PDA

View Full Version : Paying College Athletes...

JLEW1818
8/16/2011, 10:40 AM
Rufus Alexander
"I'm getting tired of people saying pay college athletes, well if you pay them how about they take away your scholarship and you pay for school and books."

:pop:

Illuminati
8/16/2011, 10:56 AM
Rufus Alexander
"I'm getting tired of people saying pay college athletes, well if you pay them how about they take away your scholarship and you pay for school and books."

:pop:

He is exactly right. These college athletes today don't understand how many people struggle to pay for college. It is a privilege to be a college athlete. Free education is plenty of compensation!

IndySooner
8/16/2011, 10:58 AM
It's impossible to pay college athletes. It will never happen.

delhalew
8/16/2011, 11:18 AM

Not to mention it's a dumb arsed idea.

badger
8/16/2011, 11:21 AM
I miss yelling Ruuuuuuuuu at games. Any chance he can get another year of eligibility?

Flagstaffsooner
8/16/2011, 12:16 PM
Sure OU might be able to afford it, but not most other schools. And then there is the title IX thing and minor sports.
Hell, I didnt get tuition, books and board for my All-American performance on the Beer Drinking and Fart Lighting team.

Cornfed
8/16/2011, 03:14 PM
You mean they are at college to got classes?? Who woulda thought?

Okla-homey
8/16/2011, 03:37 PM
He is exactly right. These college athletes today don't understand how many people struggle to pay for college. It is a privilege to be a college athlete. Free education is plenty of compensation!

I say boolshinola. PAY THEM! At least as to football players. They get hurt. Often badly. Moreover, they suffer TBI's that will cause them problems later in life...not to mention when those orthopedic injuries that "healed" in their 20's come raging back with a vengeance in their 40's and 50's.

And if any of you homos say the four years of "free" college is compensation enough, I"d be happy to introduce you to my old colege roomie who played D1AA football for four years and who now has Parkinson's Disease at 51.

And here's another damn thing. The schools and the merch pimps make bajillions off these kids. WTF is wrong with paying them a decent cash stipend in addition to their "free" edumacashuns? What's more, it's sheer dumbosity to take an 18 y/o out of the 'hood or Goatscrotum, TX and plunk him down among thousands of well-to-do kids on a college campus and not expect him to feel like a bum because he doesn't have any nice things.

Finally, NCAA needs to start a trust, like the NFL Players Assoc. to take care of kids who are permanently injured playing or practicing. Frankly, it's obscene that doesn't already exist.

sooneredaco
8/16/2011, 03:43 PM

That's not what Cam Newton said

Memtig14
8/16/2011, 07:30 PM

I don't think they should be "Paid"...............

BUT.....there is NOTHING FREE about the education they get. They earn it almost every day and most pay for it the rest of their lives.

sooneredaco
8/16/2011, 08:38 PM

What if you have a booster named Nevin Shapiro? Then is it possible?

CBUS_SOONER
8/16/2011, 08:39 PM
Word RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

Soonrs
8/16/2011, 09:08 PM
I love his answer. Why not allow the university to insure Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors that are NFL or pro football hopefuls. Since it would be term insurance, it would not impact the universities too much financially and would allow the prospective player a chance to insure their talent. It could also be offered after a freshmen/sophomore season to insure that it would not (necessarily) be an enticement to signing with one university over the next.

JLEW1818
8/16/2011, 09:26 PM
i will never feel sorry for any person getting a college education paid for. never ever ever. people would kill for that.

go eat on your ****ing school meal plan everyday... i don't give a damn. or quit. if you don't like college football, quit, and go sell drugs.

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 09:52 PM

For universities, yes. That's what boosters are for, though.

kbsooner21
8/16/2011, 10:45 PM
And if any of you homos say the four years of "free" college is compensation enough, I"d be happy to introduce you to my old colege roomie who played D1AA football for four years and who now has Parkinson's Disease at 51.

And what about the same people that have Parkinson's before they were 51 years old and never played a down of football? Should they be paid as well?

kbsooner21
8/16/2011, 10:48 PM
No offense Homey, but I fail to find the correlation between playing college football and somehow falling prey to Parkinson's :O

Memtig14
8/16/2011, 10:59 PM
No offense Homey, but I fail to find the correlation between playing college football and somehow falling prey to Parkinson's :O

Because people that suffer a lot of head trauma are much more likely to develop Parkinson's than regular people..... would be my first guess.

Memtig14
8/16/2011, 11:01 PM
And what about the same people that have Parkinson's before they were 51 years old and never played a down of football? Should they be paid as well?

