PDA

View Full Version : Gray Shirt?

papawlambert
8/13/2011, 05:29 PM
What is the true definition? Do you go to school as a regular student for the first semester and then scholarship? Do you have to go to another school other than OU for that semester?
Papaw

PLaw
8/13/2011, 06:12 PM
What is the true definition? Do you go to school as a regular student for the first semester and then scholarship? Do you have to go to another school other than OU for that semester?
Papaw

My best friend's son gray shirted at SMU about 5 years ago. The way I understand it, the student athlete enrolls in school on his on dime with no scholarship benefits. The student athlete cannot participate in any team activities such as meetings and practice. After the gray shirt period, the student athlete may receive a scholarship that was promised at the beginning of the gray shirt period, if one is still available. Gray shirts are normally used for situations such as a pre-existing injury that requires rehab therapy. In my friend's son's case, he was left to his own to figure out his physical therapy and conditioning. He lived by himself, off campus, and never got connected to the coaches, team, or university. He transferred to TAMU where he earned his degree on his daddy's dime. Bennett told my friend that the coaching staff probably didn't do right by his son. But, then again, the coaches have 85 scholarship kids to worry about and that leaves zero time for gray shirts. It's a tough road, probably a notch below a walk on.

Boomer

cccasooner2
8/13/2011, 06:37 PM
http://en.allexperts.com/q/College-Football-2792/Definition-Gray-Shirt.htm

soonerhubs
8/13/2011, 06:43 PM
It's something the SEC programs give many of the student athletes in the fall after promising the world to them in the Spring. See Les Miles.

papawlambert
8/13/2011, 06:50 PM
Looks like some big time decisions coming up this year. It will take a lot of trust on both sides.
Papaw

Rhino
8/13/2011, 10:01 PM
Jordan Wade is greyshirting this season.

I think Bubba Moses was our last greyshirt.

Flying Scotsman
8/13/2011, 11:23 PM
A dirty white shirt that can't be cleaned by Clorox?

Flagstaffsooner
8/14/2011, 03:55 PM
The student must not be a 'full time student' in his first semester, ie less than 14 hrs.

northspeter
8/14/2011, 05:04 PM
Jordan Wade is greyshirting this season.

I think Bubba Moses was our last greyshirt.

wade isnt greyshirting... you have to be enrolled at that institution to greyshirt... wade is taking classes elsewhere, then enrolling at OU for the spring semester...

unless someone knows something different, that's what i've read and heard on the subject...

papawlambert
8/14/2011, 08:06 PM
So it looks like no advantage to the athlete. It keeps an athlete that has offers from committing to another school with a weak promise to scholarship him later. I guess the school could look at it as they have too many guys at the position on scholarship and even though some of them may be weak, they will not jerk their scholarships.
Papaw

GKeeper316
8/14/2011, 08:58 PM
The student must not be a 'full time student' in his first semester, ie less than 14 hrs.

12 hours is full time.