PDA

View Full Version : Strengthening the Big 12

Augusta_Sooner
8/15/2011, 10:08 AM
How can the Big 12 stop the current trend of its members leaving/threatening to leave the league year after year? I'd like to see the Big 12 remain intact but add a university or two to strengthen the conference schedule. Travel expenses would greatly increase if OU were to change conference affiliations. Just some random thoughts on how the Big 12 could better position itself for long-term stability:

1. Consider expansion by adding 1 or 2 schools with a strong fan base and solid TV market appeal. I don't think the conference necessarily needs a large market like Houston; a strong fan base will make up for that. Who fits these criteria?

a. ND - Forget it. They're independent and as long as they have the NBC contract, I don't see why they would join a conference. Besides, Brian Kelley seems to have them going in right direction. As long as ND improves, chances diminish that they join any conference as they're TV contract would only increase in value.

b. BYU - Makes sense to me. They have some national appeal and they have a solid football tradition with a strong fan base. Normally, BYU is a top 25 BCS football program; at least borderline top 25. They're also stronger (football wise) than ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor and possibly TTech.

c. Cincinnatti - When they have the right coaching staff in place, we've seen them reach a BCS bowl game, i.e., Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago against Florida. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're building a stadium on campus? They lack tradition; however their fan base is growing. They're currently in a BCS conference (Big East) and I would think the Cincinnatti market would be attractive. Plus, the Big 12 could expand further into the midwest and possibly take some of the St. Louis and Indianapolis markets. Would they leave the Big East for the Big 12? I think so but who knows.

d. TCU - I know they're going to the Big East, but TCU wanted to join any BCS conference. I can't imagine they had their sites set on traveling to the east coast for the majority of their road games. Yes, it's another Texas school and yes, they'r reprsent a market the Big 12 dominates (Dallas/Ft. Worth); HOWEVER, they would add immediate strength and credibility to the conference. Every Big 12 member who plays them in football would see their strength of schedule increase. This team is starting to consistently finish in or very near the top 10-15. They just won the Rose Bowl and I would hate to see Big 12 miss out on a program that continues to climb the college football world. Travel expenses would be minimal and I don't think their coach would leave unless offered by a major program such as OU, UT, or a big time program from the SEC or PAC-12. He's seen just how demanding other jobs can be and the toll it takes on coaches. Oh, and OU's last home loss? TCU.

2. Is there a Big 12 Network TV deal in the works? I'm not sure on this, but if not, would a network TV program help? Is it feasible considering the new TV contracts secured last year by Don Beebe?

Just some random thoughts. I'm curious as to what anyone else thinks about strengthening the Big 12 Conference for its long-term success.

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/15/2011, 10:13 AM
I honestly dont see any way to strengthen the Big XII to where it is on the same level as the SEC or Big 10. The only way that would be possible is if we could steal a team from one of those conferences which wont happen. The Big XII is going to fall apart in the near future, it seems, so I just wish we could skip the BS and let it just happen now. I am rooting for A&M to the SEC that way we can set this thing in motion.

soonervegas
8/15/2011, 10:21 AM
I think the best, realistic way to strengthen would to:

1. Keep A&M
2. Get BYU in the fold
3. Ask Air Force or TCU to join (Would love West Virginia but they don't even appear to be on the radar)
4. Redesign the conference to a different alignment with OU and Texas in opposite divisions

thecrimsoncrusader
8/15/2011, 10:26 AM
The best way to strengthen the Big 12 is to get rid of Dan Beebe. Seriously.

XingTheRubicon
8/15/2011, 10:28 AM
the big 12 is myspace in 2008

delhalew
8/15/2011, 10:29 AM

Yup.

