out like they hoped.

Soonermagik
8/16/2011, 08:56 PM
Miami will get the death penalty for this!! If I were Al Golden I would leave today!!!!

kbsooner
8/16/2011, 08:57 PM
Is this the other story Yahoo was working on that would blow the Ohio St story out of the water? I think that was an understatement...

oumartin
8/16/2011, 08:59 PM
I personally think the resurgance of FSU in recruiting is probably being done on the shady side. I bet you Florida, LSU, Bama, and almost any top tier program is breaking the rules. Obviously OU has done it and Bob does his best to keep it from happening. I personally think coaches at these programs probably know it goes on more than they will ever say.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 09:04 PM
I've heard stories of even Div. III guys getting handfuls of cash from one of their program's 5 boosters. It does go on everywhere and anyone who thinks their school is completely clean is ignorant. The NCAA is just inconsistent in the enforcement of its own rules.

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 09:05 PM
The NCAA is just inconsistent in the enforcement of its own rules.

more like doesn't have the manpower to monitor the activities of all the student athletes at every ncaa member institution simultaneously.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 09:08 PM
more like doesn't have the manpower to monitor the activities of all the student athletes at every ncaa member institution simultaneously.

Sure, that's part of it. The NCAA also plays favorites in the attempt to protect its business so they can still make money, though.

Mike Stoops
8/16/2011, 09:12 PM
I personally think the resurgance of FSU in recruiting is probably being done on the shady side. I bet you Florida, LSU, Bama, and almost any top tier program is breaking the rules. Obviously OU has done it and Bob does his best to keep it from happening. I personally think coaches at these programs probably know it goes on more than they will ever say.

Jimbo Fisher sure went from mild-mannered assistant to recruiting rock star in a hurry didn't he?

Sooner_Tuf
8/16/2011, 09:16 PM
You don't pay for the sex. You pay them to leave.

You are mistaken. You are also forgiven as you haven't seen what I look like.

OutlandTrophy
8/16/2011, 09:18 PM
The NCAA needs to ban coaches that break the rules if they really want to keep things clean. It's dumb for the school to be the only entity punished and the coaches can just go to another university as if nothing ever happened.

Sooner_Tuf
8/16/2011, 09:24 PM
for reals?

He hasn't done anything straight up in my lifetime. He's been a teat on everyone and everything he has had contact with.

I'm sure it will come out that he's just using OSU to launder money. He doesn't donate to OSU. He donates to Cowboy Athletes Inc, which he and Mike Holder own. They use that money to secure private loans for the University. Naturally that money seems to disappear in one of his hedge funds.

Someday the Oklahoma taxpayers will be making those payments for OSU. This isn't the first school he has done this to. This is just the biggest school to be dumb enough to fall for it.

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 09:29 PM
He hasn't done anything straight up in my lifetime. He's been a teat on everyone and everything he has had contact with.

I'm sure it will come out that he's just using OSU to launder money. He doesn't donate to OSU. He donates to Cowboy Athletes Inc, which he and Mike Holder own. They use that money to secure private loans for the University. Naturally that money seems to disappear in one of his hedge funds.

Someday the Oklahoma taxpayers will be making those payments for OSU. This isn't the first school he has done this to. This is just the biggest school to be dumb enough to fall for it.

its state law in oklahoma that any private donation to a state college or university be matched dollar for dollar by the taxpayers, so every time that mega ****** gives money to the orange retards, we all gotta give money to the orange retards.

SoonerMom2
8/16/2011, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't trust Boone Pickens if he said the sky was blue. I would have to go check. I have always thought him and Holder were not on the up and up. Maybe the NCAA will read this thread. :)

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 09:51 PM
its state law in oklahoma that any private donation to a state college or university be matched dollar for dollar by the taxpayers, so every time that mega ****** gives money to the orange retards, we all gotta give money to the orange retards.

Gomer, Do you just lay awake nites and dream this **** up?

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 09:59 PM

no. we did a story about how much boone's donations were costing the taxpayers.

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 10:02 PM
no. we did a story about how much boone's donations were costing the taxpayers.

Link?

kevpks
8/16/2011, 10:13 PM

I'm aware of a commitment by the legislature to match private donations for endowed faculty chairs:

The Oklahoma Legislature’s commitment to match private donations for endowed faculty chairs just got more difficult with an Ohio couple’s $2 million gift to OU to create a chair in anthropology and archaeology.

http://oudaily.com/news/2011/mar/28/state-debt-ou-grows-2m/

However, as far as matching dollar for dollar for donations to athletic departments or other areas I have a feeling "that's not true!"

prrriiide
8/16/2011, 10:15 PM
Regardless of transgressions, the Death Penalty only applies if they were on probation when the transgressions occurred. Were they on probation when this happened? If not, the death penalty can not be used per NCAA rules.

The UM Baseball team was on proby from 2003 - 2005, exactly the time frame during which Shapiro was operating. The allegations do not have to be in the same sport for repeat-violator penalties to apply:

19.5.2.1 Repeat Violators.

19.5.2.1.1 Time Period. An institution shall be considered a “repeat” violator if the Committee on Infractions finds that a major violation has occurred within five years of the starting date of a major penalty. For this provision to apply, at least one major violation must have occurred within five years after the starting date of the penalties in the previous case. It shall not be necessary that the Committee on Infractions’ hearing be conducted or its report issued within the five-year period. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)

19.5.2.1.2 Repeat-Violator Penalties. A repeat violator shall be subject to enhanced major violation penalties and any or all of the following additional penalties: (Revised: 1/11/94, 4/28/11; for any institution that receives notice of inquiry after 4/28/11)
(a) The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for a prescribed period as deemed appropriate by the Committee on Infractions and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement directly or indirectly in any coaching activities at the institution during that period; (Revised: 4/28/11)
(b) The elimination of all initial grants-in-aid and all recruiting activities in the sport involved in the latest major violation in question for a prescribed period; (Revised: 4/28/11)
(c) The requirement that all institutional staff members serving on the Board of Directors, Leadership Council, Legislative Council or other cabinets or committees of the Association resign those positions, it being understood that all institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a prescribed period; and (Revised: 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/28/11)
(d) The requirement that the institution relinquish its voting privilege in the Association for a prescribed period. (Revised: 4/28/11)

For reference, these are the allegations that got their baseball program into hot water:

Violation Sumary: Impermissible recruiting activity - tryouts; impermissible activities associated with sports club; impermissible financial aid; violation of honesty standards; impermissible recruiting contacts with athletics representatives and a failure to monitor.

That goes to the heart of the matter. UM should have been scared sh!tless about anything that was the third cousin twice removed of an agent's ex-wife.

AlboSooner
8/16/2011, 10:15 PM
I don't see how Miami will be relevant in football again. They will not get the death penalty, but they will be placed on life support.

JLEW1818
8/16/2011, 10:18 PM
Thugs deserve death.

finish them

opksooner
8/16/2011, 10:18 PM
From ESPN:

Miami Hurricanes coach Al Golden says some of his players may have made mistakes.........

Aw, come on guys. They're just 18 year old kids, doncha know? Everyone makes mistakes, ya know? Everyone deserves a second chance (to get it right and not get caught) Don't be too hard on 'em, they're just kids.

Right?

Anyone agree?

Anyone?

[chirp]

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 10:23 PM
Link?

gah!

can't find the link to the story... basically poke was whining that they hadn't recieved the state matching funds because the state didn't have the funds.

i'll call speno tomorrow and see if he remembers when he did the story and if it was archived.

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 10:26 PM
gah!

can't find the link to the story... basically poke was whining that they hadn't recieved the state matching funds because the state didn't have the funds.

i'll call speno tomorrow and see if he remembers when he did the story and if it was archived.

Make sure its about the Pesos that Tbone donated to the Football program.

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 10:32 PM
Welcome to Miami

Bienvinedo a miami....

It's a whole new ballgame, y'all...

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 10:37 PM
Welcome to Miami

Bienvinedo a miami....

It's a whole new ballgame, y'all...

They should give Miami back to the dayum Cubans ;)

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 10:40 PM

just the ****ty parts.

we'll hold on to south beach a little while longer... at least till all the hotties in bikinis find someplace else to go be hot.

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 10:42 PM
All of North Florida wants to cut South Florida off at the I-4 divide. Srsly. We can only hope.

landrun
8/16/2011, 10:44 PM
Yahoo! list 12 current players as being a part of this.
The implicated players are:
Ray-Ray Armstrong
Travis Benjamin
Dyron Dye
Marcus Forston
Jacory Harris
Aldarius Johnson
JoJo Nicolas
Adewale Ojomo
Marcus Robinson
Sean Spence
Vaughn Telemaque
Olivier Vernon

8 of them were listed as starters on the most recent depth chart. I read where these player have been dismissed from practice until this is investigated further.

Really, this could be huge. :eek:

Veritas
8/16/2011, 10:49 PM
finish them
http://itani15.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/mortal-kombat-finish-him.jpg

prrriiide
8/16/2011, 10:54 PM
Yahoo! list 12 current players as being a part of this.
The implicated players are:
Ray-Ray Armstrong
Travis Benjamin
Dyron Dye
Marcus Forston
Jacory (Little Manute) Harris
Aldarius Johnson
JoJo Nicolas
Adewale Ojomo
Marcus Robinson
Sean Spence
Vaughn Telemaque
Olivier Vernon

8 of them were listed as starters on the most recent depth chart. I read where these player have been dismissed from practice until this is investigated further.

Really, this could be huge. :eek:

FIFY

http://www.bestsportspicture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/manute-bol.jpg

http://humfer.net/gocanes/jharris.jpg

Skinny little effer...

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 10:55 PM
Thinks way past the HUGE point and moved into the Ginormous :eek:

2 Of Bamas assistant coaches are reportedly involved.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-miamiinvestigation-alabama

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 11:14 PM
Sucks to be them!!!! Did I say I heart Bob? 'Cause I do. A lot.

En_Fuego
8/16/2011, 11:15 PM
All I can add is;

If you look up "Rat Bastard" in the dictionary, Nevin Shapiro's picture would be there. What a coward little snitch.

GrapevineSooner
8/16/2011, 11:26 PM
All I can add is;

If you look up "Rat Bastard" in the dictionary, Nevin Shapiro's picture would be there. What a coward little snitch.

Yeah, Sherwood Blount would never do something like this.

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 11:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=dw-who_is_nevin_shapiro_081611

i love how he keeps referring to it as "my money"...

GrapevineSooner
8/16/2011, 11:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=dw-who_is_nevin_shapiro_081611

i love how he keeps referring to it as "my money"...

I'm sure Bernie Madoff considered it "his money" too.

sooner59
8/16/2011, 11:52 PM
That is one pizzed off former booster.

MeMyself&Me
8/17/2011, 12:18 AM
The UM Baseball team was on proby from 2003 - 2005, exactly the time frame during which Shapiro was operating. The allegations do not have to be in the same sport for repeat-violator penalties to apply:

For reference, these are the allegations that got their baseball program into hot water:

That goes to the heart of the matter. UM should have been scared sh!tless about anything that was the third cousin twice removed of an agent's ex-wife.

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to answer that question. I didn't mean for it to sound rhetorical cause I didn't know. I just know that when people usually call for the death penalty, it's not even applicable. Looks to be 'possible' here though.

However, I doubt they get the death penalty. I think the NCAA has decided that it is not only TOO devastating to the school involved but I also think the NCAA saw how the SMU deal effected the rest of the SWC... not just the targeted school.

sooner59
8/17/2011, 12:24 AM
I think there is zero percent chance of the death penalty, but I do see the biggest hit to any program in memory since then. More than SUC. Big time. Bad news for thug U fans. They might has well forget football exists for a while, because for them...well...that will be basically how it will feel.

MR2-Sooner86
8/17/2011, 12:36 AM
I'm just surprised that with all of this cheating they sucked as much as they did.

LASooner
8/17/2011, 12:59 AM
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a Miami Hurricane breaking NCAA rules.

Yeah, I really didn't have a smooth way to end that so I just went to the meat of it.

sooner59
8/17/2011, 01:00 AM
I'm just surprised that with all of this cheating they sucked as much as they did.

