PDA

View Full Version : Saw Alice In Chains Saturday at Wisntar...

rekamrettuB
8/15/2011, 10:57 AM
F'N AWESOME!!! William Duvall, the new singer, and the rest of that band still rocks and sounds great. It was an unplugged set. I was stoked.

tator
8/15/2011, 11:01 AM
I wanted to see them there too. Love AiC

rekamrettuB
8/15/2011, 11:03 AM
I wish I could post pics from my PC. We were front row/center and I have some awesome shots.

soonerboomer93
8/15/2011, 11:23 AM
I yam very sad I did not know they were playing there.

Turd_Ferguson
8/15/2011, 12:51 PM
F'N AWESOME!!! William Duvall, the new singer, and the rest of that band still rocks and sounds great. It was an unplugged set. I was stoked.I would have bought you a BJ for those seats...Does the new dude sound anything like LS? Do they still play the old stuff?

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 03:10 PM
I saw them on Palladia at one of the European festivals, the new guy sounds pretty good and does a real good job.

rekamrettuB
8/15/2011, 03:31 PM
I would have bought you a BJ for those seats...Does the new dude sound anything like LS? Do they still play the old stuff?

The guy sounds really good and I don't think Cantrell would have hired him if he didn't sound a little like Layne. He says he isn't trying to but check out their new album, Black Gives Way to Blue. It's a great album and very much like the old AIC that everyone loves. Song number 1 on that album would make you think Layne recorded it. Duvall can also strum a guitar pretty well too. He's what I would picture if you said the lead singer of Rage and Lenny Kravitz had a baby.

And, yes, they do play lots of old stuff.

sheepdogs
8/15/2011, 03:32 PM
Are any of the original members still playing or is the only holdover the mike stand and drum sticks?

rekamrettuB
8/15/2011, 03:41 PM
Are any of the original members still playing or is the only holdover the mike stand and drum sticks?

Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney (drums), Mike Inez, bass (took over '93, Jar of Flies and beyond), are the other 3 along with Duvall.

yermom
8/15/2011, 04:01 PM
really thinking about seeing Weezer there after OU/Texas this year

would like to see AiC, but i am a little leary of seeing them without Layne Staley

i got a pretty good dose of 90's rock in the last month with Weezer and Soundgarden in Vegas. both excellent shows.

Partial Qualifier
8/15/2011, 04:09 PM
i am a little leary of seeing them without Layne Staley

He's looking a little thin these days

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 04:20 PM
would like to see AiC, but i am a little leary of seeing them without Layne Staley
It isn't like Staley pulled a Scott Weiland and could come back. From what I saw on the festival snippet DuVall does a very good job and one that I think does the AIC name proud. Like rekamrettuB said, I don't think Cantrell would have resurrected the band without someone who could do that.

yermom
8/15/2011, 04:41 PM
i know, i know, and i have heard a little of the new guy, but just like the Filipino dude with Journey, it just feels weird.

sooner ngintunr
8/15/2011, 05:06 PM
I saw their acoustic set @ Cains a few years back. It was awesome. The came on stage to Nutshell. They covered The Who's "Squeeze Box", that was pretty funny.

The Rooster (Cantrell's Dad) was on the side of the stage all night, just sitting back drinking beers. I had him sign my ticket after the show. Pretty cool. Rowdy crowd for an acoustic set. Cantrell said "****in Tulsa" a few times, not in a bad way, in a "you guys are rowdy as ****" kind of way.

I'd see them again in a heartbeat. The only problem with seeing them at Cains is everyone knows the songs so they all sing along. It's annoying as hell IMO.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 05:14 PM
i know, i know, and i have heard a little of the new guy, but just like the Filipino dude with Journey, it just feels weird.
My wife liked Augeri as the Steve Perry replacement, she saw them when they played the old Backyard here in Austin. She can't stand Pineda. I only saw them at the LNC in 1983.

rekamrettuB
8/15/2011, 07:20 PM

Not even the same...Duvall is really, really talented and a lot of fun on stage.

Cantrell's dad was there and got on the mic prior to the final song...Rooster of course.

Turd_Ferguson
8/15/2011, 07:44 PM
The guy sounds really good and I don't think Cantrell would have hired him if he didn't sound a little like Layne. He says he isn't trying to but check out their new album, Black Gives Way to Blue. It's a great album and very much like the old AIC that everyone loves. Song number 1 on that album would make you think Layne recorded it. Duvall can also strum a guitar pretty well too. He's what I would picture if you said the lead singer of Rage and Lenny Kravitz had a baby.

And, yes, they do play lots of old stuff.That's coo. The only way I would want to see them is "unplugged". I bought that cassette(yes cassette) when it first came out. That's the only way I know them. Cantrell is awesome on the acoustic...