PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Howard Schnelly (set to retire from FAU after this season)

badger
8/11/2011, 02:11 PM
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/articlepath.aspx?articleid=20110811_231_0_Hwrcnl20 8759)

Soonerson1975
8/11/2011, 02:20 PM
I figured he'd coach till he died.

mikee likee
8/11/2011, 02:56 PM
I think he died 10 years ago. Bourbon is a helluva preservative. :P

Sooner_Tuf
8/11/2011, 02:59 PM
They were considering getting him pickled but found out he already was.

unbiasedtruth
8/11/2011, 03:03 PM
he made the announcement so he can cover his hind end because he knows if FA doesnt do well, he would be fired this year....

ouleaf
8/11/2011, 03:04 PM
I think he died 10 years ago. Bourbon is a helluva preservative. :P

Either that or it's been a long, long version of Weekend at Bernie's

rekamrettuB
8/11/2011, 03:06 PM
Did he turn in his notice to himself the same way he turned in his own resume to himself?

The Maestro
8/11/2011, 03:25 PM
Say what you will, but that is gonna be one helluva retirement party!

stoopified
8/11/2011, 08:14 PM
Good riddance

BajaOklahoma
8/12/2011, 12:48 AM
About 15 years too late.

TumbleweedDoom
8/12/2011, 09:58 AM
he made the announcement so he can cover his hind end because he knows if FA doesnt do well, he would be fired this year....

Typically dumb thought on college football by what appears to be the living epitome of a myopic OU fan.

TumbleweedDoom
8/12/2011, 10:00 AM
Rag on Howard all you want guys, but he's done a good job at FAU. They've slid back the last couple of years, but he accomplished things there that haven't been done in college football. He truly is the builder of programs ... just ask any fan in Coral Gables, Louisville or Boca Raton.

budbarrybob
8/12/2011, 10:40 AM
Rag on Howard all you want guys, but he's done a good job at FAU. They've slid back the last couple of years, but he accomplished things there that haven't been done in college football. He truly is the builder of programs ... just ask any fan in Coral Gables, Louisville or Boca Raton.

Yeah. Great. Give it up to Smellsofbourbon. He's a great guy everywhere else :rolleyes: The fact is he SUCKED BALLS at OU. Do I care that he was a saint anywhere else? NO. Do I care that while he was here he made an *** of himself and embarrassed the state and OU? YES. DO I expect him to know the players names? YES. The list goes on and on so don't expect the the Myopic OU fans to ever appreciate the fact that he won a MNC at Miami. :mad:

Mississippi Sooner
8/12/2011, 11:09 AM
Yeah. Great. Give it up to Smellsofbourbon. He's a great guy everywhere else :rolleyes: The fact is he SUCKED BALLS at OU. Do I care that he was a saint anywhere else? NO. Do I care that while he was here he made an *** of himself and embarrassed the state and OU? YES. DO I expect him to know the players names? YES. The list goes on and on so don't expect the the Myopic OU fans to ever appreciate the fact that he won a MNC at Miami. :mad:

+1 1/2

I don't care what he did anywhere else, the way he crapped on Bud and Barry and the OU tradition, and the ****ty way he treated the OU fanbase is something I'll never forget. Let them celebrate his legacy wherever they want, but that will never be in Oklahoma.

TumbleweedDoom
8/12/2011, 01:23 PM
You guys are pretty much the people I like to avoid and make fun of during OU gamedays -- you know, the ones who get to Norman and then can't figure out where they're driving because they only come to town 6 Saturdays a year.

+1 all you want -- the fact remains you're reveling in your ignorance and the more you talk, the more ignorant you sound (I'm using ignorant in the classic sense, and not the broad, insult manner.)

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2011, 02:06 PM
In other news, Jim Beam stock just rose 22% on the news that Howie was goning to have extra time on his hands.

TumbleweedDoom
8/12/2011, 02:43 PM
In other news, Jim Beam stock just rose 22% on the news that Howie was goning to have extra time on his hands.

(Sigh). I rest my case.

bonkuba
8/13/2011, 11:26 AM
(Sigh). I rest my case.

I have no problem with him other than be sucked and was an awful coach....and a drunk. Other than that he was a great guy. My sis worked in the football office while be was there....seemed to be a nice guy, but as a coach he was horrible.