LOL! Took the words right out of my mouth. I wish one of the farkers would find a pic of Jacori Harris after we lost to Miami where he showed off his "swagger" hair cut and make it say cheater. That would be money. Woah, did I just say money? :D

SoonerNate
8/17/2011, 01:15 AM
This is so much worse than what SMU did. This is the biggest scandal in college sports history.

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 01:30 AM
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a Miami Hurricane breaking NCAA rules.

Yeah, I really didn't have a smooth way to end that so I just went to the meat of it.

http://kccollegegameday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/p1_miamimascot.jpg

SoonerNate
8/17/2011, 01:42 AM
R.I.P. Sebastian

JiuJitsuSooner
8/17/2011, 02:32 AM
It was really bad. I was embarrassed to live down here.

Me too

OUInformant
8/17/2011, 02:40 AM
Well, at least when FSU goes to the SEC, the ACC will only have 10 teams (as opposed to 11 with Miami).

SicEmBaylor
8/17/2011, 04:17 AM
Miami may not get the death penalty, but they ought to get something pretty close to it.

Sooner_Tuf
8/17/2011, 04:29 AM
Donna Shalalalalalalala isn't looking too swift. First the mortgage scandal, now this. Who would ever believe she was with the Clinton Administration ;)

prrriiide
8/17/2011, 05:30 AM
Here is a link to a list of current and former players, coaches, and recruits. Click through to see the allegations and corroborating evidence against each.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations;_ylt=AkuIZk4e_3fBUdx9BPp1rHFRMuB_

Including:

Allegations: Bryce Brown

Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided extra benefits to Bryce Brown (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-bryce_brown_allegations) and his family, and also had improper recruiting contact with the player. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
Bryce Brown
Position: Running back
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/08/ipt/1313211792.jpg
Rivals recruiting rank: Ranked as the No. 1 player overall in the Class of 2009.
Miami career: None. After initially committing to the Hurricanes, Brown ultimately signed with Tennessee and has since transferred to Kansas State. • A lunch at Smith & Wollensky on March 30, 2008, totaling $532 for Bryce Brown – who was being recruited heavily by the Hurricanes – Brown’s older brother Arthur Brown (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-arthur_brown_allegations), Brown’s parents, family adviser Brian Butler and Randy Phillips (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-randy_phillips_allegations).
• Two rooms at the Continental Oceanfront Hotel in late March 2008 for Bryce Brown, his parents, and family adviser Brian Butler. The bills totaled $1,110.19.
Corroborating accounts
• Yahoo! Sports acquired credit card records in Shapiro’s name and hotel bills showing two rooms at the Continental Oceanfront Hotel totaling $1,110.19. The hotel bills were paid on Shapiro’s American Express black card and listed “Arthur Brown” and “Brian Butler” on the bills for each room.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired credit card records from Shapiro’s American Express black card, showing a $532 charge at Smith & Wollensky on March 30, 2008. The charge overlaps with the dates on hotel bills listed in Arthur Brown (Sr.) and Brian Butler’s names.
In Shapiro’s words
• “I met with [him] one time. That was March 2008. He was on a [unofficial] visit, which I paid for the hotels in Miami Beach. The Continental, I think, was the name of the hotel at 1825 Collins Avenue. I put his parents up. I put his adviser up, Brian Butler.”
• “I had lunch with Randy Phillips, [Bryce Brown], his brother Arthur, his parents and his adviser and a female companion to the tune of $500 at Smith & Wollenskys. He was at that time the No. 1 high school recruit in the country according to Rivals. He verbally committed to Miami. They were recruiting him very hard. He de-committed after his brother [Arthur] decided to transfer [out of Miami].”

Also includes .pdf's of receipts from Brown's visit.

Again, the name Brian Butler comes oozing out between the commode and the floor...

Interesting reading...I like how they call it "entertainment" on Shapiro's yacht. Ya, I bet they wuz "entertained." No wonder they started sucking...they were all too hung over to play football.

There is about to be a smoking crater where the UM athletic dept. used to be.

Augusta_Sooner
8/17/2011, 07:39 AM
We all know that pretty much every school is breaking the rules to some degree, but when it's as blatant and rampant as this.....I'm surprised that Thug U would let this happen after they were hammered by the NCAA not too long ago. Gotta love Yahoo!Sports; they broke the Reggie Bush scandal and seem to have a lot of credibility in their reporting, unlike ESPN who just wants to be the first to break any story, true or not. Glad Stoops ultimately told Brown and his "handlers" to kiss his Crimson and Cream azz. Players who have "handlers" or "mentors" are nothing but trouble. Funny how these "handlers" and "mentors" aren't teachers, parents, other family members, priests, etc. Some people are just looking for a handout at the expense of a young athlete's collegiate career. Gotta blame the parents for the b.s. that goes on during the recruiting process. However, once their kid arrives on campus, it's up to that "student-athlete" to do the right thing.

delhalew
8/17/2011, 07:43 AM
Yahoo keeps this up, and they'll have college ball cleaned up in no time.:D

birddog
8/17/2011, 08:00 AM
the NCAA really should look into random AIDS tests now.

jkjsooner
8/17/2011, 08:03 AM
This is so much worse than what SMU did. This is the biggest scandal in college sports history.

SMU had meetings that involved the school president and regents where they concluded that they have to keep paying players. I don't think you can say this is bigger than that.

unbiasedtruth
8/17/2011, 08:11 AM
Miami may not get the death penalty, but they ought to get something pretty close to it.

like move their football program to Waco????? :D

jkjsooner
8/17/2011, 08:13 AM
I know the school president has been wanting to de-emphasize football.

If I were the president and I had my way I would shut the program down. All you have to do is look at college sports message boards for justification. You see all sorts of comments about how Miami is just a party school full of thugs. The fact is that that is not true at all. It is a very highly respected and highly ranked academic institution but the university brand has been tarnished by a football program that has been out of control for most of the last 30 years.

If Miami was a major state university then I'd argue that removing the program is impossible and not in the school's best interest. Miami is a moderately prestigious private university that isn't served well by the shenanigans in the football program.

Lott's Bandana
8/17/2011, 09:20 AM
Here's the link to the full published story, now out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AuaO3cU6j.o9UROow4LvPnQ5nYcB?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_08 1611

Not light reading, pretty incriminating. Again, Yahoo Sports does a remarkable job.

Note: One of the pics has a Nebbish player!?

pphilfran
8/17/2011, 09:23 AM
SMU had meetings that involved the school president and regents where they concluded that they have to keep paying players. I don't think you can say this is bigger than that.

Yep...instead of stopping the practice they decided to ease out of paying players...never quite got there...

GrapevineSooner
8/17/2011, 09:29 AM

That'll probably be Miami's saving grace.

Plus, SMU wasn't given the death penalty until their third violation. Albeit, the NCAA didn't know how far the scandal went when they put the Ponies on probation the first two times.

And probably never would have if a scorned David Stanley didn't open his mouth.

With SMU, the pay for play scandal went up through the AD, the school President, and ol' Bill Clements.

Now if something's uncovered that shows Shalala or one of the regents knew about it, then it's a different ballgame as it applies to the NCAA rules infractions committee.

As it is, the Canes will get hit hard, will probably get a 'lack of institutional control' charge, but probably no death penalty. And that'll be enough to set the program back at least 8-10 years, just like the first time they got caught in the 80's and 90's.

delhalew
8/17/2011, 09:39 AM
So when is ESPiN going to do a 30 on 30 glorifying Thug U version 2.0.

delhalew
8/17/2011, 09:41 AM
That'll probably be Miami's saving grace.

Plus, SMU wasn't given the death penalty until their third violation. Albeit, the NCAA didn't know how far the scandal went when they put the Ponies on probation the first two times.

And probably never would have if a scorned David Stanley didn't open his mouth.

With SMU, the pay for play scandal went up through the AD, the school President, and ol' Bill Clements.

Now if something's uncovered that shows Shalala or one of the regents knew about it, then it's a different ballgame as it applies to the NCAA rules infractions committee.

As it is, the Canes will get hit hard, will probably get a 'lack of institutional control' charge, but probably no death penalty. And that'll be enough to set the program back at least 8-10 years, just like the first time they got caught in the 80's and 90's.

Shalala took a 50000 check from Shapiro.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 09:51 AM
Sucks to be Al Golden. I wonder what he knew or if he knew...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 09:52 AM
Shalala took a 50000 check from Shapiro.

I hadn't read that - is this true?

delhalew
8/17/2011, 09:55 AM
One the scummiest things Lil' Luke did was put $5,000 bounties on the heads of players, including Tebow. F'n disgusting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/08/17/miami-booster-claims-he-put-bounties-on-tim-tebow-and-chris-rix/

delhalew
8/17/2011, 09:57 AM

I'm having trouble digging through this crap in rural MO on my phone, but the guy from Yahoo! was on rivals radio, and that came up.

NormanPride
8/17/2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah it's been mentioned that the coaches, AD, and President were at least aware of what was going on. I mean, at this level how can you not be?

People were outraged at us when they found out a couple players had been taking money and lying to our compliance department. At least we were doing our best and removed them as soon as the truth was out. What other program can say that?

rekamrettuB
8/17/2011, 10:18 AM
Well all these benefits really didn't produce much on field success. I mean they started declining in '03. Now if he would have said 98-2010...

3rdgensooner
8/17/2011, 10:21 AM
Well all these benefits really didn't produce much on field success.That's what I was thinking.

cleller
8/17/2011, 10:26 AM
The pictures of this Shapiro runt with the playas were pathetic. It looks like some nerdy kid in grade school handing out money to get the big guys to come near him.
Now he's angry that they didn't help him in his hour of need? Its like feeding a bear- he may come around and take your food, but he won't save you from the wolves.

rekamrettuB
8/17/2011, 10:35 AM
The pictures of this Shapiro runt with the playas were pathetic. It looks like some nerdy kid in grade school handing out money to get the big guys to come near him.
Now he's angry that they didn't help him in his hour of need? Its like feeding a bear- he may come around and take your food, but he won't save you from the wolves.

Not much different than a jock-sniffer with a mullet.

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 10:36 AM
Miami is one of the few cities in the world (Dhaka may be a good alternative candidate) that would do very well with a reboot. Imgaine a nice, clean neutron bomb and then a wave of bulldozers levelling the place. You'd have nice real estate and you'd be minus a century of sleaze and human detritus. Absolutely nothing of worth would be gone.

Well, we'd lose Iggy Pop, but then, in a way, we lost Iggy in about 1985 anyway....

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 10:54 AM
One the scummiest things Lil' Luke did was put $5,000 bounties on the heads of players, including Tebow. F'n disgusting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/2011/08/17/miami-booster-claims-he-put-bounties-on-tim-tebow-and-chris-rix/

excusable in tebow's case.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/17/2011, 11:26 AM
Now would be a good time to invite them to join the Big 12.

BoomerJack
8/17/2011, 11:30 AM
Whatever happens to this program because of this crap, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

badger
8/17/2011, 11:44 AM
Now would be a good time to invite them to join the Big 12.

SEC. They'd fit right in. :P

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 11:47 AM
my buddy that played baseball at the U

" i read an article on the Shapiro deal. i figured something like this was goin on while i was there. a lot of the football players were driving 60 thousand dollar cars and ****..."

OULenexaman
8/17/2011, 12:25 PM
RIP

Dio
8/17/2011, 12:34 PM
You know things are bad at Thug U when LUTHER FREAKING CAMPBELL is full of frothy moral outrage.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/08/nevin_shapiro_can_kiss_my_***.php

Luke's Gospel
Nevin Shapiro Can Kiss My ***
By Luther Campbell Wed., Aug. 17 2011 at 8:21 AM
Comments (30)
Categories: Luke's Gospel
0digg
lukesgospel.jpg
Nevin Shapiro wishes he could wear my shorts for one day. The New Jersey-born Napoleon dubbed himself "Little Luke" in a so-called investigative report by Yahoo! Sports claiming all sorts of corrupt **** Shapiro committed while he was a booster of the University of Miami athletics program.