JLEW1818
8/15/2011, 10:29 AM
tell the whorns to quit sucking at football

badger
8/15/2011, 10:30 AM
As soon as Aggie is outta the way, The Longhorn Network should become the Big 12 Network. Then, there's no issue with the channel picking up an additional Big 12 game or dozen, depending on who isn't televised elsewhere, not only because there's no fear of fans not being able to see the game (because it would be in other states if it was a conference network), there's also no fear of bias towards UT... or at least, LESS fear :texan:

I also endorse getting rid of loser Beebe at this point. He seems to the worst leader of the BCS conferences and the reallignment stuff is making everyone look bad.

I agree that BYU needs to be one of our first calls for expansion, if we decide to go that route. From everything I've heard, they were a fun fanbase at Jerryworld, even if we lost the game.

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah, a regional conference with our traditional opponents is my first preference, but out of all of our "realistic" options (not sure if BYU is realistic or not, but I'm going with no for the time being) for expansion, none of them strengthen the conference in enough facets to justify adding them.

Some schools add a great football program but not very many fans and a TV market the Big 12 already has locked down (TCU).

Some schools add a sliver of hope that the Big 12 can stay relevant in a certain TV market should the big school in that area leave, but they don't offer much else (Houston).

Some schools are also in a TV market we already have, but don't add a great football program (SMU).

Cincinnati is interesting, but risky. They already have an on-campus stadium, but it is small. They do bring a new market, but it's not a huge market and it's a good distance from the Big 12. And their football program made strides under Kelly, but was unremarkable when he wasn't there, and they've only been a BCS team for a few years.

Any other mid-majors in the region (New Mexico, Colorado State, Memphis, Air Force, etc.) probably shouldn't even be considered, and I don't think the Big 12 is viable in the long-term as a 9-team conference while other conferences are getting stronger and richer. I think the Big 12's days are numbered right now, and that clock skips ahead a few minutes if (when) A&M leaves. Just my opinion.

winout
8/15/2011, 10:31 AM
Big XII cannot survive when one member has so much cache. Texas has to lose the network and that is not going to happen. Big XII is doomed and Castiglione should be proactive and find a conference that fits best for us. That is an expanded SE conference, IMHO.

NormanPride
8/15/2011, 10:32 AM
Telling a whorn to stop sucking anything is like telling an aggie to let go of their sheep.

Augusta_Sooner
8/15/2011, 10:32 AM

Oh, forgot to add this ^^^^as my 3rd option. I don't think the Big 12 could ever match the SEC, but it could strengthen itself from its current position. BYU, TCU or Cinci is the conference's best bet. I just see lots of potential with the Bearcats. They're solid in basketball as well.

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 10:35 AM
Big XII cannot survive when one member has so much cache. Texas has to lose the network and that is not going to happen. Big XII is doomed and Castiglione should be proactive and find a conference that fits best for us. That is an expanded SE conference, IMHO.

Boren doesn't want to go to the SEC. At least not at the moment. I'm sure if push comes to shove and it's between the SEC and being stuck in a conference with a bunch of mid-majors, he would take it, but everything I've heard says he wants no part of Dixie.

Football Jim
8/15/2011, 10:51 AM
For the Big 12 to survive the folks at the main office need to get aggressive and build the conference to 16 teams.
This may never happen but having the extra teams would leave room for future defections.

For stability it would be a good idea to invite all three military teams. I know it does nothing for adding power to the conference but it would be a nationwide interest.

Also to make the league strong the invite should be sent to LSU, Arkansas, Arizona, Arizona State, TCU, Notre Dame, Boise State and BYU.

It might not hurt to offer several other BCS teams in the ACC.

I know all of these would be a long shot at best, but having one or two come on board would be great.

If OU and * leave the Big 12 the teams who are left had better have a plan to add Colorado State, Houston, Memphis and Wyoming and drop the BCS and be content to have what they have.

Without an aggressive policy the Big 12 is finished.

S008NER
8/15/2011, 11:06 AM
NO 16 TEAM CONFERENCE!