He may have done well at FA....he made something from nothing.....so can I....I can make a helluva sand castle outta nothing but sand.

Anyway....he sucked.....case closed. Good for him that he is retiring.

101sooner
8/13/2011, 11:43 AM
No way John Blake could have gone 3-8 without Howard's recruits.

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:46 AM

Laugh we will. That guy was a joke in Norman from day one.

Yeah, he's done well at other places but this is an OU board smart guy.

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:47 AM
You guys are pretty much the people I like to avoid and make fun of during OU gamedays -- you know, the ones who get to Norman and then can't figure out where they're driving because they only come to town 6 Saturdays a year.

+1 all you want -- the fact remains you're reveling in your ignorance and the more you talk, the more ignorant you sound (I'm using ignorant in the classic sense, and not the broad, insult manner.)

I know where Sugers is. I'm betting ole Howard did too.

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:48 AM
Ah yes, the Wolverines!

101sooner
8/13/2011, 11:51 AM
I know where Sugers is. I'm betting ole Howard did too.

I know Boz did. :D

TumbleweedDoom
8/14/2011, 12:00 AM
Laugh we will. That guy was a joke in Norman from day one.

Yeah, he's done well at other places but this is an OU board smart guy.

Again, I rest my case. There's a reason people make fun of "OU fans" -- and there is a reason I put that in quotations, because "OU fans" such as yourself and others on here luckily don't represent the more intelligent and non-myopic of us.

SoonerDood
8/14/2011, 12:18 AM
I still don't understand why I'm supposed to appreciate a guy who crapped on one of my favorite things in the world. And somehow I'm the *******.

TumbleweedDoom
8/14/2011, 12:26 AM
Because you're unable to look past your own interests. The guy was good for everything everywhere else. He had one bad year here. I get that. But to say absolute ignorant things about how he's horrible and should have retired 15 years ago is just freakin' dumb and makes you sounds like the "OU fan" that other schools laugh at.

En_Fuego
8/14/2011, 12:40 AM
Because you're unable to look past your own interests. The guy was good for everything everywhere else. He had one bad year here. I get that. But to say absolute ignorant things about how he's horrible and should have retired 15 years ago is just freakin' dumb and makes you sounds like the "OU fan" that other schools laugh at.

:les: dfalkseoiwoeriowmdm

SoonerDood
8/14/2011, 12:42 AM

So if a dude hits me over the head with a hammer, yet helps an old lady across the street I'm supposed to think he's a good guy?! Screw that and screw him! You rag on all of us "fake OU fans" for not seeing your point of view yet you refuse to see ours!

En_Fuego
8/14/2011, 12:43 AM
49yZQOi4ZFU

En_Fuego
8/14/2011, 12:46 AM
Fu7sTSnRp3g

TumbleweedDoom
8/14/2011, 10:07 AM
It's not "my" point of view -- it's the point of view of the entire college football universe outside of a few pathetic OU fans.

Sooner Eclipse
8/14/2011, 10:19 AM
It's not "my" point of view -- it's the point of view of the entire college football universe outside of a few pathetic OU fans.

Its attitudes like yours that would have allowed Howie to drive around Norman until he caused a fatality DUI. Good riddance.

Flagstaffsooner
8/14/2011, 06:13 PM
Its attitudes like yours that would have allowed Howie to drive around Norman until he caused a fatality DUI. Good riddance.Why not at osu it is the norm?

En_Fuego
8/14/2011, 06:24 PM

"The entire universe loves Howard Drunkenberger"..[hairGel]

BoulderSooner79
8/14/2011, 06:52 PM
From a high-level, cosmic point of view Schnellenburger contributed to the chain of events that led to Stoops being our coach. He won't be celebrated at OU, but I have no problem with the way things worked out. Had he not taken the job, or been enough better to hang on a year or 2 more, we might still be in the '90s funk. I'm sure he has wiped his memory of OU as much as we have of him.

picasso
8/14/2011, 06:55 PM
Again, I rest my case. There's a reason people make fun of "OU fans" -- and there is a reason I put that in quotations, because "OU fans" such as yourself and others on here luckily don't represent the more intelligent and non-myopic of us.

Wow, myopic. As a person who works with an Optician I'm so uniquely impressed.

olevetonahill
8/14/2011, 07:09 PM

Yea But yer Mammas Fat:P

SCOUT
8/14/2011, 07:25 PM

S chnellenberger is 157-140-3 as a collegiate head coach, including a 5-5-1 record as head coach at OU in 1995

Truly one of the all time greats.

