PDA

View Full Version : Nila Kasitati's Dance

HolaKyle
8/16/2011, 01:39 AM
3feGJkomEUk?hd=1

LINK (http://youtu.be/3feGJkomEUk?hd=1)

I love this. This is something I'll have to watch before each game.

sooner59
8/16/2011, 02:08 AM
That should be part of the pregame show in the stadium.

NormanPride
8/16/2011, 07:15 AM
I dunno about that... I mean, it's awesome and I'm glad the players love it, but it's not really an Oklahoma tradition or staple... Know what I mean? Now if we had Jordan Eagle Road lead the team in a dance of some sort that would be pretty dang cool.

Boomer.....
8/16/2011, 07:20 AM
I agree with NP. It's very cool but it's not like we're Hawaii.

mehip
8/16/2011, 07:23 AM
It called the Haka and it's not really a dance; it is a war chant with all kinds of nice death threats.

PLaw
8/16/2011, 07:25 AM
The Haka is used by the New Zealand All Blacks prior to each of their rugby matches. In the 90's, it was outrageous to see Lomu lead the team in the pre-game event. It is a Polynesian cultural thing,

That said, many Polynesians have settled in the Euless area and in the Trinity HS area where Nila attended. Because of the large Polynesian population, the Trinity football team has embraced this dance as a pre-game ritual.

Until Oklahoma has a large Polynesian population, let's leave the Haka to that cultural heritage. On the other hand, a Cherokee war dance may be more appropriate for the Sooners.

BOOMER

LVSOONER15
8/16/2011, 07:42 AM
Pretty cool dance. Let the kids have fun with it.

mushu405
8/16/2011, 07:47 AM
yeah its not like we are going to replace with anything.... just something to get hyped up on

Lawton4Life
8/16/2011, 08:30 AM
Sooners fear change!!!

It's just something cool to enjoy, no one wants it to replace the pride or anything.

BermudaSooner
8/16/2011, 08:32 AM
It is awesome to watch the All Blacks do this prior to the game--but not sure it really works in football. In rugby the other team lines up to watch it--I don't see Iowa State lining up to listen to a challenge dance in Polynesian.

NormanPride
8/16/2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not saying they shouldn't do it or anything, but if you put it in the pregame video it becomes part of the image of the team. We're not a primarily Polynesian team, so it just makes us look like posers.

MamaMia
8/16/2011, 09:01 AM
That scared me. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/bitenails.gif

batonrougesooner
8/16/2011, 10:00 AM
I thought it was cool.

Landry Jones and Drew Allen definitely looked like "white men dancing" in the back ground of that clip. :)

FirstandGoal
8/16/2011, 10:38 AM
I thought it was cool.

Landry Jones and Drew Allen definitely looked like "white men dancing" in the back ground of that clip. :)

:D

I noticed that too
:O

Chuck Bao
8/16/2011, 11:41 AM
I've seen the New Zealand rugby team perform the Haka several times at the Hong Kong 7s. It is a spectacle for even opposing fans to enjoy and I think it is more about celebration of heritage.

The Polynesian culture isn't part of our heritage or tradition, but neither is rap/hiphop music. I would rather go with the Polynesian war dance to get our team fired up. But, that's just a personal opinion.

badger
8/16/2011, 12:17 PM
It's cool. Let the guys do what they want. It's not embarrassing, it's not a crime, it's actually really cool :)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/16/2011, 12:34 PM
I dunno about that... I mean, it's awesome and I'm glad the players love it, but it's not really an Oklahoma tradition or staple... Know what I mean? Now if we had Jordan Eagle Road lead the team in a dance of some sort that would be pretty dang cool.

I don't see how a haka is Sooner focused... Nice if you have a bunch of South Pacific islanders doing it, i.e. New Zealand ruggers, but non-islanders doing it looks stupid IMO.

EDIT: I know Nila is South Pacific Islander and if he wants to do it fine. I however, think some white guy from podunk Oklahoma or saxet would look a bit odd doing it. maybe just as odd as an Islander trying to Polka... ;)

SunnySooner
8/16/2011, 12:58 PM
Hey, he's a Polynesian Sooner, right? He's just bringing his background to the team spirit, the guys seemed to like it, that's what matters. Whatever makes them want to knock the teeth outta the other guys works for me.

sooner59
8/16/2011, 01:11 PM
Heh. I was basically joking. But it would be cool if they through it in there once on the big screen. That or just put a clip of a couple seconds in the intro video.

NorthernIowaSooner
8/16/2011, 01:17 PM
Dance=Awesome

Camera work=Not Awesome

zeke
8/16/2011, 02:38 PM
Hey, he's a Polynesian Sooner, right? He's just bringing his background to the team spirit, the guys seemed to like it, that's what matters. Whatever makes them want to knock the teeth outta the other guys works for me.

yes

MamaMia
8/16/2011, 10:49 PM
What the players choose to do under the category of good, clean fun really isn't any of my business. If its fine by them and makes them happy or pumped up, who am I to judge?

GKeeper316
8/16/2011, 10:53 PM
Camera work=Not Awesome

i have noticed this about the first 2 episodes...

i thought the intro was good. as a professional video production guy, i can tell you that intro took a while to cut.

Flying Scotsman
8/16/2011, 10:55 PM
I thought the U of Hawaii used to do it all the time....

silverwheels
8/16/2011, 11:01 PM
I don't care much about the race of the people doing it, but I feel like it's a rugby thing and should stay a rugby thing. Football practice is fine, but I don't want to see our team doing it before a game, also partially because when it's done by 100 people it's not as cool.

VW9nLK5PHqg

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 08:53 AM
I love the haka, but really the Aussies pretty well put the kiwis in their place a few years back by standing and watching the haka then doing their own 'cultural dance'. It involved grabbing their crotches and grunting whilst making wanking motions with their left hands. Yes, tacky and insensitive, but very funny.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 09:09 AM
I thought the U of Hawaii used to do it all the time....

They did or do. Though they are the "fightin'" Hawaiians... so it makes sense.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2011, 09:10 AM
I love the haka, but really the Aussies pretty well put the kiwis in their place a few years back by standing and watching the haka then doing their own 'cultural dance'. It involved grabbing their crotches and grunting whilst making wanking motions with their left hands. Yes, tacky and insensitive, but very funny.
And I am sure - riot ensued...;)

ouleaf
8/17/2011, 09:27 AM
If it gets our boys fired up and ready to play football, I'm all for it.

KantoSooner
8/17/2011, 10:49 AM
And I am sure - riot ensued...;)

When Aus plays Kiwi-dom, it's always a riot.

Best memory: an Aussie victory in Sydney. I witnessed grown men throwing off their All black jerseys and walking away naked from the waist up in shame. Those people are true sports zombies.

85sooners
8/17/2011, 11:38 AM
quit bitching and hit someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gundleok
8/17/2011, 12:39 PM
Dance=Awesome

Camera work=Not Awesome

No kidding, even the SoonerSports All Access had a better video of how the players responded to it:

http://soonersports.com/allaccess/?media=252822

Even Stoops was getting a kick out of it.

Boomer!!

MamaMia
8/17/2011, 04:24 PM
No kidding, even the SoonerSports All Access had a better video of how the players responded to it:

http://soonersports.com/allaccess/?media=252822

Even Stoops was getting a kick out of it.

Boomer!! This team has a good chemistry going on. You need that to win championships.