10 teams, strong ooc scheduling

badger
8/15/2011, 11:23 AM
I am sure little bugs are being dropped in SEC ears, as well as big threats being dropped in Texas A&M years. You know, ones having to do with 10-year agreements. (http://www.aolnews.com/2010/06/17/kansas-athletic-director-says-big-12-members-commit-to-10-years/)

Right now, I'm sure every SEC president and athletic director has been dropped with the following bugs:

- You'll be able to get a new TV deal with or without Texas A&M, so why split the pot more ways?
- Having a bigger conference means more conference games. Less non-conference games means less home games. Less home games means less revenue.
- We are such a strong conference already. Why wreck something that seems perfect?
- If our goal is to be a stronger football conference, then why are we considering a team that hasn't won its own conference since the 90s and hasn't won a bowl game since 2001?
- The Texas legislature isn't going to let them move anyway, so why bother, right before football season, too?
- We need a more secure athletic department to deal with than Texas A&M, or at least one where the academic side doesn't force athletics to pay off millions in debt so fast. Do we even want to deal with debt-ridden department?
- A&M rejected us last year. They should have to pay for that by waiting longer for an invite.
- We are better than Texas A&M. Forget the size of the fanbase, the TV market or academics. They haven't had better than a 9-win season lately.
- The SEC is about national championships in football, not womens basketball. 1939 was a long time ago. Even Kentucky claims a share of one after then.
- I know people from the elite coasts might look down on us, but even we can look at Aggie and say that they are too weird for us.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 11:30 AM
The only way for the Big 12 to survive is to bring in a strong commissioner to replace DeLoss Dodds......but we know that will never happen.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/15/2011, 11:33 AM
Tell * to go indy and bring nebbish back. Problem solved.

sooneredaco
8/15/2011, 11:38 AM

My thoughts exactly. He's got his head so far up the tejas a$$ it clouds his judgment, therefore all of his decision making is skewed and not in the best interest of the conference as a whole.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 11:43 AM
My thoughts exactly. He's got his head so far up the tejas a$$ it clouds his judgment, therefore all of his decision making is skewed and not in the best interest of the conference as a whole.
I think it's the other way around, Beebee is nothing more than Dodds sock puppet....so it's Dodds who has his hand up Beebee's.......

Widescreen
8/15/2011, 11:44 AM
I don't want any more texas teams added to the conference for recruiting reasons. There are probably some recruits in the metroplex or Houston area that might be inclined to play for UH or TCU but they'd rather play in the Big 12. Adding either of those 2 teams would give them an excuse to stay home.

Tear Down This Wall
8/15/2011, 11:45 AM
Tell * to go indy and bring nebbish back. Problem solved.

Post of the Year. When we allowed Texas and A&M into the conference, then allowed them to shoe horn Baylor and Tech in...that was the genesis of any and all Big 12 problems we've ever had or will ever have.

Those clownsnots couldn't even run a conference where all the schools were confined to one state.

Any conference that has Texas will always be in upheaval because the never win the conference title as often as they think they should in their little pea pickin' mind, and so they're constantly trying to move the ball and make new rules.

As I've said on other threads - please, just call the SEC, tell them we'll be there next year, and be done with Texas as a conference mate forever.

Quik Sand
8/15/2011, 11:46 AM
Telling a whorn to stop sucking anything is like telling an aggie to let go of their sheep.:D Hook 'em [hairGel]

badger
8/15/2011, 12:05 PM
I don't want any more texas teams added to the conference for recruiting reasons. There are probably some recruits in the metroplex or Houston area that might be included to play for UH or TCU but they'd rather play in the Big 12. Added either of those 2 teams would give them an excuse to stay home.

It would be huge for Kevin Sumlin to be part of his team moving up into a BCS conference, so it wouldn't totally be lose-lose.

Peach Fuzz
8/15/2011, 12:10 PM
I don't understand why we have to start a new thread about this everyday. It's pretty much the same schools in every discussion.

ok, outside of my rant, OP is pretty spot on imo.

