PDA

View Full Version : Ronnell Lewis Ineligible

Muno
8/15/2011, 01:42 PM
Just go confirmation from a source inside the program. News should be publicly available soon.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/15/2011, 01:42 PM
****!!! :(

TahoeSOONER
8/15/2011, 01:47 PM
It's on him and it sucks it's letting the team down.

Defense and special teams just took a hit.

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/15/2011, 01:47 PM
son of a b****! we are the only team in the nation whos star players always go down whether it be injuries or academic reasons.

Curly Bill
8/15/2011, 01:49 PM
son of a b****! we are the only team in the nation whos star players always go down whether it be injuries or academic reasons.

:rolleyes:

NormanPride
8/15/2011, 01:49 PM
Meh. Sucks, but we have depth there. At LB he was projected as a terror, but he couldn't grasp the scemes. At DE he was simply a good player. We have others.

badger
8/15/2011, 01:50 PM
If true, very unfortunate, but I have a feeling that he had every chance to make this situation right during the offseason.

sperry
8/15/2011, 01:52 PM
No offense, but how is there not a professor we can go to when a player absolutely has to get a grade? It may be against the rules, but it's absolutely unprovable, and it would fix situations like this.

NormanPride
Letting the team down like this... I would not be surprised if we never saw him on the field again.

thecynic
wow. the hammer got hammered.

picasso
8/15/2011, 01:53 PM
He's still on the roster.

Boomer.....
8/15/2011, 01:53 PM
This would suck!

SoonerBK
8/15/2011, 01:54 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah that never happens anywhere else 'cept here...

badger
8/15/2011, 01:55 PM
No offense, but how is there not a professor we can go to when a player absolutely has to get a grade? It may be against the rules, but it's absolutely unprovable, and it would fix situations like this.

I know that football is very important and all, but it would be a disservice to not only the player, but to all of his teammates and every other student that has earned a degree in that player's chosen field to give them the Ohio State treatment in this regard.

We've had kids yanked from a season for various reasons only to have them come back stronger and more motivated than ever. Maybe that is what Hammer needs... a year off to refocus.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/15/2011, 01:57 PM
Well, there goes 3 more kickoffs allowed for TDs this season again. It's time to man up and just kick the bleeping ball out of bounds on kickoffs. REAL MEN kick the ball out of bounds on kick-offs. Yeah, that's right!!! The DE spots are perilously thin until some other DEs not named Alexander and King step up. Washington or one of the new freshmen really need to step up their game and the clock is ticking for Washington as it is this season or never in terms of the lightbulb going on for him.

Muno
8/15/2011, 02:01 PM
I wish I could say I had a bad or questionable source but this individual gave me all the details about Fleming's situation early last year all the way through the summer and he was 100% correct. I have no reason to believe any different in this situation.

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/15/2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah that never happens anywhere else 'cept here...

I meant at the same frequency that it happens here. Every year for the last 4-5 years weve had our best players go down with injuries before or during the season and then have academic problems with other great players like Flemming and Lewis. I know this happens to good players on other teams but it just seems like it happens here way more often.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2011, 02:04 PM
Perhaps Ronnell has difficulty learning in the traditional sense, hence his inability to pick up defensive schemes as well as pass his classes.

If he simply didn't attend, that is one thing, but if he is trying and failing...actually trying...then perhaps there might be alternative learning methods.

Sadly, this could be considered special treatment over those that have the same issues, yet cannot even get a sniff at a college education.

We need to score a LOT of points this year, m'thinks.

tcrb
8/15/2011, 02:06 PM

No offense, but this is some seriously ****ed-up thinking.

bmjlr
8/15/2011, 02:07 PM
No offense, but this is some seriously ****ed-up thinking.

THIS^^^^^^^

badger
8/15/2011, 02:12 PM
I will hold out hope till I hear it publicly. Perhaps, just perhaps, the Hammer can retake an exam, redo a paper, retry something, somehow, some way... IN A WAY THAT IS NOT UNFAIR TO HIS TEAMMATES OR HIS NON-ATHLETE CLASSMATES BECAUSE I DON'T WANT HIM GETTING UNDESERVED SPECIAL TREATMENT.

oudavid1
8/15/2011, 02:13 PM
School is more important than football. If Ronnell dosnt want to get his ***t together, than he needs to stay off the field.

mgsooner
8/15/2011, 02:15 PM
David have you confirmed this on your twitter yet?