The claims even include hooking up football players with prostitutes and buying them bottles at Mansion. That punk could never be me.

First of all, I have never been a UM booster. I have never given a dime to the school. I have and always will support the players and the program out of civic pride, but I never violated any NCAA rules when I was the team's biggest fan in the '80s. And I definitely would not have ever paid for a stripper to abort a baby allegedly fathered by a UM football player, like Shapiro claims he did.

You can't be me just by reading a Dan Le Batard article in the Miami Herald from 21 years ago alleging I paid players for hits on the field. The NCAA investigated those accusations and found no wrongdoing on my part. This notion that I was paying players is false. It never happened.

If Nevin really wanted people to see him as "Little Luke," he would have dedicated part of his life to helping kids in Miami's inner-city neighborhoods get a college education. He certainly never started a youth athletic program that has been around for more than 30 years helping underprivileged parents in Liberty City mold their children.

It has never been about money for me. It has always been about community service. That's what being Uncle Luke is really about.

Read more in our December 2010 feature, "Nevin Shapiro: Miami's Caligula."

Shapiro is nothing more than a jilted groupie who ****ed over a lot people. He is an opportunistic schemer who now wants to play the role of jailhouse snitch. His word isn't worth squat, especially if Yahoo! paid him for the exclusive. Nevin is angry because he couldn't get former players to invest in his Ponzi scheme or come to his rescue when his criminal enterprise was exposed.

I always had a feeling Shapiro was a sketchy mother****er. I could see right through him two minutes into our first conversation. During one of our meetings, he was trying to get me to be a part of his sports agency because he knew I work with all the kids in the inner city playing football. He also complained that the former players didn't want to invest in his food business after he had bought jerseys and memorabilia to support the program.

He was all about himself. Shapiro wanted to use me like he was using the UM players and other celebrity athletes he courted. I knew to stay away from him. So did Randy Shannon, who warned all of his assistants that if he caught them with Shapiro, he would fire them. Randy hated that beady-eyed defamer. Surprisingly, Shannon's name was conspicuously absent in Yahoo!'s breathtaking 11-month investigation.

The NCAA shouldn't even waste any gas money on this guy. But the investigators have to do their due diligence. In the meantime, every UM fan should send a letter to Shapiro's prison warden and insist he remain in the general population.

NormanPride
8/17/2011, 12:43 PM
Luke's just pissed someone one-upped him.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 12:50 PM
I would say toast...

This dood was class A hanger on...but man, what does this say about the "student-athletes" that know the rules and take this stuff freely.

Jacie
8/17/2011, 12:51 PM

In the article on Yahoo about this there is a picture of him at a Miami bowling alley standing between the basketball coach and the UM prez, Shalala, and she is holding the check, grinning like a cheshire cat, so yeah, it's true.

He is quoted in the article as saying it was stolen money . . .

Dio
8/17/2011, 12:52 PM
When this is over, can we set Sebastian on fire and drag him around the Orange Bowl?

sooner59
8/17/2011, 12:53 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_08 1611

http://img5.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/14124/14124155ea5138ac43686910008307ac505d7572.png (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=14124155&showlnk=0)

Augusta_Sooner
8/17/2011, 12:53 PM
Evidently, this guy is telling everything he knows as part of a deal he made with the federal govt. He has to come clean about everything, otherwise, the deal is off. If true, I would be very nervous if I were a Miami fan. Does anyone think Shapiro will lie and take a chance of having additional years added to an already 20 yr prison sentence? Don't think so. So far, it looks like he's telling the truth.....lots of paper trails out there backing up his story. This thing is going to affect a lot of people associated with UM and other schools such as the 2 asst. coaches at 'Bama, Bryce Brown, possibly Coach Haith now at Mizzou and even the school's president. Numerous UM players will eventually get suspended pending an investigation, including their QB. It's about to get real ugly for the U.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 12:58 PM
...UM prez, Shalala, and she is holding the check, grinning like a cheshire cat, so yeah, it's true.

Yeah, that is funny.

I would like to see a photo of her when she learned the money was stolen. :eek:

I wonder if they will give it back as well as any other moneys he gave the school when the court looks to victim reimbursement...

I wonder how quick it will take them to rename the lounge or whatever was named after him.

delhalew
8/17/2011, 01:01 PM
What about the former UM AD (present during the Pell grant scene), that chaired the NCAA infractions committee during the time this was happening. While not necessarily related, it smells awful.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 01:01 PM
I remember once when the Sig Eps were put on probation after a hazing incident in Norman. Overnight, almost every For Sale sign in Norman appeared on their front lawn...

I wonder if For Sale signs are placed in front of the UM athletic dorms...:D

REDREX
8/17/2011, 01:09 PM
Lets make sure that we NEVER pissoff Yahoo sports

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 01:35 PM
How about this for a penalty:

Loss of 20 schollies a year......forever

and permanent probation.

I don't want to kill them outright. I just want to watch them twist in the wind with no hope of any improvement.

Ever.

SoonerNate
8/17/2011, 01:43 PM

and permanent probation.

I don't want to kill them outright. I just want to watch them twist in the wind with no hope of any improvement.

Ever.

You have my vote there.

NormanPride
8/17/2011, 01:44 PM
I think that is a fantastic idea, Kanto. I will vote for you for president.

OhU1
8/17/2011, 01:49 PM

and permanent probation.

Ever.

Yes, same thing I was thinking. Condemn them to a perpetual Temple Owl level of football success.

SoonerNate
8/17/2011, 01:56 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/FAUALUM29/CSI_Da_U.gif

REDREX
8/17/2011, 02:02 PM
I feel so sorry for Donna Shalala ----Well maybe not

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 02:05 PM
I bet her "lofty" leftist liberal ideals are still intact though... I am sure she blames George Bush for Nevin... ;)

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 02:05 PM
I would say toast...

This dood was class A hanger on...but man, what does this say about the "student-athletes" that know the rules and take this stuff freely.

Do incidents like this make Phil or James Hale or whoever the guys are that do Sooner Spectator or Sooner Illustrated Class A hanger on-ers? Folks with printed media or sports boards are just out of control people with an addicted disease?

I guess that would make subscribers/posters Class Bs?

I always thought maybe having Season Tickets and driving up to watch games maybe made me at least a Class C but it I get Sam or Adrians autograph after they have gone into the NFL and I'm not an actual Vikings Fan for example...I'm Automatically a Class B?

It's really getting confusing now...LOL

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 02:08 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/FAUALUM29/CSI_Da_U.gif

Is that albo gonna be able to get a Nike contract or at lease get a guest appearance in Eugene Oregon?

MR2-Sooner86
What about the former UM AD (present during the Pell grant scene), that chaired the NCAA infractions committee during the time this was happening. While not necessarily related, it smells awful.

Inmates running the ****ing asylum.

usaosooner
they are hosed

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2011, 02:09 PM
I think a bit of karma is in store for Ms Shalala. I don't give a damn about her politics, I just couldn't get over the arrogant, condescending way she dismissed the brawl/near riot at the Miami-Florida International game a few years ago. My thought at the time was, "this woman is neck deep in all that's wrong with the Hurricane program." Looking now like she may have been even deeper than that.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 02:18 PM
Do incidents like this make Phil or James Hale or whoever the guys are that do Sooner Spectator or Sooner Illustrated Class A hanger on-ers? Folks with printed media or sports boards are just out of control people with an addicted disease?

I guess that would make subscribers/posters Class Bs?

I always thought maybe having Season Tickets and driving up to watch games maybe made me at least a Class C but it I get Sam or Adrians autograph after they have gone into the NFL and I'm not an actual Vikings Fan for example...I'm Automatically a Class B?

It's really getting confusing now...LOL

Whether you are joking or not, I have always wondered about James Hale and Al Eschbach. I guess if your favorite thing in the world is following a team and you can gin up a way to get other people to listen or read what you have to say, then I guess you are on cloud 9, but still, I wonder about you...

The other examples of fandom you mentioned, are not in the same league as this Nevin guy. And they are not using money for access to be surrounded by "players". Anybody know why he was so into UM and wanted to hang with Fball players?

NormanPride
8/17/2011, 02:20 PM
Hale is a shill. Eschbach probably couldn't care less though... They can just steal their stories from everyone else and act like jackasses so people tune in. :D

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2011, 02:21 PM
Whether you are joking or not, I have always wondered about James Hale and Al Eschbach. I guess if your favorite thing in the world is following a team and you can gin up a way to get other people to listen or read what you have to say, then I guess you are on cloud 9, but still, I wonder about you...

The other examples of fandom you mentioned, are not in the same league as this Nevin guy. And they are not using money for access to be surrounded by "players". Anybody know why he was so into UM and wanted to hang with Fball players?

Just judging from his diminutive stature, I'd say he might have been doing some serious over-compensating.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 02:25 PM
In reference to this story and these posts...

I am sure glad to have Coach Stoops and I seriously doubt we would see anything like this and as pervasive as what we seem to be seeing at UM at OU. The small instances so far, he has gotten taken care of right quick.

Illuminati
8/17/2011, 02:31 PM
:pop:

StoopTroup
8/17/2011, 02:32 PM

Im mostly joking but as a longtime Sooner Fan I've heard Aggie and Whorn Fans actually call OU Fans just a bunch of Obsessed Crazies but let's face it...when their Team hasn't ever been close to a MNC and Whorns have seen one in the last 40 years and now think they own College Football you have to think some of this that's going on is hilarious

Cornfed
8/17/2011, 02:43 PM
I wonder when Colt McCoys wife will be taken seriously...:D

SoonerNate
8/17/2011, 02:45 PM

No joke

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 02:45 PM

When the NCAA stops accepting cash and/or checks from Texas boosters.

delhalew
8/17/2011, 03:02 PM
The scary thing about Yahoo! Sports, is they are real journalists that corroborate their story, and build a story properly. They built this over an eleven month period.

Here I thought we were stuck with Twitter cowboys.

Illuminati
8/17/2011, 03:04 PM
The scary thing about Yahoo! Sports, is they are real journalists that corroborate their story, and build a story properly. They built this over an eleven month period.

Here I thought we were stuck with Twitter cowboys.

What's even more amazing is how they managed to keep it from leaking!

Salt City Sooner
8/17/2011, 03:14 PM
Some more great farks from the LSU board:

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/27729279/Da-U.aspx

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 03:19 PM
And now if Oregon can get the hammer....my off season life will be close to complete.

SoonerMom2
8/17/2011, 04:01 PM
I bet her "lofty" leftist liberal ideals are still intact though... I am sure she blames George Bush for Nevin... ;)

LOL!!! Bush's fault!

Heard on the radio that ESPN has video of Nevins leading the team out of the tunnel at a game.

Lott's Bandana
8/17/2011, 04:09 PM
LOL!!! Bush's fault!

Heard on the radio that ESPN has video of Nevins leading the team out of the tunnel at a game.

There are also shots of a YSG having to go out onto the field during a game to bring Nevin back to the sideline...he does return, wearing a Canes jersey and skipping with his arms raised.

Lott's Bandana
8/17/2011, 04:10 PM
Bomar's piddling "salary" sure is looking rather...piddling.