Augusta_Sooner
8/15/2011, 12:21 PM
Post of the Year. When we allowed Texas and A&M into the conference, then allowed them to shoe horn Baylor and Tech in...that was the genesis of any and all Big 12 problems we've ever had or will ever have.

Those clownsnots couldn't even run a conference where all the schools were confined to one state.

Any conference that has Texas will always be in upheaval because the never win the conference title as often as they think they should in their little pea pickin' mind, and so they're constantly trying to move the ball and make new rules.As I've said on other threads - please, just call the SEC, tell them we'll be there next year, and be done with Texas as a conference mate forever.

You're right about that. Didn't they get the Big 12 to change the rules regarding tie-breakers when things didn't go their way a couple of years ago? Now, the highest BCS ranked team in a 3-way tie-breaker still gets the nod, UNLESS the team that beat them head-to-head is within 2 BCS standings, I believe? What's next Texas, if you still don't get things your way, are you going to ask that all tie-breakers are ruled in favor of teams that are within 3 BCS spots? How about 4 BCS spots? Those who wear a shade of orange?

I didn't think about Boise St., like someone mentioned earlier. But they might be a viable candidate as well. I'm not in favor if inviting any of the military academies because I'm not sure they add strength to the conference. They do have national appeal though. I definitely agree that adding another Texas school could hurt recruiting. Would love to add Arkansas, but I just don't see any SEC team leaving that money and prestige behind. With the PAC-12's new TV contracts, I don't see any team from that conference leaving as well. I believe their deal is worth more than the SEC's.

Just seems like Beebe doesn't have a plan for the long-term success and viability of the Big 12. He's reactive instead of proactive and you can't be a successful commissioner of anything with that mindset. Can the Big 12 Presidents impeach him? Something's gotta give here.

badger
8/15/2011, 12:28 PM
You're right about that. Didn't they get the Big 12 to change the rules regarding tie-breakers when things didn't go their way a couple of years ago?

I think that rule change was initially voted down by the coaches... possibly because Mangino and Leach were among the voters then, hehe :D

I think the new rule is that if the top two teams of a three-way-tie are within one spot of each other in the BCS standings, the team that beat the other in the head-to-head goes... to the defunct no-longer-exists Big 12 title game :D

Seriously! It doesn't mean ANYthing now as far as the nat'l title game goes, because the BCS will invite the top two teams, regardless of conference rules (assuming they are eligible to go to the postseason *cough* USC! *cough*).

I only know this because texags was mega number crunching last year to try to figure out in the hell they could possibly make the title game with 3 losses to their discredit already. It was pretty funny. And delusional. In other words, typical aggie. Vintage aggie!

trwxxa
8/15/2011, 12:29 PM
How about the Big XII split the Tier1/Tier 2 TV money equally among all schools? The larger schools make enough on selling more seats and selling seats at a higher price. This would also keep the smaller schools (KSU, ISU) financially viable and not necessarily left in the cold if another school leaves.

It would also make the conference more attractive to outside schools we would want as part of the conference in the future.

Fire away.

silverwheels
8/15/2011, 12:33 PM
Boise State adds a currently good football program and nothing else, not even a decent TV market. But if A&M leaves and that voids the Big 12's ESPN conference unless we get a 10th member right away, we may just have to take who we can get, which would probably be Houston if BYU says no.

badger
8/15/2011, 12:37 PM
How about the Big XII split the Tier1/Tier 2 TV money equally among all schools? The larger schools make enough on selling more seats and selling seats at a higher price. This would also keep the smaller schools (KSU, ISU) financially viable and not necessarily left in the cold if another school leaves.

It would also make the conference more attractive to outside schools we would want as part of the conference in the future.

Fire away.

The Big 12 already voted to give the little guys bigger share, but the big holdup in this would be (drum roll) the stupid Aggies once again :rcmad:

Basically, the little guys offered up part their shares of the conference revenue as incentive for A&M to stay last year, promising that aggie would get $20 mil annually at least.

