PDA

View Full Version : alumni game!!

nativesooner
8/11/2011, 04:52 PM
sounds awesome for us "old" fans that know the names listed! can't wait!

Men's Basketball to Hold Aug. 26-27 Alumni Reunion
Kruger and staff will honor 2002 Final Four team with 10-year anniversary celebration.

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma head men's basketball coach Lon Kruger announced today that his staff will welcome back former OU players and coaches for the inaugural Sooner Basketball Family Weekend alumni event Aug. 26-27.

Among the activities scheduled for the two-day reunion are a Tip In Club Golf Classic (Friday morning and afternoon tee times), a Friday evening banquet in the men's basketball practice facility honoring the 2002 Final Four team, and a Saturday alumni legends game at noon that will be free to the public.

"Oklahoma basketball has an outstanding tradition," said first-year head coach Lon Kruger, "and it's important that the former players and coaches who have made this program so successful know that it will always be their program. We're one big family and this will be a fulfilling weekend for all of our alumni who can attend. The large number of players and coaches who have committed to returning reflects the pride they have in the tradition of their program."

The Tip In Club Golf Classic will be held at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club (named one of Golfweek's "Best Courses You Can Play" each of the last three years), and costs $200 per individual (spots are filling up fast, so reservations are encouraged now). For more information or to register for Friday's golf event or dinner, call the OU Men's Basketball Office at (405) 325-4732.

Saturday's alumni legends game at Lloyd Noble Center will be open to the public. Former OU players and coaches will be available for autographs before and after the game. The Pride of Oklahoma marching band will be present and concession stands will be open. Also, fans in attendance will have the opportunity to be photographed with current and former OU men's basketball players for the 2011-12 team schedule poster.

"Students and families are the cornerstones of a great game atmosphere at Lloyd Noble Center," said Kruger. "The season may still be a few months away, but we invite everyone to come out to the alumni legends game and enjoy a couple of hours together with many of our Sooner greats."

Some of the many former Sooners already scheduled to participate in the weekend festivities include: Ernie Abercrombie, Alvan Adams, Steve Bajema, Corey Brewer, Al Beal, Anthony Bowie, Shawn Clark, Nate Erdmann, Ebi Ere, Ted Evans, Terry Evans, Ricky Grace, Blake Griffin, Garfield Heard, Skeeter Henry, Tim Heskett, Darryl "Choo" Kennedy, Joe King, David Little, Longar Longar, Tony Martin, Scott Martin, James Mayden, Tim McCalister, John McCullough, Mike McCurdy, Rick McNeil, Kelley Newton, John Ontjes, Ted Owens, Lester Pace, Calvin Pierce, Brent Price, Hollis Price, Bob Pritchard, Clifford Ray, Renzi Stone, Billy Tubbs, Tommy Tubbs and Quannas White.

Schedule of Events

Friday, Aug. 26
7 a.m. -- Morning golf registration
8 a.m. -- Shotgun start for morning golfers
11:30 a.m. -- Afternoon golf registration
11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. -- Lunch
1 p.m. -- Shotgun start for afternoon golfers
7 p.m. -- Tip In Club dinner honoring 2002 Final Four team

Saturday, Aug. 27
Noon -- Alumni Legends Game (LNC doors open at 11 a.m.)

SoonerofAlabama
8/11/2011, 05:05 PM
Sounds great. Lot of big names there.

Jay C. Upchurch
8/11/2011, 10:28 PM
It should be a great event!

OUmillenium
8/12/2011, 11:04 AM
Totally awesome! I gotta bring my old programs and get these guys sigs!...
Anthony Bowie
Shawn Clark
TMAC
CHOO
Ricky Grace
Tony Martin
Skeeter

maybe more

nativesooner
8/12/2011, 11:07 AM
Same here Mil! I'm pumped!

Jay, are you setting up a table inside?

Soonerjeepman
8/12/2011, 03:56 PM
cool to get Skeeter in there...hmmm...maybe something to do with his son!

I still have the pic of him dunking over Maddox of KU...would love to get that signed...but work calls...

Vegas Sooner
8/12/2011, 06:34 PM
No Horse-Pigs!

NCSooner18
8/15/2011, 07:00 PM
What, no Big Time?

badger
8/16/2011, 07:53 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the event, Lon! I'm sure the alums appreciate it.

NMSooner'80
8/16/2011, 11:23 AM
If Al Beal still has any "hops" left, he needs to throw down an alley-oop pass from John McCullough one more time at the LNC. Those were the signature plays from my "era" as a student ('77-80).

Seriously, anyone who was at OU in February of 1977 will never forget those back-to-back epic thrillers with K-State and Mizzou. I shudder to think what would have become of OU basketball had we not won both of them. And they were also almost exactly by the same score (64-63 vs. KSU, 66-63 vs. Mizzou). The OU-Mizzou game that Wednesday night back in '77 was also the first-ever LNC sellout, and it rocked.

Vegas Sooner
8/16/2011, 06:25 PM
Bring back TOP DAWG!!!

Sooner24
8/17/2011, 10:22 AM
What, no Big Time?

That's exactly what I said! :D

OUmillenium
8/17/2011, 02:15 PM
yes, TOP DAWG please!

OUmillenium
8/27/2011, 11:51 AM
I'm here! anybody else? looks like brent price and me could crush A buffet

OUmillenium
8/27/2011, 12:25 PM
my life is complete, i just saw Tim M hit another 3 in the LNC

bigfatjerk
8/27/2011, 03:52 PM
Nate Erdmann was the MVP of the game. Kelvin wins another game after giving up 50 first half points.

OUmillenium
8/27/2011, 09:14 PM
OK, good things still happen, I got TMACs autograph on the program for the 1987 Mizzou game where he drained a 3 with 6 secs left to seal the win. My first OU basketball game ever. A life changer

Sooner24
8/28/2011, 10:00 AM
OK, good things still happen, I got TMACs autograph on the program for the 1987 Mizzou game where he drained a 3 with 6 secs left to seal the win. My first OU basketball game ever. A life changer

I should have taken my 1984 Big 8 Tournament program where T-Mac missed a shot at the buzzer to lose to Kansas. :sorrow:

SoonerQueen
8/29/2011, 06:10 PM
We went to the alumni game and had the best time. I only got 2 autographs, Alvin Adams and Kelvin Sampson. It was fun seeing all the older players and of course being in the LNC with Blake and Taylor again. It was a great idea by Lon Kruger. About 4,000 people showed up, so I'd say it was a success.I hope they do events like this again.

TheresOnlyOne
8/31/2011, 04:37 PM
Awesome tribute to the 2002 team, but there were a lot of big time contributors not there. Anybody have word on Jabhari Brown, Jason Detrick, Daryan Selvy, Ace McGee.....????

SoonerQueen
9/1/2011, 02:32 AM
Didn't see the Bookouts either.

Vegas Sooner
9/10/2011, 08:03 PM
LON!!!! PLEASE BRING BACK OU TRADITION WITH TOP DAWG!!!