I venture to guess that a lot of them are paid........by the government.

I don't mind giving guys expenses plus $100 a month or so....but not to "pay" them. We used to get $20 a month for "laundry" money....heck of a deal.

Memtig14
8/16/2011, 11:04 PM
i will never feel sorry for any person getting a college education paid for. never ever ever. people would kill for that.

go eat on your ****ing school meal plan everyday... i don't give a damn. or quit. if you don't like college football, quit, and go sell drugs.

How about the quadriplegics that will never walk again? You have no sympathy for them? Never seems like a pretty harsh word.

Memtig14
8/16/2011, 11:07 PM
I love his answer. Why not allow the university to insure Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors that are NFL or pro football hopefuls. Since it would be term insurance, it would not impact the universities too much financially and would allow the prospective player a chance to insure their talent. It could also be offered after a freshmen/sophomore season to insure that it would not (necessarily) be an enticement to signing with one university over the next.

Who is to decide who has potential to go pro??? How about if you just take care of future medical bills of guys that spend the rest of their lives living with the injuries they received while playing.......whether or not they had pro potential?

TIMB0B
8/16/2011, 11:11 PM
I say boolshinola. PAY THEM! At least as to football players. They get hurt. Often badly. Moreover, they suffer TBI's that will cause them problems later in life...not to mention when those orthopedic injuries that "healed" in their 20's come raging back with a vengeance in their 40's and 50's.

And here's another damn thing. The schools and the merch pimps make bajillions off these kids. WTF is wrong with paying them a decent cash stipend in addition to their "free" edumacashuns? What's more, it's sheer dumbosity to take an 18 y/o out of the 'hood or Goatscrotum, TX and plunk him down among thousands of well-to-do kids on a college campus and not expect him to feel like a bum because he doesn't have any nice things.

Finally, NCAA needs to start a trust, like the NFL Players Assoc. to take care of kids who are permanently injured playing or practicing. Frankly, it's obscene that doesn't already exist.

If kids want/need more money than what they do receive they can apply for student loans/grants like the rest of us. Also, if they don't put all their eggs into one basket (making it to the NFL) and focus on their education as well, getting a good job will be more than enough compensation on top of not having any college debt. When a scholarship athlete graduates with nearly 6-figure debt, then we can talk.

agoo758
8/16/2011, 11:21 PM
I am done with this stupidity. 99 percent of the people in this thread contribute FAR less to their respective industries than a number of these athletes for big time programs, yet they won't shut up about how these kids "should be happy" with something far less than they make yet I don't see them giving any of their money back. That is all I am going to say, and I am sure they are going to completely miss the point yet again when they respond to this post. This is the last comment I am making on this issue.

Memtig14
8/16/2011, 11:26 PM
When a scholarship athlete graduates with nearly 6-figure debt, then we can talk.

How about when they graduate with pins, screws, rods, scars and pain they live with for the rest of their life even to the point of taking pain pills that can do more than just relieve pain?

Curly Bill
8/16/2011, 11:42 PM
I am done with this stupidity. 99 percent of the people in this thread contribute FAR less to their respective industries than a number of these athletes for big time programs, yet they won't shut up about how these kids "should be happy" with something far less than they make yet I don't see them giving any of their money back. That is all I am going to say, and I am sure they are going to completely miss the point yet again when they respond to this post. This is the last comment I am making on this issue.

You promise? :rolleyes:

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 01:40 AM
nm

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 01:41 AM
How about when they graduate with pins, screws, rods, scars and pain they live with for the rest of their life even to the point of taking pain pills that can do more than just relieve pain?

I had two knee surgeries due to football in high school. Torn Meniscus, then partially torn MCL with complete tear of ACL. My knee was totally effed, and continues to be an ailment 14 years later. Should I ask my high school to pay for that? College athletes get their's paid for, plus rehab. I wasn't so lucky.

LASooner
8/17/2011, 02:08 AM
How about a trust fund payable on graduation? If you bolt early your funds go into general scholarship.

GKeeper316
8/17/2011, 02:15 AM
how do you decide which players get paid? all of them? the ones from profitable programs? the football program at OU is the only one that makes money, and largely subsidizes all the rest.

XingTheRubicon
8/17/2011, 08:11 AM

The first bolded part is naive at best.

The second bolded part is so very, very true. It is an absolute travesty that a small percentage of the billions of dollars couldn't be set aside for players life long injuries.