The Maestro
8/17/2011, 04:48 PM
List of University of Miami football players that have been mentioned in the Yahoo Sports report to receive improper benefits from booster Nevin Shapiro

•Ray-Ray Armstrong
•Jon Beason
•Travis Benjamin
•Arthur Brown
•James Bryant
•Calais Campbell
•Vernon Carey
•Howard Clark
•Graig Cooper
•Antonio Dixon
•Dyron Dye
•Dedrick Epps
•Kayne Farquharson
•Marcus Forston
•Orlando Franklin
•Vegas Franklin
•Jason Geathers
•Tavares Gooden
•Frank Gore
•Cornelius Green
•Gavin Hardin
•Courtney Harris
•Jacory Harris
•Orien Harris
•Devin Hester
•Aldarius Johnson
•Andre Johnson
•Andrew Johnson
•Charlie Jones
•Carlos Joseph
•William Joseph
•Robert Marve
•Marcus Maxey
•Colin McCarthy
•Jerome McDougle
•Willis McGahee
•Rocky McIntosh
•Eric Moncur
•Brian Monroe
•Tyrone Moss
•Javon Nanton
•JoJo Nicolas
•Adewale Ojomo
•Bryan Pata
•Kenny Phillips
•Randy Phillips
•Anthony Reddick
•Marcus Robinson
•Antrel Rolle
•Darryl Sharpton
•Sam Shields
•Sean Spence
•Sean Taylor
•Vaughn Telemaque
•Santonio Thomas
•Olivier Vernon
•Jonathan Vilma
•Carl Walker
•Vince Wilfork
•Andrew Williams
•D.J. Williams
•Leon Williams
•Willie Williams
•Kellen Winslow Jr.
•Reggie Youngblood

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 04:57 PM
And there it was, second from bottom: Kellen Winslow, Jr.

Would that this thing destroys his fledgling career and the sins of the father can be visited upon the son.

<yes, I know, but at times Old Testament vindictiveness just feels.....right>

sooner59
8/17/2011, 05:20 PM
Well...at least Willie Williams got something out of college football. It sure as hell wasn't a career.

kbsooner
8/17/2011, 07:42 PM
I guess Shockey just missed out...

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 07:52 PM
Shockey prlly banged dudes

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 07:52 PM
Bomar's piddling "salary" sure is looking rather...piddling.

And the $312 in clothes that kid from Georgia Tech received.

SoonerOX
8/18/2011, 12:44 AM
From the looks of it. These shennanigans were going on while UM was on probation. If that is the case, they definitely qualify for nuking by the NCAA

SoonerOX
8/18/2011, 12:56 AM

I take offense to this. I am Cuban-American! :P

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2011, 02:26 AM
There is no way that Vaughn Telemaque was involved!!

MamaMia
8/18/2011, 02:47 AM
It sucks to be them.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2011, 02:55 AM
I figure they will vacate some wins and lose 2 or 4 scholarships. Some school in the WAC however will get severely ear raped by tons of sanctions. Maybe the NCAA can find more guys at Boise who got 14 dollars!!! NCAA = 14 dollars, Yahoo Sports = Millions of dollars. Maybe Yahoo Sports can just become the enforcement agency of the NCAA

BudSooner
8/18/2011, 06:37 AM
Ned approves. :D

Sooner_Tuf
8/18/2011, 06:45 AM

You don't want Miami or because the Cubans already have it?

olevetonahill
8/18/2011, 07:02 AM

Well there ya go, You can have the place.
Sides shouldnt that read AMERICAN-cuban?:P

badger
8/18/2011, 07:46 AM
I figure they will vacate some wins and lose 2 or 4 scholarships. Some school in the WAC however will get severely ear raped by tons of sanctions. Maybe the NCAA can find more guys at Boise who got 14 dollars!!! NCAA = 14 dollars, Yahoo Sports = Millions of dollars. Maybe Yahoo Sports can just become the enforcement agency of the NCAA

They're in MWC now... so some school in the MWC will get severely ear raped :P

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 08:57 AM
It sucks to be them.
Yeah, and they cheated as well. :D

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 09:00 AM
Here's an excerpt from Wolff's SI article this morning. Made my morning coffee, oh, so much sweeter:

Quote: The revelations of the past few months make it clear that the Miami football program has become a disease, a cancer that is steadily devouring an institution that you have worked so hard to rid of its image as Suntan U. The Hurricanes have won four national championships during your 14 years as president, but they have done so at incalculable cost to the university's reputation and integrity. You have gone through three athletic directors. You are now on your fourth football coach. But only one president has presided over this hurricane with a black eye.

It is time, President Foote, to fire the program.

For all its victories, Miami football has been worse in more ways over a longer period of time than any other intercollegiate athletic program in memory. Scan the list of abuses that beset college sports, and your football team can claim, going back to 1980, at least one entry in virtually every category: improper benefits; recruiting violations; boosters run amok; academic cheating; use of steroids and recreational drugs; suppressed or ignored positive tests for drugs; player run-ins with other students as well as with campus and off-campus police; the discharge of weapons and the degradation of women in the football dorm; credit-card fraud and telephone credit-card fraud.

During the past decade your school enrolled and suited up at least one player who had scored a 200 on his verbal SAT—the number you get for spelling your name correctly. An on-campus disturbance, involving some 40 members of the football team, required 14 squad cars and a police dog to quell. Fifty-seven players were implicated in a financial-aid scandal that the feds call "perhaps the largest centralized fraud upon the federal Pell Grant program ever committed." And among numerous cases of improper payments to players from agents was one in which the nondelivery of a promised installment led a Hurricane player to barge into an agent's office and put a gun to his head.

The illegal acts with which your Hurricanes have been charged run the gamut from disorderly conduct and shoplifting to drunken driving, burglary, arson, assault and sexual battery. Surely you read the exhaustive and chilling piece about your football program in The Miami Herald of May 18. That paper's reporters did the math: No fewer than one of every seven scholarship players on last season's team has been arrested while enrolled at your university. No wonder running back Melvin Bratton, a Hurricane from 1983 to '87, when asked what students thought of the team's rap sheet, said, "They're too scared to say anything to us." The old jokes—about Miami being the school where they take the team picture from both the front and the side; about the Hurricanes topping every poll from UPI to MCI to FBI—simply aren't funny anymore.

Your school is known nationwide as the place that holds in contempt the most elementary conventions of sportsmanship. Your team's behavior before the Fiesta Bowl in January 1987, when a dozen of your players arrived in Arizona wearing combat fatigues and the entire team walked out of a pregame steak fry with opposing Penn State, might be excused as a lapse in taste. So, too, might the 1986 episode in which your mascot pointed a toy machine gun at a visiting team just before a game. But those occurrences only prefigured the January '91 Cotton Bowl, during which your Hurricanes committed a Cotton Bowl-record 16 penalties, including 10 personal fouls and unsportsmanlike-conduct infractions, during their 46-3 victory over Texas. Surely, as a former Marine, you must have been appalled at an environment in which players could openly defy coach Dennis Erickson's efforts to restrain them during that game and then have one of them say, as center Darren Handy did, that their behavior "might be embarrassing to the university and the coaches, but it's not to the players. We enjoy it."

It would be one thing if your troubles began and ended with your players. But the miscreants have been on your payroll, too. As founding chairman of the Miami Coalition for a Drug-Free Community, you must be horrified that for three years an academic counselor in the athletic department systematically looted the federal Pell Grant program, which provides funds for needy students, in part to support his cocaine habit; that a secretary in your football office admitted to the Herald that she supplied marijuana to, and used it with, players, including on the eve of the 1994 Fiesta Bowl; and that in 1988 one of your strength coaches pleaded guilty to possessing steroids.

Your last coach, Erickson, was notorious for his carousing. His drinking was well-known around town, but it didn't catch up with him until he left last winter for Seattle, where he now coaches the Seahawks. In April he was nailed for drunken driving with a blood-alcohol level that was more than twice the legal limit. But one Erickson assistant, Gregg Smith, pleaded no contest to a charge of reckless driving after initially being charged with driving under the influence, and another, Ed Orgeron, reached a civil settlement after he was arrested in connection with a bar fight

Unquote

I hope Mike Leach goes to FAU, Miami gets the death penalty and Mikey builds a monster in South Florida.

LRoss
8/18/2011, 09:40 AM
Here's an excerpt from Wolff's SI article this morning. Made my morning coffee, oh, so much sweeter:

Quote: The revelations of the past few months make it clear that the Miami football program has become a disease, a cancer that is steadily devouring an institution that you have worked so hard to rid of its image as Suntan U. The Hurricanes have won four national championships during your 14 years as president, but they have done so at incalculable cost to the university's reputation and integrity. You have gone through three athletic directors. You are now on your fourth football coach. But only one president has presided over this hurricane with a black eye.

For all its victories, Miami football has been worse in more ways over a longer period of time than any other intercollegiate athletic program in memory. Scan the list of abuses that beset college sports, and your football team can claim, going back to 1980, at least one entry in virtually every category: improper benefits; recruiting violations; boosters run amok; academic cheating; use of steroids and recreational drugs; suppressed or ignored positive tests for drugs; player run-ins with other students as well as with campus and off-campus police; the discharge of weapons and the degradation of women in the football dorm; credit-card fraud and telephone credit-card fraud.

During the past decade your school enrolled and suited up at least one player who had scored a 200 on his verbal SAT—the number you get for spelling your name correctly. An on-campus disturbance, involving some 40 members of the football team, required 14 squad cars and a police dog to quell. Fifty-seven players were implicated in a financial-aid scandal that the feds call "perhaps the largest centralized fraud upon the federal Pell Grant program ever committed." And among numerous cases of improper payments to players from agents was one in which the nondelivery of a promised installment led a Hurricane player to barge into an agent's office and put a gun to his head.

The illegal acts with which your Hurricanes have been charged run the gamut from disorderly conduct and shoplifting to drunken driving, burglary, arson, assault and sexual battery. Surely you read the exhaustive and chilling piece about your football program in The Miami Herald of May 18. That paper's reporters did the math: No fewer than one of every seven scholarship players on last season's team has been arrested while enrolled at your university. No wonder running back Melvin Bratton, a Hurricane from 1983 to '87, when asked what students thought of the team's rap sheet, said, "They're too scared to say anything to us." The old jokes—about Miami being the school where they take the team picture from both the front and the side; about the Hurricanes topping every poll from UPI to MCI to FBI—simply aren't funny anymore.

Your school is known nationwide as the place that holds in contempt the most elementary conventions of sportsmanship. Your team's behavior before the Fiesta Bowl in January 1987, when a dozen of your players arrived in Arizona wearing combat fatigues and the entire team walked out of a pregame steak fry with opposing Penn State, might be excused as a lapse in taste. So, too, might the 1986 episode in which your mascot pointed a toy machine gun at a visiting team just before a game. But those occurrences only prefigured the January '91 Cotton Bowl, during which your Hurricanes committed a Cotton Bowl-record 16 penalties, including 10 personal fouls and unsportsmanlike-conduct infractions, during their 46-3 victory over Texas. Surely, as a former Marine, you must have been appalled at an environment in which players could openly defy coach Dennis Erickson's efforts to restrain them during that game and then have one of them say, as center Darren Handy did, that their behavior "might be embarrassing to the university and the coaches, but it's not to the players. We enjoy it."

It would be one thing if your troubles began and ended with your players. But the miscreants have been on your payroll, too. As founding chairman of the Miami Coalition for a Drug-Free Community, you must be horrified that for three years an academic counselor in the athletic department systematically looted the federal Pell Grant program, which provides funds for needy students, in part to support his cocaine habit; that a secretary in your football office admitted to the Herald that she supplied marijuana to, and used it with, players, including on the eve of the 1994 Fiesta Bowl; and that in 1988 one of your strength coaches pleaded guilty to possessing steroids.

Your last coach, Erickson, was notorious for his carousing. His drinking was well-known around town, but it didn't catch up with him until he left last winter for Seattle, where he now coaches the Seahawks. In April he was nailed for drunken driving with a blood-alcohol level that was more than twice the legal limit. But one Erickson assistant, Gregg Smith, pleaded no contest to a charge of reckless driving after initially being charged with driving under the influence, and another, Ed Orgeron, reached a civil settlement after he was arrested in connection with a bar fight

Unquote

I hope Mike Leach goes to FAU, Miami gets the death penalty and Mikey builds a monster in South Florida.

What's most impressive about that article?

All of that and it doesn't even mention their insane brawl with FAU a couple years back and their commentator's approval.

It's like considering that the old Detroit "Bad Boys" Pistons were SO bad that a young Rodman was completely overshadowed. Wow.

Sooner11JK
8/18/2011, 09:42 AM

Unquote

Do you have a link to this article? It must be buried on SI's site because I can't find it anywhere.

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure there has ever been an institution as foul and corrupt as the University of Miami. Simply shutting down the football program should only be the beginning. The entire 'U' should be closed, the buildings toppled, the rubble levelled and the ground salted so that nothing grows there for a thousand years.