LVSOONER15
8/15/2011, 02:19 PM
That sucks but lets keep on rolling. Get the underclaassmen ready.

REDREX
8/15/2011, 02:20 PM
Redshirt him

JLEW1818
8/15/2011, 02:24 PM
college is not hard. at all.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2011, 02:26 PM
Maybe this will get us into the Big Ten?

:O

gaylordfan1
8/15/2011, 02:27 PM
I'm like Badger, I will believe it when I personally hear it from Stoops mouth..... Although ive been hearing from some reliable people that he won't play. But, without faith what do we have?

OutlandTrophy
he told me he passed his classes:confused:

WE ARE dirtburglars

Well I see where it can be difficult for some people, but not to where you arent passing classes. If you are accepted into college that means the school thinks you can keep up with their curriculum requirements and when you dont its just a lack of focus or caring. Ronnell really let the team down with this.

badger
8/15/2011, 02:35 PM

This is totally unfair man. Those who excel probably don't find it hard... so at the same time, you have Randy Moss saying that he takes plays off, or Edgerin James saying that it was so easy for him that he'd play pickup games afterward. Does that make college FOOTBALL not hard? At all?

Everyone has their own challenges in life. Hopefully, Ronnell will hammer, hammer, hammer at this challenge before him and be better for it afterward.

I really want there to be something that makes him eligible after all. Then again, I was still calling Balogun "FREE MIKE" when I saw him playing the Broncos last Friday :(

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe this will get us into the Big Ten?

:O

haha

Lawton4Life
8/15/2011, 02:39 PM
We're much worse off at DT than we are at DE....

FrostySooner
8/15/2011, 02:41 PM
I, by no means, am saying that I am a football expert but I think we will be fine with or without him. David King seems to be having a pretty good fall camp along with Geneo Grissom. If RJ can step up and be the player we have all expected him to be, we will still be pretty deep. Also very impressed with Nathan Hughes as well. We could very easily be 4 deep with or without Lewis.

OUVarsityXV
8/15/2011, 02:43 PM
This is total bull****! I hate getting my hopes up pre-season! Say what you want about the kid is projected to be a All-Big XII player this year. Our weakest link is the defensive line and we just lost the hammer! I hope these reports are untrue.

3rdgensooner
8/15/2011, 02:43 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the first sign of the Sooner apocalypse.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 02:46 PM
It isn't the 80's anymore......

John Elway, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady say quarterbacking isn't hard, why don't you try it?

n8v_ndn
8/15/2011, 02:49 PM
I will have to enable the Academic Fraud option in NCAA 12 then; I can't afford to lose him as my starting left DE.

Augusta_Sooner
8/15/2011, 02:49 PM
If he's ineligible, then I would tend to believe he didn't give his best effort. He wasn't ineligible his first 2 years so what happened in year 3? All of a sudden he has difficulty learning? Whatever. After all, he did say "It's out of my hands now". That wasn't the most confident statement ever made. Besides, he wasn't taking a full load of classes this summer, it was only 2 classes, right? Stoops will be pissed, but this means more playing time for King (I think he has the most upside of all DEs) and maybe Washington will finally live up to his 5 star potential. Over/under on TD returns given up by our kick off team now? I say 2.

SteelClip49
8/15/2011, 02:51 PM
IMO...college was hard. My first 2 years were at OSU-OKC because of a 2.4 out of high school. I then was accepted to the Price Business School and after a semester there and flunking financial accounting, I transferred to Gaylord College of JMC and I did well but not enough to survive so after 2 years at OU and going from a 3.4 to a 2.49, I transferred to UCO for 2 years and graduated with my liberal arts degree.

College is not for everyone. I never thought it was for me but I wanted to make something of myself and I did graduate.

Lewis will figure it out. He has to. As of right now, he has no NFL future.

sperry
8/15/2011, 02:54 PM
Meh, we make kids who have no business being in college go in order to pursue their dream of a professional football career.