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 10:47 AM
How about the quadriplegics that will never walk again? You have no sympathy for them? Never seems like a pretty harsh word.

what are you talking about? They would still finish on aa athletic medical scholarship? Of course i would feel bad for them if they got hurt. but that does not mean they should get paid extra? wtf?

PLAYING COLLEGE SPORTS IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT.

Chiliman
8/17/2011, 11:22 AM

Agreed. If you paid them a "small stipend", some will still want more. If you are a fan of Friday Night Lights, the story line about the QB being recruited and his father's involvement is more truth than fiction.

47straight
8/17/2011, 11:54 AM
And if any of you homos say the four years of "free" college is compensation enough,

You just called Coach Stoops a homo.

Memtig14
8/17/2011, 12:46 PM
what are you talking about? They would still finish on aa athletic medical scholarship? Of course i would feel bad for them if they got hurt. but that does not mean they should get paid extra? wtf?

PLAYING COLLEGE SPORTS IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT.

You said:

I just asked if you would feel sorry for someone that was severely injured and became a quadriplegic. You answered that.

I don't think players should be paid. I got paid a little...but would have done it for free and been grateful.

My argument is that you can't pay them but perhaps you could have a fund instead for those with injuries that need future care and can't afford it. That might be way too hard to figure out, I don't know, but I would rather try to do that than to try and pay them now.

Memtig14
8/17/2011, 01:02 PM
You said:

......When a scholarship athlete graduates with nearly 6-figure debt, then we can talk.
My point was in answer to your statement above. Scholarship athletes can come out with nearly 6-figure debts.....if you consider future medical bills etc.

I had two knee surgeries due to football in high school. Torn Meniscus, then partially torn MCL with complete tear of ACL. My knee was totally effed, and continues to be an ailment 14 years later. Should I ask my high school to pay for that? College athletes get their's paid for, plus rehab. I wasn't so lucky.

I too had multiple knee surgeries plus various broken bones and soft tissue injuries. I am reminded of it every morning when I get out of bed and limp into the bathroom or can't get on my knees and play with my grandkids.

If you will read my posts I have never said they should be paid. But you can't say college kids shouldn't get "anything" because HS kids don't.

The argument is that college kids should get money because they help generate a lot of money. I don't agree. They get an education and that should be enough. But, instead of arguing to pay them, how about setting up a fund to help pay for kids who are paralized or have future medical bills. I could see trying to do that long before I would "pay" them.

As far as you asking your HS to "pay for that?"...You might if they generated hundreds of millions of dollars a year from HS FB.

TIMB0B
8/17/2011, 03:00 PM
You said:

My point was in answer to your statement above. Scholarship athletes can come out with nearly 6-figure debts.....if you consider future medical bills etc.

I too had multiple knee surgeries plus various broken bones and soft tissue injuries. I am reminded of it every morning when I get out of bed and limp into the bathroom or can't get on my knees and play with my grandkids.

If you will read my posts I have never said they should be paid. But you can't say college kids shouldn't get "anything" because HS kids don't.

The argument is that college kids should get money because they help generate a lot of money. I don't agree. They get an education and that should be enough. But, instead of arguing to pay them, how about setting up a fund to help pay for kids who are paralized or have future medical bills. I could see trying to do that long before I would "pay" them.

As far as you asking your HS to "pay for that?"...You might if they generated hundreds of millions of dollars a year from HS FB.

I think the NFLPA is still arguing for post-career medical as well. If that billion dollar industry can't come to an agreement yet, then it may be awhile before college comes up with something. I have nothing against medical pensions.

Jacie
8/17/2011, 03:03 PM
Combining this thread with another story that broke this week, it would appear that the U. of Miami already endorsed this concept. Far from punishing them, the NCAA is going to reward them for their forward-thinking . . .

Okie35
8/17/2011, 03:08 PM

I say this all the time. Some people play hundreds of thousands for school, especially for 5 years or more.

JLEW1818
8/17/2011, 04:11 PM
You said:

I just asked if you would feel sorry for someone that was severely injured and became a quadriplegic. You answered that.

I don't think players should be paid. I got paid a little...but would have done it for free and been grateful.

My argument is that you can't pay them but perhaps you could have a fund instead for those with injuries that need future care and can't afford it. That might be way too hard to figure out, I don't know, but I would rather try to do that than to try and pay them now.

well i guess they should call Obama and Nancy to see what can be done?

Let's pay Womens tennis players too

MeMyself&Me
8/17/2011, 04:43 PM
This is the last comment I am making on this issue.

You promise? :rolleyes:

Curly, you beet me to it.