And now, A&M is sh!tting all over their generosity and giving up for the greater good spirit or whatever in their efforts to SECede. Seriously, we need to make 2003 look like OUr own generosity and giving spirit in comparison to what we do to them in our home stadium this season.

It will answer the age old question: "What if, in the fourth quarter, we didn't agree to a running clock and didn't take knees with tons of time left? What if we didn't fair catch repeatedly and not even try to get into the endzone?"

The best part, we'll be doing this with backups. Absolutely every walk-on, freshman and special teamer that doesn't usually get to play outside of special teams will have a touchdown after that night. All of them. 200 to nothing, OU wins. We are going to put our new scoreboard to the test. Does the new technology now allow us to put bigger numbers under our name? :D

I say it DOES. And we SHOULD. :rcmad:

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 12:44 PM
First thing you have to do is deal with Texas. They are going to have to be a good conference member to GTFO.

Probably hiring a new Commissioner or empowering the one we have.

Lure some better schools in and weed out a couple of irrelevant ones.

The Maestro
8/15/2011, 12:46 PM
the big 12 is myspace in 2008

This. You can try to come up with solutions. It will be dead soon. The Pac 12 commissioner is Zuckerburg and Beebe is Tom in his white t-shirt.

mehip
8/15/2011, 01:39 PM
The only way this conference is staying together is if there is an equal revenue split. At this point it isn't about playing ball, it is about money.

And the thought of adding ****ty nobody programs like Houston and the military schools are just silly. We've already got that with the majority of the teams from the north. Plus, all of those teams combined can't hold Neb's and Colorado's jock.

And forget about BYU and TCU, those ships have sailed.

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 01:54 PM
If they don't get rid of Beebe and the ESPN/LHN, then the conference goes under. Stoops is rumored to be furious about the LHN and so are other schools. If they allow TX to continue down this path with Beebe, then the conference folds.

Word out of local media is that Boren has several back-up plans ready to pull the trigger -- he didn't spend all these years moving Oklahoma up academically in a conference to see the conference filled with lower tier teams.

Beebe showed how much of an idiot he was when he said we could be a nine-team conference without evey thinking about the ESPN contract. He does remind me of Baghdad Bob!

brainpimp
8/15/2011, 02:16 PM
For the Big 12 to survive the folks at the main office need to get aggressive and build the conference to 16 teams.
This may never happen but having the extra teams would leave room for future defections.

For stability it would be a good idea to invite all three military teams. I know it does nothing for adding power to the conference but it would be a nationwide interest.

Also to make the league strong the invite should be sent to LSU, Arkansas, Arizona, Arizona State, TCU, Notre Dame, Boise State and BYU.

It might not hurt to offer several other BCS teams in the ACC.

I know all of these would be a long shot at best, but having one or two come on board would be great.

If OU and * leave the Big 12 the teams who are left had better have a plan to add Colorado State, Houston, Memphis and Wyoming and drop the BCS and be content to have what they have.

Without an aggressive policy the Big 12 is finished.

And what is your plan when you get publicly turned down by everyone of these schools you just pulled out of your butt?

That would be an absolute disaster.

phislammajamma
8/15/2011, 02:38 PM

boise and byu would be great. don't know what they will need to leave their current conferences (is byu and indy?). tcu would be wonderful but they just joined the big east.

OUNASH
8/15/2011, 02:52 PM
Get rid of texas for one and find a new commisioner who has a set of ba11s. Stand up to the bigger schools even when it is uncomfortable. Its called courage, Mr. Bebe has none. He whimpers like a bullied school kid. I wish this thing would blow up and we could go west and be done with it.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 02:52 PM
TCU has been in many conferences since the demise of the SWC, they seem to not have a problem changing conferences and don't have to worry about legislative complications.