From all I can gather, Ronnell isn't a very bright bulb. He got moved from linebacker because he couldnt' grasp the schemes, and now he has failed to become academically eligible. It's a shame that Ronnell won't be able to play football because he isn't smart enough to get through classes at a major university. He's not a criminal and not a bad kid, yet if he'd gotten a DUI or something exponentially more serious than failing Sociology 101 or whatever, he would have been suspended for a game and ran some stairs. Instead, he misses an entire season and will have his pro prospects seriously hampered.

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 02:56 PM
We're not a minor league. Last I checked, 95 percent of those enrolled at the University of Oklahoma didn't even play athletics. Either qualify like all the other players on the team, or check out the nice JUCO in Butler County or something.

OUVarsityXV
8/15/2011, 02:57 PM
I don't even know how this became an issue again. From all the reports I read he WAS eligible and then all of a sudden his eligibility was in question again. I don't know what to believe. I hope all the reports are wrong.

AlboSooner
8/15/2011, 02:58 PM
Hopefully we can field a team nao

OUInformant
8/15/2011, 02:58 PM
If he's ineligible, than he's in ineligible. The idea that we should find him a professor that would give him a grade is outright ridiculous. Who cares about football, when it comes to the sanctity of the academics of the university. Seriously. As much as I love RL, if he can't handle the academics, than he shouldn't be here. This isn't the SEC.

This being said, I haven't heard anybody come out and say anything to the public so I don't believe it yet. Actually, I heard the opposite about a week ago.

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 03:07 PM
Has this been confirmed? He practiced today so I think I will wait until we have something from the school before I crap my pants. Nothing on the paysites either.

3rdgensooner
8/15/2011, 03:08 PM
I'm planning to avoid pants-crapping entirely.

The Maestro
8/15/2011, 03:08 PM
Uh.....why am I the first to say, "LINK????"

The internet. Allsome. I need some proof. Not "my source".

Mad Dog Madsen
8/15/2011, 03:09 PM
he told me he passed his classes:confused:

THIS. I talked to him personally and he said he was good to go. I don't understand... Am I missing something??? :confused:

soonerborn45
8/15/2011, 03:09 PM
Just go confirmation from a source inside the program. News should be publicly available soon.

A source inside the program? So is everybody now a frocking reporter? I will believe it when I hear the Bobfather himself say he won't be playing. I mean the guy did go with the 1st team in practice today. If he is ineligible then why would he be going with the ones?

badger
8/15/2011, 03:10 PM
I don't even know how this became an issue again. From all the reports I read he WAS eligible and then all of a sudden his eligibility was in question again. I don't know what to believe. I hope all the reports are wrong.

Speaking of Balogun, perhaps it was Bobby Bowden again :mad::mad::mad:

DAMMIT BOBBY! STOP QUESTIONING THE ELIGIBILITY OF OUR DEFENSIVE STARTERS! :mad:

As far as I know, not publicly reported yet. Stay tuned...

OUInformant
8/15/2011, 03:18 PM
Yes, RL has been practicing.

I haven't heard anything today, but I heard a week ago that he was eligible, which was another rumor. Until I here any proof from a coach or legitimate news source, nothing has changed.

NateHeupel
8/15/2011, 03:19 PM
Maestro,

Actually, I was just thinking the same thing. But then I looked back at Muno's post history, and he's been fairly on point. Hard to say if he's right at this point.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/15/2011, 03:23 PM
No offense, but how is there not a professor we can go to when a player absolutely has to get a grade? It may be against the rules, but it's absolutely unprovable, and it would fix situations like this.Haha, say "hello" to Mike Gundy or Mack Brown(whichever you represent) for all of us. You gave it a shot, anyway.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2011, 03:28 PM

This thought leads directly to the loss of the true nature of college football statement on another thread. This is not the NFL development league. If he can't make grades, we don't need him.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2011, 03:31 PM
Perhaps Ronnell has difficulty learning in the traditional sense, hence his inability to pick up defensive schemes as well as pass his classes.

If he simply didn't attend, that is one thing, but if he is trying and failing...actually trying...then perhaps there might be alternative learning methods.

Sadly, this could be considered special treatment over those that have the same issues, yet cannot even get a sniff at a college education.

We need to score a LOT of points this year, m'thinks.

I am sorry, this is a UNIVERSITY, not a college or a Juco. Some people are just not cut out for University when they can do well in a college or elsewhere. The meaning of a University and the requirements have been dumbed down significantly. You are not doing anyone a favor by lowering expectations and requirements.