Really, while I'm firmly in that "They don't know how good they have it" camp, I wouldn't mind some insurance set aside for serious lifelong debilitating injuries that are a direct result of playing college football. But that's about it.

winout
8/17/2011, 04:51 PM
Get rid of the helmets and facemasks and injuries would be cut by 79%. Eliminating cleats and artificial turf would bring it to 99%.

Memtig14
8/17/2011, 10:47 PM
well i guess they should call Obama and Nancy to see what can be done?

Let's pay Womens tennis players too

I think you just want to argue........

triplet
8/18/2011, 10:30 AM
Frequent lurker here so go easy on me if you don't agree with my thoughts:

If you pay athletes(football, basketball, whatever) there will always be someone who is willing to pay more above the rules. All you really do is raise the bar as far as what is considered cheating.

The only way to totally clean the football and basketball programs up is for the players associations of both professional leagues to agree to punish the rule breakers when they turn pro. I understand that this will never, not in a million years, happen b/c of the Constitional arguments that would fall clearly in favor of the player. For one, getting paid, taken to dinner, flown wherever, partying on some elses dime is not illegal. It is simply against the rules of the NCAA.

So that being said what can only be done is to make the penalties so harsh on the schools, coaches, etc as harsh as can be and apply them without predjuice. In today's enviroment it is a game of hide and seek and for the big schools more often than not the penalty makes the crime worth it.

If the NCAA had the manpower and time to investigate and turn over every rock on all the schools in D1 they would all be on probation for something. So schools look the other way hoping that they don't get caught and rest assured that if they are it will not be SMU bad although it probably should be.

Thats all for now and I apologize in advance if my arguments are not coherent or make no sense!

Memtig14
8/18/2011, 12:24 PM
It is OK by me.

silverwheels
8/18/2011, 05:00 PM
Posted this in the Miami thread, but since people are too busy hating on The U, it might get more views here: One Miami Grad's Take on NCAA Hypocrisy (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/29532522).

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2011, 06:11 PM
The only way to totally clean the football and basketball programs up is for the players associations of both professional leagues to agree to punish the rule breakers when they turn pro. I understand that this will never, not in a million years, happen b/c of the Constitional arguments that would fall clearly in favor of the player.

Amazingly, this just happened to Terrelle Pryor. It was done by the NFL and not the players association, but Pryor cannot play or even practice for the first 5 games this year if he is taken in the supplemental draft. The motivation given is that he messed with the integrity of draft eligibility by hiring an agent and forcing himself to be NCAA ineligible. So it's not really the same deal since they are not punishing him for the free ink :), but sort of an NCAA/NFL carry over thing.

BTW, I think that 5 game suspension is huge in his case because he is going in as a project already. I say it drops him a round or 2, but hard to ever know.

Okla-homey
8/18/2011, 06:17 PM
Posted this in the Miami thread, but since people are too busy hating on The U, it might get more views here: One Miami Grad's Take on NCAA Hypocrisy (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/29532522).

"I don't know much about players taking 'illegal benefits' and if I did I wouldn't be snitching about it like a lowlife, but I can tell you this: I hope to the bottom of my soul that every player in America is on the take, because they're getting shafted. The powers that be make too much money this way to ever change, and the rest of the country seems far too committed to delusions, institutional partisanship, and jealousy to see their own glass houses, so take what you can get while you can get it, youngbloods. You earned it."

My favorite part^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AMEN!

ouflak
8/22/2011, 05:18 AM
NFL enforcing NCAA punishments (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6873163/terrelle-pryor-eligible-nfl-sit-first-five-games)....

So since the NFL is now enforcing NCAA regulations, shouldn't college football players be able to have access to the NFLPA for representation? Seems fair enough.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/22/2011, 06:57 AM
copy & paste my response to this question a few months ago.
Here's my take.

1) There are pro sports and there are amateur sports. THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN. You cannot pay college football players. YOU EITHER HAVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL OR NFL. If you are going to play college football players, what's the point of the NFL???

2) Kids think they're good enough to be paid? Let them go to the NFL..even straight from HS. Keep the 3-year rule for college kids and let the ones who are monsters go straight to the pros and make their money. So they might not be taken in the first round, but hey, they wanna make money that badly-- go right ahead.