Soonerson1975
8/14/2011, 07:26 PM
Truly one of the all time greats.

What would his record had been if he had stayed at Miami for 12 years?

SCOUT
8/14/2011, 07:29 PM
What would his record had been if he had stayed at Miami for 12 years?

Hmm, we could guess what could have been or we can look at what was.

Soonerson1975
8/14/2011, 07:33 PM
Hmm, we could guess what could have been or we can look at what was.

All I'm saying is that Louisville and FAU isn't Miami.

StoopTroup
8/15/2011, 02:04 AM
TumbleDorkofDookie has lost it.

There was a good reason Miami and OU let that guy go and every fan in Norman could feel it in their bones that the guy had no allegiance to OUr School and used us as a Transition School for his own gain. He lost the job he wanted forever and needed OU to help save his reputation. He ****ed that up while he was here and went on to try and disprove what a lucky SOB he was at Miami and the fact he used and didn't deserve the shot OU gave him.

We love guys that will be loyal to us and restore our good name and recruit good players.

You can speculate all you want about the fact we didn't give him the time he needed but folks close to him learned real quick that he was a fraud.

I think it's obvious he was maybe capable of helping a small School to compete but never was he in a position to take a Div IA School to an Elite Status from ground zero. He was merely a guy that could do impersonations of Talented Coaches.

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 05:05 AM
gec9IIJEU2E

That's all folks!

C&CDean
8/15/2011, 06:35 AM

Golly gee Gomer, we've got a certified genius on the board right here. He still lives at his mommy's house in Norman so he knows all the backroads to the game. Isn't he special?

Why don't you stick to baseball instead of coming over here and trying to act like you're more intelligent than...somebody?

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 08:39 AM
He didn't get fired from Miami, he left to go coach in the USFL and it closed up shop on him. Miami already had Jimmy Johnson by then.

I met him once when he was coach at Louisville, on the field after the Tulsa game. A friend and I went up to see Jerry Crafts play after he transferred from OU to Louisville after the Switzer/Gibbs coaching change. We were talking to Jerry and his parents and Schnellenberger came over and said hello and talked with us for about five minutes, seemed like a nice guy in that brief moment, Jerry seemed to like him.

I was excited about it when they named him the OU coach, he had been pretty successful wherever he had been and felt that he could do well. I realized pretty quickly that my assessment was wrong and he didn't understand what a big time program was all about. He may have been with Bear Bryant but that was at Kentucky, not Bama. I think he was more of the "underdog" type of coach and not a top tier program type of coach. That is probably why he was successful in the places that he won in, none had much football tradition so he could craft his own, heck Miami about dropped football around the time he became head coach.

I still think he was a good coach and builder of programs, just not a top tier coach.

BoulderSooner79
8/15/2011, 10:35 AM
I don't dislike him for what he did at OU - it took every historical twist and turn to end up with Stoops. For Schnelly, I think it was step 1 in the 12 step program (maybe I *do* have a problem).

What he should be hated for is creating that monster down in Coral Gables.

Salt City Sooner
8/15/2011, 01:52 PM
He didn't get fired from Miami, he left to go coach in the USFL and it closed up shop on him. Miami already had Jimmy Johnson by then.

I met him once when he was coach at Louisville, on the field after the Tulsa game. A friend and I went up to see Jerry Crafts play after he transferred from OU to Louisville after the Switzer/Gibbs coaching change. We were talking to Jerry and his parents and that old drunk came over and said hello and talked with us for about five minutes, seemed like a nice guy in that brief moment, Jerry seemed to like him.

I was excited about it when they named him the OU coach, he had been pretty successful wherever he had been and felt that he could do well. I realized pretty quickly that my assessment was wrong and he didn't understand what a big time program was all about. He may have been with Bear Bryant but that was at Kentucky, not Bama. I think he was more of the "underdog" type of coach and not a top tier program type of coach. That is probably why he was successful in the places that he won in, none had much football tradition so he could craft his own, heck Miami about dropped football around the time he became head coach.

I still think he was a good coach and builder of programs, just not a top tier coach.