But, other than that, I'm sort of 'meh' on the issue.

Sooner11JK
8/18/2011, 09:49 AM
Do you have a link to this article? It must be buried on SI's site because I can't find it anywhere.

Nevermind! I found it. It was in their vault from 1995! It was written in 1995!!!! That's unbelievable! You can look at an article written almost 20 yrs ago like this and it still is amazingly relevant today. So relevant that myself and others most likely thought it was written today. Unreal.

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 09:50 AM
It's an 'SI Vaults' article. Sorry, I'm being keyboard challenged this morning.

Lawton4Life
8/18/2011, 09:50 AM
I think that atricle is from the 95 cover story why Miami should drop football. Erikson left to coach the seahawks in 95 and lasted until 98

jkjsooner
8/18/2011, 09:51 AM
What's most impressive about that article?

All of that and it doesn't even mention their insane brawl with FAU a couple years back and their commentator's approval.

It's like considering that the old Detroit "Bad Boys" Pistons were SO bad that a young Rodman was completely overshadowed. Wow.

That article sounds like it was written more than 15 years ago.

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 09:51 AM
yeah, I did think it was written today; for which apologies. On the other hand, nothing has changed, so the conclusions still hold.

Sooner11JK
8/18/2011, 09:54 AM
Link

http://sportsillustrated.asia/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006688/index.htm?sct=cf_t11_a6&eref=sisf&eref=sisf

badger
8/18/2011, 10:43 AM
Link

http://sportsillustrated.asia/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006688/index.htm?sct=cf_t11_a6&eref=sisf&eref=sisf

It's hard to drop something that wins so much and brings so much attention (positive and negative) to a school.

This time around, the winning ain't there anymore.

MamaMia
8/18/2011, 01:03 PM
yeah, I did think it was written today; for which apologies. On the other hand, nothing has changed, so the conclusions still hold.

Classic case of Miami not seeing the writing on the wall. :P

badger
8/18/2011, 01:38 PM
Stoops on Miami here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Stoops_address_in_wake_of_Miami_sc andal/12-12250)

I believe strongly that if you knowingly do that, you've chosen not to be part of this program. That's just the way it'll be. That's part of our message.

Everyone hug him and don't let him go. So thankful to have Stoops and not Tressel, Butch or some of the other guys.

PalmBeachSooner
8/18/2011, 01:47 PM

Boats and Hoes! Dale Boback.

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 01:52 PM
It's times like these I love having Stoops as our coach. We can always trust him to do the right thing for the kid and the program.

BigJerm7
8/18/2011, 02:36 PM
Larry Coker dodged a bullet. Al Golden stepped in front of one. He's probably wishing he'd stayed at Temple.

prrriiide
8/18/2011, 02:42 PM
Larry Coker dodged a bullet. Al Golden stepped in front of one. He's probably wishing he'd stayed at Temple.

I dunno...even a probation-ravaged Miami will stand a chance to win more games than Temple, given the fertile recruiting ground and the Miami boosters' perpetual disdain for the rules.

NormanPride
8/18/2011, 03:04 PM
Didn't Temple win 8-9 games last year?

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2011, 03:05 PM

The death penalty may not occur, but The U is about to be handed one of the worst set backs, outside of the Death Penalty, in NCAA history.

If memory serves me correctly, wasnt Miami on probation shortly after Butch Davis left?

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2011, 03:08 PM

Yes'sir! 8-4 (5-3)

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2011, 03:14 PM
Lets face it, there is no way to properly police college athletics...the key is, what is the solution?

The solution? I dont know...but a good start would be to block all access to players and coaches from outside sources, unless legitimate media.

Have all players list all assets when enrolling. And get approved to get new stuff like cars, jewlery, etc.

I know that sounds very dictatorship-like, but the only other solution is to pay the players. And IMHO, that would only lead the greatest sport on the planet to be just as bad as the NFL when it comes to collective bargaining.

I also say another thing would be to limit income the NCAA can generate from these players. I understand people in the NCAA wants to be paid and paid well, but they should make it a Non-Profit or Not-for-profit organization. And if they start to make a profit, they should give the money back to the colleges to spend on scholarships for other sports or non-athletic scholarships.

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2011, 03:18 PM
The NCAA needs to ban coaches that break the rules if they really want to keep things clean. It's dumb for the school to be the only entity punished and the coaches can just go to another university as if nothing ever happened.

Life time ban or what?

They can do just what Sampson did and go to the professional ranks. Still get to coach...and after their banishment time is over, then they would be eligible for NCAA employment!

But yes, I do agree 1000000% that the coaches that knowingly cheat, should get the book thrown at them as well.

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2011, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't trust Boone Pickens if he said the sky was blue. I would have to go check. I have always thought him and Holder were not on the up and up. Maybe the NCAA will read this thread. :)

Why because they have consistently beaten OU and won Big 12 championship after Big 12 Championship?

:texan:

fadada1
8/18/2011, 03:26 PM
The death penalty may not occur, but The U is about to be handed one of the worst set backs, outside of the Death Penalty, in NCAA history.

If memory serves me correctly, wasnt Miami on probation shortly after Butch Davis left?

if memory serves, they were on (light) probation coker's 1st and/or 2nd year.

MamaMia
8/18/2011, 03:30 PM
Stoops' address in wake of Miami scandal
8/18/2011 1:22:29 PM

Interesting stuff from Bob Stoops' media session after practice today.

Is the Miami situation a nightmare scenario for coaches?

Stoops: "Sure it is. It's just unfortunate some random people want to break rules. It's a bad situation."

How often do you address this stuff with your players?

"It's part of our summer routine, when we first get them back together, part of our compliance meetings. I believe strongly that if you knowingly do that, you've chosen not to be part of this program. That's just the way it'll be. That's part of our message."

Seems like the message is being part of this program, not just improving your pro stock.

"Absolutely. You have your experience here and you have it for life. You earn your degree hopefully and you come back 20 or 30 years from now with your family and show them around. And you're always a part of it. Or you choose not to be.

"What I'm very aware to tell them is if you don't want to be here, there's a thousand kids out there that want to sit in this chair. And they are good ballplayers. And I mean that about other universities. So you don't have to. There's a lot of good that goes with being here and earning your degree and having this experience if you do it the right way.

"If you choose not to, you live with the consequences of that."

-- Guerin Emig

Written by
Guerin Emig
Sports Writer

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx/?Stoops_address_in_wake_of_Miami_scandal/12-12250

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2011, 03:34 PM
if memory serves, they were on (light) probation coker's 1st and/or 2nd year.

Still probation. ;)

Augusta_Sooner
8/18/2011, 03:41 PM
The 'Canes were on probation when Butch Davis took over. He really did a fantastic job of cleaning up that program and got them headed in the right direction before leaving to coach the Browns. Coker comes in a wins a nat'l title in his 1st or 2nd yr after Davis laid the foundation for their future success.

OU_Sooners75
8/18/2011, 03:50 PM
The 'Canes were on probation when Butch Davis took over. He really did a fantastic job of cleaning up that program and got them headed in the right direction before leaving to coach the Browns. Coker comes in a wins a nat'l title in his 1st or 2nd yr after Davis laid the foundation for their future success.

Kind of like he cleaned up North Carolina? Ooops.

Butch davis didnt clean up that program. The image of Miami started to change only when Shannon took over.

Too bad it was all just a smoke screen.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 04:51 PM
One Miami Grad's Take on NCAA Hypocrisy (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/29532522)

Worth the read. This guy posts at another board I frequent every day. Very smart. He was born in Texas, raised in the OKC area, and went to Miami on an academic scholarship. It's easy to say he's biased because the NCAA is about to slam his alma mater (and because Sooners naturally hate the Canes), but at the same time, he's right, regardless of who is involved. I guess this also applies to the "Paying College Athletes..." thread. Might have to post it there, too.

SoonerNate
8/18/2011, 04:57 PM
About time they edit that 30 in 30 special on "The U?"

KantoSooner
8/18/2011, 05:01 PM
Okey dokey:

1. Everybody does it.
2. There's a lot of money in college ball.
3. Everybody does it.
4. Bob Stoops makes 'like $3 mill a year'
5. Everybody does it.
6. It's all about the money.
7. I had a nice ride and never did wrong.
8. Everybody does it.
9. Some kids are, like, real poor and can't do what they want on the stipends paid.
10. Everybody does it.
11. Let's reeeeeeaaaaaaallllly concentrate hard now and try to focus on the money. Like Bomar getting paid $1,000 or so is the same deal as playa's getting $50,000....along with their class one narcotics and procured sex. And procured abortions.
12. Everybody does it.

Got this genius's argument about right? I hope he doesn't count on the Cato gig holding out. Normally, they require at least a fleeting grasp of rhetoric and some skill at laying out an argument.
I will grant you that he makes a passionate attempt to fuzz the issue and make apples into oranges.
And please understand that my contempt is directed at the article writer and not at you.

sorry for any offense, but his argument was tripe.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:04 PM
None taken. But he has a better view on this kind of stuff than the "rules are rules" people.

badger
8/18/2011, 05:08 PM
One Miami Grad's Take on NCAA Hypocrisy (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/29532522)

Worth the read. This guy posts at another board I frequent every day. Very smart. He was born in Texas, raised in the OKC area, and went to Miami on an academic scholarship. It's easy to say he's biased because the NCAA is about to slam his alma mater (and because Sooners naturally hate the Canes), but at the same time, he's right, regardless of who is involved. I guess this also applies to the "Paying College Athletes..." thread. Might have to post it there, too.

It was a good read, but there's several things wrong with the UM situation that just cannot be overlooked in the name of "poor student athletes do all the work and get no money."

1- The booster was offering bounties to players to take opponents out of the game.

2- The booster was getting his money via a Ponzi scheme.

3- The booster was trying to steer the athletes toward signing with his agency when they went to the NFL.

So, the money was tainted in the first place. The money was used to encourage seriously injuring other student-athletes and the money was used to create an unfair advantage in recruiting potential pro prospects for their agency.

You can overlook throwing parties on party boats, perhaps, but you can't overlook the fact that the money came from a Ponzi scheme, the fact that money was used to encourage dangerous hits on opponents and to influence players to sign with an agency when they turn pro.

Also, abortion is not illegal, but I felt moderately sick when I heard that the booster funded an abortion. When you're dealing with ill-gotten money, it'll end up being used for bad purposes.

That's why this type of crap should have no place in college sports.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:11 PM
Well, no, that stuff has no place in any sport, but his general point is still solid: everyone but the players is making huge amounts of money, and they're the ones doing the vast majority of the work. Then when they want to take some cash on the side, they and their institution get punished. It is a hypocritical venture.

pphilfran
8/18/2011, 05:12 PM
None taken. But he has a better view on this kind of stuff than the "rules are rules" people.

First...you won't be able to pay just football players....women swimming will need similar funding per athlete...

Second...if we let Travis sell his signed jersey for 300 bucks how much will Sr. WR Ryan Caro get for his signed jersey?

badger
8/18/2011, 05:14 PM
they're the ones doing the vast majority of the work

:mad: How dare those professors, administrators and support staff get paid tons of money while I am pulling all-nighters to finish term papers, study for mid-terms, read boring required books and finish assignments. The STUDENTS are the ones doing all of the work in college and we don't get paid!

;)

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:21 PM
:mad: How dare those professors, administrators and support staff get paid tons of money while I am pulling all-nighters to finish term papers, study for mid-terms, read boring required books and finish assignments. The STUDENTS are the ones doing all of the work in college and we don't get paid!

;)

And doing the work for the football players. :eek: :D

badger
8/18/2011, 05:23 PM
Kids that demand more for being student-athletes sometimes come off as whiny as my sarcasm above. I mean, I know it's soooo tough dealing with the fact that adults have controlled pretty much every aspect of your childhood and now a lot of the athletic stuff you're dealing with in college, but seriously... BOO HOO!

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:25 PM
First...you won't be able to pay just football players....women swimming will need similar funding per athlete...