3) A college scholarship and the benefits that come from it are pretty obvious:
-Kids are given living expenses (food, housing, and even a little extra) for 4-5 years while on scholarship.
-Kids are given tuition and books, tutors and academic advising, and every other kind of help to aid them in receiving their diploma. Do you know how much more the average D1A college graduate makes than a high school graduate?
-Kids are given the PLATFORM to reach the NFL and be taken in the NFL draft. No, you aren't assured a future in football. Heck, I **PAY** for my schooling, and I'm not assured an acceptance into my field of work.
-Kids are given top coaching, training, and accessibility to top-notch facilities--all far above what the high school level offers.
ALL OF THIS IS FREE!

4) "The school makes tons of money off of the athletes."
NO, the school makes tons of money off of the fans. Fans go to games, fans fill seats, fans buy the licensed t-shirts, and fans turn on the TVs.
Let's say we let #2 happen and the field of talent of college athletes is severely affected. Little Jimmy Stevens is our running back. I guarantee you college football will not take a huge hit. It's not about the players. It's about the fans.

BermudaSooner
8/22/2011, 08:22 AM

THIS^^^. People should be paid for the value they bring...I don't understand why this wouldn't apply to college athletes.

It isn't for you to decide whether "someone else has enough." From previous discussions on this board, most of you would never consider limiting how much money Warren Buffet can make, yet for some 20 year old kid, you would?...Because you didn't get a free ride and so he should be "grateful." Jealousy is not a reason to limit someone else's income.

Nobody has seemed to make the only valid point--that paying players would hurt the competitiveness of college football. You would end up with 10-15 super teams and 100 1986 Kansas States.

MeMyself&Me
8/22/2011, 09:08 AM
copy & paste my response to this question a few months ago.
Here's my take.

1) There are pro sports and there are amateur sports. THERE IS NO IN BETWEEN. You cannot pay college football players. YOU EITHER HAVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL OR NFL. If you are going to play college football players, what's the point of the NFL???

2) Kids think they're good enough to be paid? Let them go to the NFL..even straight from HS. Keep the 3-year rule for college kids and let the ones who are monsters go straight to the pros and make their money. So they might not be taken in the first round, but hey, they wanna make money that badly-- go right ahead.

3) A college scholarship and the benefits that come from it are pretty obvious:
-Kids are given living expenses (food, housing, and even a little extra) for 4-5 years while on scholarship.
-Kids are given tuition and books, tutors and academic advising, and every other kind of help to aid them in receiving their diploma. Do you know how much more the average D1A college graduate makes than a high school graduate?
-Kids are given the PLATFORM to reach the NFL and be taken in the NFL draft. No, you aren't assured a future in football. Heck, I **PAY** for my schooling, and I'm not assured an acceptance into my field of work.
-Kids are given top coaching, training, and accessibility to top-notch facilities--all far above what the high school level offers.
ALL OF THIS IS FREE!

4) "The school makes tons of money off of the athletes."
NO, the school makes tons of money off of the fans. Fans go to games, fans fill seats, fans buy the licensed t-shirts, and fans turn on the TVs.
Let's say we let #2 happen and the field of talent of college athletes is severely affected. Little Jimmy Stevens is our running back. I guarantee you college football will not take a huge hit. It's not about the players. It's about the fans.

Great post.

THIS^^^. People should be paid for the value they bring...I don't understand why this wouldn't apply to college athletes.

It isn't for you to decide whether "someone else has enough." From previous discussions on this board, most of you would never consider limiting how much money Warren Buffet can make, yet for some 20 year old kid, you would?...Because you didn't get a free ride and so he should be "grateful." Jealousy is not a reason to limit someone else's income.

Nobody has seemed to make the only valid point--that paying players would hurt the competitiveness of college football. You would end up with 10-15 super teams and 100 1986 Kansas States.

I don't think anyone here is jealous. Just that we know they have it so good that it's amazing some people are complaining. An yes, paying players would hurt the competitive balance of college football. We've said it before, if not in this thread, then in others on the same subject. To those that want to pay players, they just don't care to think about what that means.

BermudaSooner
8/22/2011, 09:18 AM
Great post.

I don't think anyone here is jealous. Just that we know they have it so good that it's amazing some people are complaining. An yes, paying players would hurt the competitive balance of college football. We've said it before, if not in this thread, then in others on the same subject. To those that want to pay players, they just don't care to think about what that means.

I'm more concerned what the limiting of people's income means rather than "what paying players means."

Answer this then--why does Stanford get to "pay" an athlete 2-3 times what OU gets to "pay" an athlete--measured in terms of what a Stanford tuition costs versus OU?

MeMyself&Me
8/22/2011, 09:44 AM
Answer this then--why does Stanford get to "pay" an athlete 2-3 times what OU gets to "pay" an athlete--measured in terms of what a Stanford tuition costs versus OU?