He was with Bear at Bama from '61 to '65, & the Tide won 3 NC's with him as their OC.
I'm no more fond of his time at OU than anyone else here, but to hear some on here say that he's a bad coach is incomprehensible to me. The guy was used to being bigger than the program that he was at, & at OU, there is no such man, period. Bad fit? Absolutely. Bad coach? Please. You don't win at the places he's won at by being bad. One bad year does not a career make.

bluedogok
8/15/2011, 02:37 PM
I wasn't sure if he had an overlap with Bryant at Bama, I just remember seeing something about him at Kentucky. He was also a pretty successful assistant at the Dolphins.

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 02:42 PM
Golly gee Gomer, we've got a certified genius on the board right here. He still lives at his mommy's house in Norman so he knows all the backroads to the game. Isn't he special?

Why don't you stick to baseball instead of coming over here and trying to act like you're more intelligent than...somebody?

Obviously more intelligent than someone here, if you want to make this personal and violate your own board's rules.

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 02:45 PM
TumbleDorkofDookie has lost it.

There was a good reason Miami and OU let that guy go and every fan in Norman could feel it in their bones that the guy had no allegiance to OUr School and used us as a Transition School for his own gain. He lost the job he wanted forever and needed OU to help save his reputation. He ****ed that up while he was here and went on to try and disprove what a lucky SOB he was at Miami and the fact he used and didn't deserve the shot OU gave him.

We love guys that will be loyal to us and restore our good name and recruit good players.

You can speculate all you want about the fact we didn't give him the time he needed but folks close to him learned real quick that he was a fraud.

I think it's obvious he was maybe capable of helping a small School to compete but never was he in a position to take a Div IA School to an Elite Status from ground zero. He was merely a guy that could do impersonations of Talented Coaches.

He was never "let go" at Miami. That factual error simply clouds your entire argument and makes your post unworthy of the time spent reading it.

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 02:50 PM
Look guys, all I'm saying is that I wish we would save our former-coach hatred for that moron that followed The Pipe. He failed here (although his .500 record was far from embarrassing, especially during that time period). He obviously had off-the-field issues and all that. I'll NEVER defend what he did at OU, so I'm not even one to say we "should have given him more time." I'm glad he was let go when he did -- it helped us ... and it probably helped him as he identified some of his own shortcomings at that period in his life. I've even heard him mention that.

I'm just defending him in that to broadly proclaim he's a buffoon and a moron simply because of his one year in Norman is absolutely wrong and puts our fan base in the likes of people who only understand what happens in their own backyard. Don't just be caught up on the happenings on Owen Field and in the Norman city limits, understand there's a big, bright world of college football out there that DOESN'T just include OU, and The Pipe happens to be a fairly prominent -- and respected -- part of that.

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 05:24 PM
pWdd6_ZxX8c

olevetonahill
8/15/2011, 06:09 PM
Obviously more intelligent than someone here, if you want to make this personal and violate your own board's rules.

So let me get this straight , Calling ONE poster a MORAN is a bad thing and against the "RULES" But calling every Poster a MORAN is ok?
Gotcha Moran.:rolleyes:

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 06:25 PM
So let me get this straight , Calling ONE poster a MORAN is a bad thing and against the "RULES" But calling every Poster a MORAN is ok?
Gotcha Moran.:rolleyes:

Never called anyone a "moran." Did say there were some dumb thoughts being articulated. Also said there seemed to be some general ignorance running around, but made sure to point out I meant that in the classical, literal sense and not as a pure insult.

I'll defend Howard and enjoy doing it. I'm bemused by the reaction it gets.

sperry
8/15/2011, 06:53 PM
Never called anyone a "moran." Did say there were some dumb thoughts being articulated. Also said there seemed to be some general ignorance running around, but made sure to point out I meant that in the classical, literal sense and not as a pure insult.

Your argument has no legs to stand on. The fact that Howard did a good job at Miami almost 3 decades ago doesn't change the fact that he's a colossal drunk, a jerk, a buffoon, and hasn't been relevant in football for close to 20 years.

olevetonahill
8/15/2011, 07:00 PM

Well Hell ya know we here fer yer entertainment so kick back and enjoy.:P

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 07:22 PM
Your argument has no legs to stand on. The fact that Howard did a good job at Miami almost 3 decades ago doesn't change the fact that he's a colossal drunk, a jerk, a buffoon, and hasn't been relevant in football for close to 20 years.