Second...if we let Travis sell his signed jersey for 300 bucks how much will Sr. WR Ryan Caro get for his signed jersey?

So if you can't pay women's swimmers and a walk-on can't get the same value for his jersey that a star athlete can get, we should just keep letting these kids make all of this money for their institutions while receiving only a scholarship and a small stipend? I understand it would be hard to start paying players, especially at the schools who don't make money from their athletic departments, but it's still unjust.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:26 PM
Kids that demand more for being student-athletes sometimes come off as whiny as my sarcasm above. I mean, I know it's soooo tough dealing with the fact that adults have controlled pretty much every aspect of your childhood and now a lot of the athletic stuff you're dealing with in college, but seriously... BOO HOO!

Missing the point.

pphilfran
8/18/2011, 05:30 PM
So if you can't pay women's swimmers and a walk-on can't get the same value for his jersey that a star athlete can get, we should just keep letting these kids make all of this money for their institutions while receiving only a scholarship and a small stipend? I understand it would be hard to start paying players, especially at the schools who don't make money from their athletic departments, but it's still unjust.

Wouldn't it be unjust to Mr Cato?

Could it lead to less harmony in the locker room?

How much ya gonna give em...remember, every student athlete will need similar funding...will your payment be enough to keep deep pocket boosters from doing what they are doing today?

Would it give the handful of national powers more pull in getting kids to play for the school? I wanna play for texas since they have top notch pay from greased hands...

You are gonna have a hard time selling your idea....

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:34 PM
What idea? If you think my idea is for the universities to start paying players, it's not. That the NCAA is a hypocritical organization running a huge scam? Maybe. Like I said, I understand that it would be hard for the non-powers to pay players. Doesn't mean I can't be rankled by the NCAA and their lies.

SoonerOX
8/18/2011, 05:44 PM
Well there ya go, You can have the place.
Sides shouldnt that read AMERICAN-cuban?:P

Haha, I don't want the place. Miami is such a dump!

Caboose
8/18/2011, 05:48 PM
Well, no, that stuff has no place in any sport, but his general point is still solid: everyone but the players is making huge amounts of money, and they're the ones doing the vast majority of the work. Then when they want to take some cash on the side, they and their institution get punished. It is a hypocritical venture.

They are called amateur athletes for a reason.

SoonerNate
8/18/2011, 05:48 PM
Haha, I don't want the place. Miami is such a dump!

It's nice but only east of I-95.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:50 PM
They are called amateur athletes for a reason.

That's what they're called, but that's not what they are.

Lott's Bandana
8/18/2011, 06:59 PM
No, this actually wasn't written by someone in Stillwater: (author's bold)

Renegade reporter spells out litany of accusations while often failing to substantiate his claims

Posted on August 18, 2011 (http://allabouttheu.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/renegade-reporter-spells-out-litany-of-accusations-while-often-failing-to-substantiate-his-claims/) by allabouttheu (http://allabouttheu.wordpress.com/author/allabouttheu/)
By 2003alumgocanes (http://2003alumgocanes.u.yuku.com/)
Yahoo! Sports and Charles Robinson have caught the University of Miami red handed, or so they claim. After harassing a convicted felon and pathological liar into “spilling the beans” (Yahoo! claims that they spent months trying to get him to talk until he finally caved), Yahoo! accused UM of massive violations spanning nearly a decade involving 72 players. Yahoo! claimed to comb through a mountain of data to corroborate claims made by a person who they and everyone else have absolutely no reason to trust. In fact, they have an absolute reason to distrust him, given that he is an admitted liar with an admitted motivation to lie in this instance. Yes, they combed through mountains of data. And then they used that data to build a case which upon inspection is a house of cards.
I have no idea what is and is not true here. I can only go off the evidence presented by Yahoo! This is not an attempt to prove or disprove violations. Instead, I am simply examining the evidence that Yahoo! presented to corroborate their claims. And what I find is a shocking lack of journalistic integrity, as Yahoo! repeatedly chose to go for style over substance.
Before I delve into Yahoo!’s evidence, I think it is important to provide some facts here. Even if all of Yahoo!’s allegations are 100% true, the first reported accusation occurred in 2002. Miami’s football team was last sanctioned in the mid-90s, starting in 1996 (Miami lost 31 scholarships over 3 years and a postseason bowl ban, very similar to what USC got for the Reggie Bush scandal). NCAA Bylaws are clear: The ‘death penalty’ is a phrase used by media to describe the most serious NCAA penalties possible. It is not a formal NCAA term. It applies only to repeat violators and can include eliminating the involved sport for at least one year, the elimination of athletics aid in that sport for two years and the school relinquishing its Association voting privileges for a four-year period. A school is a repeat violator if a second major violation occurs within five years of the start date of the penalty from the first case. The cases do not have to be in the same sport. I added the bolding because it is important to note that given the death penalty ONLY applies to repeat violators and that for Miami to be classified as a repeat violator, the NCAA would have to prove allegations occurred in 2001 and before, something Yahoo! doesn’t allege and a timeframe in which Nevin Shapiro wasn’t even a UM booster. Therefore, this case isn’t even death penalty eligible because of the football program, which is kind of an important point that no one seems to want to make.
Now, the NCAA does have a back door if they really want to go that route. The UM baseball team was put on probation in 2003 (for unrelated matters, long since forgotten). The NCAA could use that probation to claim repeat violator status, although it would be a HUGE stretch given that the charges are completely unrelated. The NCAA would have to release a report saying, “Given this widespread proof against the football team and given the baseball teams violations that occurred in the 90s [the violations occurred in 1995 and 1998-99 and the penalties started in 2003], we are invoking repeat violator status”. Obviously, what the NCAA ultimately does is unknown, but I do think it was important to contextualize what the NCAA would have to do to actually give UM the death penalty.
Back to Yahoo!..you saw the salacious headlines, but very rarely is their teeth behind the accusations. The 2 things being seized upon to differentiate this from other instances of cheating are the abortion and the claim of rampant, widespread impropriety by 72 Hurricanes players.
The abortion claim is an absurd accusation given the evidence that Yahoo! presents. In fact, here is the entirety of the claim:
In one instance, Shapiro described taking a player to the Pink Pony strip club and paying for a dancer to engage in sex with the athlete. In the ensuing weeks, Shapiro said the dancer called one of his security providers and informed him that the player had gotten her pregnant during the incident. Shapiro said he gave the dancer $500 to have an abortion performed, without notifying the player of the incident.
“I was doing him a favor,” the booster said. “That idiot might have wanted to keep [the baby].”
Due to the sensitivity of the allegation, Yahoo! Sports has chosen not to name the player allegedly involved.
The dirty little reporting trick Yahoo! played time and again was to claim they used evidence to corroborate Shapiro’s claims. And, in some instances, they absolutely did. But, in instances (as with the abortion claim) where Yahoo! had no evidence other than the word of the felon, they printed the accusation anyway. This allowed Yahoo! to claim that they had fully vetted claims that they had not. In the alleged abortion incident, not even the player would know of his involvement (Shapiro claimed to have never informed the player), yet Yahoo! felt it was fit to print that accusation.

Continued on next Post

Lott's Bandana
8/18/2011, 07:01 PM
72 players…not really, but 72 sounds a lot stronger than 12
One of the shocking things about Yahoo!’s reporting is that they were apparently willing to print any accusation a known liar with an admitted vendetta made. Did they actually print every accusation? I really don’t know. But I do know they chose to print several accusations that their “20,000 pages of financial and business records from his bankruptcy case, more than 5,000 pages of cell phone records, multiple interview summaries tied to his federal Ponzi case, and more than 1,000 photos” did NOT corroborate. And how do I know that? Because I simply clicked through the accusations and read the evidence. Why didn’t anyone else do this? I suspect Urban Meyer might have. That’s why he went on Sportscenter and rather than pile on with talks of the death penalty, instead chose to point out that the allegations were just that, and that the source was not trustworthy.
The main point of contention, the reason why the national media is calling for the death penalty, the reason Miami is being compared to SMU, is that Yahoo! cataloged 72 players involved. That’s a huge number. Almost all pundits preface their comments by saying, ‘if true” and then launch into an attack that assumes truth. College Football News’ Russ Mitchell exclaimed, “First things first – if there’s any doubt that Yahoo! Sports has cemented its position as the preeminent sports investigative reporting organization of this time, leave it at the door.”
Well, I will pick up those doubts and bring them back in the house. Because, as you scrutinize Yahoo!’s claims in the same manner that Yahoo! failed to scrutinize Shapiro’s claims, you will find a pattern of lazy journalism and in some cases willful deceit. Rather than writing “if true” and then assuming truth, all you have to do is click on the player’s names and read the specific accusations. Anyone can do it, which is why it is so shocking that no one in the national media has pointed the finger at Yahoo! The numbers are ugly:
On 5 occasions, Yahoo! printed accusations against players with no evidence whatsoever other than Shapiro’s word. You don’t believe me? Tell me what the proof is against Vegas Franklin (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Ai5ZvCfhZmTz2P8qMiDarTdRMuB_?slug=ys-vegas_franklin_allegations)?
On 19 occasions, Yahoo! printed an accusation against a player and corroborated that accusation with a credit card charge. Yahoo! had NO WAY of actually linking those charges to the players other than Shapiro’s word. This is akin to me telling a reporter that I bought a TV for Tim Tebow in 2008, and as proof, I have my Discover Card statement with a charge at Best Buy. Except in Yahoo!’s case, their use of this non-evidence is even worse because the source is a known liar who is admittedly trying to get the school in trouble. This is particularly damning because Yahoo! used this method to claim they had a financial paper trail corroborating Shapiro’s story. They don’t in these instances. Tell me what is linking Jo Jo Nicolas (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Aof1edJarC_2HOIxvQnd0mJRMuB_?slug=ys-jojo_nicolas_allegations)to the charge on the credit card statement other than Shapiro’s word?
On 11 occasions, Yahoo! levied accusations against players and backed it up with evidence that NOT ONLY DOES NOT PROVE THE ALLEGED VIOLATION, BUT ISN’T EVEN A VIOLATION ITSELF. As an example, Yahoo! accuses Kenny Phillips (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Ajp.MnuuTbG9fGn_GkSWq3NRMuB_?slug=ys-kenny_phillips_allegations) of accepting, “Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro’s $2.7 million Miami Beach home, the booster’s $6 million Miami Beach mansion and the $4 million Miami Beach home of the booster’s ex-girlfriend, Mimi Menoscal. Meals at Miami-area restaurants. Entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht.” The proof? 33 calls or texts between Phillips and Shapiro between May and December of 2009. Not only does this evidence have NOTHING to do with the accusations Yahoo! made (of which they offer no direct evidence), but the phone records are from AFTER Phillips left Miami. Yahoo!’s smoking gun is 33 phone contacts between an NFL player and a booster.
On 2 occasions, Yahoo! accused athletes that have already been cleared by the NCAA and are currently playing at other schools. Of particular note, the 2 players (Robert Marve (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=ArEzlvpNiZeHFbbswN23Er9RMuB_?slug=ys-robert_marve_allegations) and Arthur Brown (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AsFNL3oRSmOun0ZwoXMKbgxRMuB_?slug=ys-arthur_brown_allegations)) had some of the strongest evidence against them, yet have already been cleared, which certainly calls into question just how provable Yahoo!’s allegations are. Again, that’s outside the scope of the article, but clearly accusing cleared players is dubious. They weren’t cleared at the time, but now that they are, the record should be amended.
On 3 occasions, Yahoo! accused players who allegedly committed identical violations to players that have been cleared. As an example, Ray-Ray Armstrong was accused of committing violations with current UF player Andre Debose. Debose has been cleared (http://www2.tbo.com/sports/gators/2011/aug/18/1/ex-armwood-star-patchan-debose-cleared-to-play-for-ar-251319/)by the NCAA. Again, at the time of the allegations, there was no way of knowing that the NCAA had cleared these players, but the record of Debose (and the other cleared players) should be updated and the record of uncleared players that are accused of the same thing as cleared players should be amended to reflect that.
On 14 occasions, Yahoo! backed up a report with 1 source. This is a little murkier, but you have a pathological liar, and one source…that is hardly strong evidence. Especially in the way that it was used. What do I mean the way it was used? One source claims to have seen Aldarius Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=An_UDhP7ap9JteCtRBirY9ZRMuB_?slug=ys-aldarius_johnson_allegations), Adewale Ojomo (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Aicon7duDJMeuJPaSA2htMJRMuB_?slug=ys-adewale_ojomo_allegations), Marcus Forston (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Apc.mFNaJu8aDOuNmbqmZ8ZRMuB_?slug=ys-marcus_robinson_allegations), Sean Spence (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AgRLPIH2jO.Tly3_WYu2ZOVRMuB_?slug=ys-sean_spence_allegations), and Marcus Robinson (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Apc.mFNaJu8aDOuNmbqmZ8ZRMuB_?slug=ys-marcus_robinson_allegations) eating dinner at Benihana and partying at a strip club. Using only one source is somewhat shady, but using one source to finger 5 PLAYERS is outright ridiculous. Basically, if one source is incorrect or misremembered or got a date wrong, you have wrongfully fingered 5 players.
On 4 occasions, Yahoo! used photos as evidence. Some of that photographic evidence has been disproven (a photo claimed to be taken in 2003 was actually taken in 2005, after the players had gone on to the NFL), and most of these photos don’t constitute a violation by themselves. Take the case of Marcus Maxey (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=ArGR18mI4gX6Em1vnAvNFltRMuB_?slug=ys-marcus_maxey_allegations). That photo is not a violation by itself. You would need more evidence and details to prove a violation. But Yahoo! accused him and others anyway.
On 3 occasions, Yahoo! backed up their claim with multiple sources. This is where you enter a gray area. No physical proof, but a lot of hearsay. I am fine with Yahoo! including these accusations, to be honest, but it isn’t a slam dunk.
On 12 occasions, Yahoo! aligned sources with other evidence to back up their claims. While not constituting proof (which isn’t the purpose of this article anyway), Yahoo! should certainly feel comfortable making those accusations.That’s a lot to digest, obviously. So, I put it in this handy chart:
http://oi56.tinypic.com/xpqw6g.jpg