Stanford costs more than OU and therefore the scholarship is worth more... what's your point?

If you want to destroy the competitive balance of college football (which you've already admitted would happen) then you ultimately destroy the sport which not only removes the ability to pay the athletes to begin with, you destroy the method of getting a free education that is in place now. Are you trying to say that armature athletes should be paid but can't be paid?

As for limiting their income, there are other options for athletes. This has been discussed before. NCAA FOOTBALL IS NOT THE ONLY THING THAT AN ATHLETE CAN DO. Just that it's so much better than any other option for MOST young football players, we forget to consider the other options.

Too many people are looking at this like it's a destination instead of a stopping point to prepare for your future.

ouflak
8/22/2011, 10:29 AM
NFL enforcing NCAA punishments (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6873163/terrelle-pryor-eligible-nfl-sit-first-five-games)....

So since the NFL is now enforcing NCAA regulations, shouldn't college football players be able to have access to the NFLPA for representation? Seems fair enough.

MeMyself&Me
8/22/2011, 10:46 AM
While I agree it looks like the NFL is supporting the NCAA because the penalty is exactly the same, it really is an NFL issue that was imposed at the NFL level. NCAA didn't make the NFL follow its lead. NFLPA can fight it at the NFL level where it belongs. No need to meddle in the NCAA affairs and on this particular issue, the NCAA has no control over the NFL ruling anyway. Even if NFLPA representation could overturn the NCAA ruling, the NFL ruling would still be in play so what's the point? That's probably why nobody replied to that post the first time.

BermudaSooner
8/22/2011, 12:01 PM
Stanford costs more than OU and therefore the scholarship is worth more... what's your point?

You seem all about fairness...how is this fair? That scholarship is worth more--why couldn't OU make up the difference with cash?

I believe in the rights of the individual, and here those rights are severely curtailed. A full ride scholarship athlete can not have a job during the school year. That's absurd. You of course get into the whole "turn on the automatic sprinklers on the football field" jobs, but if you just let the kids be paid, it wouldn't matter.

Someone asked who gets paid---the answer is simple. It is the same as how your boss decides how much to pay you and how much to pay your co-workers...the market determines it. This is still America, right? I don't think anybody is advocating setting up Soviet styled pay boards. OU offers a kid a full ride plus $10,000 a year, OSU offers him the same but $20,000 a year--fine--he makes his choice. Same thing as when anybody else looks for a job.

jkjsooner
8/22/2011, 01:44 PM

I'm okay with paying players a small amount if it were financially feasible. You would have to take in Title IX considerations as well as competitiveness considerations. Even small payments become troublesome when you factor these two things in.

Remember, even OU's athletic department was deep in the red in the '90s (even during Gibbs's tenure).

As for what these kids contribute, I do think it's significant but let's not overstate it. The traditions play by far the largest role in the value of college sports. Just look at the travelling basketball teams that comprise of ex-NCAA basketball players. The kids may have been stars in school but without the school their value is minimal. They are relegated to pre-season fodder for university teams. If you had a semi-pro team that was as talented as OU you'd have maybe a few hundred people interested in seeing them play. If you had a minor league in football you would not have near the interest as there is in college football - even if those teams were much more talented.

If the universities drastically increased academic requirements for athletes (cutting out a large percentage of the talent pool) college football would go on just as it does today. The teams might not be as talented but we would hardly notice as long as we're better than Texas/OSU/etc.

MeMyself&Me
8/22/2011, 01:50 PM
Fair? I had to go back and look. Never typed that word in this thread. You must have me confused with someone else. As to the difference in value in scholarships, if a student athlete valued the difference, or more accurately, valued what Stanford offered more than what OU offered, he could certainly CHOSE to go there if Stanford wanted him. The thing is, many players place a value on where they play and their chances as succeeding personally or competing as a team as well as other factors. However, once you start throwing cash at it the situation, no one is going anywhere but where the cash is.

As to your free market criticism, it only works if you only look at NCAA college football as the only option. There are other ways to play football. They don't have to play college football at an NCAA member institution. They can play NFL (once removed from high school by 3 years), semi-pro (no age problems there), arena, Canadian pro, and even NAIA college football. The vast majority of players out of high school CHOSE to play football at NCAA member institutions because it's the best deal going.

If you're so worried about fee market opportunity and the plight of athletes, why don't you work to try to start up a new professional league that takes kids right out of high school. I bet not a single college institution would fight you on it. Hell, you may even be able to lease some of their stadiums.

