PDA

View Full Version : Quibids?

achiro
8/16/2011, 10:17 AM
Any of you ever buy anything from there?

OULenexaman
8/16/2011, 10:19 AM
where?

Partial Qualifier
8/16/2011, 10:20 AM
I have not, but I'd do some pretty nasty things to the chick on their commercials

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 10:22 AM
where?

Quibids,
Please try to Pay Tention.

saucysoonergal
8/16/2011, 10:27 AM
Its a scam. It costs a dollar to bid so every bid you make drives the price up a buck. Sure is says it cost pennies on the dollar, but when you add in the bid prices, it is just better to go to Best Buy.

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2011, 10:27 AM
There are several of those type of sites going right now. Skoreit and Bezid are two others. The whole thing seems pretty shady to me. Even though the price only goes up by a penny per bid, you have to buy the bids for a dollar each. So, even though they say that they sold an I-Pod for $7.80, the company actually made $780 off of that auction. Pretty good profit for the auction company.

I've heard allegations that they use bots to drive the prices up, but don't know if there is any truth to that.

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2011, 10:28 AM
Or, what Saucy said.

Midtowner
8/16/2011, 10:33 AM
It's an innovative OKC company that creates jobs and makes money from people who are not under any sort of duress whatsoever to fork over their hard earned money.

What's not to like?

saucysoonergal
8/16/2011, 10:37 AM
I just wish I would have thought of it first. I saw a Quibids guy at Target buying an Ipad the other day. I wonder if that was for a winner? (well, he had a quibids t-shirt on)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/16/2011, 10:39 AM
Its a scam. It costs a dollar to bid so every bid you make drives the price up a buck. Sure is says it cost pennies on the dollar, but when you add in the bid prices, it is just better to go to Best Buy.

This and every time you bid, you add time on the clock...so more people have a chance to bid. The game from what I have heard is to not bid until the very last seconds and hope everyone else does the same thing. They prolong the auction in order to keep taking paid for bids...A vicious cycle and a SCAM as far as I can tell. As SSG says, Best Buy or Frye's would be better.

achiro
8/16/2011, 10:40 AM
There are several of those type of sites going right now. Skoreit and Bezid are two others. The whole thing seems pretty shady to me. Even though the price only goes up by a penny per bid, you have to buy the bids for a dollar each. So, even though they say that they sold an I-Pod for $7.80, the company actually made $780 off of that auction. Pretty good profit for the auction company.

I've heard allegations that they use bots to drive the prices up, but don't know if there is any truth to that.

This is kind of what I thought it was. Thanks.

StoopTroup
8/16/2011, 10:44 AM
We have gotten lucky and gotten a few things for cheap but good luck getting a $1,200 Flat Screen with a Blu-ray player and Surround System for $7.

saucysoonergal
8/16/2011, 10:45 AM
We have gotten lucky and gotten a few things for cheap but good luck getting a $1,200 Flat Screen with a Blu-ray player and Surround System for $7.

If you want that, it is best to contact a member of the * football team, they will hook you up! (pun intended)

SoonerAtKU
8/16/2011, 10:48 AM
There's nothing stopping anyone from creating a site like that, other than name recognition. In the details, they fully and readily admit that they, upon completion of the auction, simply buy the item from a reseller and have it shipped to the winner. They don't hold stock, they don't have to buy anything that doesn't sell for more than the purchase price after factoring in the money made from the bids.

That said, also beware of some of the sites that apparently charge you up to $100 up front upon signup and give you a few courtesy bids. I had a relative not read the fine print and get pretty upset about that one.

Viking Kitten
8/16/2011, 10:57 AM
When I first heard about it, I remembered my mom's advice about how things that sound too good to be true usually are. So I Googled "Quibids scam" and learned how it works. No thanks.

salth2o
8/16/2011, 11:02 AM
If you want that, it is best to contact a member of the * football team, they will hook you up! (pun intended)

THIS ^^^.

and it's funny because it's true.

OU Engineer
8/16/2011, 11:03 AM
It's a bit confusing but it can work.

They even say on their webstie the best way to "play" is to just bid on something you would actually pay full price for anyway. They say this because if at any point you want to stop bidding, they take the full price of the item and subtract the cost of all the bids you placed on it, so you actually aren't spending any more on the item than face value.

Similarly, if you keep it up and keep bidding, EVENTUALLY you will when the item at lower than face value, as long as you aren't dumb enough to bid so much that you pay more for it.

Where they get you are the advertisements saying you can get an ipad for $30. You're still getting it better than retail, but it would be more like $120 overall.

OU Engineer
8/16/2011, 11:04 AM
and yes btw I bought a $250 American Airlines gift card on there. Bid for about 30 minutes and got tired so jhust bought it. I knew I'd be flying soon so nowit is basically like prepaying for a flight I haven't bought yet.

OutlandTrophy
8/16/2011, 11:06 AM
It's a bit confusing but it can work.