Continued on next post...

Lott's Bandana
8/18/2011, 07:04 PM
An interesting note here is that the 12 players where Yahoo! might actually be able to irrefutably prove something committed those alleged violations several years ago, when Paul Dee was Athletic Director and Larry Coker was head coach. Those players have long since left the program. How is that for a headliner grabber? “Yahoo! has strong evidence that Miami had 12 players commit violations 5 years ago and 2 Head Coaches and 2 Athletic Directors ago.” Doesn’t sound as good as 72 players over a decade, does it?
But why is it that, despite Shapiro claiming to have the run of the program for a decade until he was indicted in 2010, there are very few accusations over the last 4 years and those accusations are flimsy? There could be an explanation for that, as you will see in the next section.
The Current 12
Yesterday, headlines screamed out that Miami practiced with the full squad. How could they not suspend the players? Probably because the 12 current players have flimsy and sometimes absolutely no evidence against them. They fall into the categories of:
Non-linked credit card statements (3): Travis Benjamin, JoJo Nicolas and Jacory Harris*.
Evidence of non-violations (3): Jacory Harris*, Vaughn Telemaque and Olivier Vernon*.
Accused of things other players are cleared of (3): Ray-Ray Armstong, Dyron Dye and Olivier Vernon*.
One Source (5): Aldarius Johnson, Adewale Ojomo, Marcus Forston, Sean Spence, and Marcus Robinson*Olivier Vernon and Jacory Harris appear twice.
Why is Yahoo! accusing 12 current players on seemingly flimsy evidence? Couldn’t they find hard evidence against at least 1 current player? I don’t know. If they had hard evidence, they would provide it, I am sure. But, there is another reason why Yahoo! might have had trouble nailing the current players.
Local reporters are digging as well. And apparently former ‘Cane Coach Randy Shannon was particularly vigilant in trying to keep players away from boosters, particularly Nevin Shapiro. I will not quote directly from Canesport, since it is a pay site, but I will say they can confirm that Shannon, upon his hiring, threatened to fire anyone on his staff that associated with Shapiro, repeatedly told his players to stay away from him, and even employed spies to make sure that there was compliance. The full article is available here: http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1253198.
The Sun Sentinel’s Shandel Richardson, in addition to unearthing claims that Shapiro (who is writing a book and stands to profit from UM’s downfall) attempted to extort former UM players, corroborated Canesport’s reporting.
“Everybody knew to stay away from that guy,” the player said. “Coach Shannon hated him. He told us to stay away from that guy. [Shapiro] hated coach Shannon. That why he wasn’t around the program like he was earlier.”
Are those sources better or worse than Yahoo!’s sources? I don’t know. But I do know Yahoo!’s main source couldn’t possibly have less credibility. And I also know that a headline claiming, “Yahoo! found some old allegations, apparently Randy Shannon worked hard and largely succeeded in cleaning up the program” just doesn’t have a lot of bite to it.
Al Golden claims to know very little about the investigation. He is barred by the NCAA from discussing the investigation with his players. But, I am sure the administration would clue him in and suspend players if they felt the 5-month old NCAA investigation showed violations by the 12. And maybe that will happen, especially since it’s the easy thing to do. Sacrifice the 12 kids, show that you are getting tough. But Golden was defiant instead:
“Until we hear of an infraction or that we did break a rule everybody is practicing,” Golden said. “If it is determined that somebody broke rules, certainly that will be first dealt with from a University standpoint, from an eligibility standpoint.” He added that “This is a very complicated issue, obviously, because of the source and allegations.”
Ah, the source. The sociopath. The guy who lies so well he made $930 million simply by turning lying into a business. The guy who admits he has a vendetta against UM. The guy who admits that he wants UM to get the death penalty. The guy whose accusations Yahoo! printed even in instances where their investigation failed to corroborate those accusations.
Again, I am not trying to prove or disprove these allegations. But the mountains of evidence here DOES NOT back up any claims against the 12 current players. For Yahoo!’s story to have maximum effect, however, they had to tie it to the current team, and they tried to do that, despite the lack of actionable evidence. Yahoo! most likely should not have accused any of these 12 players, given what we know.
The Coaches
Another damning part of Yahoo!’s case is the coach and staff involvement. That obviously raised the level of complicity greatly from a UM standpoint. Since there are few coaches and staff involved, we can take these on case-by-case basis. There are allegations against 2 sports:
Football
Clint Hurtt (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AlLuorZGWb0NMnitn1piqFpRMuB_?slug=ys-clint_hurtt_allegations): This is some of Yahoo!’s finest work. Not only do they nail a coach for an illegal interest-free loan, but in a shocking turn of events, they have actual, relevant financial information (a canceled check). Yahoo! was CLEARLY justified in making this accusation.
Aubrey Hill (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=ApVEDALnM27243_o.tDACc9RMuB_?slug=ys-aubrey_hill_allegations): This is simply a case of he said, convicted felon said. Yahoo! claims to have one source that corroborates an illegal recruiting visit. Hill denies the accusation and one of the players involved, Andre Debose, has already been cleared by the NCAA. This looks flimsy looking at the overall evidence.
Joe Pannunzio (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=At1wq7IbMJU6bkkLF5eAxMZRMuB_?slug=ys-joe_pannunzio_allegations): This is really an interesting case, because Yahoo! claims to have 3 sources that can confirm that Pannunzio took Matt Patchan’s family to meet with Shapiro on a recruiting trip. Patchan has already been cleared by the NCAA. Why is this interesting? Because Shapiro refused to finger Pannunzio. Given that Yahoo! made a habit of taking everything that Shapiro said at face value, it’s a bit ridiculous to, in this one instance, when it benefits their narrative, launch an accusation without Shapiro’s collaboration. Obviously, Shapiro is a professional liar with a motive, so his refusal to comment is certainly no defense. Buy Yahoo! is not being consistent when they accuse someone like Howard Clark (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=At.2yihTnRozFv_J3rZPArhRMuB_?slug=ys-howard_clark_allegations) of violations solely based on Shapiro’s word, then turn around and accuse a coach of violations when Shapiro won’t back those accusations up,
Jeff Stoutland (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AnhHOyP6JMolbkDo74wZF_pRMuB_?slug=ys-jeff_stoutland_allegations): Yahoo! has multiple sources placing Stoutland at Shapiro’s home on a recruiting visit. Stoutland has not responded, and Yahoo! was certainly justified in making this accusation at the time of the writing of this article. Given that the recruit involved, Matt Patchan, has been cleared, they might want to revisit this accusation.
Joey Corey (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AhoEJte.Ge8ixDOPYse8MJtRMuB_?slug=ys-joey_corey_allegations) and Ralph Nogueras (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Amk3lVDoYNf5BCGWS8v8_HxRMuB_?slug=ys-ralph_nogueras_allegations): I lumped these 2 together because the allegations and evidence are the same. Yahoo! has no evidence here other than text and phone records proving Corey and Nogueras knew Shapiro. All the allegations of wrongdoing against Corey and Nogueras are completely uncorroborated.
Sean Allen (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Am8CiN3dZnYsk7vT2Hp078tRMuB_?slug=ys-sean_allen_allegations): This is a fascinating case study in Yahoo! building a solid looking, brick house, which on closer inspection appears to be made out of jello. Yahoo! backed up some of Shapiro’s claims with the infamous “one source”. Interestingly, rather than offering “no comment”, Allen responded, “I emphatically deny any wrongdoing and am fully confident that the truth will soon be clear.” So, it is a case of he said, convicted felon said, like with Aubrey Hill? No, because Yahoo! unearthed a long business relationship between Allen and Shapiro. Shapiro makes a ton of accusations about Allen participating in and witnessing violations. Allen denies them. But Yahoo! appears to have a smoking gun, checks and payments totaling over $92, 000 paid from Shapiro to Allen between April 2008 and January 2009. Caught, red handed, except for the little matter of Allen’s association with Miami. Allen was employed at Miami from 2001 to 2005, and again from August 2009 to present. Here is his full bio from the Yahoo! report: Allen was a student manager for the Hurricanes from 2001 to 2005. From 2005 to 2007, he worked for sports agency ventures for both Nevin Shapiro (Axcess Sports for nine months) and Luther Campbell (Luke Sports & Entertainment for 14 months). After 16 months in the private sector, Allen again returned to work for Shapiro for six months as a consultant on a potential sports representation firm called “The Players Agency.” He returned to Miami in August 2009, and has been on staff as an assistant equipment manager since that date. If you look at the timeline, Allen had no association whatsoever with Miami when Yahoo! can corroborate. payments. It also appears (although Yahoo!’s timeline is a bit ambiguous), that some of the payments were made when Allen worked for Shapiro. At most, Yahoo! simply proved that Shapiro gave a private citizen money a full 3-4 years after his association with UM ended, and depending on the timeline, they might simply be providing evidence that an employer paid an employee. The smoking gun is a water pistol here, as Yahoo! once again presented a litany of financial documentation that did not only not prove a violation, but whose inclusion is completely disingenuous given that it is meant to intentionally mislead, implying that the documents prove payments were made to a member of Miami’s staff when they do nothing of the sort.Basketball
Frank Haith (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AtloSjp2u7kK6FRzLdOeDpRRMuB_?slug=ys-frank_haith_allegations): Full disclosure…I have 7 years of evidence detailing violations Frank Haith made against the game of basketball. None of these are punishable by the NCAA, and Missouri fans aren’t laughing (to all Missouri fans, I am sorry for what is about to happen to your program). On to the serious stuff, Yahoo! accuses Haith (and one of his assistants, detailed below) of the most serious allegation alleged in the entire article…funneling $10,000 to Daquan Jones. Haith denies the accusation. And the proof? Well, if Haith was a player, you would place him firmly in the “Evidence of non-violations” and “Non-linked credit card statements” categories. They have no evidence that Haith actually knew about the money. They provide a credit card statement, phone records and witness testimony that Haith had dinner and went to strip clubs with Shapiro, none of which is a violation. Yahoo! does not attempt to prove that Haith knew of or funneled $10,000.
Jorge Fernandez (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AvaWOVLYV9TffKKMCzLSb8JRMuB_?slug=ys-jorge_fernandez_allegations): Accused of improper contact with an AAU coach. Yahoo! has pictures, they look legit. Yahoo! was justified in printing these accusations.
Jake Morton (http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=AvtI9rKWrxP0mmKrvAGgwH9RMuB_?slug=ys-jake_morton_allegations): There are 2 main allegations against Morton. The first is similar to the accusations against Fernandez, and the proof is similar and the accusation equally well vetted. The more serious accusation is that Morton returned $10,000 that Shapiro had paid to Daquan Jones. There is one source backing this up. No other evidence. It’s hard to prove a cash payment. But it is easy to accuse someone of making one, which happened here.
Continued on next post...

