PDA

View Full Version : Is OU still number one after Lewis going down?

Always_Sooner
8/13/2011, 01:16 PM
Should Lewis injury affect Sooners ranking?

By Rivals.com Staff 9 hours, 14 minutes ago

tweet
Email
Print

At the College Football Roundtable each week, we ask each member of the college football coverage staff for their opinion about a topic in college football.

THIS WEEK’S QUESTION: Oklahoma LB Travis Lewis has a broken bone in his left foot and will miss eight weeks. Is the injury serious enough for you to reconsider ranking Oklahoma No. 1 in the preseason poll?

Olin Buchanan’s answer:
Alabama would have been my No. 1 pick before Lewis’ injury. That said, losing a player of Lewis’ caliber, a guy who is a team leader and a three-time all-conference selection, has to hurt. His replacement, sophomore Corey Nelson, is highly regarded, so the drop-off might not be as dramatic as feared. But no team can lose a player such as Lewis without some decline. Still, as good as Lewis is, I don’t think his absence (for however long it turns out to be) changes OU’s outlook much. The Sooners’ strength is their offense. They might have to score 35 points a game without Lewis, but they’re capable of doing that.

Tom Dienhart’s answer:
I think it is. This wasn’t a tremendous Sooners defense to begin with. Last season, the unit was 58th in the nation vs. the run (148.9 ypg), 51st vs. the pass (212.9) and 53rd overall (361.9). The group also is replacing three starting defensive backs while also dealing with the tragic offseason death of LB Austin Box. Now, Oklahoma will be without its best defensive player for eight weeks. Lewis is the true heart and soul of the unit after leading OU in tackles each of the past three seasons. The Sooners will have to play some big games without Lewis, including a huge trip to Florida State on Sept. 17. There also is a home game against Missouri and the annual Red River Shootout with Texas that OU must play without Lewis. Knowing that Lewis will be out for eight weeks, I think Alabama or LSU now would be better choices at No. 1.

David Fox’s answer:
Absolutely. Anytime we rank a team No. 1, we’re essentially picking that team to win the national championship, with a great chance of going undefeated. All I have to do is look at the Sooners’ schedule to see there is a major barrier to Oklahoma achieving both of those goals - the game at Florida State on Sept. 17, which Lewis will miss. Even if that is Oklahoma’s only loss, one loss might be enough to keep the Sooners out of the national title race. If Florida State is indeed the top-10 team everyone is predicting the Seminoles will be, Lewis’ absence may be enough to tilt that game in favor of Florida State. Beyond that game, there’s the possibility Lewis could miss the Texas game, too. I realize Oklahoma should be a far better team than Texas this season, but the Sooners still beat the Longhorns last season by a mere eight points. Oklahoma could go undefeated without Lewis for a few games, but the injury would be enough for me to pick a new No. 1 team.

Mike Huguenin’s answer:
Lewis is OU’s best defensive player, by far, and might be the most talented player on the team. That said, Oklahoma’s offense is why I had them as my preseason No. 1. And as long as Landry Jones, Ryan Broyles, Kenny Still and the rest of that unit is healthy, I still would have OU No. 1. There’s no question, though, that early-season games against Florida State, Missouri and Texas just got a lot more interesting. It’s hard to beat good teams without your best defensive player, and that’s what OU has to do now.

Steve Megargee’s answer:
Lewis’ injury certainly has given me second thoughts about putting Oklahoma in the No. 1 spot. Oklahoma likely wins its season opener against Tulsa with or without Lewis, but the Sooners travel to Florida State and play host to Missouri in their next two games. I expected an Oklahoma team that featured Lewis in its linebacker corps to win both those games. Without Lewis in the lineup, that showdown at FSU looks more like a toss-up and even the home game with Missouri seems dangerous. And even though I’d penciled in Oklahoma for the No. 1 spot throughout the postseason, I always questioned the wisdom of not selecting a team from the SEC, which has won the past five national championships. I had opted for Oklahoma originally in part because my preseason SEC favorite was Alabama, and I didn’t want to predict that the national title would go to a team with a first-year starting quarterback. But now that Oklahoma has lost a key member of its defense for a significant chunk of the season, I’d be more inclined to make Alabama my preseason pick for the championship.