As to your suggested 'solution' to your perceived injustice, most schools could not do that. At all. Not close. You mentioned in a prior post that only 10 schools would be competitive, I think it would be less than 5. A school from California, a school from Texas, a school from Florida, and a school from Ohio would win the national title every year. Of course we'd get tired of watching Texas put up 60 points in the first half in all but 2 or 3 games a year and we'd all stop watching, but hey, lets not worry about that. Afterall, once we stop watching... there won't be any reason to give scholarships, much less cash.

OU_Sooners75
8/22/2011, 02:01 PM

Well, I think the trust is a very good idea...but paying them while they are in school is not.

Sure it is easy for someone to say, "just for football," but lets get real here. You start paying football, where does it end?

Why isnt a $100,000 education good enough? Most kids that attend the major universities don't get a full ride. They have to take out loans and grants to pay for it. Then when they are finished, they have a huge debt to pay back. The full-ride scholarship athletes have ZERO debt when leaving school!

Sorry to hear about your friend. But I too have a friend that has parkinson's. Guess what...He never played an organized sport in his life! So you cannot say that your friend getting parkinson's is due to playing football!

Okie35
8/22/2011, 02:18 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?157731-College-Football-Blueprint-for-Change-(Full-Video)

First topic on here... Bob is right.

trwxxa
8/22/2011, 07:29 PM
I do not feel the players should be paid. The trust idea does have merit, and can be taken a step further.

Add a royalty for any licensed jersey with the players number on it. The player has access to the royalty once they leave the program.

MeMyself&Me
8/22/2011, 10:24 PM
Add a royalty for any licensed jersey with the players number on it. The player has access to the royalty once they leave the program.

You're getting into effecting the competitive balance though. It doesn't take a genius to be able to tell that the same star player's jersey will sell more if he's playing for Texas than for Tech.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/22/2011, 11:17 PM
Again, playing football for the University of Oklahoma or any other college is not only a CHOICE made by the football player, it's a PRIVILEGE. You need to take care of your family? That's fine--graduate high school and get a job at Jiffy Lube. Nobody is forcing you to choose this path. Sorry, but Adrian Peterson was wrong, it's not slavery. There's an exit door and you can take it at any time. You'll find out the real world--the one that will pay you for your work-- is not as kind to you as your university life.

ouflak
8/23/2011, 01:48 AM
While I agree it looks like the NFL is supporting the NCAA because the penalty is exactly the same, it really is an NFL issue that was imposed at the NFL level.

No, it was an NCAA issue. It had absolutely nothing to do with the NFL. It was none of their business. Or so one would believe. However these are both professional organizations in charge of multi-billion dollar industries that decided to cooperate on punitive measures for one of their athletes. Fair enough. That's business. Businesses cooperate often and the world goes round and round. But if NCAA athletes can expect punitive measure from the NFL for NCAA infractions, then they should be able to have the same representation against those infractions as any athlete competing for these organizations. Again, Fair enough. Is that not reasonable?

NCAA didn't make the NFL follow its lead.

So you're saying the guys at the NFL head office were just perusing the latest sports headlines, came across this unrelated-to-them topic, and one of them thought out loud, "Hey guys! I've got an idea!".

Right, ok.

NFLPA can fight it at the NFL level where it belongs. No need to meddle in the NCAA affairs and on this particular issue, the NCAA has no control over the NFL ruling anyway.

Meddle in NCAA affairs? They imposed a punishment for NCAA infractions that had absolutely nothing to do with them! What if the NFL had come out and said it would be a 3 game suspension instead because, "We, the NFL, feel that the five game suspension was too much....". Would you class that as meddling? :)

Even if NFLPA representation could overturn the NCAA ruling, the NFL ruling would still be in play so what's the point? That's probably why nobody replied to that post the first time.

I don't think it works like that. The NFLPA doesn't 'overturn' anybody including the NFL itself. They merely represent the best interests of the athletes as a whole and do their best to make sure that any policies are fair and likewise fairly implemented with regard to those interests. They fight to ensure rules, salaries, public image, revenue sharing (from merchandising and other sources) all meet with their standards.

I think the reason nobody replied to my post earlier is because allowing the NFLPA to represent college athletes opens up a can of worms the size of the Rose Bowl.

You're getting into effecting the competitive balance though. It doesn't take a genius to be able to tell that the same star player's jersey will sell more if he's playing for Texas than for Tech.

It sure doesn't. The NCAA has figured this out to the tune of millions and counting.