SWC: 1923–1996
WAC: 1996-2001
C-USA: 2001-2005
Mountain West: 2005-2012
Big East: 2012

usaosooner
8/15/2011, 02:58 PM
You need to add one Texas team to get more eyebals. I'll say Houston

We need BYU, Houston & a Louisville

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 03:30 PM
Most of these teams don't bring anything to the table. They aren't options at all unless you want to dilute revenues.

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:48 PM
We have to worry about diluting revenues because that new TV is dead with only nine schools with A&M leaving. We should have gone west last year and been settled.

SoonerMom2
8/15/2011, 04:48 PM
We don't is what the above should read

bent rider
8/15/2011, 05:05 PM
I don't think byu is an option. They are a long way away; they are not even in a major airline city (a Stoolwater type drive from the SLC airport). Like Texas they have their own TV channel that they are activating for sports now that they are independent in football and they won't want to enter into a TV agreement that excludes that. And they won't play on Sundays (Big-12 championship tournaments with championship on Sunday would have to be re-worked with possible loss of TV revenue).

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 05:10 PM
The BYU channel has been in existence for quite a few years and it showed some of the minor sports even after the MTN network came online. The BYU channel did have quite a bit more than sports programing, it was in the religious section of the Directv channels. Also the Salt Lake City airport is 49 miles from the BYU campus, hardly a bad travel distance.

MountainOkie
8/16/2011, 03:53 PM
If the Big 12 (10) has to stay around then be bold about expansion.

Go after:

1. UCF from C-USA and,
2. USF from the Big East.

They are two of the top ten Universities by campus enrollment in the US, giving them a growing alumni base. They would be a pipeline to florida recruiting for the Big 12 giving it a pipeline to two of the three largest recruiting states in the nation. Both colleges field competitive teams: UCF was 11-3 last year and USF was 8-5. Finally, such a move by the Big 12 would probably add a good deal of TVs.

Travel would be an issue, but we're talking about survival here. This deal would do more then shore up the Big 12 it would make it competitive again. The long term growth potential with both schools joined to the Big 12 is through the roof.

delhalew
8/16/2011, 05:12 PM
Posts like this make me want to kill.^^^^^

To strengthen conference kick out Texas, and call it the Big8.

SoonerMom2
8/16/2011, 05:21 PM
LeRoy Selmon was the AD at South Florida for a long time and his son played for them.

MountainOkie
8/16/2011, 05:23 PM
Posts like this make me want to kill.^^^^^

Okay.... So I take it you didn't like the idea. Just my opinion of a good way to go offered up for discussion.

Sure it would be nice to kick Texas out, but it isn't going to happen.

delhalew
8/16/2011, 06:58 PM
Okay.... So I take it you didn't like the idea. Just my opinion of a good way to go offered up for discussion.

Sure it would be nice to kick Texas out, but it isn't going to happen.

I'm just playing around. I feel like I have heard every half-assed team in country suggested to round out the conference. I don't believe that any available teams would fit/are sufficient to "strengthen the conference".

The term "rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic" comes to mind.

No one but Oklahoma has the ability to tolerate Texas, except for those without a better option. Programs worth having look at this conference and think "you're f'n kidding me, right?"

sooneredaco
8/16/2011, 07:02 PM
Let's just add Miami and call it a day....

trwxxa
8/16/2011, 07:53 PM
Let's just add Miami and call it a day....

Looks like Texas has another future independent team to add to their schedule.

Whenever UM is allowed to play again.....:D

IlliniJ
8/23/2011, 02:44 AM
There is nothing that can be done to make the Big 12 relevant. You can add a few mid-major teams, but even then it severely lags behind every other major conference in terms of prestige.

OU feels that they always have to latch on to Texas, while OSU always has to be latched on to OU, so there is little that OU can do in terms of maneuvering in order to play in a legitimate conference. Norman is such an incredible town and OU fans are as knowledgeable as they come, but it looks like OU is stuck playing in third rate places like Waco, TX, Ames, IA, Manhattan, KS, etc for a very long time to come. It is sad when the posters on this board get excited about adding conference foes such as Central Florida, TCU, etc.

