PDA

View Full Version : Blueprint for College Football

StoopTroup
8/15/2011, 01:05 AM
Bob, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Kirk Herstriet, Mark May and some others were all sitting around discussing whether or not it would be cool to allow players to start selling autographs and memorabilia either via an Agent or a School Sponsored Function. They discussed the inherent problems that might spring up by allowing the ideas to happen and if they weren't well thought out how and who would be the folks that would be in control of helping to solve any problems that might come about? One guy made mention that if anyone thought the NCAA was capable of being the people to help keep order that they would be wrong as well as many other problems.

Bob mentionEd that his time as a Student athlete was a huge part of preparing him for the job he now has as well as the education he rec'd but that promising kids time or any kind of guarantee to be able to promote their Name or pictures to make money while they arenn school and direct them to the Local BMW Dealer or whatever was their pleasure was crazy. Another AD said that even thinking about having 125 Football Players with agents to have to deal with on top of Parents maybe(?) isn't exactly her idea of a dream for College Football/College Sports.

Did anyone see this little bit of ESPN beauty?

I did. I thought Bob did well but it sure seems that the idea is still going to be floating around until the NCAA addresses it and puts the idea of it or an Olympic Type of Solution that allows Athletes to promote themselves on their own time is resolved and or completely outlawed.

AlbqSooner
8/15/2011, 07:00 AM
I watched it for a bit. The impression I came away with is that anyone connected with college football is opposed to it except for the sports media.

cleller
8/15/2011, 07:06 AM
Yep the sports media thinks they should be able to flit in over the weekend, hee-haw around with some players, then spout their opinions on Monday.

Meanwhile the coaches and college officials live the situation day and night, but they must have it all wrong.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/15/2011, 07:22 AM
Please revise?? ST, I don't understand what you're saying Bob said.

olevetonahill
8/15/2011, 07:34 AM
Bob thinks its a Crazy assed idea. ;)

badger
8/15/2011, 08:20 AM
If the colleges truly were abusing those poor football players soooo damn much, then why do you always see alumni getting back on campus whenever they can to roam the sidelines, to make jumbotron promo clips, to be honored by their beloved college fans from their previous glory days?

Ohhhh booo hoooo I got a free education but didn't take it seriously enough :rolleyes:

SanJoaquinSooner
8/15/2011, 08:38 AM
ESPN is TV and TV needs drama.

I don't object if they want to give every student athlete a monthly allowance for spending money, but the idea of them earning money from autographs and anything directly related to their celebrity status, is not a good one.