[rl]

BrockLanders
8/13/2011, 01:37 PM
as Stoops would say " we don't much care how we are ranked in August".

That being said Stoopsy style...of course T Lewis being out is going to make Tulsa, FSU, Missou and TX more difficult. MLB is the QB of the defense. If we aren't lined up right, we are f'd against FSU. Not worried about TX or Mizz so much. Tulsa is sorta scary. Very good offense but we should outscore them.

LVSOONER15
8/13/2011, 01:45 PM
The ranking should't matter till January.

Always_Sooner
8/13/2011, 01:47 PM
I wonder if he is back for Texas? Only time will tell.

LASooner
8/13/2011, 01:49 PM
It was interesting listening to Bill King talk about it, he was saying it was silly to compare it to 2009, that although Travis Lewis was the leader of the defense, but not even the most talented linebacker on the team. And while you don't want to start the season without him, the team was strong enough to still win all their games. It was interesting to hear that from national guy.

oudavid1
8/13/2011, 01:59 PM
Have we lost yet?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/13/2011, 02:50 PM
A lot of outsiders are going to go "oh" when they see Corey Nelson play. He is going to be yet another Sooner linebacking great and that time is now, not down the road.

BigTip
8/13/2011, 02:58 PM
Not exactly feeling the love from rivals.com, eh?

Screw'em. Feed'em catfish heads!

OUInformant
8/13/2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, this is stupid.

First of all, Travis Lewis is not our most talented guy. He is very good and experienced, and a leader, but I would say that there are more talented guys, albeit some are unproven. This is the deepest team we've had under Stoops, so I can guarantee that we will have a guy who is just chomping at the bit to get PT. What this does is make us deeper at LB for Big 12 play.

Travis Lewis is out for UP TO EIGHT WEEKS from last week! He isn't out for 8 weeks of the season, which means that he will likely be back by Ball St. or Texas. The only game we will have needed him, at that point, is the FSU game. FSU is sporting EJ Manuel, who isn't exactly Andrew Luck.

What about Alabama, who is replacing there starting QB? Because of this, I think Alabama loses 2-3 games this year. Makes no sense.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/13/2011, 03:12 PM
But but but Alabama has a QB that was highly regarded at the prep level. And so was Ron Powlus, Kyle Wright, Tommy Grady, Garrett Gilbert, etc.. :) I'm sure McCarron will be fine and he was always smart and good with protecting the football, but he still has to prove it at the collegiate level and that's a huge question mark until he does.

Always_Sooner
8/13/2011, 03:17 PM
Rhett Bomar.

tcrb
8/13/2011, 03:44 PM
But 'bama is in the sec and duh..... they have sec speed.

Quik Sand
8/13/2011, 04:16 PM
If they want OU ranked 3 or 4 now, so be it. After a win at FSU, OU would vault right back to number 1 anyway considering they will have the most impressive win of anyone at that point (ya its early).

oudavid1
8/13/2011, 05:17 PM
I will say this about Travis, he is the undisputed leader of this team. He is also the most consistent player on the team.

That being said, his position just isnt as important in College Football than it is in the pros. Especially at a school with a lot of talent around said position.

It may sound corny, but i'm just thankful he is still with us. After what happened with Austin, you learn to life with the petty problems you get with football.

From a pure football point, it could cost us some points on defense. Just like Ryan Reynolds vs Texas in 2008. But the main reason for that was depth. I truly feel we have that in Nelson. Not to mention...stopping the pass is more of an athletic endeavor, stopping the run is more a scheme orientated situation. (Possibly) Losing Jameel Flemming was worse than this.

I just hope he is back for texas. Because I really do want beat their ***. And I want T-Lew to be the most hated/respected linebacker in their eyes.

BoulderSooner79
8/13/2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't put OU #1 after losing Box, J. Jones and now Lewis. But no team *deserves* #1 or any other number right now as no team has accomplished anything. The BCS has it right on this one as they don't publish a ranking until week 5 or so.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/13/2011, 08:00 PM
Not having Jarvis Jones for awhile means less personal fouls per game. :)