PDA

View Full Version : Michigan transfer eligible to play for OU this season

Jay C. Upchurch
8/16/2011, 09:31 AM
NORMAN -- Kellen Jones, a 6-1, 223-pound linebacker, has transferred from Michigan to Oklahoma and is eligible to play for the Sooners this season. OU Head Coach Bob Stoops made the formal announcement today.

“We are excited to add Kellen to our program,” said OU Head Coach Bob Stoops. “Obviously he’s in a learning phase right now, but he has very good physical skill and is someone who can contribute to our program.”

Jones, a freshman, did not play at Michigan. He originally hails from Houston where he attended Saint Pius X High School.

As a high school senior in 2010, he was credited with 110 tackles with 32 for loss and eight sacks. He also forced three fumbles and recovered two in 11 games.

Several recruiting services gave him high marks. Scouts rated him as the No. 12 inside linebacker nationally, while Rivals listed him at No. 29. In all, he received scholarship offers from more than 20 schools.

Jones carried a 3.32 grade point average in high school and plans to major in mathematics.

OU SID Report

MamaMia
8/16/2011, 09:32 AM
Yay! http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/banana.gif

SoonerPr8r
8/16/2011, 09:40 AM
that BS in math program is brutal esp year 3

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 09:43 AM
Hmm, wonder what the story is, maybe he wanted to be closer to home, or just decided he didn't want to freeze his beehind off for months on end.

Whatever, looks like a good grab, welcome to the Sooner family, Kellen, now get out there and hit somebody!!!! Boomer!

mhackl
8/16/2011, 09:47 AM
Kellen W. Jones Highlights (http://youtu.be/_jYWKMkRLGs)
The boy looks like a stud

olevetonahill
8/16/2011, 09:48 AM
Jay, Any word on R Lewis being eligible this year?
Im kinda tired Of all these rumors.;)

Chuck Bao
8/16/2011, 11:23 AM
Dangit, that guy already looks like an NFL player among high school kids. Welcome to OU, Mr. Jones.

Augusta_Sooner
8/16/2011, 12:26 PM
Redshirt?

Widescreen
8/16/2011, 12:42 PM
Guy looks like a beast. It's hard to believe kids come out of high school looking like that these days.

One thing he's going to have to learn how to do (based on his highlight video above) is to deal with someone meeting him at the LOS. I can't believe how many times he just walked up to the LOS and ran right through untouched. LOL.

Boomer.....
8/16/2011, 01:03 PM
Good deal!

OUVarsityXV
8/16/2011, 01:13 PM
Too deep right now, he will redshirt.

SoonerMom2
8/16/2011, 01:46 PM
He is from Houston -- another one who got away from A&M! :)

sooner_born_1960
8/16/2011, 01:50 PM
Then what's the big deal him being eligible this year. That's what would happen if he weren't.

nativesooner
8/16/2011, 01:59 PM
Then what's the big deal him being eligible this year. That's what would happen if he weren't.

I bet you see him playing in a few weeks where Ronnell should have...:eek:

LVSOONER15
8/16/2011, 02:13 PM
I bet you see him playing in a few weeks where Ronnell should have...:eek:

You may be right. But lets just wait and see.

zeke
8/16/2011, 02:27 PM
Welcome to Norman Oklahoma Kellen Jones! We are glad you are here!

nativesooner
8/16/2011, 02:34 PM
You may be right. But lets just wait and see.

sure hope I'm not... but the longer we "wait and see" the more doubtful I become.... :(

OUMallen
8/16/2011, 02:35 PM
that BS in math program is brutal esp year 3

I was just thinking: better change that major.

Cornfed
8/16/2011, 02:58 PM
After watching the highlight vid I wonder if the other teams were trying...lol

rekamrettuB
8/16/2011, 03:03 PM

I hope you are right but OU has lost 2.5 LBs this off season.

Sooner_Tuf
8/16/2011, 03:53 PM

He's practicing with the starters. Wort says hes a beast and is keeping up just fine in the film room. Apparently there is some video of him going ballistic on the running backs that will be on all access soon.

Several players say he's got a mouth on him but he can back up it so far.

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2011, 04:09 PM
Man, they are sure spitting out the sour grapes on the Michigan boards over this.

badger
8/16/2011, 04:49 PM
As a froshie, he's not allowed to talk to the media till after his first game, but his teammates and BV are saying fun stuff about him already:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110816_92_0_NORMAN100178)

"He doesn't even have pads on, and he's out there talkin' smack to the running backs," Tom Wort said. "Kellen is one fiery dude."

Widescreen
8/16/2011, 05:08 PM
Man, they are sure spitting out the sour grapes on the Michigan boards over this.

Link?

VA Sooner
8/16/2011, 06:58 PM
Majoring in math AND is a brutal hitter.

Good combination... he can total his hits/knockdowns/knockouts as the season goes on.

bluedogok
8/16/2011, 08:38 PM
They said that he didn't play at Michigan last season, that would act as his redshirt season. He wouldn't have another redshirt season to give up.

Sooner_Tuf
8/16/2011, 08:55 PM
I don't think he was ever enrolled at Michigan. I think he only signed a letter of intent last February.

He might be a smart cookie. Stanford was recruiting him. He is listed as having four years of eligibility left.

badger
8/17/2011, 07:57 AM
Link?