Widescreen
8/23/2011, 07:18 AM
It is sad when the posters on this board get excited about adding conference foes such as Central Florida, TCU, etc.
I haven't seen anyone excited about that.

cvsooner
8/23/2011, 11:52 AM
Yup.

No, Beebe is just the mouthpiece. Deloss Dodds is the problem.

Do you suppose Deloss has a brother named Dewin?

OUINCORINTH
8/23/2011, 01:11 PM
The Big XII will not die anytime soon.
Bringing in Notre Dame IS a real possibility.
Their program is going NOWHERE fast, ...forget Brian Kelly!
They have brought in every big name before him...It's plain and
simple, ND does NOT get the very most elite athletes it needs to
compete for a BCS Title. Those kids want to go play for the teams that
can win conference championships as well as a shot at a BCS title.
This will continue to keep ND down and mediocre as a program. EVENTUALLY
the catholics will get tired of this, and ND could anchor a North division in the Big XII.
We could then bring in a TCU or SMU for the 12th team and go back to having a championship
game. Bringing in either of those teams would be great in capturing the DFW metro, which their
is no team currently, even though the TV's are in the current deal.

SoonerMarkVA
8/23/2011, 05:01 PM
The way I see it, there is exactly one even remotely viable path to make the XII relevant for the relatively long term. You find a way to bring in BYU and ND. I don't know how you do that, but eventually ND will need to find a conference. The XII offers them an excellent opportunity to dominate a northern division, and with our unequal revenues they have a chance to get a bigger piece of the pie than in any other conference. BYU, having its own network, has the lure of keeping that *and* joining a BCS conference.

Short of that, or the even less likely scenario of poaching high-profile teams from other BCS conferences, the XII is a dead conference walking.

ddub0224
8/23/2011, 05:28 PM
No way Notre Dame joins the Big 12 with its long "unaffiliated" history with the Big 10 and all other sports part of the Big East. It makes great sense for the Big 12 to get Notre Dame...but not sense for them.

IlliniJ
8/23/2011, 05:50 PM
With all due respect, if Notre Dame was going to join a major conference, why would they choose the very worst one of them all in terms of member institutions, geography, and $$$?

It is almost laughable to imagine Notre Dame spurning the B10, SEC, Pac12, etc to play home and homes in Waco, TX, Ames, IA, Stillwater, OK, Manhattan, KS, etc.

MeMyself&Me
8/23/2011, 06:25 PM
No way Notre Dame joins the Big 12 with its long "unaffiliated" history with the Big 10 and all other sports part of the Big East. It makes great sense for the Big 12 to get Notre Dame...but not sense for them.

Actually, it makes good financial sense for them because they will make more in ANY of the BCS conferences than they are now off of their NBC contract.

With all due respect, if Notre Dame was going to join a major conference, why would they choose the very worst one of them all in terms of member institutions, geography, and $$$?

It is almost laughable to imagine Notre Dame spurning the B10, SEC, Pac12, etc to play home and homes in Waco, TX, Ames, IA, Stillwater, OK, Manhattan, KS, etc.

I think even those that think it's possible do regard it as a long shot because Notre Dame has shown to value tradition more than money but because of the unequal revenue sharing structure of the Big 12 and the ability to have it's own network TV station, a national draw program like Notre Dame is likely to do better financially in the Big 12 rather than anywhere else. You can also add that the smaller this conference gets, the easier it will be to bring along some of Notre Dame's traditional rivals that may prefer to be in a conference with Notre Dame.

Jacie
8/23/2011, 07:34 PM
Forget Notre Dame for any and all of the reasons already stated plus, they won't want to join any conference and screw up their hallowed schedule, which includes Stanford, USC, Michigan State, Purdue and Navy (now the longest continuosly played series in college football).

Unless another major concession is made (and at this point I cannot imagine what that might be), no way will sa*et allow any other team within the borders of the state of Texas in the Big XII.