MojoRisen
8/15/2011, 03:34 PM
This thread is BS he is eligible..

SoonerGibb7
8/15/2011, 03:44 PM
This thread is BS he is eligible..

what makes you thing that?

Boomer38Sooner
8/15/2011, 03:46 PM
what makes you thing that?

He thinks that because everyone has their "sources" and they aren't always correct. I'll believe this once I hear a real reporter report it or the school comes out and says it.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2011, 03:51 PM
I am sorry, this is a UNIVERSITY, not a college or a Juco. Some people are just not cut out for University when they can do well in a college or elsewhere. The meaning of a University and the requirements have been dumbed down significantly. You are not doing anyone a favor by lowering expectations and requirements.

There are alternative means to providing an education to someone rather than the standard classroom/study/challenge model. Universities can provide different methods for producing educated graduates than has been the norm for generations. They don't have to, but they can.

I learned the fundamentals and theory of nuclear power by operating a nuclear submarine. I also was given credit towards my degree for obtaining this knowledge without ever having to write a paper about it. There are many Universities that recognize and have created non-traditional education programs, although I doubt many D-1 athletes are provided this opportunity.

Of course, Ronnell needs to succeed in the system that has been provided for him, however, this may not be possible and therefore he will be deemed ineligible. However, if you assume this struggle is tied to his intellect by default, then your standard for measuring intelligence could perhaps be narrow and flawed.

Then again, he could just be a dumass.

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 03:53 PM
I'm planning to avoid pants-crapping entirely.

After I made my post I received several calls to let me know there are plenty of paysites that do feature pants crapping.

Your plan seems to be a good one though.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2011, 03:59 PM
After I made my post I received several calls to let me know there are plenty of paysites that do feature pants crapping.

Your plan seems to be a good one though.

You are on the speed-dial of some strange doods, Tuf.

Neath a Western Sky
8/15/2011, 04:00 PM
There are alternative means to providing an education to someone rather than the standard classroom/study/challenge model. Universities can provide different methods for producing educated graduates than has been the norm for generations. They don't have to, but they can.

I learned the fundamentals and theory of nuclear power by operating a nuclear submarine. I also was given credit towards my degree for obtaining this knowledge without ever having to write a paper about it. There are many Universities that recognize and have created non-traditional education programs, although I doubt many D-1 athletes are provided this opportunity.

Of course, Ronnell needs to succeed in the system that has been provided for him, however, this may not be possible and therefore he will be deemed ineligible. However, if you assume this struggle is tied to his intellect by default, then your standard for measuring intelligence could perhaps be narrow and flawed.

Then again, he could just be a dumass.

Your final line gets my vote for Sooner Fans quote of the week, the spelling a of the last word providing the cherry on the sundae. LMAO.

Augusta_Sooner
8/15/2011, 04:01 PM
OU will be fine without him, if this is the case. After all, he was recruited to play LB, not DE. He couldn't grasp the schemes and had to switch positions. I think some fans are/were assuming he was going to be the next great DE. It's not like he's a returning All-Conference or All-American DE. He's still learning the position and is only projected to do well, but it's no sure thing he'll excel at DE. I hope he's not ineligible. He has play-making ability and hits like a mack truck. Hoping for the best.

w0lfe
8/15/2011, 04:04 PM
Grissom time

The Maestro
8/15/2011, 04:06 PM
BoonesFarmSooner said that James Hale on OUInsider Premium Board says he is eligible...for whatever that is worth.

Folks shouldn't be posting crap like this without a link.

Lott's Bandana
8/15/2011, 04:09 PM
It seems to me that the more this drags on, and he continues to practice, then he must be eligible.

Until a reporter asks a coach directly, then we have to assume the team is not going to report a non-event.

Ton Loc
8/15/2011, 04:11 PM
It seems to me that the more this drags on, and he continues to practice, then he must be eligible.

Until a reporter asks a coach directly, then we have to assume the team is not going to report a non-event.

No doubt, except Stoops told the reporters not to ask him another question about eligibility. He would tell them when he was damn well ready. Not in those exact words though...

badger
8/15/2011, 04:12 PM
Well, you KNOW reporters are gonna directly ask about this now after all of this internet rumormongering :D

So... you should have an answer later today from someone, eligible or not.