They're talking crap on the ESPN article. (http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/6868298/kellen-jones-transfers-michigan-wolverines-oklahoma-sooners)

Before you morons come on here celebrating and running your mouths about Michigan, Maybe you should know the facts. This kid didnt chose to leave Michigan, Michigan told him to hit the road. Google his assault charge in Ohio....Michigan doesn't want criminals....Really Shows the character of the Oklahoma program.

A wins a win I dont care if it came in 1800 or 2011....when you catch up to Mich let me know.

pretty sure he was a rodriguez recruit and even stayed on board when rodriguez left and hoke was hired. clearly the reason he transfered was because he wasn't cleared academically. he was all blue from the get go.

He didn't have Michigan pedigree and he isn't gonna get a degree.
Better we found out Sooner than later.
Make your money while you can, bro. Good riddance.
Go Blue!

Relax - Three tough years means nothing more than three tough years. When any fan from Oklahoma can say their team is the winningest team in college football history you may speak, until then enjoy believing anyone gives a damn about Oklahoma or the dying Little 12.

haha everyone says he went to a winning team whatever. maybe if the big 12 was a stronger conference and OU didnt beat nobody teams like baylor iowa state etc.... every year.

Your right Michigan has not been that good, they were 7th in the bigten last year but still had a better record than Texas and now Nebraska is in the bigten. Big ten is much better than the big 12. Try to pay attention, sooner.

Cornfed
8/17/2011, 02:09 PM
Amn the MU people are sure a bitter bunch. I still can't find anything about the kid minus his recruiting videos and articles etc.

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2011, 02:13 PM
They're talking crap on the ESPN article. (http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/6868298/kellen-jones-transfers-michigan-wolverines-oklahoma-sooners)

Thanks for posting that. Yes, I was referring to that and all the comments after the article that was posted at the Rivals site. I figured the kid must be pretty good if they were spitting so much venom at him leaving.

badger
8/17/2011, 02:20 PM
Were all you OU fans like this back in the 90s, like Meatchicken fans are now, relishing your old records and titles because there hadn't been much success as of late?

(I say "you all" because I wasn't an OU fan till arriving at the school in 2001)

OU fan of the 90s: Six national titles!

Michigan fans of the aughts: Most wins of all time!

OU fan of the 90s: Three Heisman trophy winners!

Michigan fan of the aughts: Um... we probably have the head-to-head on your team!

OU fan of the 90s: Bud and Barry! Bud and Barry!

Michigan fan of the aughts: Hail! Hail! Bo! Bo! Bo!

OU fan of the 90s: Blake is the answer!

Michigan fan of the aughts: Hoke is the answer!

:D

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2011, 02:25 PM
Were all you OU fans like this back in the 90s, like Meatchicken fans are now, relishing your old records and titles because there hadn't been much success as of late?

(I say "you all" because I wasn't an OU fan till arriving at the school in 2001)

OU fan of the 90s: Six national titles!

Michigan fans of the aughts: Most wins of all time!

OU fan of the 90s: Three Heisman trophy winners!

Michigan fan of the aughts: Um... we probably have the head-to-head on your team!

OU fan of the 90s: Bud and Barry! Bud and Barry!

Michigan fan of the aughts: Hail! Hail! Bo! Bo! Bo!

OU fan of the 90s: Blake is the answer!

Michigan fan of the aughts: Hoke is the answer!

:D

Akshully, we've only played Meatchicken once, in the 1975 Orange Bowl, but we have head to head on them!

Speaking for me, personally, I'd have to say no on my attitude in the 90s. I've always been the eternal optimist when it comes to the Sooners. Even as the 1997 season dawned, I kept hope alive that this would be the year we'd get back on top. I couldn't have imagined saying, "yeah, but we really rocked back in the 70s," or whatever.

silverwheels
8/17/2011, 02:28 PM
ESPN comments/boards aren't a good judge of a team's fanbase. It's like YouTube comments or 4chan. Nothing but morons.

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2011, 02:29 PM
ESPN comments/boards aren't a good judge of a team's fanbase. It's like YouTube comments or 4chan. Nothing but morons.

That's true, really. I can't stand to even look at the comments on most news stories posted on yahoo. That will make you lose faith in humanity in a hurry.

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 02:52 PM
It's all rather wearying to listen to the fans of a team that hasn't been relevant (other than being a 'worthy-ish' sparring partner for Slow-hio) to college football since, what? I can't even remember. Maybe the 1980's? the 1970's. I know they were good sometime back there.

And Gerald Ford played for them.

And I liked Gerry Ford. Real American Hero.

Kid Rock's okay, too. Smart guy. Eminem is enjoyable as well.

Michigan is emphatically NOT a dying state. It's athletics WILL come back. It's citizens WILL stop emigrating to third world nations for the economic opportunities. It's rivers WILL stop spontaneously igniting. There WILL be at least a weekend a year during which women will be able to take off their parkas.

The fact that this guy was unknown to anyone around here prior to his arrival does NOT indicate that a mass wave of defections from UM is underway.

We come to bury these rumors; not to praise them.

And to issue presumptive sympathy for the ignominious assraping UM will endure at the hands of Wisconsin or Nebraska in the event that the coaching staff is able to frogmarch the team at bayonet point out onto the field to play either one.

Jacie
8/17/2011, 02:55 PM
Forget those UM fu**ers, here's all you need to know about Kellen Jones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYWKMkRLGs

badger
8/17/2011, 03:05 PM
Michigan had its glory years with its strong auto industry. Now its our turn. Move to Oklahoma, people seeking employment and warmer weather!