So what does that leave?

BYU just left a conference to go indie. I think they are right where they want to be.

If there is an expansion in the future for the Big XII it will have to come from a mid-major in a non-BCS conference. From a regional perspective, the Big XII could consider raiding Conference USA and the Sun Belt. Possible teams are Tulane from Conference USA, Arkansas State, and the La's Lafayette and Monroe. With the talk about the SEC getting aTm as a means to open the door for recruiting in Texas, how about the Big XII taking one or more of these schools to open the door to recruiting in the SEC's backyard?

IlliniJ
8/23/2011, 08:32 PM
If there is an expansion in the future for the Big XII it will have to come from a mid-major in a non-BCS conference. From a regional perspective, the Big XII could consider raiding Conference USA and the Sun Belt. Possible teams are Tulane from Conference USA, Arkansas State, and the La's Lafayette and Monroe. With the talk about the SEC getting aTm as a means to open the door for recruiting in Texas, how about the Big XII taking one or more of these schools to open the door to recruiting in the SEC's backyard?

There is not a recruit in the world that would choose La Lafayette or Tulane over LSU, or Arkansas State over Arkansas. Why would a player want to go from playing in front of 100,000+ fans at their state's flagship school and in all of the other major SEC stadiums with blockbuster TV games on a weekly basis to instead go play at a third choice school in their own state and play in front of less than half the fans in a nationally irrelevant conference week in and week out?

The Longhorns and their minions conference is truly hopeless at this point.

IlliniJ
8/23/2011, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately, OU is basically back where it was in the old SWC conference. They have to do whatever benefits the Univ of Texas so that they can protect OK State, and in turn be in a conference with all third rate institutions and small-time game day atmospheres. Whoever else comes into the conference will be teams and institutions that none of the best conferences would ever want.

MeMyself&Me
8/23/2011, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately, OU is basically back where it was in the old SWC conference.

With all due respect, you're showing how little you know.

bluedogok
8/23/2011, 08:56 PM
OU was in the SWC since its inception in 1915 until they left the conference in 1919 when they left for the Missouri Valley.
I think the dynamics are a bit different now than they were in 1919.

dvdcrr
8/23/2011, 10:59 PM
Fixing/Saving/Strengthening the Big 9 is as easy as 1,2,3!

1. Get Rid of Dan Beebe and move the office to Oklahoma or Missouri. Hire a commissioner that doesn't wait to lose a member before he goes and gets the money.

2. Equal Revenue Sharing.

3. Delete Bigwhorn network and create Big 9 network. Add a team to make it big 12 again (you do the math)

MeMyself&Me
8/23/2011, 11:31 PM
Fixing/Saving/Strengthening the Big 9 is as easy as 1,2,3!

1. Get Rid of Dan Beebe and move the office to Oklahoma or Missouri. Hire a commissioner that doesn't wait to lose a member before he goes and gets the money.

2. Equal Revenue Sharing.

3. Delete Bigwhorn network and create Big 9 network. Add a team to make it big 12 again (you do the math)

I sort of agree but OU's admin doesn't even want number 2 and the first sentence of 3. The big issue is that the lack of number 2 has made the league unstable... not bad or irrelevant as some have put it. If all three was done before Colorado and Nebbish left, I think we'd still have 12 teams though. Now, number 2 and 3 as they are, give the Big 12 the best chance at attracting a big name school with a national draw which is the only way to save the conference long term now imo.

sperry
8/23/2011, 11:54 PM
This conference now is terrible. We have so many second rate programs in the conference, it's ridiculous. Tech, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., and Baylor are all worthless football programs. Okie State has been irrelevant until the past 3 or 4 years, and I dont' really see any reason why they would have sustained success. None of these schools have large or passionate fan bases, or have any national appeal in terms of television. If A&M leaves we're down to essentially us and Texas as the only schools worth a chit in the entire conference. That's not where you want to be.