MeMyself&Me
8/23/2011, 06:33 AM
No, it was an NCAA issue. It had absolutely nothing to do with the NFL. It was none of their business. Or so one would believe. However these are both professional organizations in charge of multi-billion dollar industries that decided to cooperate on punitive measures for one of their athletes. Fair enough. That's business. Businesses cooperate often and the world goes round and round. But if NCAA athletes can expect punitive measure from the NFL for NCAA infractions, then they should be able to have the same representation against those infractions as any athlete competing for these organizations. Again, Fair enough. Is that not reasonable?

So you're saying the guys at the NFL head office were just perusing the latest sports headlines, came across this unrelated-to-them topic, and one of them thought out loud, "Hey guys! I've got an idea!".

Right, ok.

Meddle in NCAA affairs? They imposed a punishment for NCAA infractions that had absolutely nothing to do with them! What if the NFL had come out and said it would be a 3 game suspension instead because, "We, the NFL, feel that the five game suspension was too much....". Would you class that as meddling? :)

I don't think it works like that. The NFLPA doesn't 'overturn' anybody including the NFL itself. They merely represent the best interests of the athletes as a whole and do their best to make sure that any policies are fair and likewise fairly implemented with regard to those interests. They fight to ensure rules, salaries, public image, revenue sharing (from merchandising and other sources) all meet with their standards.

I think the reason nobody replied to my post earlier is because allowing the NFLPA to represent college athletes opens up a can of worms the size of the Rose Bowl.

It sure doesn't. The NCAA has figured this out to the tune of millions and counting.

What Prior did was an NCAA issue but the NFL's ruling is a NFL issue. No, the NCAA didn't make the NFL do that. No, the NFL didn't have to do that because he had issues in the NCAA. If the NFLPA fought to get the NCAA ruling overturned, the NFL one would still stand. Makes no sense what you propose. Let the NFLPA fight the NFL to overturn that ruling because that's the only place it matters. You're so far out there on this one it like you're arguing we never went to the moon.

ouflak
8/23/2011, 10:51 AM
Ok, so I think there is a bit of misunderstanding as to what the NFLPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Players_Association) does. They are a labor union. That's it (they also do some good stuff for charities though, that is very notable). So I'm sure you can see that they wouldn't be 'fighting to get the NCAA ruling overturned'. They are a labor union, in particular they are the labor union for NFL players. They don't even really fight the NFL on very specific issues such as this Terrelle Pryor case. They stand their ground on industry wide rules and regulations. You are absolutely right to say that I am far out on this one. Can you imagine if college athletes HAD A LABOR UNION? Think about that for even one moment.

Now think about this even further. The NFL implemented a NCAA punishment. They have not only invited themselves into the internal affairs of the NCAA, they have also implicitly invited the NFLPA. If I were the ones at the NCAA, I would have told the NFL to go the moon with this idea of metering out NCAA punishments. It is a wickedly slippery slope. But what's done is done.

Hey I'm all for players getting their fare share, but even I don't want to go there. The idea is not only preposterous, it is very very dangerous. And I can't believe the NCAA let the NFL anywhere near this.

Now back to the land of the (hopefully) absurd.... *shrug* Since they have allowed the NFL to implement NCAA punishments, shouldn't the NCAA football players have access to the NFLPA for representation?

MeMyself&Me
8/23/2011, 01:02 PM
I see where you're coming from. And by the way, I know what the NFLPA is. Didn't want to go into saying legal help provided by NFLPA at every sentence, post was long enough as it is. Anyway, the NCAA still doesn't have the ability to tell the NFL not to do that. Really is out of their control completely.

trwxxa
8/23/2011, 09:29 PM

If the kid is good enough for the school to sell a jersey with his number on it, why shouldn't he get a cut. The royalty amount would be the same, per jersey, across all of D-1. If something happens and the kid does not make it to NFL stardom, at least he gets a little something back.

SOONER STEAKER
8/23/2011, 09:35 PM
If you go back and pay all of us old athletes I'm for it.

MeMyself&Me
8/23/2011, 09:43 PM
If the kid is good enough for the school to sell a jersey with his number on it, why shouldn't he get a cut. The royalty amount would be the same, per jersey, across all of D-1. If something happens and the kid does not make it to NFL stardom, at least he gets a little something back.

Because the same athlete would sell more jerseys playing for Texas than he would playing for Tech. There's more too it than just if he is good or not and it would give schools that have a large fan base an even bigger advantage than they already have in recruiting.