PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Cover Story on LHN

Sooner Among The Pack
8/12/2011, 08:03 AM
Nothing earth shattering, but surprised me a bit to see it on the front page of the print edition:

http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2011-08-12-1A-cover-Longhorn-network_CV_U.htm

"It's unhealthy for that conference," says A.J. Maestas, a consultant with Navigate Marketing, which has advised pro and college leagues and teams. "Texas is already getting a disproportionate amount of the Big 12 TV money, and this will create a more unlevel playing field. I think the Big 12 will fall apart because of this. Then who will Texas play against in, say, softball and volleyball?"

Sooner Cal
8/12/2011, 09:32 AM
I don't think many out of state cable networks are going to pay 40 cents per subscriber in order to carry the LHN. It will have to be pay tv at a set fee per month which will have to be in the $10 per month range or more.

LHN will be an infomercial, Greg Hill is correct.

All of this is making the other 9 schools in the Big XII look pretty foolish. Joe C. may have thought that OU could do a similar deal and minimize UT's advantage, but he doesn't have a career in tv programming to base any judgment.

We should split.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/12/2011, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't be surprised is ESPN makes it a "must carry", then the cable outlets will increase fees to stick another crappy channel no one watches on the list.

Jacie
8/12/2011, 09:54 AM
As popular as ESPN may be, it does not have the power to raise cable rates.

GKeeper316
8/12/2011, 10:20 AM
ya i remember the last time disney wanted more money from the cable service providers. the cable companies threatened to drop all the disney owned networks. then disney started thier pr campaign, got a ton of people to call the cable companies and bitch, and the cable companies caved and our rates went up.