Lott's Bandana
8/18/2011, 07:05 PM
The overall tally is that out of the 10 coaches Yahoo! accused, they had quality evidence against 3.
What does it all mean
As I stated initially, nearly a million hours ago if you bothered to read the entire article (if you did, I sympathize, but no, you can’t have your 4 hours back), my goal here was not to disprove the allegations. I have absolutely no way of doing that. And truth be told, these allegations might mostly be true. The NCAA is conducting an investigation that is already in its 5th month (and which is why the NCAA has been able to clear some of the accused players already). Maybe they have more and better evidence than Yahoo!. They also might uncover new allegations that Yahoo! hasn’t even mentioned. Maybe they will invoke the Death Penalty, and a generation of Hurricane fans that have no idea that Miami has a baseball team will learn who Lazaro Collazo is. I don’t know these things.
Instead, I wanted to take a critical look at how Yahoo! supported their allegations. They claimed to have done thorough research, they claimed to have corroborated all of their accusations, and most everyone has taken them at their word. The truth is they did not corroborate a VAST MAJORITY of their allegations. Keep in mind who the whistle blower is here. This is a man who is not only a proven effective liar, but has a motive to fabricate things. For Yahoo! to allege something, they should require direct proof that the allegations are true. If you can’t prove it, don’t print it should be the mantra for any reporter accusing something (be it an institution or a person) of anything, especially when there is every reason to doubt the accuser. They certainly shouldn’t have taken Shapiro’s word for it.
And yet on many, many occasions, they did just that. When their exhaustive research found no evidence of the infraction, no evidence of any infraction, no evidence tying the player to the allegation, they made those allegations anyway. In other instances, they proved that the players knew a prominent booster (not a violation), but had no evidence that a violation took place. They made those allegations anyway. In other cases, they had 1 witness that says they saw something 1 time. Dubious claim, they should probably at least find another witness since a liar and one witness is hardly proof. They made those allegations anyway. And yes, in other instances, they have strong evidence, certainly worthy of allegation, and obviously those allegations were made.
But the issue here is intellectual dishonesty. It is my opinion that Yahoo! intentionally misrepresented information, made allegations that their evidence did not corroborate, listed out severe allegations then provided evidence that wasn’t even related to the allegations and finally lumped the few instances which they could directly corroborate with the many instances they could not in order to create an illusion of having proved over 70 repeated and flagrant violations, when in fact they did not.
Can you imagine if they had simply been accurate and said, “A Miami booster fingered 72 players. Here are all the allegations he made. We feel we can make a strong case that 12 of these allegations are true. Those allegations all occurred during the Larry Coker Era.”? Would the NCAA be investigating? Absolutely (they were anyway). Would the public still be upset? Yes. Would there be calls for the Death Penalty and the shutting down of the program? Absolutely not.
There is a reason that the President of the NCAA, privy to 5 months of investigative data, decried the “sensational media coverage.” That’s because it is.
I am open to criticism. Maybe Yahoo! has more evidence they didn’t bother to put on their web site that proves unsubstantiated allegations. Maybe I misread some of the evidence. Maybe I mis-categorized some of the athletes in the chart. Just yesterday, I erroneously accused Yahoo! of not doing due diligence because a credit card statement was referred to as being a September bill, when the allegation occurred in October. Several people have pointed out that I was incorrect, and I was. Yahoo!, in text, referred to that as a September statement, when it actually spanned from mid-September to mid-October. Maybe there are instances where I am equally inaccurate here.
But, if this is all the evidence Yahoo! has, and I am reading a majority of it correctly, then Yahoo! is not only the name of the company, but an apt adjective to describe the reporters who made these allegations and the real victims are the unsuspecting public who have largely been duped by shoddy journalism.The author is a Miami Hurricanes' Blogger:

http://allabouttheu.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/renegade-reporter-spells-out-litany-of-accusations-while-often-failing-to-substantiate-his-claims/

Lott's Bandana
8/18/2011, 07:06 PM
Cliff notes:

Yahoo used bad journalistic techniques in uncovering and reporting on this story.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 07:17 PM
I had no doubt when the story broke that not all of it would be true, either due to Shapiro lying/exaggerating out of bitterness and desire for publicity, or Yahoo! not being thorough/honest in their search.

Also:

http://lostangelesblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/paul-dee-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-hypocrisy/

USC gets handed the harshest sanctions since SMU’s death penalty. Paul Dee, a former Miami Athletic Director, is the man behind the firing squad. He said the case against us was “three feet”, as in three feet high of paperwork proving USC was a cesspool. We were made an example of. We were told that we should have known what Reggie Bush and his parents were up to and the fact we didn’t meant we were out of control. To quote Paul, the ultimate hypocrite and ********* in sports, “High profile players demand high-profile compliance.”

Ponzi-scheme and current jailbird Nevin Shapiro detailed 72 counts of illegal benefits given to Miami during Paul Dee’s tenure as their athletic director. Not just gifts. We’re talking prostitutes, cash, strippers and in one case, an abortion. We’re talking money to try to injure rival stars like Tim Tebow in games. We’re talking a decade of paying big name players in every way imaginable. Reggie’s folks got a house from someone who wasn’t even a booster. This looks bad.

What looks worse is that Paul Dee, whose watch this all happened on, was actually CHOSEN by the NCAA to dole out punishment to USC. If there was an un-lobotomized soul on the planet who thought the NCAA had ANY shred of credibility left, any plan of proving that it is anything other than a power-drunk band of robber barons and high school dropouts, I am pretty sure they are wising up to the fact that college football is governed by greedy idiots.

Paul Dee, who cited USC for “not knowing” literally said this of the Miami situation that happened on his watch: ”We didn’t have any suspicion that he was doing anything like this. He didn’t do anything to cause concern.”

bluedogok
8/18/2011, 07:22 PM
It's hard to drop something that wins so much and brings so much attention (positive and negative) to a school.

This time around, the winning ain't there anymore.
When they threatened to drop the program to I-AA or get rid of it completely in 1978 they weren't winning anything.

Al Golden's record at Temple
2010: 8-4
2009: 9-3
2008: 5-7
2007: 4-8
2006: 1-11

Considering how historically bad Temple (think pre-Snyder K-State) has been that is a phenomenal record.

Kind of like he cleaned up North Carolina? Ooops.

Butch davis didnt clean up that program. The image of Miami started to change only when Shannon took over.

Too bad it was all just a smoke screen.
I think he "cleaned it up some" after Johnson and Erickson......but it didn't take much to "clean it up some" after them. I remember a joke about Jimmy Johnson when he was at the Dolphins and his failure to win with them like he did at Dallas and UM, it was the first time that he ever had to deal with a salary cap.

Cliff notes:

Yahoo used bad journalistic techniques in uncovering and reporting on this story.
In the opinion of a biased alum.....

birddog
8/18/2011, 08:22 PM
at 5 foot nothin, a hundred and nothin, i just might be able to be a cane player now.

of course i'd take a dive every game for all you gamblers.

SoonerDan74012
8/18/2011, 09:03 PM
I think the NCAA disagrees with the Blobert Allen of Miami football. Yahoo Sports investigative reporter Dan Wetzel reports.......... NCAA told Miami University it will consider invoking the "willful violator" clause. The last program to get hit with that? None other than SMU. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-miami_violations_statute_of_limitations_081811

Source: Willful violators clause could apply at Miami

By Charles Robinson and Dan Wetzel 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

tweet94
Email
Print

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The NCAA informed University of Miami administrators it will consider invoking its “willful violators” clause and make an exception to the traditional four-year statute of limitations in the Nevin Shapiro case, a university source told Yahoo! Sports.

Traditionally, the NCAA’s bylaws would only allow it to sanction the Hurricanes for infractions that occurred during the four years prior to receiving a letter of inquiry from investigators. For example, if Miami received a letter of inquiry for a case on Sept. 1, 2011, the NCAA could only sanction the school for applicable violations dating back to Sept. 1, 2007. But the clause – reserved for “a pattern of willful violations” – can spin a probe back to the earliest applicable infractions.
Nevin Shapiro said this photo was taken in his luxury box during Miami's 2008 season. From left to right are then-men's basketball assistant coach Jake Morton, Shapiro and William Joseph.
(Special to Yahoo! Sports)

Applied to the Shapiro allegations, it means the NCAA could reach as far back to early 2002, when the booster said he began funneling benefits to Hurricanes players. And if the probe stretched back to 2002, it would overlap with Miami’s two-year probationary period from the baseball program, which was leveled from February 2003 to February 2005. That could potentially tag the Hurricanes athletic program with a “repeat violator” label and make the school further susceptible to the NCAA’s so-called death penalty.

[Y! Sports probe: Who is Nevin Shapiro?]

NCAA president Mark Emmert said that despite the penalty being used only once before in college football – against Southern Methodist University in 1987 – the association isn’t shying away from such a drastic sanction.

“We need to make sure that we’ve got, for the committee on infractions, all the tools they need to create those kinds of deterrents,” Emmert told USA Today. “If that includes the death penalty, I’m fine with that.”

And while the likelihood of the death penalty remains questionable, the possibility of the willful violators clause is not welcome news for an already-embattled athletic department. Miami athletic director Shawn Eichorst released a statement Thursday assuring the school’s commitment to “the integrity of the NCAA investigation” and “demanding the full cooperation of our employees and student-athletes.”

“There are tough times ahead, challenges to overcome and serious decisions to be made, but we will be left standing and we will be stronger as a result,” Eichorst said. “I understand there are unanswered questions, concerns and frustration by many but this athletic department will be defined now and in the future, by our core values, our integrity and our commitment to excellence, and by nothing else. The University of Miami, as an institution of higher learning, is a leader in exploration, achievement and excellence and we will work hard to do our part to live up to that standard.”

Miami photo gallery [Photo gallery: Miami booster parties with athletes]

Shapiro is a Miami booster currently serving a 20-year federal prison term for operation a $930 million Ponzi scheme. He detailed to Yahoo! Sports a wide-ranging eight-year run of violations that include cash, gifts, prostitution, entertainment at nightclubs and strip clubs, parties at his mansion, yacht cruises and other benefits. Yahoo! Sports found at least seven coaches, three support staff members and 72 athletes with direct involvement or knowledge of infractions committed by the booster from 2002 to 2010.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/18/2011, 09:29 PM
Does anyone remember when Mark Cuban wanted to ban website reporters from the Dallas Mavs locker room a year or so ago. Love him or hate him this is why.

I still believe the canes are dirtier and slimier than all the people who fall into the "everyone does it" category...but it wouldnt surprise me if a ton of this is one jerk's imagination reported as fact by people who couldnt care less if a story is really true or not before they publish

LASooner
8/18/2011, 09:35 PM
The only man who can turn the Miami ship around is the mighty Ed Gennero but only if he brings Wally Rig with him.

sooner59
8/18/2011, 10:37 PM
NCAA president Mark Emmert said that despite the penalty being used only once before in college football – against Southern Methodist University in 1987 – the association isn’t shying away from such a drastic sanction.

Hey Miami, **** just got real. :eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/18/2011, 11:18 PM
One thing about Shapiro. It seems he has reems of evidence and copies of everything...I think the "U" is done...