They even say on their webstie the best way to "play" is to just bid on something you would actually pay full price for anyway. They say this because if at any point you want to stop bidding, they take the full price of the item and subtract the cost of all the bids you placed on it, so you actually aren't spending any more on the item than face value.

Similarly, if you keep it up and keep bidding, EVENTUALLY you will when the item at lower than face value, as long as you aren't dumb enough to bid so much that you pay more for it.

Where they get you are the advertisements saying you can get an ipad for $30. You're still getting it better than retail, but it would be more like $120 overall.

How much are their fees and shipping handling?

StoopTroup
8/16/2011, 11:07 AM

I think they all post here at SFs so I probably just need to post an Ad on the Swap Forum huh? :D

WichitaSooner
8/16/2011, 11:07 AM
Just because the company is making lots of money, doesn't make it bad or illegal.

You can definitely get items for less than normal value... So my question is if you get an ipad for $200, why do you give a **** if they make $2500 on the deal????? How does that somehow make it shady or a scam?

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2011, 11:09 AM
Just because the company is making lots of money, doesn't make it bad or illegal.

You can definitely get items for less than normal value... So my question is if you get an ipad for $200, why do you give a **** if they make $2500 on the deal????? How does that somehow make it shady or a scam?

There is nothing shady about that part. The buyer should always know what he's getting into. The only thing that raises a question in my mind is in how they decide when to end the bidding.

But, I haven't actually done it myself, so I can't say how legit it might be.

OULenexaman
8/16/2011, 11:10 AM
suckers everywhere...

achiro
8/16/2011, 11:11 AM

What I'm seeing on most review sites is that very few(if any) folks actually ever get any of the higher ticket items, mainly just gift card type stuff. So you bid, and bid, and then at the last second, you don't get it but you've paid for all those bids you made.

StoopTroup
8/16/2011, 11:13 AM

Freaking dirty liberals :pop:

badger
8/16/2011, 11:28 AM
The only shady thing behind it is for those that don't understand the game, kind of like those little carnival games that tell you in order to win, you have to get the ring all the way around the duck's neck, not just halfway sitting on the duck's bill.

If people go into that site understanding that they might be paying for bids but not win the item, fine. If people toss those rings at that duck, knowing how virtually impossible it is to get the ring all the way around the duck's neck, fine.

But putting big prizes out there, claiming you get them for pennies on the dollar of the original price? That's like telling a kid he can win a big stuffed bear just by buying three rings for a dollar.

Partial Qualifier
8/16/2011, 11:29 AM
Has anyone mentioned the chick in the commercials yet??

SoonerAtKU
8/16/2011, 11:32 AM

It's not a scam, but it's a highly risky way to purchase something. Let's use your $200 iPad as an example:

Sold for $200, which is 20,000 1 cent bids. Most of these types of places charge something like 40-60 cents a bid, I understand. I'll use the higher end for this example.

This means that it will cost the bidders as a collective $12,000 to purchase that $200 iPad. If it were just yourself and one other bidder competing, you would have spent up to $6000 on your $200 iPad. They don't allow that, however, since you can't individually pay over retail for the item, so that's out.

Let's say, however, there are 100 bidders competing. They would all have contributed $120 towards the item, but 99 of them would get NOTHING in return. That's the bad part, once you have someone hooked in and having contributed a significant chunk of money towards something, that's a sunk cost and the drive is to press onward and drive bids because of the potential for wasted money. It's a self-populating thing because someone is upset they lost money, so they spend...more money.

StoopTroup
8/16/2011, 11:58 AM
They Probably should try and limit their greed by making sure a Product they made 10,000% more than if they sold it Retail....well.....that it got sold at some kind of limit but I highly doubt they care.....if I could just let idiots keep bidding on it until I made 100,000% on it....I guess the Moral Gray Area takes over and even though you know you probably paid to much....you showed those other Bidders who's Boss. :D

I mean....what stops them from putting in Software that bumps these bids up when there isn't any activity and making sure they never lose? They can issue free bids to people they employ or contract to make sure certain Items always have someone bidding them up.

I don't trust people when it comes to Auctions.

EBay makes plenty of guaranteed dough and yet if someone complains about you without cause they always side with the bidder and hammer your reputation if you don't make them happy. I quit as a seller there a long time ago. How do these other folks list these Vehicles over and over again without selling and then later make money off them? The guy that just wants to sell his old car would do better on Craigslist.

I'll never understand why EBAY changed it's original ways of doing business and made the little guys such chumps/targets.

It was really a cool way to make money back in the day.

I can't believe someone else hasn't taken them on as an Online Auction House.

OutlandTrophy
8/16/2011, 12:00 PM
exactly

Penguin
8/16/2011, 12:11 PM
Sounds like you could easily blow through $50 in an afternoon and not win a damn thing. No thanks.

yermom
8/16/2011, 01:11 PM

you paid $200, but they made $2300 off of people that got nothing