If you decide to ignore the fact he built Louisville up from a zilch of a program to one that beat Alabama in a New Year's Day bowl, had the athletic facility there named after him and paved the way for them to be a player on the national scene as well as taking a school from no program to a bowl victory in the shortest amount of time ever done and will, eventually have facilities named after him there, as well, then, yes, you are correct in stating he hasn't been relevant in college football since he left Miami.

Of course, if it doesn't involve Oklahoma football, most OU fans couldn't find any other football stadium with a map, compass and a gps system. Therefore, Ara Parseghian is probably irrelevant to college football in their eyes.

picasso
8/15/2011, 07:30 PM

Not to mention how he screwed over Garrick McGee.

I was one person who thought he was a great hire at first. Ah yes, the Wolverines!

olevetonahill
8/15/2011, 07:39 PM

If you decide to ignore the fact he built Louisville up from a zilch of a program to one that beat Alabama in a New Year's Day bowl, had the athletic facility there named after him and paved the way for them to be a player on the national scene as well as taking a school from no program to a bowl victory in the shortest amount of time ever done and will, eventually have facilities named after him there, as well, then, yes, you are correct in stating he hasn't been relevant in college football since he left Miami.

Of course, if it doesn't involve Oklahoma football, most OU fans couldn't find any other football stadium with a map, compass and a gps system. Therefore, Ara Parseghian is probably irrelevant to college football in their eyes.

You shore do have a purty mouf :hot:

Sooner_Tuf
8/15/2011, 08:43 PM
If the Old Drunk was so good why did he do so bad in Oklahoma where he had more resources?

Answer: Because he's a drunk. Drunks seldom succeed unless it is off the backs of others.

T-Doom the name of this site is Sooner Fans, why are you shocked that people here are Sooner Fans. I think there may be an opportunity available for you at ****** Fans.

TumbleweedDoom
8/15/2011, 09:38 PM
I'm not shocked there are Sooner fans here; I'm shocked at the ignorance displayed toward the sport as a whole here. I guess it's true when people paint us as unknowledgeable fans. And that simply saddens me because we can't seem to evolve.

olevetonahill
8/15/2011, 09:45 PM
I'm not shocked there are Sooner fans here; I'm shocked at the ignorance displayed toward the sport as a whole here. I guess it's true when people paint us as unknowledgeable fans. And that simply saddens me because we can't seem to evolve.

Im sure that if you put forth a little effort that you would find another board where the Posters are so much smarter and enlightened. Then you could be happy.

picasso
8/16/2011, 07:47 AM

I'm beginning to like the idea of saddening a ditz like you. Do you honestly think you're the only OU fan in all of China who thinks Schnellenberger was a good coach? I think Gary Gibbs was a good coach.
That doesn't make them immune to criticism and if you still can't fathom why Schnelly is so hated around here then you must be about 19 years old.

Frozen Sooner
8/16/2011, 07:51 AM
He may have been with Bear Bryant but that was at Kentucky, not Bama.

He was offensive coordinator at Alabama under Bryant. Not sure where you're coming up with the idea he wasn't an assistant here.

delhalew
8/16/2011, 08:44 AM
Only a complete **** up walks into Oklahoma, and disregards the tradition and history. If you think you can walk on Owen Field, and be bigger than the giants who preceded you, you are an arrogant prick whose time here will be short.

delhalew
8/16/2011, 08:49 AM

You are misguided, and confused. Your arrogance is matched only by your lack of insight on Howard's time here. Jesus himself would be hated if he acted like that old drunk did during his time here.

bluedogok
8/16/2011, 09:01 PM
He was offensive coordinator at Alabama under Bryant. Not sure where you're coming up with the idea he wasn't an assistant here.
It was corrected in a post by someone else two posts later.....my comment (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3318844&postcount=48) acknowledging my mistake was right after their post (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3318773&postcount=47).

Some actual reading instead of skimming over following commentary could do some people good :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
8/16/2011, 09:07 PM
Probably. Of course, had someone done cursory investigation of the man's bio first, the whole issue would have been avoided. :D

Sorry, I didn't see those posts somehow.

bluedogok
8/16/2011, 09:14 PM
I was going off of foggy memories from a story read long ago.....I hate having to research what I think I remember anymore. I ain't that old yet.

Frozen Sooner
8/16/2011, 09:17 PM
Heh. Yeah. I'm the same way.