You know they'll be all cool about it too, not asking Hammer's eligible or not, but rather, "Will Ronnell start for you all against Tulsa?" or "What does the depth chart look like at Ronnell's position?"

For Ronnell's sake, and it would admittedly help us win too, I hope he got his academic business taken care of.

Zing
8/15/2011, 04:12 PM

I'm actually kinda with Jlew on this one, if from a different perspective. I know just how many tutors and other academic resources the athletics department employs, and I can take a pretty good guess at what kind of courses that those anticipating a professional athletic career will pursue. Chances are that he's not passing because he's not trying.

It's a shame, and I really feel for the kid if he IS trying. That's gotta be frustrating. That having been said, I'm glad OU is sticking to their guns and not letting Ronnell slip through the cracks. It'd certainly be a lot easier to turn a blind eye.

OUVarsityXV
8/15/2011, 04:17 PM
This ****ed up my day for what looks like no reason at all.

cccasooner2
8/15/2011, 04:26 PM
This ****ed up my day for what looks like no reason at all.

In all fairness, Muno, according to my souces, could not go to school without sucking his dad off first. He did not have an easy childhood.

Soonerjeepman
8/15/2011, 04:31 PM

ummm...NO! I agree with some other posters..he may have a learning disorder..BUT I can guarantee (I'm a teacher) that if he did it's already noted...the kid is in college...this isn't the 70's or 80's...so if he does he's getting all the help he can get. Jeeze about every kid has tutors available to them...but they have to use them.

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:33 PM
A rumor like this should never be posted unless there is a link.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/15/2011, 04:35 PM
In all fairness, Muno, according to my souces, could not go to school without sucking his dad off first. He did not have an easy childhood.

:eek:

SoonerNomad
8/15/2011, 04:56 PM
I don't know why this thread has not been removed. I appreciate that muno knows more about OU football than I will ever have the chance to know and that he has a great reputation and great sources, but hearing that Lewis is still practicing is enough for me to believe no final decision has been made and that anyone saying that he is ineligible is jumping the gun.

His source may end up being correct, but I don't believe this story should be out there without a link.

jmax33
8/15/2011, 05:02 PM
Very True. I totally agree. SoonerNomad.

NormanPride
8/15/2011, 05:03 PM
Certainly.

Widescreen
8/15/2011, 05:08 PM
No question.

SoonerNate
8/15/2011, 05:16 PM
Is he eligible or not? WTF???????

God damnit

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 05:18 PM
You are on the speed-dial of some strange doods, Tuf.

Of that there is no doubt. Met most of them at the tailgate :D

SoonerNate
8/15/2011, 05:18 PM
****ing Venables

NorCal Sooner
8/15/2011, 05:19 PM
Does the OP even have any credibility. Why would anyone believe him if he has no track record of getting inside info (that is unless he does). Would you guys believe me? I hope not.

I CALL BS ON THIS

SoonerNate
8/15/2011, 05:20 PM
He got his grades Friday. WTF is the holdup?

This is absurd.

3rdgensooner
8/15/2011, 05:22 PM
Certainly.

No question.In a great way

badger
I am google searching, I am media site searching, I am everything searching... still nothing out there.

BUT, this might hold you over in the meantime:

Link (http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/8/11/2358364/oklahoma-fans-worried-about-de-ronnell-lewis-status-watch-this)

There has been much concern of the eligibility status of DE Ronnell Lewis. Maybe it is because of his near cult hero status. The Hammer will certainly be missed on special teams but could there be another like him at defensive end? Fear not CCM readers, David King is showing why he is a more than capable starter on this Oklahoma Sooners squad. King was impressive in the Oklahoma Drill as he sheds his blocker and annihilates the running back.

The link has a video to King's Oklahoma Drill. Absolutely drills the running back.

SoonerNate
Where are the mods?

This should be grounds for banishment.

Muno
8/15/2011, 05:28 PM
The person who gave me the information said the announcement was imminent. Given there has been no announcement it looks like I was given bad information about this situation. This was the same person who had given me the details about Fleming so I had no reason to believe he wasn't in the know about this situation. I apologize and agree that a banishment would probably be appropriate here.

Frozen Sooner
8/15/2011, 05:34 PM
Where are the mods?

This should be grounds for banishment.

Why would I ban you for this post when I've let so much else from you slide?